Is this a good price

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good price

I was quoted a price on a 2009 Acura TSX non-tech with a deck lid spoiler and the 18"chrome like rims for $31,900. Then I was quoted a price of $28,600 for the non-tech with just the deck lid spoiler. Is this a decent price or should I continue to haggle the salesman?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Too much chrome

Those prices are ok, but not that great. I am pulling $300 over invoice now, after hunting around for a few weeks. Here are the invoice prices:

TECH:

BASE:

But here's the thing with the tsx, some dealers will budge and others wont. Some dealers close to me wont go under invoice +$1000, and others father away will. The trick is to make them fight amongst each other. For example, you tell one you got invoice +700, that guy will beat it by 300, then you go back and tell him you got it for 400, and he will beat it by 200. Hope all goes well!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by elezam
Those prices are ok, but not that great. I am pulling $300 over invoice now, after hunting around for a few weeks. Here are the invoice prices:

TECH:

BASE:

But here's the thing with the tsx, some dealers will budge and others wont. Some dealers close to me wont go under invoice +$1000, and others father away will. The trick is to make them fight amongst each other. For example, you tell one you got invoice +700, that guy will beat it by 300, then you go back and tell him you got it for 400, and he will beat it by 200. Hope all goes well!

I think they are playing games with me because I am a female. Actually, that was the lowest quote I received for the non-tech with the deck lid spoiler and 18" chrome like wheels. I spoke with a Honda dealer in White Plains and he told me dealers aren't budging much with the prices since the completely overhauled body style and the fact that these cars are good on gas.

He told me the key is to find a dealership that doesn't sell that many cars a month and they will be a bit more lenient with the price. An example he gave me was a dealership in Scarsdale. He said they don't sell many Acuras because in an area like Scarsdale most people are interested in Mercedes Benz's and BMW's.

I am hoping if I wait until late October, early November that maybe they will be willing to give me the car I want with the options for about $31,200. I considered purchasing the car without the 18" chrome look wheels and purchase them at a later date, but I know myself and I will keep putting it off. Also, the car looks so hot and sporty with them that I refuse to have the car without them

Last edited by indecisiveone; 09-22-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
never buy wheels from a dealer
never buy accessories either, try to get a few small items FREE after you agree on a number
never believe what another dealer tells you (its BS)

i got my car for $250 over invoice.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by indecisiveone
I think they are playing games with me because I am a female. Actually, that was the lowest quote I received for the non-tech with the deck lid spoiler and 18" chrome like wheels. I spoke with a Honda dealer in White Plains and he told me dealers aren't budging much with the prices since the completely overhauled body style and the fact that these cars are good on gas.

He told me the key is to find a dealership that doesn't sell that many cars a month and they will be a bit more lenient with the price. An example he gave me was a dealership in Scarsdale. He said they don't sell many Acuras because in an area like Scarsdale most people are interested in Mercedes Benz's and BMW's.

I am hoping if I wait until late October, early November that maybe they will be willing to give me the car I want with the options for about $31,200. I considered purchasing the car without the 18" chrome look wheels and purchase them at a later date, but I know myself and I will keep putting it off. Also, the car looks so hot and sporty with them that I refuse to have the car without them
I doubt its because your female, I'm male and they tried the same thing with me I went into the first acura dealer, and originally they wanted $1,500 over invoice which is the same thing you got. You should try ramsey acura, I hear you can get invoice +300 out there. You might also want to try emailing the dealers around you, and see what you can get. Also, read the "how to negotiate" tutorials online, they are a big help. FYI, dont buy wheels from the dealer, they rip you off.

By the way, the reason these cars are really holding their value is because honda wont produce enough

Last edited by elezam; 09-22-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
8th Gear

I doubt its because your female, I'm male and they tried the same thing with me I went into the first acura dealer, and originally they wanted $1,500 over invoice which is the same thing you got. You should try ramsey acura, I hear you can get invoice +300 out there. You might also want to try emailing the dealers around you, and see what you can get. Also, read the "how to negotiate" tutorials online, they are a big help. FYI, dont buy wheels from the dealer, they rip you off.

LMFAO, yeah ok, Ramsey Acura? They gave me a price of $28,900 for the car that Feder's Acura in Middletown quoted me for $28,600. When I brought this to the salesman's attention he had a nerve to say, "well it's only $300", which I replied, "I am counting every penny I spend". Pardon my french, but Ramsey Acura is full of s***!!!! Back in 2005 I was very close to purchasing a brand new TSX and they quoted some ridiculous price. Regardless, I am not agreeing to anything or signing anything until my stepfather is with me.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Too much chrome

Where are you located, and what dealers have you gone to? Remember, set a price in your mind that you are willing to pay. If the dealer pushes you to get the car, and the price isn't right, walk out. Today, the dealer kept pushing and pushing and kept telling me, who cares about money? You want the car! I walked out so fast...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
in this day and age who walks out?

just close the email
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
in this day and age who walks out?

just close the email

You got that right! All communication has been via email with the exception of my trip to Ramsey Acura, which is near my job. And I only went there to look at the car and make my final decision on whether to lease another bimmer or buy the TSX. When I lease my X3 all of my communication was via email to the point where I needed to sign the paperwork and leave a deposit. I'm sure once I am 100% ready to buy with a check from my credit union in hand they will be flexible beyond belief.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Too much chrome

You got that right! All communication has been via email with the exception of my trip to Ramsey Acura, which is near my job. And I only went there to look at the car and make my final decision on whether to lease another bimmer or buy the TSX. When I lease my X3 all of my communication was via email to the point where I needed to sign the paperwork and leave a deposit. I'm sure once I am 100% ready to buy with a check from my credit union in hand they will be flexible beyond belief.
Stay away from the beemers! The TSX is the way to go
Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was quoted a price on a 2009 Acura TSX non-tech with a deck lid spoiler and the 18"chrome like rims for $31,900. Then I was quoted a price of $28,600 for the non-tech with just the deck lid spoiler. Is this a decent price or should I continue to haggle the salesman?
You mentioned White Plains, have you gone to Curry Acura? Ask for Yuri, he is great to deal with, I am not making any promises, because every deal is different, but let's just say I got a great deal.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by DeadLock
You mentioned White Plains, have you gone to Curry Acura? Ask for Yuri, he is great to deal with, I am not making any promises, because every deal is different, but let's just say I got a great deal.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Forced Induction

I paid 30,200 plus taxes, so I paid invoice for a tech TSX. But again, that doesn't mean you can get the same deal. But they might be worth a try. I have family ties to a few managers at that dealership
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
FWIW, they will like it less if you tell them you have a check from your credit union.

I work for a statewide group of credit unions assisting members when they buy cars. There are several business units in a dealership.

New sales
Used sales
Parts
Service

And most importantly in this case...Finance. They'll always try to swap you into their financing, that's how they make their money.

But anyway, if you do go back with a BMW, a lease is a good idea unless you keep cars longer than 3-4 years.

I had a new 02 330ci that was such the biggest P.O.S. I'll never buy another one.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM
8th Gear

The salesman called me back and quoted me $28,000 for the non-tech with the deck lid spoiler. Price Acura in Delaware quoted a price of $31,500 for the non-tech with chrome like rims and the deck lid spoiler. With the future of our economy being uncertain I'm sure I can do even better than this.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Too much chrome

With the future of our economy being uncertain I'm sure I can do even better than this.
Yes, I am going to take full advantage of that as well. Acura sold hardly any cars this september, so I think they might give away some incentives soon. Toyota has also announced that they will be giving away 0% financing on new cars. It seems like now might be the best possible time to get a new car. Maybe wait a few weeks and see what happens
Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait till christmas time, or even the beginning of next year.
forecasts for the fourth quarter are stunningly low and dismal.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luxury sales are down ,,,,,, give it some time ,,, go from dealer to dealer,,,, and have them beat each others quotes!!!!!!!!! write down model & options ,,, if you show them you are not in a hurry, one of them will give ! sales suck right now, they all know it so take advantage.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Luxury sales are down ,,,,,, give it some time ,,, go from dealer to dealer,,,, and have them beat each others quotes!!!!!!!!! write down model & options ,,, if you show them you are not in a hurry, one of them will give ! sales suck right now, they all know it so take advantage.
Is it possible for a dealer to go below invoice?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Racer

Is it possible for a dealer to go below invoice?
Yeah, the fleet manager can because he gets paid for how many cars he sells not how much he can get out of them. It is hard to reach the fleet manager. I have friends that got below invoice by the help with the fleet manager.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
8th Gear

Today I received an email from the salesman at Feder's Acura in Middletown, New York and they dropped from $31,900 to $30,800 for a non-tech with the deck lid spoiler and the 18" chrome look wheels. I still think I can do better like $30,200, but my stepfather thinks I should take this deal and run. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Too much chrome

The demand for cars has gone down. If you wait a week you might be able to take advantage of some good apr deals. IMO, the car isn't going anywhere and you should try to get a better deal.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Call them back and tell them they're getting closer, but you're looking to steal it.

Additionally, tell them they don't need to expend any time qualifying you and when they're ready to go "all in" for 30K OTD, (Out The Door, after all taxes and admin fees) you'll be there as soon as it's ready for you.

Keep us, uh, posted, pardon the pun.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Instructor

So here's the deals I've been getting for TECH PACKAGE (I live in Montgomery County, MD):

Rosenthal Acura = invoice +500
Norris Acura = invoice +250
Chevy Chase = invoice +150
Norris Acura (they say that they will beat any price by 250) = invoice - 100

Hooray I'm finally under invoice and I'm still pushing!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
So here's the deals I've been getting for TECH PACKAGE (I live in Montgomery County, MD):

I had dealer quote me $32,860 plus tax, title, and doc for the car. They also low balled me on my trade. After a bit of negotiation they came down to only $32,000. They went up about $1000 for my trade to be about the low end of my trade's value according to KBB. Seeing you state that your getting around invoice tells me I need to keep pushing for a lower price. The dealer's reasoning for being so high was that the car is still new and the demand is still there. They also showed me that Edmunds says people in my area are paying $32,560. Is this right or should I keep targeting a number around $30,500 (invoice plus $250)?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I am seeing USED '09 TSXs popping up in my area already (Philly). There are amazing deals to be had right now on '08 TLs, the economy and car sales are in the dumper... I really like the '09 TSX BUT I could never justify paying over $30,000 for it [before tax], even w/ the Tech package.

My point is that when you add all of these factors together, just keep hammering away at the dealerships with them and there are definitely deals to be had out there! Edmunds.com says that Invoice for Tech is currently $29,464 and non-tech is $26,621. That is a heck of a lot of wiggle room!

EDIT: And this just goes to show how bad things are getting, as the invoice prices dropped within a matter of weeks!

Last edited by ESHBG; 10-10-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM
9th Gear

well if you don't mind traveling, there is a dealership in chattanooga, TN, and I believe I spoke with guy name David. He had one of 2008 TL w/out navi for $29995, and w/ navi I think it was somewhere around $31k or $32k
Old 10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I am seeing USED '09 TSXs popping up in my area already (Philly). There are amazing deals to be had right now on '08 TLs, the economy and car sales are in the dumper... I really like the '09 TSX BUT I could never justify paying over $30,000 for it [before tax], even w/ the Tech package.

My point is that when you add all of these factors together, just keep hammering away at the dealerships with them and there are definitely deals to be had out there! Edmunds.com says that Invoice for Tech is currently $29,464 and non-tech is $26,621. That is a heck of a lot of wiggle room!

EDIT: And this just goes to show how bad things are getting, as the invoice prices dropped within a matter of weeks!

Those prices are without destination. Once you add destination back in it is just like the second post.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I got a quote today from Gunn in San Antonio for 31291 for the tech. It seems like I should be able to get a better deal than 1000 over invoice.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear

Hey cmasterchoe, did you accept any of the offers you posted earlier this month? What did you end up paying? I got higher quotes from those dealers except Norris Acura who has the best offer as you mentioned: invoice -100 (Plus Dest fee, and TTL). Anyone getting better deals out there? Please share! (I"m in the DC/Baltimore Area too).

Originally Posted by cmasterchoe

Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Racer

I have a comment.

I have a comment. I belong to a lot of new car forums and anytime people start talking about the deals they got on a new car, they only talk about how much they paid.

Here is the problem with that. A lot of people might pay a very low cost on the new car but the dealer rips them off on a trade in. The other problem is the financing, if they rip you off by telling you they will give you financing at 4% and the bank really would have given you the loan at 3% the dealer never says a word to you and a month later the dealer gets a check for the 1% difference (yes it is legal)once they lock you in at 4%.

The only time you really can compare deals is with no trade in and paid cash at the dealer.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I'm planning on no trade in and am still debating paying cash or leasing...

@dacw - I still haven't committed to a deal yet. I've basically gotten to the point where each dealer won't say in writing that they'll go under invoice, but they say "if you come in we'll beat the price of any deal you've gotten".

Translation, I haven't been able to parlay the invoice-100 from norris acura with any other dealerships, only that they will commit should I actually step foot into their dealerships. Chevy Chase said that they'll do invoice, but that is about it. How about you? Any luck?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Instructor

You guys are harsh. Dealers don't bullshit as much as you think. I have been in the business for almost 4 years and I have been lied to more than I have lied my entire life. Don't play the "turn the dealers on eachother" game or any other game for that matter. Find a local dealer (sales tax goes to YOUR city) and talk to a fleet / internet manager or anyone there that treats you well (not a pushy asshole) Ask for $500 over invoice, plus $100 over accessory cost. Deck lid spoiler cost is about $446 and the chrome wheels are $714 (all installed) Regardless where you buy it, give the salesman all 5s and 2 yeses on the phone call survey. Those things keep a dealer running. Seriously. Any other questions, PM. I want to help get rid of the confusion and that negative persona. (No one haggles at the grocery store / target / etc...)

(edit: some dealers add accessories to all of their cars [service fault, not sales] If you don't want them, they can't take them off, but try to have them locate one without accessories or one that just came off a truck.

Last edited by AustinJay; 11-12-2008 at 01:22 AM.