AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   I do not hear VTEC kickin in (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/i-do-not-hear-vtec-kickin-979864/)

Matt Lumpkins 05-29-2019 02:07 AM

I do not hear VTEC kickin in

So after 5000 RPM I am suppose to hear something right? Well it just sounds like a regular old engine. I keep hearing all these inside jokes and comments about hearing the VTEC kick in but this is my first VTEC engine and I have no freakin idea what this means.

And what exactly is VTEC and how is it different from other engines other than being able to rev a little higher?

Asking for a friend.

HAHA! I just wanted to check in and start another annoying thread and see if any homies are around. Respect.

Midnight Mystery 05-29-2019 02:33 AM

Put it in second gear at 20 mph, give it 1/2 throttle until redline, at around 5K rpm, you should hear the engine note deepen and the pull become stronger... It will also begin to rev raster...

Midnight Mystery 05-29-2019 02:35 AM

Kinda like this...

Midnight Mystery 05-29-2019 02:37 AM

:wave: Matt!

justnspace 05-29-2019 05:18 AM

on the older H and B series, the cam profile for vtec was quite shocking. literally.

these newer acuras with the J and K series have a smoother transition between the lower profile and more aggressive cam profile, so you wont feel or hear the switch

BROlando 05-29-2019 10:57 AM

Its not true that the K has a quiet crossover. The crossover from ANY dual cam, three lobe VTEC engine can be heard from miles away.

The K24Z in the 2G TSX doesn't fall under that distinction....but you can still hear it.

The TSX K24Z only has VTEC on the intake cam (lift and VVT). It also has a ton of baffling and muffling on the intake.

Put it in sport manual. Lock it into 2nd at 10mph. Floor it until you pass 5K RPM. You can hear it if you can hear sounds. Its clear AF.

FWIW, the loudest, most dramatic crossovers happen at higher RPM. High RPM is a relative term...relative to displacement, VE, and airflow rates. The K24A2, for example, is gigantic, inhales MASSIVE air, and has a 6K crossover. For those reasons...the crossover noise will blow out your ear drums if the car doesn't have an intake muffler.

The reason for all this drama and noise is that, under those conditions, the primary (small) cam is way past its capability, and the engine is being starved for air. There's a plateau in power. Then the MASSIVE secondary cam profile turns on and the engine takes in a big breath of air and starts making power again.

If you lower VTEC engagement on any of these engines, it makes crossover less dramatic.

Should make sense if you haven't fallen asleep reading my boring story.

Matt Lumpkins 05-29-2019 07:12 PM

I CAN NOT HEAR IT. I am always right. I have an acurazine.com sticker, YOU PEASANT! HAHA JK Good to see everyone. Car is still holding up AWESOMELY. The bottom splash guard was having a piece hang down and making a bunch of noise, but since Acura is so damn reliable, it just ripped off clean and basically fixed itself.

Oh I found a local shop that works on stuff and they rescrewed a little screw on the intake that came loose and needed a locking bolt. They did that for free! The intake sounds amazing. I don't think it added much power. I really want to get a tune. Someone claimed that I could tweak the vtech to kick in earlier and gain 20 ponies or so but it would cause the car to be unreliable. If I could find proof of that, and then get talked into thinking it does not decrease reliability, I would totally get a tuner and shoot my buddy a request for an ETUNE and get more out of the intake and engine in general.

I will look closer for the VTEC kicking in. The intake is so loud and I can hear so much engine noise that I seriously should have heard something by now. I turned off my stereo, that helped a lot. I heard it after that. JK but I think I heard a new suction sound after 5000rpm is that it?? IS IT KICKIN IN YET?!?

Matt Lumpkins 05-29-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16432086)
Kinda like this...

https://youtu.be/f3UKNwxf_Ng

Dude! Mine definitely does not kick in like that, haha. My vtec must be broken.

Ken1997TL 05-29-2019 10:19 PM

If you want VTEC Yo™ in earnest, I highly recommend an S2000 :)

Matt Lumpkins 05-29-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL (Post 16432599)
If you want VTEC Yo™ in earnest, I highly recommend an S2000 :)

Haha you TMd the Yo

WheelMcCoy 06-03-2019 09:58 AM

The TSX is for grownups! It's less "VTEC Yo™" and more "VTEC has engaged." Peak torque comes on at 4300 rpm, so when VTEC engages at 5000+ rpm, the pull won't be as dramatic as it once was. Redline arrives shortly at 7000 rpms, so there's not as much rpm room play in VTEC. Sound will also be muted because the TSX has more sound deadening than a Civic or S2000.

I do hear and feel VTEC in my TSX Wagon. It's just that I have to look for it. In the old days, VTEC finds you!

dopeboy1 06-03-2019 10:30 AM

As long as you can feel it, does it really matter if you can hear it?

losiglow 06-03-2019 10:37 AM

VTEC didn't seem to be as pronounced with my TSX as compared to the TL's I've owned. Then again, I had modded exhausts for the TL's whereas the TSX was stock. The exhaust tone is more noticeable with most exhaust mods so detecting engine behavior like RPM's and VTEC is easier.

WheelMcCoy 06-03-2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16434233)
As long as you can feel it, does it really matter if you can hear it?

Ah, that's the sound of one hand clapping.

Matt Lumpkins 06-05-2019 10:03 AM

Yo, can I tune my car to get vtec to kick it at 1000 rpm?

dopeboy1 06-05-2019 10:32 AM

Why limit yourself?

Have it kick in at idle!

Matt Lumpkins 06-05-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16435463)
Why limit yourself?

Have it kick in at idle!

Haha. I want it to kick in + NOS during reverse.

Midnight Mystery 06-05-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins (Post 16435450)
Yo, can I tune my car to get vtec to kick it at 1000 rpm?

You could... But you don't want to...

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins (Post 16435472)
Haha. I want it to kick in + NOS during reverse.

:rip:

BROlando 06-06-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16434237)
VTEC didn't seem to be as pronounced with my TSX as compared to the TL's I've owned. Then again, I had modded exhausts for the TL's whereas the TSX was stock. The exhaust tone is more noticeable with most exhaust mods so detecting engine behavior like RPM's and VTEC is easier.

Similar to a D series (VTEC only on intake cam), putting an exhaust on the 2G TSX will almost surely make the crossover MORE difficult to detect.

You're drowning out the induction noise. VTEC only works on the induction side on these (K24Z TSX) engines. Or am I mistaken?

losiglow 06-06-2019 01:04 PM

Couldn't tell ya for sure. I know it's only on the intake for the J35 in the 4G TL but not sure about the K series.

As far as sound goes, I'm just stating my observations. It's a little bit apples to oranges since when I've noticed it, it's been on V6's, not 4's.