Green DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
Green DRL?

I always wanted green lights but I see the only "legal" way of having them are if they're your DRL. I can find led green bulbs and hids but I was wondering if anyone knew a place that sold halogen green bulbs because I like the "transformer eyes" look from my headlights and want to keep it lol

To see what i'm talking about here's an old pic:
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i vote for no
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Go for it, you only live once.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
IIRC, the only color other than white that is allowable at the front of the car is amber. Green is neither white nor amber so it does not comply with the car.

I don't understand people who strive to hang something obviously illegal on their cars. It is like they are nudging the cops and saying "look at me, I'm an idiot, I dare you to pull me over."

If you do it, don't come back here whining about how mean the cop was that pulled you over.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Ummmmmm not trying to be CEB but I had green halos in my jeep I used sometimes as DRL.

$90 fine. Green is reserved for mobile command center.

Also purple is reserved for funerals. And the obvious red and blue. Blue NEVER. No red on front.

Good luck!

Oh yeah this was in COLORADO where most anything goes.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robpp
Ummmmmm not trying to be CEB but I had green halos in my jeep I used sometimes as DRL.

$90 fine. Green is reserved for mobile command center.

Also purple is reserved for funerals. And the obvious red and blue. Blue NEVER. No red on front.

Good luck!

Oh yeah this was in COLORADO where most anything goes.
And the cop was really mean, right
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If you like the idea go for it. its a Mod. Most Mods are illegal anyway regardless what it is. I understand Cebs point about legality but tint is illegal. Anyone who tints period is asking for a ticket, anyone who tints 20% or darker is screaming ticket me just like a green DRL.
Or any car wl an Exhaust, Or cars that have their cats and resonators removed. My point is that enthusiast do illegal mods all the time. If its work the risk for the gain in pleasing your eye go for it. Where im from i see Green HID fogs or all types of weird shit regularly.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
The problem with lighting Mods VS tints, exhaust, and most other mods is who it can adversely affect. The reason colors beside white and amber are restricted is because if they become common on the highway, no one will notice an emergency vehicle. Ask me how much it sucks to be flicking the siren from yelp to Siren and back because people don't move to the flashing blue/white lights. Green is also an emergency color. You are more likely to get in trouble for light mods because those affect cops ability to get to a scene.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
The problem with lighting Mods VS tints, exhaust, and most other mods is who it can adversely affect. The reason colors beside white and amber are restricted is because if they become common on the highway, no one will notice an emergency vehicle. Ask me how much it sucks to be flicking the siren from yelp to Siren and back because people don't move to the flashing blue/white lights. Green is also an emergency color. You are more likely to get in trouble for light mods because those affect cops ability to get to a scene.
I Understant that, but you arent seeing the other side. He isnt Instlaling STROBE LIGHTS. he isnt exactly imitating an emergency vehicle. When an emergency vehicle needs to get through the lights arent on like a DRL would be on. Its flashing, spinning etc wl a combination of noise i can never ever see how a green DRL would cause someone not to notice an emergency vehicle. Besides, At that point your HIDS are blue No? 6000k definitely has a hue of blue in them.
So anyone with 6000k+ Hids is on the same boat as the OP correct?
The following users liked this post:
BaoZZeR (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

thats why i would never go above 6000K. they have a SLIGHT hint of blue, but its not strong and its low to the ground. i understand that he isn't installing strobes(but gimme a few months, strobes are getting put into my TSX. lightbar in the back, 2 in the front, grill lights, and license plate) its gonna look sick haha. anyway, the problem is that when people see a color often, they don't notice it. thats why cop cars have ALOT of lights. people get used to the red of tails and dont notice cops unless they look at the car. the green DRL isn't a huge deal, because it wont be as noticeable during the day anyway, i just recommend against it. cops will get you for them. the main cause of death or injury to responders is motor vehicle incidents on route to the scene, often getting Tboned. clearing an intersection is a bitch because people don't pay attention. i was driving a few weeks ago along a highway style road(kinda like west side highway) close to PA in jersey, and there were 2 cops in marked tahoe's with lights and sirens blazing trying to get through, they were halfway through but people werent stopping, i saw them, put on my 4-way flashers, and started honking and took up the left and middle lane while braking. the look on the cops face said it all, i made his day. 2 min later a douchebag in a raised Ram 2500 tried to run me off the road for braking hard when there was a green light(that same intersection) and he was 2 cars back. fucking morons. anyway OP can do what he wants, but yea, i said my side of it, i understand his.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by MoaarLow
If you like the idea go for it. its a Mod. Most Mods are illegal anyway regardless what it is. I understand Cebs point about legality but tint is illegal. Anyone who tints period is asking for a ticket, anyone who tints 20% or darker is screaming ticket me just like a green DRL.
Or any car wl an Exhaust, Or cars that have their cats and resonators removed. My point is that enthusiast do illegal mods all the time. If its work the risk for the gain in pleasing your eye go for it. Where im from i see Green HID fogs or all types of weird shit regularly.
to be technical, tints aren't illegal. tinting beyond your state allowed % is illegal. NY's tint % is 70% which, to me, is like having no tint on your window. Did I knowingly get an illegal tint %? Yes. Am I willing to face the consequences of future tickets for illegal tints? Yes.

As for green drl's, I'm a bit iffy on them. Whenever I do see green/purple headlights, I just shake my head and wonder how they think that looks good. As for green bulbs...I did not even know they make that color.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by PyroDave
thats why i would never go above 6000K. they have a SLIGHT hint of blue, but its not strong and its low to the ground. i understand that he isn't installing strobes(but gimme a few months, strobes are getting put into my TSX. lightbar in the back, 2 in the front, grill lights, and license plate) its gonna look sick haha. anyway, the problem is that when people see a color often, they don't notice it. thats why cop cars have ALOT of lights. people get used to the red of tails and dont notice cops unless they look at the car. the green DRL isn't a huge deal, because it wont be as noticeable during the day anyway, i just recommend against it. cops will get you for them. the main cause of death or injury to responders is motor vehicle incidents on route to the scene, often getting Tboned. clearing an intersection is a bitch because people don't pay attention. i was driving a few weeks ago along a highway style road(kinda like west side highway) close to PA in jersey, and there were 2 cops in marked tahoe's with lights and sirens blazing trying to get through, they were halfway through but people werent stopping, i saw them, put on my 4-way flashers, and started honking and took up the left and middle lane while braking. the look on the cops face said it all, i made his day. 2 min later a douchebag in a raised Ram 2500 tried to run me off the road for braking hard when there was a green light(that same intersection) and he was 2 cars back. fucking morons. anyway OP can do what he wants, but yea, i said my side of it, i understand his.
Dave, what you did is commendable. The part about taking up the left and middle lane while braking to let the cops go through, but please watch out for your own safety too. I know what you did was super helpful for the cops but what if some douchebag behind you didn't brake in time and rammed into you? I'm sure the cops would side with you but you'd still be in an accident and who know how bad it might be. Just watch out for yourself more bro. They get paid to put their lives in danger...you don't.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I didn't read every response thoroughly but I'm sure they all say something about it being illegal but I bet everyone on this forum did an HID bulb swap for their lows and anything other than 4300k (stock from every car manufacturer) is illegal. I'd also like to add that when my bulbs are actually on they emit that ugly amberish legal color that every other car has and I don't mind it but I do want it to be green when it's off. So another question I'd like to ask is what are these companies using to paint these bulbs and where can I get my hands on it! lol
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrstak
to be technical, tints aren't illegal. tinting beyond your state allowed % is illegal. NY's tint % is 70% which, to me, is like having no tint on your window. Did I knowingly get an illegal tint %? Yes. Am I willing to face the consequences of future tickets for illegal tints? Yes.

As for green drl's, I'm a bit iffy on them. Whenever I do see green/purple headlights, I just shake my head and wonder how they think that looks good. As for green bulbs...I did not even know they make that color.
You don't think this looks good? I see a bmw with these lights on campus all the time and cops don't do anything and from what I hear UF has a very strict PD like these mofos tried giving me a ticket for parking on a reserved spot 2 minutes before parking is lifted on campus lol

Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
I Understant that, but you arent seeing the other side. He isnt Instlaling STROBE LIGHTS. he isnt exactly imitating an emergency vehicle. When an emergency vehicle needs to get through the lights arent on like a DRL would be on. Its flashing, spinning etc wl a combination of noise i can never ever see how a green DRL would cause someone not to notice an emergency vehicle. Besides, At that point your HIDS are blue No? 6000k definitely has a hue of blue in them.
So anyone with 6000k+ Hids is on the same boat as the OP correct?
Correct. The accepted color "white" for an HID bulb is in the 4300k range. 6000k is in the blue range but might (or might not) be blue enough to get you a ticket. 6000k is certainly enough to get you noticed by the cops.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I know very well what I'm doing is illegal and I'm willing to take full responsibility for what ever may happen to me but thank you everyone for your concerns. Now lets go back to my original question and most recent one
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Along with being illegal, I think it is fugly and looks out of place.
KillerG (04-19-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Graphite Ghost

these cost me 90 and I then removed them as the judge said the NEXT fine would be much more.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Why don't you just bake your headlights and paint the chrome part of the DRL green, like Defcons old TSX? Then you can just pull the DRL fuse and ride around with no green light but still have the effect you want without breaking the law.
BaoZZeR (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Op, go for it.

But IMO it's makes the tsx look like a ricer mobile.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I considered that but didn't want to go through the trouble of baking my headlights again lol
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

these cost me 90 and I then removed them as the judge said the NEXT fine would be much more.

Did you get the ticket for using them at night or daytime?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Along with being illegal, I think it is fugly and looks out of place.
Some people like blacking out their tail lights, I think it's fugly and looks out of place but people still do it but its his or her car not mine so why should I care. My favorite color is green so if I could choose, which I can, I'd pick green over blue lights any day.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
Some people like blacking out their tail lights, I think it's fugly and looks out of place but people still do it but its his or her car not mine so why should I care. My favorite color is green so if I could choose, which I can, I'd pick green over blue lights any day.
You asked for opinions and you got them.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Graphite Ghost

Did you get the ticket for using them at night or daytime?

daytime. 8am on a sunny morning.

i mostly used them at shows when parked. this one morning i turned them on to go to a show and BANG.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
You asked for opinions and you got them.
I didn't ask for anyones opinion just for locations to buy lol Anyways I'm considering buying green glass paint and see how that works out.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

daytime. 8am on a sunny morning.

i mostly used them at shows when parked. this one morning i turned them on to go to a show and BANG.
Sorry to hear that but thank you for your concerns
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You don't think this looks good? I see a bmw with these lights on campus all the time and cops don't do anything and from what I hear UF has a very strict PD like these mofos tried giving me a ticket for parking on a reserved spot 2 minutes before parking is lifted on campus lol

I didn't ask for anyones opinion just for locations to buy lol Anyways I'm considering buying green glass paint and see how that works out.
Actually, that does sound like you are asking for an opinion. You'll be back complaining about those "mofo's" that gave you a ticket. Maybe you'll even have your car impounded for "unsafe equipment" - that would be a fun thread.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

when i first see something like that, i'm more like "oh that's new" then i'm like "ehh why would you do that".

but if OP just wants the background of his DRL green like if you put in nokya arctic white bulbs, then that's fine cuz the reflection of the bulb gives off the green tinge. I haven't seen any bulb like that though.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
ROTAREDOM

If you were really skilled you could get green glass paint and paint it through the bulb opening without taking the headlight apart, but that might be really hard. I forgot you cleared your headlight out already.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Graphite Ghost

op if all you want is a green backlight.......add a small LED in the housing.

like thos G8 mini projectors have..........
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

OP understands our concerns, and is smart enough to make his own decision and deal with the consequences himself. the green is not widely used as an emergency light, so i am not that adament about it, and he knows about the possibility of fines and stuff, no need to hammer it in, it wont change his mind.

look into the christmas lights possible? maybe you could retrofit one of those bulbs into our housing for the DRL. do you want to produce green light, or do you just want the housing to be green when you look at it? in that case, painting the glass would be stupid, you really have to color the chrome reflector inside(you'll have to bake the headlight open again, sorry =P )
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Actually, that does sound like you are asking for an opinion. You'll be back complaining about those "mofo's" that gave you a ticket. Maybe you'll even have your car impounded for "unsafe equipment" - that would be a fun thread.
Ok maybe I did ask for an opinion aahahahah but I did it in the act of rhetoric. I don't know if you're trying to be ignorant and foolish like the other youngsters right now or you're just a jackass like that but I don't want anyone from the TSX community to hate me. Truths?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrstak
when i first see something like that, i'm more like "oh that's new" then i'm like "ehh why would you do that".

but if OP just wants the background of his DRL green like if you put in nokya arctic white bulbs, then that's fine cuz the reflection of the bulb gives off the green tinge. I haven't seen any bulb like that though.
That's exactly what I want! I was just planning on buying glass paint because I see DIYs on the internet for painted common household lightbulbs.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
If you were really skilled you could get green glass paint and paint it through the bulb opening without taking the headlight apart, but that might be really hard. I forgot you cleared your headlight out already.
I'm actually considering opening up my headlights again in the summer because I see water is getting into my passenger side one after it rains. But I rather just have the bulb green just in case I want to sell the car and the buyer doesn't like green.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
ROTAREDOM

True about reselling. However you can check my thread on page 5 (I think) about fixing your condensation. You don't have to bake it to fix it. Anyways, word of caution, make sure whatever paint you use on the bulb it won't get too hot as to blow out your bulb. Down for pics when you do it. I get the feeling that it'll be very subtle but noticeable color difference.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
No Sir I dont like it...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by civichbdx
No Sir I dont like it...
I'm in love lol
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
True about reselling. However you can check my thread on page 5 (I think) about fixing your condensation. You don't have to bake it to fix it. Anyways, word of caution, make sure whatever paint you use on the bulb it won't get too hot as to blow out your bulb. Down for pics when you do it. I get the feeling that it'll be very subtle but noticeable color difference.
Actually page 3. Pretty useful info but i cleared my lights a long time ago and it rains a lot here. I feel there's build up of dried up water in there. IDK if I can just wipe it off though...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

And when you said that condensation started by your blinkers, did it look like it was scratched up? cause mine does but i dont think it's condensation I actually think they're real scratches lol

Quick Reply: Green DRL?