Is it foolish to think that Acura would add a push button start later on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it foolish to think that Acura would add a push button start later on?

I loved the intelligent key feature where you walk towards your car and it unlocks the door and the push button start when I testdrove the G35 and IS350. However at the time those two were significantly more expensive at 40k. After seeing the Altima (the ALTIMA!) getting that feature a year ago I held high hopes for the new Accord Coupe to feature it... I was disappointed So I figured the new TSX is going to come out and since Acura is the luxury brand, it'll probably have it... Well here we are and Honda/Acura has disappointed me again. My last hope now is for the new TL to carry it, if not I'll just save a little more for a G35 or IS.

This might be wishful thinking, but can a smart key system be added later on, probably in the 2011 model? Nah... that's way too long for me to wait
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by tracerit
I loved the intelligent key feature where you walk towards your car and it unlocks the door and the push button start when I testdrove the G35 and IS350. However at the time those two were significantly more expensive at 40k. After seeing the Altima (the ALTIMA!) getting that feature a year ago I held high hopes for the new Accord Coupe to feature it... I was disappointed So I figured the new TSX is going to come out and since Acura is the luxury brand, it'll probably have it... Well here we are and Honda/Acura has disappointed me again. My last hope now is for the new TL to carry it, if not I'll just save a little more for a G35 or IS.

This might be wishful thinking, but can a smart key system be added later on, probably in the 2011 model? Nah... that's way too long for me to wait
Is it foolish? Yes, seems to be. Given our current knowledge, nothing at all indicated the 09 was going to have it, or future models for that matter.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The RL has this feature right?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yup and it's still the only car with it. Not even the nearly 50K MDX Sport Ent. has this feature.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Hail Hail

I don't see why this is so important?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic FC

+1

Yea, I won't argue that the feature is definitely kind of cool, but how much does it really accomplish for you??? In actuality, I've heard in real world situations that it can make it easier to steal the car. Of course just like any of the threads that have discussed stolen cars, jf the stealer has the drive and the will, they will get what they want, but why advertise it??? Umm, other than that, honestly how hard it it to take the less than 5 more secords (literally...) to stick the key in the ignition and turn it???
Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the question is how hard it is to stick a key in ignition, the real question is why the newer models don't have this feature. Acura is always pursuing ahead of technology, so it is big no no if this feature was overlooked. I have this feature on my Lexus and it is great. I never need to take the remote out of my pocket.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
I don't think the question is how hard it is to stick a key in ignition, the real question is why the newer models don't have this feature. Acura is always pursuing ahead of technology, so it is big no no if this feature was overlooked. I have this feature on my Lexus and it is great. I never need to take the remote out of my pocket.

I understand where you are coming from.

Then again, I wouldn't let that be the making or breaking point on whether I bought a car
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Instructor

it's a matter of convenience. if no other car had this, i would be ok with it, but since new models are expected to bring new features, i would've thought the tsx would've had it.

only reason why this is important to me is that i'll be keeping whatever car i get for more than five years and i'd like it to have all the features i want. i'm not going to put down 35k and not be happy.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic FC
It's important because of all the hype Acura is creating about moving the brand to Tier 1 luxury. It's like watching a Japanese Godzilla movie (pun intended). The words are coming out of Dick's mouth but they don't sync up with what you see.

Let's take inventory of this "upscaled" TSX
- No power tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- No articulating headlights
- No Active Noise Reduction
- No Keyless entry/start "Comfort Access"
- FWD 4 cylinder engine

This is not a luxury vehicle. This is just the euro Accord with an upscaled badge on it. It's a Honda Civic by American standards. The A badge doesn't qualify as luxury.

Dick can stand up there and make all the speaches he wants about taking Acura to another level but that doesn't make it so. The emperor has no clothes.....
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by surf4fun0418
+1
+2 This is not a high priority feature for me. I really don't understand what is so great about it anyway. There are other things that would have been better to have, like a tad more power.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

If the tsx is going to cost 35k, it better be well equipped with all the features that TL. Another example is the switchblade key? I see members here paying extra $$$ to get it cut. VW jettas have switchblades like 5 years ago. Acura, please step up to the 21st century.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I expect it, at least as as option if for no other reason than the the competition offers it. Not a make or break for me either but it would have been nice.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
+2 This is not a high priority feature for me. I really don't understand what is so great about it anyway. There are other things that would have been better to have, like a tad more power.
+3

what she said. and importantly much better handling, and nicer 18" wheels. to me the lowest priority stuff are power sunshades, backup camera, radar parking, headlight wipers, and multi-zone climate control, intelligent key.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
It's important because of all the hype Acura is creating about moving the brand to Tier 1 luxury. It's like watching a Japanese Godzilla movie (pun intended). The words are coming out of Dick's mouth but they don't sync up with what you see.

Let's take inventory of this "upscaled" TSX
- No power tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- No articulating headlights
- No Active Noise Reduction
- No Keyless entry/start "Comfort Access"
- FWD 4 cylinder engine

This is not a luxury vehicle. This is just the euro Accord with an upscaled badge on it. It's a Honda Civic by American standards. The A badge doesn't qualify as luxury.

Dick can stand up there and make all the speaches he wants about taking Acura to another level but that doesn't make it so. The emperor has no clothes.....
You should add:

- No 6 disk changer in non-Navi TSX. Another step back from 1st gen.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by odessa
You should add:

I agree.....that REALLY sucks. IPod controls or not, I still like to listen to CDs, and I don't want to have to change it every single time I want to listen to a new CD. That is fricking irritating.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by odessa
You should add:

Wow that's a dick move. The car lost 4 HP and 5 CDs. I don't understand why a company that's looking to improve it's image would want to create such hype over a product like this? I have a feeling we probably wouldn't be acting as negatively if Acura hadn't made such a big deal about it.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Pro

Smart keys are far from being a necessity. They are however, a real convenience. You never have to touch your key. It stays in your pocket or bag. You walk up to your car and pull the handle and the doors unlock. You sit and push the start button and the car starts. You can forget about your key. When your hands are full with stuff you don't have to fumble around for your keys. I have it and it is a great feature that you don't really realize how good it is until you have it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
The car lost 4 HP and 5 CDs.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Have camera, will travel

Push button start? Don't need it, don't want it.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Gained weight
Gained 3 inches wider track
Gained torque 8.
Turns Flatter
Much improved structural ridgitiy and safety over current models ancient struture
Better gear ratios
200% quieter
no more wind noise *big for Honda as they never do this sucessfully*
Better sound and more features.

BTW have you guys read all the problems with the keyless entry systems.
Walk away fee in NYC is 50 dollars. Ppl get out and forget its in pocket and the valet gets in and parks it. The poor suckers have to push the car around once they shut it off to move other cars around.

Also some people get in.....THROW KET IN CUP HOLDER? OR PASSENGER SIDE SEAT.

Park and get out. Car is so ADVANCED AND QUIET they dont relize its on. Come back after a day of work and relize it has been idling for 8 HOURS and their is no gas.

Theres tons and tons more of these storys and I love them all.

GREAT ENGINEERING IDEA....but they forgot this is for humans not robots. Human nature....

Turning a key really eliminates it all.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

oh forgot to say that yes VERY FOOLISH. Honda wont add this. Maybe in 5-7 years when the next TSX comes out....
Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

It just shows that you can't please everybody. For every person bemoaning the omission of this feature, there is someone saying that don't want the techno dodads and a better driving experience.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Race Director

push button is a gimmick in my opinion. I think even if they did it like the have it in the RL would be fine. My grandmothers murano has keyless but its like in the RL and she loves it if it was a push start instead she wouldnt notice the difference. I think what people like is not having to take the key out of there pocket.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Racer

its all about perception. if toyota can have push-button start in a camry, honda can sure as heck have it in all their acura's.

even MY MOM said my car was ghetto compared to her friend's camry cuz i have the "ancient" turn-key starter. she laughed that this was suppose to be a "luxury" brand and a "sports" sedan. push-button start makes the "sporty" and "edgy" image more real since there's a tactile response.

honda needs to make up their minds and step up. either sell these cars as "honda" or badge them as "acura" and put those features as standard equipment like their competition.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
its all about perception. if toyota can have push-button start in a camry, honda can sure as heck have it in all their acura's.........

.........push-button start makes the "sporty" and "edgy" image more real since there's a tactile response..............

.... put those features as standard equipment like their competition.
Perception? Well the Camry doesn't have Bluetooth, memory seats (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), HIDs, standard leather, standard moonroof, and I'm sure the list goes on.

The point is that no one feature (or lack of one) makes a car 'luxury' or 'sport', even if it makes your mom laugh at you. If I were in that situation, I'd reply, "yeah but at least my isn't devalued by being a rent-a-car!"

IMO, the one criticism you cannot reasonably make is that Acura doesn't offer enough things as standard equipment.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
push button is a gimmick in my opinion. I think even if they did it like the have it in the RL would be fine. My grandmothers murano has keyless but its like in the RL and she loves it if it was a push start instead she wouldnt notice the difference. I think what people like is not having to take the key out of there pocket.
Agreed. Doesn't have to be a button. Who cares. I love the "knob" starter. It's just a retrofit to the standard keystart since theh car is also sold has the Honda Legend outside NA. Why can't they do the same thing for all the other Acura's.

And for those who don't think they want the feature; It's one of those features you don't miss until you've had it. It's great!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
Perception? Well the Camry doesn't have Bluetooth, memory seats (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), HIDs, standard leather, standard moonroof, and I'm sure the list goes on.

The point is that no one feature (or lack of one) makes a car 'luxury' or 'sport', even if it makes your mom laugh at you. If I were in that situation, I'd reply, "yeah but at least my isn't devalued by being a rent-a-car!"

IMO, the one criticism you cannot reasonably make is that Acura doesn't offer enough things as standard equipment.
while i agree with you about acura's stacking their standard equipment, here's something to think about:

according to edmunds.com:

2009 camry SE V6 with options included - Navigation System $2,140, Sport Leather Package $1,770, JBL AM/FM CD Changer w/8 Speakers (includes bluetooth phone integration) $940, Sunroof Package $940, Vehicle Stability Control $650, Sport Convenience Package $275 = $32,440 MSRP.

2008 acura tsx w/Navi = $31,005 MSRP.

i know for a fact that toyota's jbl sound system is better than acura's pioneer setup - i had a toyota and when listening to the same cd's, no matter how much i fiddle with the acura's sound, its just not crisp. and if i'm not mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong), our tsx is not completely leather but rather large areas of high grade vinyl, while all the toyota's i've seen with leather packages are full leather everywhere.

after all that, camry's v6 has more power and while toyota's sport suspension might be mushy for us driving enthusiasts, its still one heckavua' ride to the average driver.

now add in the fact that there's push-button starter, toyota reliablity, why get an "acura" if your "toyota" is just as good in the eyes of people like my mom?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
6MT or Death

It's all personal choice. seems like you should buy a toyota.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

i know for a fact that toyota's jbl sound system is better than acura's pioneer setup

and if i'm not mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong), our tsx is not completely leather ....

....its still one heckavua' ride to the average driver.....

.....why get an "acura" if your "toyota" is just as good in the eyes of people like my mom?
I don't want to quote everything back so I'll focus on a few points. I'm sure an upgraded stereo from Toyota is better than the Panasonic/Pioneer setup in the TSX. Its OK but nothing spectacular, but it is probably better than a stock Camry unit.

The current TSX seats are all leather where ever you touch. The sides and back are vinyl, I'm sure the Toyota is the same way.

The Camry is a good car for the average driver, and so is the Accord. 300,000 to 400,000 (on both brands) agree on this. The TSX has always been unique in that a fewer number of people 'get it' and the new car will probably continue to do the same: cater to a smaller 'niche' of buyers than the mainstream offerings.

Why do you have a TSX and not a Camry? Probably because recognize value where others do not. Don't second guess yourself.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
I don't want to quote everything back so I'll focus on a few points. I'm sure an upgraded stereo from Toyota is better than the Panasonic/Pioneer setup in the TSX. Its OK but nothing spectacular, but it is probably better than a stock Camry unit.

The current TSX seats are all leather where ever you touch. The sides and back are vinyl, I'm sure the Toyota is the same way.

The Camry is a good car for the average driver, and so is the Accord. 300,000 to 400,000 (on both brands) agree on this. The TSX has always been unique in that a fewer number of people 'get it' and the new car will probably continue to do the same: cater to a smaller 'niche' of buyers than the mainstream offerings.

Why do you have a TSX and not a Camry? Probably because recognize value where others do not. Don't second guess yourself.
i never regret informed decisions i've made. i love my tsx and will continue to love it. its a beautiful car to ME. it has all the features i want and i got it at a pretty good price from your dealership of all places (tho your service leaves a lot to be desired...).

what i was talking about was the general public's PERCEPTION. if the general public were to compare an acura and a lexus, its the small things that stand out and will cause people to make decisions based on the small things. i was using my mom and her PERCEPTION of luxury based on something manini as a push-start button... to her, a new camry SE with all the options was a better deal than a used CPO 07' tsx. she's also experienced servco toyota's service and she aboslutely loved it. she thought your dealership was pretty ghetto in comparison and seriously was not impressed with your customer lounge.

to the general public, those are the things that matter. to us enthusiasts, you could sell the tsx out of a toxic dump site for all i care, if that's the only place i can go to get the car i want as well as get it serviced, i'll still go there. *shrugs*
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
It's all personal choice. seems like you should buy a toyota.
i HAD a toyota. now i HAVE an acura. that was MY personal choice. i was making a comparison based on personal experience. thanks for patronizing me tho.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

i never regret informed decisions i've made.

what i was talking about was the general public's PERCEPTION.
I'm happy you are pleased with your car. From your earlier post, it was hard to tell.

Acura has a huge public perception problem. I believe they recently ranked dead last in a consumer report study. However, I believe this won't be (nor is caused by) the lack of pushbutton start. Frankly there are bigger fish to fry.....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never seen evidence that Honda is always on the bleeding edge of technology, despite what Acura's marketing department would have you believe. Hell, Honda's biggest selling cars were still using carbs almost exclusively until the 90s. If anything, they take a decidedly conservative approach and remain behind the curve regarding certain kinds of technology in their cars.

I believe this is done to protect the consumer as well as Honda's reputation. Instead of going with fads and gadgets, it seems they wait until all of the functional details have been fleshed out by other companies and become more acceptable or mainstream. In some ways this is cheating--allowing others to try and fail/succeed, but it makes a lot of business sense. I have to be careful with my wording because I was blasted one time for implying that Honda wasn't the most innovative and edgy manufacturer on the planet.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Hail Hail

From everything I've read, Honda's new diesel is more advanced than the competition. Not sure, but does the Camry offer instant weather? I love my 2004 TSX, but if I was in the market for a new car today, I'd pass on the 2008 and get a 2009. Very similar performance and a lot more functionality.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
9th Gear

Other considerations aside, it seems to me a keyless entry system has "technology package" written all over it, especially considering they've already done it with the RL.

And to rebut a few of Powered by Honda's notes on the problems with keyless entry systems:

Walk away fee in NYC is 50 dollars. Ppl get out and forget its in pocket and the valet gets in and parks it. The poor suckers have to push the car around once they shut it off to move other cars around.
Just means they have to learn the hard way to ask for the key.

Also some people get in.....THROW KET IN CUP HOLDER? OR PASSENGER SIDE SEAT.
That's no different than leaving the keys in the ignition. Not a problem for those of us who aren't stupid.

Park and get out. Car is so ADVANCED AND QUIET they dont relize its on. Come back after a day of work and relize it has been idling for 8 HOURS and their is no gas.
Not only is this another example of what stupid people can already do with keys, it's easily mitigated by the repeating tone the car plays when you open your door while the engine is running.

Theres tons and tons more of these storys and I love them all.
Me too, but only for schadenfreude, never as a reason to stick with manual keys.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Actually, the push button or keyless start I couldn't care less about. We have it on our family's RL and it's nice, but I can live with it or without it.

What would be nice to have as a standard feature across the board is the electronically controlled starter. I like being able to just click the knob to the start position and let go, then allow the car to crank the starter as needed. Reduces wear and tear on the start and helps give the car a clean start. That would be a feature with real benefit.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't say for sure, bit I'd guess the new car will have this since everything released since the RL does.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Instructor

I think Honda wants to keep differentiations between the TSX and the TL, and thus leaves off some features that really wouldn't add much expense. My '06 TSX didn't have automatic door locks (my Ridgeline does) and adding such a feature is only a matter of programming: Honda already has the firmware - SO THERE WOULD BE NO ADDITIONAL EXPENSE TO INCLUDE IT ON THE TSX.

And I haven't seen Active Noise Cancellation mentioned as a feature of the '09 TSX, even though it's a standard feature on most '08 Accords. [It's cheap - I expect it in future TSXs]

The dimensions of the TSX are surprisingly close to those of the TL. The biggest difference is the 2" of additional hip room in the TL (and the new TSX is probably closing that gap, as it is getting a 2" wider track).

Honda has to leave differences in order to justify the extra $5K one would pay for the TL. I4 vs V6 is a biggie, but not enough by itself.