Grind Noise on Cold Start Up- VTC Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grind Noise on Cold Start Up- VTC Actuator Replacement

I've been reading up a lot on the forums for a fix the grinding noise on cold start up, and I found that Honda made a new VTC actuator for the Accords (08-12 k24s), and I was wondering if anyone knows if this part will fit the 09 TSX? I've contacted honda customer service and multiple dealerships, no one knows if it will fit. I have replaced the VTC actuator with the acura recommended part before and the grinding noise came back after a month.

Acura recommended part number: 14310-r40-a02 (temporary fix)
Honda's new part for the accords: 14310-r5a-305

If not then does anyone know of a fix for this issue? I can seem to find anything on the forums.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tye13
I've been reading up a lot on the forums for a fix the grinding noise on cold start up, and I found that Honda made a new VTC actuator for the Accords (08-12 k24s), and I was wondering if anyone knows if this part will fit the 09 TSX? I've contacted honda customer service and multiple dealerships, no one knows if it will fit. I have replaced the VTC actuator with the acura recommended part before and the grinding noise came back after a month.

Acura recommended part number: 14310-r40-a02 (temporary fix)
Honda's new part for the accords: 14310-r5a-305

If not then does anyone know of a fix for this issue? I can seem to find anything on the forums.

Thanks!
On this note, is there a DIY anywhere for replacing this yourself? i know it'll be a pretty significant job.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I heard the grinding noise on cold start-ups only a few times so it's not a priority for me at the moment but I am interested to see what you find out. Several people on the forum (like you) replaced their VTC actuators and the problem returned within months. I am surprised at how Acura/Honda is handling this.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sheefo2k
I heard the grinding noise on cold start-ups only a few times so it's not a priority for me at the moment but I am interested to see what you find out. Several people on the forum (like you) replaced their VTC actuators and the problem returned within months. I am surprised at how Acura/Honda is handling this.
Yeah I had mine switched too a while back and the noise came back within a month. I assumed after the new part came out for the accords the tsx would be next but nothing yet as far as I know. I read on tsxclub that some people tried switching from 10w-30 oil to 5w-20, along with a better oil filter (Honda A01), and that seemed to help a bit, but I'm pretty sure that was for the first gen tsx.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Yeah I had mine switched too a while back and the noise came back within a month. I assumed after the new part came out for the accords the tsx would be next but nothing yet as far as I know. I read on tsxclub that some people tried switching from 10w-30 oil to 5w-20, along with a better oil filter (Honda A01), and that seemed to help a bit, but I'm pretty sure that was for the first gen tsx.
I've been exclusively on 0w-20 (factory recommended for my 2013) and Honda A01 filters and I've experienced the grinding maybe 9 or 10 times since I picked up the car in 2013. Only happens in winter. Maybe it does help considering this doesn't happen very often for me, but nonetheless, the issue is still there.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Ah its that time of year again. Pumpkin Spiced latte's and VTC actuator grind posts. Mine was replaced too under warranty and yup, it came right back.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-27-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
I've been exclusively on 0w-20 (factory recommended for my 2013) and Honda A01 filters and I've experienced the grinding maybe 9 or 10 times since I picked up the car in 2013. Only happens in winter. Maybe it does help considering this doesn't happen very often for me, but nonetheless, the issue is still there.
thanks for letting me know, I will try this for my next oil change. I hear the noise all the time, even in summer, as long as the car has been off for at least 5 hours.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks for letting me know, I will try this for my next oil change. I hear the noise all the time, even in summer, as long as the car has been off for at least 5 hours.
Quick question. Is this grinding noise easy to hear from inside of the car or one needs to open windows to hear it? Our car's original warranty is about to expire and i would like to make sure our car does not have this issue or have it fixed under warranty.
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeyM
Quick question. Is this grinding noise easy to hear from inside of the car or one needs to open windows to hear it? Our car's original warranty is about to expire and i would like to make sure our car does not have this issue or have it fixed under warranty.
Thanks.
You can hear it inside. It lasts for about a second for me. There is no known fix for this issue at the moment by the way. Dealership will replace your VTC actuator with the same part, and the issue will come back.
The following users liked this post:
TSX1012m6 (11-09-2017)