Initial Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Initial Questions

Hi everyone, just became a member of this forum not long ago. I am in the market for a new car soon, and the only one I am interested in is the new TSX.

My current car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX, and I bought it brand new at 17 years old. Fast forward 13 years later, and she (my car) has 196k on her, and it's time for a new one I think, since the AC is going and other items. I plan to keep her by the way since she still runs ok, and will repair the AC soon. On to my point-I am sticking with Honda, based on my past baby, that has been through it all, even driving across country with almost no oil in her (I KNOW WHAT A SIN I MISSED THIS!).

I have been staying up on the TSX, and hope it does not go away. That being said I am in the market for a new, Black or White, 2012 TSX Tech package. I am not sure if I want to spring for the V6, since it is belt driven and not chain driven like the I4, and I don't like the idea of having to have the belt changed at a dealer every 90k. Some common issues I used to read about with the TSX on here included the brake fade issues, having to use moleskin for tinting the windows, and the paint.

Sine I am planning to buy the car and keep it for at least a decade hopefully, I wanted to find out if there were more issues that have came about that I am unaware of. I know I will end up buying the 3M clear bra for the car right after I buy. And tint is a definite since I live in South Florida. Any other issues I should be aware of?

I am sure this will be the first of many of my posts. But wanted to introduce myself and say this is a great forum with a lot of interaction, thanks for all the posts on here I have been reading to stay up to date on this car. I was a big fan of the 09-10 models with the nose and taillights, but like the idea of rear vents, HDD navi, and the white for the newer models. I wish it had this new SMS text feature they are talking about for the new Ilx. But after 13 years with my car, I think I cannot wait any longer.

All the best guys.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
welcome there, looks like you've done some research already.

the brakes are def. not the best.

paint is pretty soft.

moleskin on tint, subjective. i didn't install moleskin when i got my tint, so far its been pretty good and i've gotten no scratches. (almost 2 years i think)

are you getting a manual or an auto? sorry if i missed this in your intro lol, but just FIY there are no manual available in v6, only in the i4

3m clear bra is def. a good idea, i regret not getting it when i first got mine

if you really like the older look, you can always get the bumper/grille off of a 09 and swap it. there are always some in the black market for cheap
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced

I am going for the automatic. Down here in South FL traffic, my leg would be tired in rush hour. I like the idea of the paddle shifters too.

Regarding the brakes, do you mean they don't stop well, or they wear too fast? Keep in mind I am coming from Front discs and Rear Drums on my civic. I just don't want them to be sluggish, on my car now I have to press more than halfway down before they even engage.

I am looking forward to the new technology I have been missing out on, like MID, TPMS, autoclimate, etc...

I want to keep the car stock, but one thing I want to change is to have the LED's for the license plate lights, dome, vanity, and door illumination. I don't know if something this small would effect the electrical system.

One other question I thought of is, I have Sirius on a starmate in my civic, when I get the Acura, I am going to get the XM with best of Sirius since it only comes with XM. Now that the Navi/Radio is on the HDD, can you rewind satellite channels, like you can on some of the newer cars, I know Dodge you can do that which seems pretty convenient. Howard Stern has me cracking up quite a bit-Ba Ba Booey!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Steering is atrocious. Love everything else about it. Everything!

Splurge for the 6MT. You'll be glad you did. I live in ATL... probably much worse traffic than you're accustomed to. Still would never get the TSX in an auto. It's a night/day difference between how it drives. Bottom line: make sure you test drive both versions. If I were a betting man, I'd say you'll land on the 6MT.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
First off, I would like to commend you on keeping your car for 13 years! Your first car too!

I too keep cars for really long time. I love it.

I don't know any long term stuff with this car, but ask me in 9 years and I'll let you know :p I too plan to keep my car for at least 10 years. We can compare notes then.

Brakes - they stop well (I've experienced 80 to 0 with it and I survived), but the problem that most people complain about is the feeling of it ~ some say "mushy". They are not bad brakes per se, but as with everything in life, can always be better.

LEDs - check out the interior LED thread or busby's Progress thread for the exLEDusa package. They don't affect electronics in the car, but for some that it has, just replace them with the stock bulbs before going to the dealer and having them fix it.

Don't know about rewinding XM since I never tried that or renewed my free trial.

Automatic woo!

Have you test drove one yet?

and lastly, Welcome!~
The following users liked this post:
kk0033 (10-19-2019)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Welcome, sir. I commend you on your first post, complete with paragraphs, correct grammar and spelling, and lucid points. One of the better ones in recent memory.

I haven't heard of any major problems with the 2012s. I think there was someone who had some issues with the buttons on the steering wheel. Another had some weird vibrations at high speed. Unlike some of the issues with the '09s and '10s (such as premature brake wear, blown speakers, etc.), the ones I've heard of so far seem to be isolated incidents.

I'm driving a white 2011 with tech package, and I'm pretty happy with it. Since you're coming from a Civic, I think you'll find the 2012 a nice improvement. Again, welcome, and please do keep us apprised!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
welcome.

fairly new wagon owner here.

leds were NP. exLED full kit.

window stuff....my bud Tom went with moleskin for about a week before bringing it back to stock due to all the additional road noise. try to keep them clean is best we can do.

i am coming from a v8 jeep and am happy with the 4. I would suspect the MT6 would be much more fun though

I am having ssome high speed vibration and some dash buzzing with that. only problem one month in.

i am happy with my purchase of the 12 4AT GLM Tech Wagon
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Dude, you're going to make me cry. This is one of the greatest introduction threads ever. You need to get a TSX just because of the fact that you'd make a great addition to this forum LOL.

As said before, problems:
-Moleskin issue was big on the first gen TSX, but not for the second gen
-Brakes make a lot of noise and dust, but I think the distance for them is okay. The new ones should have their "New and Upgraded Brakes"
-GET THE CLEARBRA. DO IT. JUST DO IT. CLEARBRA THE WHOLE DAMN CAR. Especially the front bumper, hood, and door handle cups. Acura paint sucks.

And two of the biggest regrets about my TSX: I wish I had gotten the V6 or I wish I had gotten the 6MT. So test drive them both and make sure that you won't sit on this forum and regret your choice whenever a new member shows up with one of those...

On car longevity, I also plan to be keeping my car around ten or more years. I told myself "The next car I get will have to be better than the TSX, no downgrading" so I'll be having the TSX for a while LOL. All three of us can compare notes in 10 or so years, okay? Hopefully we won't be the only long-term members on here...

And we'll wait for the mod bug to bite you

Overall, welcome to the forums!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp
welcome.

fairly new wagon owner here.

leds were NP. exLED full kit.

window stuff....my bud Tom went with moleskin for about a week before bringing it back to stock due to all the additional road noise. try to keep them clean is best we can do.

i am coming from a v8 jeep and am happy with the 4. I would suspect the MT6 would be much more fun though

I am having ssome high speed vibration and some dash buzzing with that. only problem one month in.

i am happy with my purchase of the 12 4AT GLM Tech Wagon
Why would moleskin affect wind noise? In the BMW 3 series (where moleskin was a requirement) the moleskin was placed over the secondary wipe in the door so there would be no impact on road noise.

Moleskin is generally a "you need it to keep the tint from scratching" or "what the hell is moleskin?" discussion. You either need it based the door swipe design or you don't.

On the TSX it seems to be hit-or-miss.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Thank you all for the helpful information, exactly what I was looking for on the forum. I am beyond excited to get my new car, now comes the fun part of trying to get a deal on the car down here in Florida.

I have test driven the 4 cyl before, and it felt nice and peppy, however this is compared to a 127hp civic that I have driven for 13 years. I do want to test drive the V6, and I know this test drive will result in me going for a V6. I will want to spring for it based on the additional hp and the bigger wheels. The only downsides to the V6 with owning the car are the gas, insurance, timing belt vs chain, and if anything goes on it it will be more expensive since it is a V6. But why think logical in this case I ponder... Half the women I've dated are based on illogical factors but at least I won't be tired of taking my TSX for a ride.

Too many decisions V6 vs I4, then black vs white color, then oem body kit/deck lid spoiler. But I will definitely be purchasing the clear bra for the entire front half of the car on the day of purchase.
ed_423 (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

My recommendation is to either not test drive the V6 or to test it on your normal commute during your normal hours.

It is very easy on a test drive to be swayed by the extra power but it probably won't do anything for you in daily driving.

I came from a 300hp BMW and found the 4cyl more nimble than the V6 on my commute. Had I driven the V6 on a traffic-less Sunday morning then I probably would have bought that - regretting it only at the pump but not getting any benefit from the extra displacement.
TSXy Luster (04-06-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the V6! I never thought I'd buy the V6 bc I was always looking for a I4....but after test driving it once...I bought a v6 CPO 2010.

Where are you driving? City primarily? If so, then I4 is prob the better bet bc you wont even get to use the power and end up just paying for extra gas. But the V6 is much more fun! I get between 22-24mpg (I live in the suburbs). Though I'm not a speed demon, the power is alot of fun on the freeway and good when you need it.

You kinda seem like me....I kept my last car for 7 years (acura cl) and loved it..before it got stolen. I plan on keeping this car for 10 years. Buy something that you will NOT regret.

Now for the paint color. Black is my fav one. But it's a PAIN to keep looking nice, plus swirls and scratches are more so easy visible, I don't like bright/light colors, though I only found 2 cpo V6's within 2 hr so my choice was limited regardless.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I came from a 1990 Civic Si with 265K miles and 18 years ownership.

If you really want a 2012 model with Navi and ELS system, then your only choice in transmission will be a 5AT as both the Base and Tech model do not offer the 6MT option. In order to get a 6MT, you need to order the SE model which does not include any Tech feature.

Good luck in your search in Florida.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IndycarFaster
I am going for the automatic. Down here in South FL traffic, my leg would be tired in rush hour. I like the idea of the paddle shifters too.

Regarding the brakes, do you mean they don't stop well, or they wear too fast? Keep in mind I am coming from Front discs and Rear Drums on my civic. I just don't want them to be sluggish, on my car now I have to press more than halfway down before they even engage.

I am looking forward to the new technology I have been missing out on, like MID, TPMS, autoclimate, etc...

I want to keep the car stock, but one thing I want to change is to have the LED's for the license plate lights, dome, vanity, and door illumination. I don't know if something this small would effect the electrical system.

One other question I thought of is, I have Sirius on a starmate in my civic, when I get the Acura, I am going to get the XM with best of Sirius since it only comes with XM. Now that the Navi/Radio is on the HDD, can you rewind satellite channels, like you can on some of the newer cars, I know Dodge you can do that which seems pretty convenient. Howard Stern has me cracking up quite a bit-Ba Ba Booey!
i have the 6MT and i drive in DC traffic, though i avoid the beltway and other stuff during rush hour. there's still a good amount of congestion on my commute, though. my advice would be to test drive the manual and see if you enjoy DRIVING it. if you do, get the stick. it's not a truck clutch, and it's probably a softer pedal than your old civic, assuming that's a manual. the 1st and 2nd gen manual transmissions are low effort and high reward.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Why would moleskin affect wind noise? In the BMW 3 series (where moleskin was a requirement) the moleskin was placed over the secondary wipe in the door so there would be no impact on road noise.

Moleskin is generally a "you need it to keep the tint from scratching" or "what the hell is moleskin?" discussion. You either need it based the door swipe design or you don't.

On the TSX it seems to be hit-or-miss.

i only know what I saw and heard ceb. he had the last model TL. they didnt ADD moleskin but it replaced the OEm. this was all done at mile High Acura.

And lots of road noise was experienced....and in a few weeks he changed it back/

sorry its second hand info but thats all I have.

maybe someone who has done it on a TSX could speak up.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robpp
i only know what I saw and heard ceb. he had the last model TL. they didnt ADD moleskin but it replaced the OEm. this was all done at mile High Acura.

And lots of road noise was experienced....and in a few weeks he changed it back/

sorry its second hand info but thats all I have.

maybe someone who has done it on a TSX could speak up.
I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning what you heard, but logically that makes no sense - unless they also did something with the swipe on the outside of the car.

On the TSX/TL, it appears that you only add moleskin to the swipe at the top of the interior door panel (I assume there is no secondary swipe like on BMW) and I can't see how that would add to road noise in the seast bit.

I wonder what MileHigh did?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Goodbye.

Get the I4, and then save the extra money you would've paid for the V6 and go buy yourself a nice present, like a bed full of money to jump in and roll around.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
Steering is atrocious. Love everything else about it. Everything!

Splurge for the 6MT. You'll be glad you did. I live in ATL... probably much worse traffic than you're accustomed to. Still would never get the TSX in an auto. It's a night/day difference between how it drives. Bottom line: make sure you test drive both versions. If I were a betting man, I'd say you'll land on the 6MT.
This is largely my view. The TSX is a wonderful blend of driving enjoyment, practicality, and reliability. I absolutely love the engine, shifter/clutch, suspension tuning, seats, and ergonomics. But the numb steering is a serious bummer IMO. With the fuel efficiency gains from electric assist, it's becoming the norm, and even BMW and Porsche are now being hammered for the lack of feedback from their electrically assisted steering racks.

Also, I've experienced too many rattles, clunks, and the like, which really surprised me from a Honda. Relative to other cars, the TSX doesn't seem to have the vault-like solidity of Hondas and Acuras from, say, the late 1980's through the 1990's. My dad's 1990 Legend Coupe was as solid as a Benz.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I came from an '02 Civic Coupe. I had the car almost a decade and the only problem I ever had with it was that the door lock actuators failed and had to be replaced.

I wanted to be thorough in my research so I test drove a ton of different types of cars from Subaru to Benz. After the dust settled - the TSX was the clear winner. Best overall value for sure! Obviously, almost any car from an "upscale" brand will feel like an improvement from the Civic. Of course, you loose that lovely go-cart feel, which I do sometimes miss - but at least now I don't need to "anticipate" hills by getting enough momentum to stay at the speed limit.

Also, the tech system's user interface is the most intuitive of any car I have driven.

If you are concerned about the soft paint, I'd get the car in white w/bra. I have a 2011 in white and the paint looks fantastic (I've had the car almost a year). Dark cars will show superficial blemishes. Also, appearance-wise, it's hard to beat a white car with tint (IMO).

Happy shopping!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
This is largely my view. The TSX is a wonderful blend of driving enjoyment, practicality, and reliability. I absolutely love the engine, shifter/clutch, suspension tuning, seats, and ergonomics. But the numb steering is a serious bummer IMO. With the fuel efficiency gains from electric assist, it's becoming the norm, and even BMW and Porsche are now being hammered for the lack of feedback from their electrically assisted steering racks.

Also, I've experienced too many rattles, clunks, and the like, which really surprised me from a Honda. Relative to other cars, the TSX doesn't seem to have the vault-like solidity of Hondas and Acuras from, say, the late 1980's through the 1990's. My dad's 1990 Legend Coupe was as solid as a Benz.
Have you tried Hyundai & Kia's steering? You might as well tattoo on your forehead: DONOR
Even on test drives, I felt like I was playing with a Fisher Price knockoff toy kit.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work on keeping your current car for 13 years and almost 200k miles. I think you'll hear alot of different opinions on the TSX and take them each with a grain of salt.

The TSX will be a HUGE upgrade from your civic, I came from a 2000 civic I owned for 4 years and a 1997 accord I owned for 1 year.

-Steering is subjective, it is electronic so there isn't as much "feel" as some on here may want but it works perfectly fine for daily and spirited driving. I have no complaints and it saves some fuel over the older hydraulic setup.
-Brakes are also good, the 09s and some 10's had problems but ours is a later 2010 with over 22,000 miles and the brakes still good with are well over 50% life left. My wife drives our mostly (50% city) and the brake dust isn't very bad, her Grand Cherokee was alot worse. After three weeks or 750 miles or so it will start looking bad if I haven't washed it.
-The 4 cylinder Automatic is what we purchased due to mpg and my wife not wanting the hassel of a manual, had it just been me I would have got the 6-spd in a heart beat. The auto is fine, and these transmissions in the 2004 TSX to current have proven reliable, unlike some early 2000s honda transmissions. Our lifetime average is about 30mpg indicated or 28 hand calculated.
-Paint, the TSX is made in Japan and I was told the paint quality is a little higher quality then the TL but we do have some paint chips from daily driving, nothing bad.

If your going to keep this car 10+ years then the 4 cylinder is the one for you. You'll save some fuel and have lower maintenance costs. Test drive one and you will be amazed at what 13 years of techonlogy has done for honda 4 cylinder power and fuel economy.

This 2010 tsx is quicker, heavier, and gets better mpg then my old 97 accord with the 2.2 VTEC 5-spd transmission.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Have you tried Hyundai & Kia's steering? You might as well tattoo on your forehead: DONOR
Even on test drives, I felt like I was playing with a Fisher Price knockoff toy kit.
Yes, I have driven some recent Kias, and their steering is much worse than the TSX, as the steering in my dad's 2010 Ford Fusion which is a good comparison because it has exactly the same tires. But the steering in the new Focus is better. As electric steering goes, the TSX might be better than average, but it isn't nearly as satisfying as good hydraulic systems. It isn't good enough for a sport sedan IMO.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You definitely will be happy with your choice....

As for the moleskin I havnt understood that issue fully. If someone could say why the TSX specifically needs the moleskin vs all cars needing it that would help.

As for the brakes..They are average. Not the best but not bad either. They are decent. Although my front rotors are warped somehow and Ive read for a few others theirs are warped too..I dont know how at 30,000 of ALL HIGHWAY driving they can warp but maybe it was just a defective set...Still, not planning on changing them the stopping power is very acceptable....
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by IndycarFaster
T
I have test driven the 4 cyl before, and it felt nice and peppy, however this is compared to a 127hp civic that I have driven for 13 years. I do want to test drive the V6, and I know this test drive will result in me going for a V6. I will want to spring for it based on the additional hp and the bigger wheels. The only downsides to the V6 with owning the car are the gas, insurance, timing belt vs chain, and if anything goes on it it will be more expensive since it is a V6.
I have a 2011 v6 and the insurance (Geico) is actually $200 cheaper than when I had a H6 Subaru Legacy (my avatar).

I also drove the I4 as a loaner and it's nice. It's definitely more tossable than the v6. It drives great around town and the mileage is much better than advertised. On the highway you may miss the extra horses of the v6. With the I4, you can pass via downshift but it take a little more planning. With the v6, you can do whatever you want, when you want, and you don't have to be at 4000 rpm when you do it.

Using premium still hurts after being a "regular" guy my whole driving life. Mileage on the V6 is pretty decent. I average 27-28mpg with 40% highway driving. I can get close to 35mpg with mostly highway driving.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I feel the same way! It just seems like they're trying to save money and get us to spend money. I do feel the car is a little "cheap" so to speak. My friends uncle had a Vigor and that thing was solid.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see a lot of people complaining about the steering....so is it basically weightless? I absolutely hate the steering in audis for this....love my meat gti steering...anybody got any comparisons against a 2012 tsx and a gti or Audi?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pakjk
I see a lot of people complaining about the steering....so is it basically weightless? I absolutely hate the steering in audis for this....love my meat gti steering...anybody got any comparisons against a 2012 tsx and a gti or Audi?
The steering is fine. It is no different than any electrically assisted steering in new BMW's, GTI's or Audis.