Fog Lights - Will these LED bulbs fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Fog Lights - Will these LED bulbs fit?

2012 TSX SE. I would like to try to get more use of my fog lights and replace them with a higher output solution. I would like to go 3000k (yellow). I remember a while back a user using H11 Cree type LED bulbs, but I dont think it was on a CU2. I would prefer not go to the HID route due to the ballast/mounting/cold weather starts. Will these style bulbs fit in the fog light enclosure without having any major modification?

Amazon 60W - Uses sleeve for 3000k yellow -
Amazon Amazon

Side note - As with any high power led, they generate heat. These Cree bulbs have a heatsink/fan. I'm betting that the fan wont last more than a year or two. I cannot find data on if these fans fail, is there a fire hazard?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Racer

62 views and no replies, I am assuming that this may not be the best solution since people may not be sure. Can anyone recommend a better solution that will work better than just a halogen/low power LED?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Measure your stock bulbs versus your new LED bulb.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by julius071
Measure your stock bulbs versus your new LED bulb.
I can do one better, I just watched a video on how to install replacement bulbs. I was under the impression that the enclosure was similar to a headlight where there is a dust cover that really limits the capacity of the fog light open cavity. Nope, for the fog light on these cars is a an open cavity that only splash/dust protection is the plastic trim on the skirt. Looks like these will install without issue.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Ugh, LEDs in reflector housings. How is this still "acceptable"?

Why not do a set of Morimoto LED housings that have a defined cutoff?
Found here:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...ect_restrict=1
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis

Found here:
agree with MCDavis. I have seen a lot cars lately with led bulbs in reflector housing and they give off so much glare. Good luck OP whichever direction you go.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Found here:
Is there any reason these would not fit a 2009?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Racer

I have done a bit of searching on this topic. I know from experience that HIDs in a non projector lens is awful and downright a hazard for other drivers. The Morimoto lens would be great, but at its $185+ cost, I'm not exactly thrilled to spend that kind of cash on LEDs. Most of the topics focus on people putting HIDs in old car's headlights (some LEDs), but I can't find much banter about putting LEDs in foglights. I'm wondering if that since they are so low to the ground, they may not be a hazard for other drivers on the road. I'm going to install them this weekend and give them a shot. If they are obnoxious and can potentially interfere with other drivers I'm pulling them right out before the car leaves the driveway. If there is a bit of glare spots here and there, but it does not interfere with the vision of other drivers, I'll consider living with the glare spots.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I've put the similar high powered LED lights in my 2008 Civic with absolutely no issues for installation. Yes the light output is not ideal with plenty of hotspots and dead spots/ weird patterns which are not even symmetrical. But as I understand fog lights are only for looks most of the time. I don't use them while driving in traffic. But I do like them while navigation parking lots at night and showing off to friends .
TSX1012m6 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
Is there any reason these would not fit a 2009?
To my knowledge, no, they should fit. Is there something that makes you think otherwise?

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
I have done a bit of searching on this topic. I know from experience that HIDs in a non projector lens is awful and downright a hazard for other drivers. The Morimoto lens would be great, but at its $185+ cost, I'm not exactly thrilled to spend that kind of cash on LEDs. Most of the topics focus on people putting HIDs in old car's headlights (some LEDs), but I can't find much banter about putting LEDs in foglights. I'm wondering if that since they are so low to the ground, they may not be a hazard for other drivers on the road. I'm going to install them this weekend and give them a shot. If they are obnoxious and can potentially interfere with other drivers I'm pulling them right out before the car leaves the driveway. If there is a bit of glare spots here and there, but it does not interfere with the vision of other drivers, I'll consider living with the glare spots.
The problem with any LED or HID bulb is that the focal point of the light output is likely in a different spot than where the halogen filament was. So it does change the spread of the reflector bucket. In my experience from the F150 world, LEDs and HIDs in reflectors "look brighter" cause they are in fact that, however the useable light is in fact less due to scatter, etc.
To each their own, but I'd rather do it right the first time.
The following 2 users liked this post by MCDavis:
Comfy (02-14-2017), TSX1012m6 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
The problem with any LED or HID bulb is that the focal point of the light output is likely in a different spot than where the halogen filament was. So it does change the spread of the reflector bucket. In my experience from the F150 world, LEDs and HIDs in reflectors "look brighter" cause they are in fact that, however the useable light is in fact less due to scatter, etc.
This^
Old 02-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
To my knowledge, no, they should fit. Is there something that makes you think otherwise?

I think they would but wanted to hear another opinion because their website doesn't list them for a 2009-2010.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
I think they would but wanted to hear another opinion because their website doesn't list them for a 2009-2010.
Call em. Their customer service is pretty good.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have cree leds in my fogs for over a year and they look great!! Have them color matched to headlights (5000k I believe). Installed them so long ago, but I don't remember any fitment issues
Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 AM
Racer

I installed the bulbs over the weekend. They are fantastic! No obnoxious glare or chance of blinding other drivers due to them being so low. Surprisingly enough, they do spread very nice and while there isn't that razor sharp cutoff, they do project very well for a reflector lens.

The only issue is that the "3000K" is more of a very light yellow/green tint. Its not really a gold/yellow. Is putting the yellow tape over the fog light too ricer? I would prefer not to have the fog light yellow and just the bulb yellow but I couldn't find a high power CREE LED that is 3000k.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
I installed the bulbs over the weekend. They are fantastic! No obnoxious glare or chance of blinding other drivers due to them being so low. Surprisingly enough, they do spread very nice and while there isn't that razor sharp cutoff, they do project very well for a reflector lens.

The only issue is that the "3000K" is more of a very light yellow/green tint. Its not really a gold/yellow. Is putting the yellow tape over the fog light too ricer? I would prefer not to have the fog light yellow and just the bulb yellow but I couldn't find a high power CREE LED that is 3000k.
Yellow tape over the LED or vinyl over the foglight lens? LED is measured in lumen and not in kelvin. Let us know how long these LED last.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by julius071
Yellow tape over the LED or vinyl over the foglight lens? LED is measured in lumen and not in kelvin. Let us know how long these LED last.
Actually that may work. I know there is a yellow vinyl that people put on their fog lights but I would rather not do that. These particular lights have a removable lens that gives them the 3000k look. I may be able to wrap that glass insert with the yellow vinyl to achieve a more yellow look. I think I may be getting a bit too ghetto though.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely go with the vinyl yellow fog lens. I use the clear ones right now cause my fogs and headlights match, but I use the film as protection. I had my original fogs crack from road debri plus temp change and they are not cheap to replace. So I run clear vinyl to stop rocks and crap from breaking lens. I'd recommend laminx film cause it's pretty thick and easy to work with, but my friend runs a film made by oracle that looks great. It's like a deeper yellow.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Racer

I'm coming back to correct myself. I contacted TRS myself as I'm getting ready to pull the front bumper on the TSX for trim repair, and I figured I'd upgrade the fogs while I had it off. Well, they confirmed that the XB do NOT fit 09 & 10 due to slightly different bolt hole measurements. The were confident that I could "modify" a set to get them to work, but they would not recommend what set or how. Just wanted to clarify my previous statement.
t3hhcaptain (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm coming back to correct myself. I contacted TRS myself as I'm getting ready to pull the front bumper on the TSX for trim repair, and I figured I'd upgrade the fogs while I had it off. Well, they confirmed that the XB do NOT fit 09 & 10 due to slightly different bolt hole measurements. The were confident that I could "modify" a set to get them to work, but they would not recommend what set or how. Just wanted to clarify my previous statement.
They also stick/poke out, even with modifying the bolt hole bracket, Somebody posted pictures on one of the fog's thread.
MCDavis (02-27-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Racer

I am working on doing an LED retrofit into the stock 2010 halogen housings. Ill post pictures when I receive them. This setup will not rely on the stock reflector bowls.
MCDavis (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2snail
I am working on doing an LED retrofit into the stock 2010 halogen housings. Ill post pictures when I receive them. This setup will not rely on the stock reflector bowls.
Nice. Do you have any more details? These LEDs are working so well in the reflectors, I am very surprised. I actually have fog lights that function for a great price.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Racer

That's good to hear on the performance with the bulbs you got. Can you share some pictures?

I will need to make new fog light lenses as my originals broke from rock chips. I previously made new lenses with lexan but the halogen bulbs were too hot and they bubbled the plastic.

I considered throwing led bulbs like you did. I'm really liking the Porsche panamera drl lights and I want to do an array of 4 led lights spaced out in a similar fashion. I have lexan ready to go for new lenses but I need to develop a mounting solution that will go on top of the reflector bowls. Since the 2010 lights have an odd shape for the housing I will need to figure out the right spacing and angles for mounting. I'll post some videos when I have my materials.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Just get Nokya yellow bulbs for like $18. No more worrying about color matching or incorrect light scattering bs ever again!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Found here:
These are awesome! Anyone on here have them? Was the install just as simple as they say?