How is the ELS sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How is the ELS sound system

Does anybody here own a second gen. Acura TSX with the tech package and ELS sound system? How would you rank it against a regular 4 or 6 speaker system?

Also, does the TSX have a 6 CD changer or a single disc CD changer? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
I had the TSX with tech package and have experienced the ELS sound system, but have not been in one with the 4 speaker system. I do however now own an Accord sport with 4 speakers... I would take the ELS system over the 4 speakers any day.

My TSX had the 6 disc changer.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The ELS is reputed to be one of the best OE sound systems available regardless of price. While I haven't compared it to the base unit, the ELS sounds better than the HK in my old BMW and MB, the Bose system in my S6 and is even better than the aftermarket KEF I had in my Jaguar. It is a very accurate sound so it may not have the extra bass that some listeners may want, but it is one of the most accurate OE systems around.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exercise: compare the cost of the Tech Package to the equivalent cost of the separate pieces from Audi, MB or BMW. You'll be shocked! Even if the ELS isn't quite as good as the premium Mannheim Steamroller System ;-) on the Bimmer, the cost is nowhere near.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:14 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura changed the format for the 2011-2014 model years. Prior to that, it was 6-CD changer. Starting with the 201 MMY update, it was a single CD player with a 15 GB hard drive that automatically records any CD that is inserted into the player (defeatable). It does not rip music in other electronic formats (e.g., MP3) due to DRM restrictions.

I am not impressed by the ELS system in my 2011 TSX. The amplifier is designed to send an adulterated signal to compensate for the cheap Panasonic speakers. I pulled one of my blown speakers and showed it to a friend in the audio industry. He estimated the BOM cost of the speaker was less than $9.

So even if you replace the speakers, the amp will still send a signal that limits the dynamic range because it pre-splits the signal rather than allowing the aftermarket speaker's built-in crossover to do it. So pretty much a waste of money unless you choose a replacement speaker very carefully or use a signal summing device.i

HOWEVER, playing a DVD Audio does showcase what the system is capable of. Unfortunately, Acura once again jumped on a DOA format. Who honestly owns a DVD Audio, unless you bought it by accident?

Another irritation: the hard drive will only record music at 128k. That's so Acura can advertise that you can save 5,000+ songs on the HDD. I would have preferred saving only 1,500 songs, but a much higher bit rate for better sound quality.

Last edited by kixo; 07-21-2016 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
Acura changed the format for the 2011-2014 model years. Prior to that, it was 6-CD changer. Starting with the 201 MMY update, it was a single CD player with a 15 GB hard drive that automatically records any CD that is inserted into the player (defeatable). It does not rip music in other electronic formats (e.g., MP3) due to DRM restrictions.

I am not impressed by the ELS system in my 2011 TSX. The amplifier is designed to send an adulterated signal to compensate for the cheap Panasonic speakers. I pulled one of my blown speakers and showed it to a friend in the audio industry. He estimated the BOM cost of the speaker was less than $9.

So even if you replace the speakers, the amp will still send a signal that limits the dynamic range because it pre-splits the signal rather than allowing the aftermarket speaker's built-in crossover to do it. So pretty much a waste of money unless you choose a replacement speaker very carefully or use a signal summing device.i

HOWEVER, playing a DVD Audio does showcase what the system is capable of. Unfortunately, Acura once again jumped on a DOA format. Who honestly owns a DVD Audio, unless you bought it by accident?

Another irritation: the hard drive will only record music at 128k. That's so Acura can advertise that you can save 5,000+ songs on the HDD. I would have preferred saving only 1,500 songs, but a much higher bit rate for better sound quality.
Great post, and based on a lot of reading, this pretty much sums it all up. I'm also with you on your various opinions (DVD-A format, HDD bitrate cap); a pretty terrible design with all things considered.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo

You should see how much a TPMS sensor BOM cost vs what they sell for... about 2700% markup lol
xtcnrice (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
You should see how much a TPMS sensor BOM cost vs what they sell for... about 2700% markup lol
Did you sign an NDA or na?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Did you sign an NDA or na?
lol of course I did.. but this is coming from a friend who used to work for a TPMS supplier lol. He told me their BOM cost was like $3 haha

Then look at the price of any OEM sensor.. its insane! Don't forget too, all parts (like every automotive part) are made by suppliers for some cost, marked up to sell to the OEM, then OEM marks up to sell the car to dealer, then dealer marks up again. Not to mention tariff/tax at each transaction. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got a 2013 to replace my totaled WRX ( thanks uninsured doofus) and was uploading CDs when I tried turning it up and up and up. Sounded great, with very little distortion to nearly full volume! I didn't know ELS so I Googled it and it turns out some call it the best stock system of any price. Wow, that's a nice perk to an already great car! I'm sure one could build a better aftermarket system, but I was concerned about the custom design and challenge in upgrading if I need to. Turns out I love the system. The rest of the car is also great, although I'm not impressed with the funky key fob. Although I miss the power and pull of the WRX, I think I love my new family highway cruiser.
ssjoeboe9 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by TSXWagoneer
I just got a 2013 to replace my totaled WRX ( thanks uninsured doofus) and was uploading CDs when I tried turning it up and up and up. Sounded great, with very little distortion to nearly full volume! I didn't know ELS so I Googled it and it turns out some call it the best stock system of any price. Wow, that's a nice perk to an already great car! I'm sure one could build a better aftermarket system, but I was concerned about the custom design and challenge in upgrading if I need to. Turns out I love the system. The rest of the car is also great, although I'm not impressed with the funky key fob. Although I miss the power and pull of the WRX, I think I love my new family highway cruiser.
could always supercharge it