Has anyone replaced their cup holder? Lid will not stay closed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced their cup holder? Lid will not stay closed!

Just bought a '10 TSX, and the cup holder lid will not stay closed. Sometimes it latches briefly, only to pop open seconds later. It looks like the unit is connected to the main center column, so it doesn't appear to be a simple swap.

My car's out of warranty, so the total cost to fix this is close to $300! The part alone is $212. That's insane.

I read ssjoeboe9's awesome trim removal post in the DIY section, but I didn't see anything about taking out the cup holder unit.

Has anyone done this, or do you know where I can find a step-by-step guide on how to do this myself?

I know this is a trivial thing, but the interior looks so sleek with the lid down. Would like to fix this somewhat inexpensively if possible.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Mine did this. Remove all the trim, take out the center console piece and there is a screw which connects the cupholder assembly to the rest of the center console. loosen the screw, pull the cupholder assembely out a little bit and re-tigten the screw. This probably sounds confusing, but you will see what i mean once you take it apart.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by alderash
Just bought a '10 TSX, and the cup holder lid will not stay closed. Sometimes it latches briefly, only to pop open seconds later. It looks like the unit is connected to the main center column, so it doesn't appear to be a simple swap.

My car's out of warranty, so the total cost to fix this is close to $300! The part alone is $212. That's insane.

I read ssjoeboe9's awesome trim removal post in the DIY section, but I didn't see anything about taking out the cup holder unit.

Has anyone done this, or do you know where I can find a step-by-step guide on how to do this myself?

I know this is a trivial thing, but the interior looks so sleek with the lid down. Would like to fix this somewhat inexpensively if possible.

Thanks
i have removed it, i can do it again and have a friend take photos if you would like, after you remove everthing follow joe blows thread, just pull on the door for the cupholder and pinch the little silicone thing in the middle that separates the cups and pull both up hard at the same time. it pops out with no issue
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I fixed it. Pulled the whole center unit out, and after a lot of poking around, I realized the problem was in the latch - it just wasn't grabbing effectively. Took the whole latch unit apart, cleaned it, reset the spring and the metal insert, and it seems to be working ... for now.

I like saving $300.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
my cupholder doesn't have a lid

nevermind...yes it does. I always leave it open.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I had a pen stuck in the lid crack of mine and also had problems with the lid staying shut. I didn't have to remove any side trim, just pull straight up on the lid and the inner cup holder "taint" to pull everything out. I disconnected the heated seat switches and pulled the whole assembly out of the car.

Once out, I flipped it upside down and the pen fell out of the crack. I unscrewed the 5 screws that secure the cup holder assembly to the center trim. I removed the inner rubber liner and washed it (4 rubber tabs on the top edge of the assembly and 2 tabs at the bottom of the liner that is hidden by a pad that's stuck to the bottom of the assembly).

I removed the lid from the cup holder assembly by 2 screws at the pivots and cleaned the lock/release mechanism and the tab that goes into the mechanism. Everything works as good as new now.

It probably took me half an hour to remove, clean, reassemble everything. Reverse the steps to put everything back in the car.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
TSX cup holder not staying closed

Hi all,

Is there a easy fix for this? when I got the car from Carmax about 2 weeks ago it worked and you can hear the click but not anymore. Is it easy to fix?

Sorry for the confusing title I meant the cup holder lid not staying closed.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know this is old post is there any pictures or what needs to be removed?

Thanks