Has anyone replaced the shell/buttons on their key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anyone replaced the shell/buttons on their key?

My key is in rough shape. The plastic is starting to flex and the button's silver finish is almost entirely worn off. There doesn't seem to be an OEM route to go, other than buying an entire new key for ~$180. I only have one key for the car, but I still haven't had a chance to justify the $280 for a second key. I found non OEM shells for pretty cheap without the buttons, but with the buttons they are about $35.

Heres a video:

Key from Amazon (reviews arent good because people are trying to use it as a key) - https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Keyl.../dp/B00LEVFDYC

I would love to find just the shell and plastics. I am not interested in the metal shaft or PCB. Has anyone ever tried this? Any alternatives?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
There is an eBay vendor that sells what you need.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Yup.

eBay is probably the place you need. You can find all sorts. As long as you can find the same switchblade key style, you can disassemble it and swap the parts over.

There are OEM as well as knock-off aftermarkets available.

Also, if all you want to do is replace the buttons, you can find just the transmitter/buttons listed from time to time. Finding *just* the buttons is pretty rare though.

Basically, you just want to find the cheapest replacement key that you can, that meets you needs (ie. new, lightly used, broken, etc.) and then disassemble and swap parts as needed.

Ballpark in the $35 range. I just looked and found one for $27 in good shape (uncut refurb, like new).

Small bit to consider, the keys for the wagon and sedan have slightly different images on the buttons. If that matters to you; make sure you get the right one.
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
TSX1012m6 (01-12-2017), xtcnrice (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Moderator caught double posting! *shocked face emoji*
Old 01-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Moderator caught double posting! *shocked face emoji*
Don't know what you're talking about, I only see one post..

Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 AM

I am only human. Thus, I blame the computers.
xtcnrice (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Racer

Just picked up a key assembly off Amazon. I like Amazon because it is so easy and fast to return if I don't like it. I'm going to see how the quality is and probably swap a few pieces on my current beat to crap key. May even consider taking the non oem key (after I put the warn components on it) and see if a locksmith can cut/program the key. I'm not a fan of non oem keys, but ive called a few locksmiths and they said they most likely can get the key cut and make it so it can start the car. If this works, it may be worth it as a temporary backup if I ever lose my oem key. I certainly would not daily a non oem key though.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 PM

It can be cut no problem.

It *should* be possible to register it to the car ECU as long as it's got the same FCC ID code. That is, Honda uses a wide range of transmitter IDs/wavelengths and you must have the right one for your car to "see" the signal. It's the string of numbers printed/etched on the back of your key.

Be forewarned, the cost to register the key to the ECU is astronomical IMO. It seems like Honda/Acura wants to charge a full hour for it so it's in the $160 range even though it should only take a few minutes. A independent locksmith with the Honda gizmo would be less.

Also, Honda/Acura may not touch it if it's an aftermarket key. Depends on the dealer.
TSX1012m6 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received the Amazon replacement key. Its a 3/10 in terms of quality. The OEM is light years ahead in overall quality (as expected). I had swapped the PCB to the generic key, but was disappointed with its quality. In the end, I just swapped the buttons and the silver keychain piece. As an added bonus, I was able to program the generic to lock/unlock/actuate the trunk! If I get some free time I may run to a locksmith/dealer and see if he can cut/program it.

Directions from an OEM Amazon key post:

Below step will help get your key programmed to lock and unlock your car.

Steps
1. Have un-programmed key in left hand and point underneath steering wheel
2. Place original key into ignition at (I)
3. Rotate key to (II) without starting the car
4. Press unlock on the un-programmed key.
5. Rotate key back to (I)
6. Rotate key back to (II)
7. Press unlock on the un-programmed key
Repeat steps 2-7, about 3 times or until you hear your doors making the unlock noise. At this point you want to press the unlock button again on the un-programmed key. Your key should now be programmed.
^Long story short, keep going from I to II and press unlock every time the key is in the II position. After about 4 tries it connects

OEM on the left