Going from 2009 TSX Base to 2011 TSX Tech – Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from 2009 TSX Base to 2011 TSX Tech – Need Advice

Hello all,

I would like the community’s advice with my decision of purchasing a certified pre-owned 2011 TSX Tech or a new 2015 Accord EX-L. I’ve spent time browsing the forums for the pros/cons of each, but I’d love some feedback from the community about some specific concerns that I have.
I owned a 2009 TSX Base with some out-of-warranty issues. I would hate to have the same issues repeated in the 2011 TSX Tech. Does anyone know if some of the following issues have been fixed for 2011:

• Has anyone had any oil issues on the 2011 TSX? The main reason for me selling my 2009 TSX Base is that it was burning a quart of oil every 2,000 miles and it was only getting worse (Quoted a $3,000 repair to replace pistons and piston rings – I contacted Acura and got no help).
  • Are the door lock actuators any more reliable? I had to replace two door lock actuators and I could hear a 3rd actuator starting to struggle/fail when I sold the 2009 TSX Base.
  • Is the Bluetooth microphone any better for 2011? The microphone in my 2009 TSX was garbage – During calls, people would always complain that it was muffled and gave a lot of feedback.
  • Are there any issues with the 2011 TSX Tech that are common? Is there anything specific that I should look/listen for during the test drive?

As a side note, I would also love feedback from anyone that made a switch from the 2nd Generation TSX (2009-2014) to the current generation Accord (2013-Present). The TSX and the Accord have a ton of similarities, but do you have any regrets or reinforcements for your decision to switch?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Get the Accord. In terms of features and tech it's way better than the TSX. Tech in the TSX imo is a joke.

The oil burning thing was a 2009 only issue i think, my 2010 doesn't do that. My microphone was also fine so that may have just been an issue with your car.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
i have a 2011 tech and do not have the issues you listed.

I would either get the 15 accord or if you want to spend some more, get the TLX
Old 10-15-2014, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses!

@iCrap - What features of the TSX are lacking? It seems that the only advantage (tech wise) that the Accord EX-L has is push to start and the lane watch. TSX has the navi and ELS surround sound system.

@urbanstereo - TLX would be amazing!! but outside of my budget right now. Any specific reasons you would go with the accord?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I'd echo the Accord suggestion as well. I recently went through the same considerations (TSX vs. Accord) and was very close to getting the Accord. The only thing that swayed my decision was: A) TSX in a wagon, and B) very attractive price wrt end of model phaseout.

If I were looking today and had the choice of a '15 Accord or '11 TSX I'd take that Accord all day.

From what I saw, the Accord has equivalent to slightly better amenities than the TSX so it should be a pretty simple decision.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Sit in both of them and compare. I'd say even though the TSX TECH comes with a navi, it's certainly dated. I haven't seen the Accord's though; it may be dated as well. But to reiterate, the answer will be clear if you tested both vehicles out yourself. Only then will you truly realize the nuances between the two cars and make a real informed decision.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Yeah once you sit in the accord you will see. It's pointless to ask people for opinions btw. test drive both cars and you should be able to make a decision pretty easily on which one you like better.

To me the TSX's tech is outdated.
accord has forward collision, the dual screen thing, push button start (i really cant believe the TSX doesn't have that.. wtf), hondalink thing, lane watch, better UI.
Looks like the accord can also come with backup sensors... TSX does not.

Accord also has a 6speed trans vs the TSX's craptastic 5AT.

The only reason to get the TSX is that it looks better... but that new accord looks pretty damn nice also.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Push start isn't a deal breaker... but I was definitely surprised as well that the TSX doesn't have it . Backup sensors are an option on the TSX, but I think it's too expensive for anyone to even really consider getting them. I feel it's a bit redundant with backup cam anyway.. it was pretty annoying to listen to in my dad's car.

I wish the TSX had a sensor in the switchblade/key (and corresponding receiver in the car) so that I can unlock my doors without taking my keys out. Maybe that came later... but all of the current Acuras have it, even the ILX. Definitely a convenient feature to have when your hands are full.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the feedback - I really appreciate it!

I wanted to address any issues people have had with the 2011 TSX Tech. If many of the issues with my 2009 TSX are still present in the 2011, I'd definitely be going with the Accord.

However, The general consensus so far is definitely reinforcing the Accord and making me rethink things.

I've actually test driven both cars and they both feel great (why I'm reaching out for help). I was hoping to receive feedback from someone that has gone from the TSX to the Accord. By using both as daily drivers, they would be able to give a better analysis than what I could conclude from a test drive or comparing specs.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Twotab
Thanks again for the feedback - I really appreciate it!

I wanted to address any issues people have had with the 2011 TSX Tech. If many of the issues with my 2009 TSX are still present in the 2011, I'd definitely be going with the Accord.

However, The general consensus so far is definitely reinforcing the Accord and making me rethink things.

I've actually test driven both cars and they both feel great (why I'm reaching out for help). I was hoping to receive feedback from someone that has gone from the TSX to the Accord. By using both as daily drivers, they would be able to give a better analysis than what I could conclude from a test drive or comparing specs.
Have you tried posting on an Accord forum?
Might be more likely to find folks driving the accord now, and possibly a tsx previous.
Most folks here now own the tsx
Old 10-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Twotab
Thanks for the responses!

@iCrap - What features of the TSX are lacking? It seems that the only advantage (tech wise) that the Accord EX-L has is push to start and the lane watch. TSX has the navi and ELS surround sound system.

@urbanstereo - TLX would be amazing!! but outside of my budget right now. Any specific reasons you would go with the accord?
tech in the accord >>>> ryan gosling doing dirty dancing >>> begin a dodgers fan > tsx tech
The following 2 users liked this post by urbanstereo:
iCrap (10-16-2014), xtcnrice (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone is dissin' the nav in the TSX. It is actually far superior to the system in the Accord because your passenger can operate it while driving. It gets you from point A to point B the same way any other nav does - it just does it without the glitzy graphics and sometimes confusing 3D views.

Yes, the Accord has more "techie stuff" like lane watch and push to start. Lane watch is most superfluous if you've adjusted your mirrors correctly and the push to start and keyfob-less entry are really only a boon to the fairer sex with their huge handbags that swallow things like keys. I had that feature on my BMW and it was nice. It took about two weeks to get used to using a key again in the TSX - but then the TSX doesn't constantly lock and unlock while washing the car and that is just one more thing to go wrong.

The ELS audio in the tech is far superior to the Accord system.

The Accord forums are overflowing with complaints and reliability issues. The TSX wins hands down on reliability.

The bottom line is that if you want the toys in this price range then go for the Accord. If you want a solid car that does most everything right then look at the TSX.

My first TSX was totaled right around the time that my wife was looking for a new Civic, so I spent a lot of time in Honda dealerships and seriously considered the Accord touring. The "no nav while driving" and the dealership experiences were dealbreakers. The comments on the Accord forums didn't help either.
The following users liked this post:
rawger (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Go with the Accord. Since it's such a mainstream car it should be cheaper to fix and more reliable (although they're all hondas). Plus better safety and it's new so it'll last longer and save money in the long run.