How long does it take for springs to settle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
How long does it take for springs to settle?

Got my s techs installed today..How long do they take too settle? Also do I need an alignment right away?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Grigio09
Got my s techs installed today..How long do they take too settle? Also do I need an alignment right away?
Take it on a hundred mile road trip over varying surfaces and you're good to go. At the end of that trip you'll want to get an alignment.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Take it on a hundred mile road trip over varying surfaces and you're good to go. At the end of that trip you'll want to get an alignment.
Will do that..
Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
@ceb

are you shitting us or is that good advice? most stuff ive read said like wait a week or something, but never saw any real methodology behind any claim

I ask because im getting springy thingys put in, and I wanted to know how long to wait for an alignment, due to my tricky schedule, id like to do it soon as its a good idea
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
+1 on that info as well. many ppl suggest just wait a week or 2, but im guessing that's because some people think that should be enough time to accumulate 100 miles +? driving 100 miles just ensure that the springs will settle and can handle everyday road condition, also making sure there's no clunking sounds or rattles while the springs can settle in the mean time?

pull that out of my ass, but just an assumption. correct me if needed
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I have my alignment done the same day. Just drive a few miles around the block, unless you have adjustable (coilover etc), there's no need to wait 1 or 2 weeks.

In the old days, cheap springs used to sag after a while, but Tein and EIbach make quality product so there's really no need to wait. They do recommend to re-torque the bolts after 500 miles.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Another case is if you mess up your existing alignment after installation. When I put my springs in, I did the camber arms at the same time. I thought I kept them the same length as stock, but it was obvious that I didn't when the rear end seemed like it was flying all over the place on the freeway.

I was on my way to work and decided not to risk it, so took it in. Picked it up after work and all was well.

Granted, my springs were already "settled", but if your car drives funny I wouldn't drive it around for 100 miles before fixing it.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
I have my alignment done the same day. Just drive a few miles around the block, unless you have adjustable (coilover etc), there's no need to wait 1 or 2 weeks.

In the old days, cheap springs used to sag after a while, but Tein and EIbach make quality product so there's really no need to wait. They do recommend to re-torque the bolts after 500 miles.
Let's say you have coilovers, whats the difference in that case?

Just out of curiosity

Also, i'm learning so much in this thread
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Another case is if you mess up your existing alignment after installation. When I put my springs in, I did the camber arms at the same time. I thought I kept them the same length as stock, but it was obvious that I didn't when the rear end seemed like it was flying all over the place on the freeway.

I was on my way to work and decided not to risk it, so took it in. Picked it up after work and all was well.

Granted, my springs were already "settled", but if your car drives funny I wouldn't drive it around for 100 miles before fixing it.
Yeah i am not sure what the proper procedure is on that yet either, springs first, then drive for a bit, then go to alignment shop and have them install the coils?

A fellow azine member is helping with the install so it would be much easier for me to just do the arms with him at the same time if I could
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

There are a few schools of thought here, but the bottom line is that you want to assure that all the bits have 'settled' prior to alignment. A good shop will also retorque everything prior to alignment.

Time does nothing for helping things settle - driving does. Of course you shouldn't drive if your handling is all squirrely but if you've done a proper install then it should be close. A week or two might mean a hundred miles to some but means about 1500 miles to me. By that time I could have screwed up as set of tires.

The real proper way of doing it is to do the install, get an immediate alignment and then have the alignment rechecked in a couple of hundred miles. Since very few people will ever recheck their alignment, I've always found that a nice spirited drive works well before alignment - assuming that you've installed everything right and it is safe to do so.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Good springs don't really "settle" in terms of a further decline in ride height, any further decrease should not be that significant. Following a spring or suspension install, the only settling that should be happening is any component that has a degree of play (and it better be a small degree) will eventually be forced into place with some driving. For example, no matter how well you seat a spring on the bottom perch of the strut, it will not be in exactly the same spot once you tighten up the top hat and throw the strut/shock assembly on the car, because now it will be under a permanent load. With some driving, there may be some slight adjustments the components make under load to finally "settle". Time is not a good indicator for this, but actual driving is. Get an alignment only after you think you've done enough driving on the new set up, including taking some turns, not just after "two weeks".
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Let's say you have coilovers, whats the difference in that case?

Just out of curiosity

Also, i'm learning so much in this thread
Coilovers should not have the same sort of "settling" time because most coilover springs have flat bottom and top coils, so they should fit precisely and have zero play other than what is allowed for a zero spring preload. There might be some variance depending on the quality but I can't say for sure. You could probably get an alignment immediately and be fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt if you drove around for a few days before getting one.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
as soon as you put load on the springs, they settle.
Like ceb said, a few miles should do it.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Good springs don't really "settle" in terms of a further decline in ride height, any further decrease should not be that significant. Following a spring or suspension install, the only settling that should be happening is any component that has a degree of play (and it better be a small degree) will eventually be forced into place with some driving. For example, no matter how well you seat a spring on the bottom perch of the strut, it will not be in exactly the same spot once you tighten up the top hat and throw the strut/shock assembly on the car, because now it will be under a permanent load. With some driving, there may be some slight adjustments the components make under load to finally "settle". Time is not a good indicator for this, but actual driving is. Get an alignment only after you think you've done enough driving on the new set up, including taking some turns, not just after "two weeks".
Bingo. Well said.
  1. Install
  2. Drive
  3. Retorque
  4. Align
That will give you the best results.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
You wont need an allignment right away. In fact you might try to convince yourself you dont need one at all. I put my s-techs on last February and it drove straight so I was like screw it. When I went to rotate the tires 5000 miles later I had significant wear on the insides of all 4 corners. Had it alligned and it showed that all 4 were out of spec in regards to toe and camber. Toe was alligned back to stock specs. Camber was adjusted as close as possible with stock suspension components.

As far as settling goes. I know mine has settled a bit in the year Ive had them. I used to be able to slide my 2 ton jack right under the front jack points but ive noticed in the last few months when I jack up the front I need to lift up on the car in order to slide the jack under. Id guess its "settled" 2-3 millimeters since install.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Terdbath
You wont need an allignment right away. In fact you might try to convince yourself you dont need one at all. I put my s-techs on last February and it drove straight so I was like screw it. When I went to rotate the tires 5000 miles later I had significant wear on the insides of all 4 corners. Had it alligned and it showed that all 4 were out of spec in regards to toe and camber. Toe was alligned back to stock specs. Camber was adjusted as close as possible with stock suspension components.

As far as settling goes. I know mine has settled a bit in the year Ive had them. I used to be able to slide my 2 ton jack right under the front jack points but ive noticed in the last few months when I jack up the front I need to lift up on the car in order to slide the jack under. Id guess its "settled" 2-3 millimeters since install.
I'm officially confused now.

First you say that you don't need an alignment and then you state that you ruined a set of tires in 5000 miles and that your alignment was out of whack.

Think about this logically - you are removing and replacing suspension components. You are altering the center of gravity and the way the suspension operates - that alone should tell you that you need an alignment right away - not in 5000 miles.

You're right, you can save $100 on an alignment now and spend $800 on a new set of tires in a few months. Which makes more sense?

Last edited by ceb; 03-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is that you will need an alignment true enough, but more like after 100-200 miles after you install the new springs, not 5,000 miles after, cause if you wait that long, you definitely be replacing the set of tires, as well as getting an alignment...
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I got an alignment right away, my guy told me you would wanna wait to adjust the camber but we can't really do that. Had my s-techs for 2 weeks, seems to be driving straight.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Holy Crap there is soo much back and forth here that I'm just completely baffled of what Im suppose to do...

Getting megan coilovers...

My steps...

Install
Align

...drive around maybe a week (about 100 miles for me)

and then get another alignment???
Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
I'm officially confused now.

First you say that you don't need an alignment and then you state that you ruined a set of tires in 5000 miles and that your alignment was out of whack.

Think about this logically - you are removing and replacing suspension components. You are altering the center of gravity and the way the suspension operates - that alone should tell you that you need an alignment right away - not in 5000 miles.

You're right, you can save $100 on an alignment now and spend $800 on a new set of tires in a few months. Which makes more sense?
Never said don't align it and never said my tires were ruined.

What i meant was that the OP's car wont blow up if you dont get an alignment within 30 seconds of dropping it. You will definitley need an alignment but dont wait 6 months like I did.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Bingo. Well said.
  1. Install
  2. Drive
  3. Retorque
  4. Align
That will give you the best results.
Originally Posted by apinwp09GBTSX
Holy Crap there is soo much back and forth here that I'm just completely baffled of what Im suppose to do...

Getting megan coilovers...

My steps...

Install
Align

...drive around maybe a week (about 100 miles for me)

and then get another alignment???
See my post above.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
^^

Thanks Ceb do you have a time frame or mileage range between the initial install and alignment..

Just bought new tires and I really don't want to mess them up
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Op is too busy to care

good thread, thanks to all the info droppers

will keep in mind for when i get my m2 springs from ebay
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Install a camber and Toe kit while youre at it. And then go for an alignment. They wont be able to do much with the stock components if anything at all.Im sure the car can drive "straight" But im sure its all out of spec. No sense in getting an alignment now if youre planning on a camber/toe kit in the near future, You'll just have to do it again
Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by apinwp09GBTSX
^^

Thanks Ceb do you have a time frame or mileage range between the initial install and alignment..

Just bought new tires and I really don't want to mess them up
A couple of hundred miles or so won't hurt, but much over 500/1000 may start to cause tire damage if your alignment is screwed up.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Good info here guys. I'm glad we can share questions and info without wanting to throw a bag of shit in front of each others lawn afterwards.

My question: Once you get alignment and have camber and toe in specs, would those specs be off later? As in after spring/coilovers you are at -4, after alignment you are back to 0. Would you go back to having -3 or 4 soon afterwards, or would an alignment last as long as having stock suspension. Hope it makes sense
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
once you go for alignment the specs will stay almost unchanged they can change because the road condition, way you drive etc mechanics say that everyone should get alignment once a year even if the car is bone stock
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Op is too busy to care

so gonna

-Springs + camber kit
-Drive 101 miles
-Retorque
-Align
-Ball so hard
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ed_423
Good info here guys. I'm glad we can share questions and info without wanting to throw a bag of shit in front of each others lawn afterwards.

My question: Once you get alignment and have camber and toe in specs, would those specs be off later? As in after spring/coilovers you are at -4, after alignment you are back to 0. Would you go back to having -3 or 4 soon afterwards, or would an alignment last as long as having stock suspension. Hope it makes sense
Ed - so your question is "will an aftermarket suspension get out of alignment easier than stock?"

No, not if it is designed for your car and installed correctly.

Originally Posted by tobwac
once you go for alignment the specs will stay almost unchanged they can change because the road condition, way you drive etc mechanics say that everyone should get alignment once a year even if the car is bone stock
Correct. A good pothole can knock your alignment out of whack 5 minutes after you get an alignment. The rule of thumb is once a year (after the winter pothole season.)
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tobwac
I was told this as well, As a nice pot hole can throw your alignment off
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
I was told this as well, As a nice pot hole can throw your alignment off
Originally Posted by ceb
Ed - so your question is "will an aftermarket suspension get out of alignment easier than stock?"

No, not if it is designed for your car and installed correctly.

Correct. A good pothole can knock your alignment out of whack 5 minutes after you get an alignment. The rule of thumb is once a year (after the winter pothole season.)
Two great minds...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Thank that was my question exactly, thanks guys