How stupid would it be to trade a TSX for ILX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How stupid would it be to trade a TSX for ILX

I'm actually contemplating it.

My TSX is a 2011 BLACK Pearl with Tech. I purchased it on 6/25/2011 so it's almost one year. However it only has 3,150 miles on it since I don't drive it except on weekends. It's not a lease, I purchased it.

I wonder if I could get close to even trade... Probably not but I might go in and take a look and see what kind of value it has. Kind of like the idea of a new car.

I know 99% of you would probably be against it, but just wondering.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm trying to do something similar, a 2011 PWP w/ Tech, leased in August 2011, just under 5,000 miles. Checking local listings around here, non-tech 2011s are going for 28-29, and my buyout is just over 30, so things are a lot better than a few months ago.

What condition is your car in? If it's in good condition, the low mileage should help it get pretty good value. You might want to try a private sale as well, but of course it won't be as easy as trading it in.

Financially speaking, it's not the best thing to do, but if it's something you really want to do, I'm not against it. Have you tried driving the ILX yet? One thing about this "new" car is that it's the first run of a new model. I know the CU2 had its issues when it first came out, so something to consider for the DE1/2/3.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Very stupid, don't do it.
Though i can see the appeal.
It's like trading in a Honda Accord for a Civic. Actually, that's exactly what it is. lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSXKid2010:
MC MiYoung3269 (06-24-2012), odus (06-22-2012), pbhak002 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
Very stupid, don't do it.
Though i can see the appeal.
It's like trading in a Honda Accord for a Civic. Actually, that's exactly what it is. lol.
I do agree with tsxkid's opinion too. not sure which trim you were looking at getting though. It can come equipped with the same k24 that's in the tsx or is it the one thats in the new Civic SI either way it doesn't seem as bad a downgrade as the accord to civic example. Compare options and take a test drive and see which you prefer.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do take the biggest hit in depreciation the first 2 years so you really, really have to want to do this. A private sale will net you the most money especially since it's so new. And being that the ILX is so new, it's unlikely the dealer will come down on price at this point. So you will lose out on both fronts.

Trading down isn't always a bad thing if your needs are better met with the newer car. I traded my 2004 TL for a 2012 TSX Wagon. It's a step down but I have 2 kids and want better fuel economy with now high gas prices. But I also didn't take a huge hit in depreciation being that my car was already 8 years old with 120k on the odometer.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Let's look at this rationally, not emotionally.

The OP wants a new car. Why? What doesn't he like about the TSX?

The TSX is basically a new car with only three years left on the warranty. The dealer will give you between $24k and 25k on trade and will most likely not deal on the ILX. according to both USAA and TrueCar, the ILX target price is slightly above MSRP.

The OP should lease his next car.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Not that stupid, the ilx has acura's newest design language which is pretty handsome, it has the civic si drive train which means TONS more aftermarket support, it will age better since the design language just came out, and it has keyless start which I wish I had. If I had a 4cyl tsx I would definately consider trading for an ILX 2.4 but since I have a 6cyl I love my sound and power wouldn't trade her for anything... except maybe an e-shawd model next gen tl(tsx,tlx) which I doubt I will be able to afford lol
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
I wouldn't do it. No way. Not because the ILX is an inferior car but like some have already mentioned, you would take a huge hit on your 2011 TSX. If you don't mind that, then go for it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend against it - the ILX is an interesting car, but the TSX is a level up from it.

ILX is a Civic with lipstick... and the current Civic isn't that good, no matter how you dress it up. It's still a pig...
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Cars are money drains unless you buy and sell collectibles. Selling a car in the first year is a huge waste of money. And especially if you only have 3k miles on it. You'll have paid the depreciation out of your own pocket and at the same time haven't gotten any use value out of it (the only real value that a car has is its use value.) If you realize what one year of ownership and 3k miles has just now cost you, you will realize how much money has been tossed down the drain.

Even if you "trade even" (which won't happen) that is only psychologically helpful. The fact is, you'll be trading something of higher initial value (that you paid for) for something of lesser value. Like trading somebody two ounces of gold for only one. I think you need to put actual figures down on paper to help show you what you are really doing to make it all sink home. Then there are the ancillary fees all over again: DMV; taxes, etc.. (esp if you live in a state that requires tax on all purchases despite trade-in value.)

Since you bought the car, keep it for 4-5 more years and then sell it. The ILX (or something even better) will still be there for you.

Otherwise, if you always feel the need for something different then lease only and never buy. Just figure that car rental will be a part of your annual expenses in your life, and budget accordingly.

Last edited by turning japanese; 06-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need to factor in the tax that you paid on the new car that you will not recoup....that is gone, you are not going to get close to original cost including tax and especially here in cali, where the tax is steep...keep the tsx...as other have said, going to an ilx is a step down, despite it being the latest from acura.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Others have covered the financial downside pretty well.

If money didn't matter, I still don't understand why the OP would trade in an almost new TSX for a new ILX? For all we know, the TSX could become a collector's car when Acura eventually kills the TSX line.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Pro

We just picked up a TSX Wagon 3 weeks ago and will be in the market once again around Thanksgiving to replace our aging 325i. I'm thinking of getting a TSX SE. The ILX just seem like a step lower imo.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonzo08452
We just picked up a TSX Wagon 3 weeks ago and will be in the market once again around Thanksgiving to replace our aging 325i. I'm thinking of getting a TSX SE. The ILX just seem like a step lower imo.
It's interesting that you say that about the ILX. While I was waiting on the finance manager this past Monday to finish my purchase, I was seated next to an ILX. It was nice. I liked the sheet metal. But as I looked inside, I immediately noticed how cramped it was and how bland the interior design was compared to the TSX.

BTW, how has your BMW treated you? A buddy of mine has a 2005 330xi 6 Speed manual and his is a total money pit. We all own Japanese cars and he was the first one to venture into the German brands and paid dearly for it, figuratively and literally. There were constant electrical gremlins. In the 8 years I owned my 2004 TL, I've only spend about $350 replacing truly failed components, all by myself with a shop manual and the TL forums here. The tally included a new starter, HID ignitor, and 2 rear calipers. I went with remanufactured parts and Ebay which saved me a bundle.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dsc888
It's interesting that you say that about the ILX. While I was waiting on the finance manager this past Monday to finish my purchase, I was seated next to an ILX. It was nice. I liked the sheet metal. But as I looked inside, I immediately noticed how cramped it was and how bland the interior design was compared to the TSX.

BTW, how has your BMW treated you? A buddy of mine has a 2005 330xi 6 Speed manual and his is a total money pit. We all own Japanese cars and he was the first one to venture into the German brands and paid dearly for it, figuratively and literally. There were constant electrical gremlins. In the 8 years I owned my 2004 TL, I've only spend about $350 replacing truly failed components, all by myself with a shop manual and the TL forums here. The tally included a new starter, HID ignitor, and 2 rear calipers. I went with remanufactured parts and Ebay which saved me a bundle.
Best car I've ever owned thus far. Its a white 5spd w/ Sport/Premium/xenon/H.Kardon. Its been super reliable but its geting up there in mileage. We recently took it to Seattle and averaged a little over 31.5 there and back. Our plan is to give it to my nephew who will be attending UCLA. At least thats the plan for now. I may end up keeping it if he decides he wants something else. Heck, I'm still waiting for its first door ding after 10years **knocks on wood**. The e46 imo is the best design of the 3series. Love the interior design and the timeless lines. Not only that, that torquey inline 6 is one heck of a motor. Low maintenance and relatively easy to work on. I'm hoping our TSX will be just as rewarding. I'm also looking at a the Impreza Sport as an option. BTW,this car is the reason we didn't purchase the extended warranty on the TSX. We used the extended warranty once on the 325 to replace a left rear window regulator.

Last edited by gonzo08452; 06-23-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The e46 was reliable. The e90 (especially in turbo guise) is a money pit. My 2009 was the most unreliable car I've ever owned and the only one to have left me stranded not only once, but three times - and I owned pre-Ford Jaguars and a slew of 1950's, 60's and 70's Mercedes Benz. No other car ever left me stuck on the side of the road even once.

I'm probably one of the few people who consider going from a 300hp 335 to a TSX as a major upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
drivedata (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Getting back to the topic at hand - the OP hasn't told us why he is considering a trade. Perhaps there is something that he dislikes about the TSX that is the reason for him wanting to change. Maybe the OP really wants keyless start or some other feature that isn't available on the TSX.

I miss keyless start more than I would have imagined - but not enough to trade for an ILX Now, after I've owned the car 4 months (and 8000 miles) I still find myself unlocking the car and sticking the key back in my pocket - only to get into the car and not have my key handy. I would have thought that I'd miss the keyfobless entry more than keyless start, but having to dig the key out of my pocket uncertain I'm sitting in the car is annoying.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
How stupid you ask?

Pretty stupid.

You'll be losing money on a car you havent got your moneys worth for, on top of paying additional payments for a new car, which happens to be a downgrade from the TSX.

having a push start is not worth being thousands of dollar short.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
you will be making a mistake. interesting note my dad traded his Sh awd for a 2012 model and the salesman had the balls to tell my mom the ILX is the same size as the TSX????? what i wish i was there.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I hope the OP has driven the ILX. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car, but at the same price point a the TSX why anyone would buy it I haven't a clue. It drives exactly like a civic, bumps come directly into the cabin without being muffled. THe interior is nice enough but it is a bit smaller. The fit and finish is very nice, but in the end it really is a Honda Civic. You could argue the same with the TSX being an Accord however, at least here in North America, that's not true. The TSX fits what I wanted perfectly. The TL was too big and had already gone way over the top with the shield look, and the TSX had what I wanted, if you said I could trade even my TSX for an ILX I would keep my TSX.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
ILX sucks, it has no room and is too small. My head almost scrapes the roof with the seat all the way down and I am only 6'1". It has a weaker drive train, and it costs the same a TSX. don't get how these are going to sell in comparison, the TSX is superior in every aspect and costs on a few thousand more.
What they need to do is shrink the TL to a size that is more similar to the 3rd generation style. It looks way cooler too back then.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Pro

Why not just get a loaded Si?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Pro

I'm probably the only one on here who dislikkes push-start which btw, come standard on the el-cheapo stripper base Altima w/no radio.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
why not just get that crazy alibaba keyless kit, slap it on the tsx and call it a day?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Interesting regarding pricing. Up here difference between Ilx tech and Tsx tech is $5,700.00 and our taxes are 12 percent which adds another $684.00. So Tsx works out to $6384.00 more so I can see why the decision may be a little tougher decision up here. Mind you I think they are just starting a $2000.00 reduction on Tsx for cash purchase up here.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Have you tried out the ILX? That is the biggest thing: do you like it? If you can answer that then, that's a first step.

Personally, I think you have options if you are thinking of trading in the TSX.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by turning japanese
Cars are money drains unless you buy and sell collectibles. Selling a car in the first year is a huge waste of money. And especially if you only have 3k miles on it. You'll have paid the depreciation out of your own pocket and at the same time haven't gotten any use value out of it (the only real value that a car has is its use value.) If you realize what one year of ownership and 3k miles has just now cost you, you will realize how much money has been tossed down the drain.

Even if you "trade even" (which won't happen) that is only psychologically helpful. The fact is, you'll be trading something of higher initial value (that you paid for) for something of lesser value. Like trading somebody two ounces of gold for only one. I think you need to put actual figures down on paper to help show you what you are really doing to make it all sink home. Then there are the ancillary fees all over again: DMV; taxes, etc.. (esp if you live in a state that requires tax on all purchases despite trade-in value.)

Since you bought the car, keep it for 4-5 more years and then sell it. The ILX (or something even better) will still be there for you.

Otherwise, if you always feel the need for something different then lease only and never buy. Just figure that car rental will be a part of your annual expenses in your life, and budget accordingly.
^Exactly this! I don't see any real reason to get an ILX if you already have a TSX i-4. Even the ad kind of sucks: "The kind of car your dad would have driven if he hadn't had you' - really? that makes me want one - not!

I have yet to see one in person, but the print ad doesn't scream buy-me to me anyway. If I was going to unload a TSX, I would go with the new Suburu BRZ or Scion FR-S and have a truly different car for that price range. Those cars deserve the ILX ad title.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm probably the only one on here who dislikkes push-start which btw, come standard on the el-cheapo stripper base Altima w/no radio.
You're not the only one.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
If you've never had keyless, then you don't know what you're missing. But once you've had it you'll miss it tremendously.

What's not to like when you can access your car and drive away while never having to ever reach for a key? You just keep the key in your pocket and never, ever have to take it out. It's the best option in the world. And not having it in the TSX is a PITA. Instead I have to fumble for a stupid key all the time just to open the damn door which sucks especially when your hands are full and it's raining and you're in a hurry, etc...

And if it's standard on the "el-cheapo stripper base Altima" then it just shows how 'cheapo' Acura is being by not having it standard on the TSX.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by turning japanese
If you've never had keyless, then you don't know what you're missing. But once you've had it you'll miss it tremendously.

What's not to like when you can access your car and drive away while never having to ever reach for a key? You just keep the key in your pocket and never, ever have to take it out. It's the best option in the world. And not having it in the TSX is a PITA. Instead I have to fumble for a stupid key all the time just to open the damn door which sucks especially when your hands are full and it's raining and you're in a hurry, etc...

And if it's standard on the "el-cheapo stripper base Altima" then it just shows how 'cheapo' Acura is being by not having it standard on the TSX.
Correct. The technology isn't that difficult or expensive to implement. The fob-less entry is more expensive to do but I don't miss that as much as the keyless start.

Getting back on topic - the OP still hasn't told us what he dislikes about his TSX - he may have a legitimate gripe about the car.

In that case, a swap may make sense but if he merely has "new car fever" then he really needs to run the numbers to see if it is worth it for him.

Last edited by ceb; 06-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Correct. The technology isn't that difficult or expensive to implement. The fob-less entry is more expensive to do but I don't miss that as much as the keyless start.

Getting back on topic - the OP still hasn't told us what he dislikes about his TSX - he may have a legitimate gripe about the car.

In that case, a swap may make sense but if he merely has "new car fever" then he really needs to run the numbers to see if it is worth it for him.

In the meantime, we can all just speculate

Last edited by gonzo08452; 06-25-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
On Truecar in my area, An ILX 2.0 w/ tech is going for $400 dollars more than a TSX w/ tech. I think that is insane. At the same price or more than the TSX, I think that is a bad deal.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I like the ILX but trading in a 2G TSX for one is just plain stupid.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
To be fair at first I didnt like the ILX, I saw one driving around my area today; its not a bad looking car - but it should not be in the same price range as a TSX--- it should be and looks like a sub 25k car
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

In the meantime, we can all just speculate
Correct. I think everyone agrees that it makes little sense financially, so unless the OP comes back with a reason why he doesn't like the TSX this thread is dead.
The following users liked this post:
gonzo08452 (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Correct. I think everyone agrees that it makes little sense financially, so unless the OP comes back with a reason why he doesn't like the TSX this thread is dead.

you know, Yankee Candle Co has a new scent out...its called the New Car Smell scent. Its a cross between their musk line and leather. I highly recommend folks to come check it out. It will literally save you thousands of dollars.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

you know, Yankee Candle Co has a new scent out...its called the New Car Smell scent. Its a cross between their musk line and leather. I highly recommend folks to come check it out. It will literally save you thousands of dollars.
Even if it doesn't make sense financially, the OP may have a something he dislikes about his TSX that outweighs the financial downsides - just like I had with my BMW.