Turbo charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Turbo charging

I have a 2014 tsx. I love it. I got the V4 model because I wanted an everyday car with good gas mileage.

That being said, I wish it was faster. If I got a turbo kit, and installed it, would that get me some HP without lowering the reliability? I don’t want to end up with problems.

I want to get up to 300hp someday. That way I can have more kick without sacrificing my gas mileage and reliability.

I almost chose a 350z but didn’t want to pay all that gas and didn’t trust Nissan like I do Honda or Toyota.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
A few comments:
  • There is no such a thing as a V4 Honda automobile engine; if you have a four-cylinder engine you have an I4.
  • Adding forced induction to any vehicle not designed with that in mine will reduce reliability; simple fact of life.
  • Adding a turbocharger will have only a marginal impact on fuel economy when you are driving it off-boost, however, if you lean on it, fuel economy will drop.
  • I would guess a 350Z will be far more reliable than a blown TSX; it was designed to have that amount of power, the TSX was not.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
kurtatx (10-27-2018), thunderbt3 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
A few comments:
  • There is no such a thing as a V4 Honda automobile engine; if you have a four-cylinder engine you have an I4.
  • Adding forced induction to any vehicle not designed with that in mine will reduce reliability; simple fact of life.
  • Adding a turbocharger will have only a marginal impact on fuel economy when you are driving it off-boost, however, if you lean on it, fuel economy will drop.
  • I would guess a 350Z will be far more reliable than a blown TSX; it was designed to have that amount of power, the TSX was not.
Dang. Hopes are low. But I appreciate the honesty. I def don’t need that! The 350z didn’t have any space for me to carry my paintings so I didn’t get it
Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins

Dang. Hopes are low. But I appreciate the honesty. I def don’t need that! The 350z didn’t have any space for me to carry my paintings so I didn’t get it
How about something more like a TL or a G35/G37?
Old 10-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
If you have money then Anything possible . But just know you are going to give up reliability for some extra power
Old 10-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
If you have money then Anything possible . But just know you are going to give up reliability for some extra power
i actually prefer the design of the tsx over the tlx. But I think the tlx has a little higher of a rating now that I think of it.

What kind of stuff mainly goes wrong with a turbo setup? Small things or big, messed up things?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
No to sound like an ass, but obviously you know nothing about cars... V4 was the giveaway...

Don't worry, I was just like you a few years ago... I thought a $500 eBay turbo kit would be a blot on, make my 136hp Camry have 500hp, and not hurt reliability... Shit, I thought a chip would add 80hp...

The reality of it is, you can spent a couple G's with bolt ons and only see 15-25hp MAX!!!

If you need more power that badly, just get a TSX V6, albeit they are rare and hard to find...

If you want a turbo, get an RDX!!! Thats what I have!!!

Based on the TSX, combined with a Honda CR-V, with Honda's first U.S. implementation of a turbo engine... And they are not prone to failure!!!

Have fun looking up everything!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
No to sound like an ass, but obviously you know nothing about cars... V4 was the giveaway...

Don't worry, I was just like you a few years ago... I thought a $500 eBay turbo kit would be a blot on, make my 136hp Camry have 500hp, and not hurt reliability... Shit, I thought a chip would add 80hp...

The reality of it is, you can spent a couple G's with bolt ons and only see 15-25hp MAX!!!

If you need more power that badly, just get a TSX V6, albeit they are rare and hard to find...

If you want a turbo, get an RDX!!! Thats what I have!!!

Based on the TSX, combined with a Honda CR-V, with Honda's first U.S. implementation of a turbo engine... And they are not prone to failure!!!

Have fun looking up everything!!!
so that’s an SUV? I’m not really a big fan of those. And its
ok, I know that I’m not a car person. But having this Acura is starting to change things. I really love it. Just wish it was fast. It seemed fast at first but now i can feel it struggle and work super hard to go fast haha.

I may try try to find a V6 TLX
Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Major car manufacturers have struggled across the board with adding turbos to their engines (increased reliability issues). I would advise against turbocharging your TSX unless you have a mechanic who has done it before.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Major car manufacturers have struggled across the board with adding turbos to their engines (increased reliability issues). I would advise against turbocharging your TSX unless you have a mechanic who has done it before.
thanks for the reply! You know what really inspires me? All of the success stories on YouTube of people hauling absolute ass. If I could pull it off, I would have all the benefits of having a I4, along with my fav Acura design, light weight design, and amazing handling. That’s my mindset.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Latent car nut

thanks for the reply! You know what really inspires me? All of the success stories on YouTube of people hauling absolute ass. If I could pull it off, I would have all the benefits of having a I4, along with my fav Acura design, light weight design, and amazing handling. That’s my mindset.
So, the next question; do you have the $5,000 available it would take to achieve our goals?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Null and proud of it

so that’s an SUV? I’m not really a big fan of those. And its
ok, I know that I’m not a car person. But having this Acura is starting to change things. I really love it. Just wish it was fast. It seemed fast at first but now i can feel it struggle and work super hard to go fast haha.

I may try try to find a V6 TLX

I know man! I made the mistake of trading my TL on a Kia Optima 2.4... While the Optima is pretty fast, I feel the strain now...

The TL was an expensive piece of crap... Would've kept it had it been a TypeS, but as just a base, no thanks, not worth it...

I don't consider the Optima a mistake, but I'm realizing a fast 4 cylinder car is nice, but I can't live without a V6... Thinking of getting an Accord later on...

I can relate!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I know man! I made the mistake of trading my TL on a Kia Optima 2.4... While the Optima is pretty fast, I feel the strain now...

The TL was an expensive piece of crap... Would've kept it had it been a TypeS, but as just a base, no thanks, not worth it...

I don't consider the Optima a mistake, but I'm realizing a fast 4 cylinder car is nice, but I can't live without a V6... Thinking of getting an Accord later on...

I can relate!!!
my friend said that he rode a standard accord V6 before he drove with me and mine had much more kick.

And yes yes I would definitely spend $5k to successfully speed up my car. Might be a while until I do but if I knew I could get away with it I would.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Latent car nut

my friend said that he rode a standard accord V6 before he drove with me and mine had much more kick.

And yes yes I would definitely spend $5k to successfully speed up my car. Might be a while until I do but if I knew I could get away with it I would.
Just think though, if you were to sell your car, add $5,000 to the proceeds, you could definitely buy a car as powerful as you want and have it be more reliable at the same time.

Another thing to consider is your transmission; you haven't said what transmission is in your car, but if it is an automatic and you turbocharge the engine, you will toast your transmission in relatively short order.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-30-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Null and proud of it

Depends on the model/engine displacement/tranny/fuel grade/vehicke condition/ ect...

My Optime feels quicker and lighter on it's feet, but my TL had a lot more torque at and above 4K rpm...

Optima's peak tq is at aroubd 2.5k in daily driving...

The butt dyno can be deceiving!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Yeah! I had a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with 201 HP as well but the TSX blows it away. It is 1000lbs lighter for starters, lol.

Question : someone mentioned that if I get a hondata and got some exhaust parts, I could get 20hp. If I could do that, and get at least 10 from an intake, I would actually be cool with that. And that would not hurt the reliability too much, right?

Do performance spark plugs help? Any little things to get extra bump? Maybe some lighter rims? Ha, I am so obsessed with this car now. It is becoming a problem.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 AM
Null and proud of it

Yeah! I had a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with 201 HP as well but the TSX blows it away. It is 1000lbs lighter for starters, lol.

Question : someone mentioned that if I get a hondata and got some exhaust parts, I could get 20hp. If I could do that, and get at least 10 from an intake, I would actually be cool with that. And that would not hurt the reliability too much, right?

Do performance spark plugs help? Any little things to get extra bump? Maybe some lighter rims? Ha, I am so obsessed with this car now. It is becoming a problem.

IMO, that's the best thing you could do given your level of experience and bang for the buck!!!

Having a turbo added is one thing, but then, you must likely be reliant on the person who did the build and install...

Say, it's Sunday, and you're out of town, the car won't start, or it won't boost, or sonething else...

Ain't no one goona be able to help you!!! And you don't know anything about the car either...

This keeps me from doing a lot of mods... I fabricated a projector headlight setup on my old 2007 Kia Sportage and that thing was always going out, flickering, ect... Went back to stock because it was such a PITA!!!

Really, up to 231hp would make this car keep up, besides, you can't have fun with 400hp on the street without getting barred, or pined!!!

I'm sure someone (everyone) will disagree...
Old 10-28-2018, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Yeah! That sounds like a plan.

Of exhaust, hondata, and intake, which one would be best to get first? I was thinking exhaust, then intake, then hondata to tune them. Maybe rims first, to look good. How much do you think that I could get for my stock rims? 400?

Anyway, I love this forum. You guys helped me fix my bluetooth by removing the module and that struck a nerve, I am loving this stuff.

Rims - 1000
intake - 300 + install
exhaust - 300 + install
hondata - 600!
Old 10-28-2018, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Matt Lump, sounds like you have a lot of research to do. Given you have little to no experience with modifying cars, it's gonna be harder and more $$. But we all have to start somewhere..
Usually for starters, you want to do the basic upgrades of intake, headers, exhaust. At best that will net you 10-20 HP. Doesn't sound like alot, but it have to do until you get alot more $$ to build the motor and such.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Latent car nut

Yeah! That sounds like a plan.

Of exhaust, hondata, and intake, which one would be best to get first? I was thinking exhaust, then intake, then hondata to tune them. Maybe rims first, to look good. How much do you think that I could get for my stock rims? 400?

Anyway, I love this forum. You guys helped me fix my bluetooth by removing the module and that struck a nerve, I am loving this stuff.

Rims - 1000
intake - 300 + install
exhaust - 300 + install
hondata - 600!
Sorry if this post is viewed as me being a party pooper, but strongly suspect your $2,200 list of changes won't amount to even ten additional hp, and virtually no improvement in performance.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Sorry if this post is viewed as me being a party pooper, but strongly suspect your $2,200 list of changes won't amount to even ten additional hp, and virtually no improvement in performance.
true. And it would be harder to sell if it has mods, I’m sure.

Maybe I’ll just leave it alone. I go way too fast as it is.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Latent car nut

true. And it would be harder to sell if it has mods, I’m sure.

Maybe I’ll just leave it alone. I go way too fast as it is.
Yup, the greater the number of mods, the lower the resale value. Some folks, myself included, will walk if they see so much as a K&N drop in filter.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:10 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Wait why wouldn't intake, exhaust and hondata add 10 hp?
Old 10-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
No underlighting.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
worst case is you send 5k and blow your motor on the dyno.

best case you have a really quick car that won't last 300k but at least 200k. video is from a member on here. He and his son both have turbo acura that both had issues.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Latent car nut

Because the engine is already very well optimized.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:54 PM
The inconvenient truth

Because the engine is already very well optimized.
I'm sure it is but intake and hondata aside, wouldn't downpipe and pcd give it 10 or no?

https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcdtp-combo.html
Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Latent car nut

I'm sure it is but intake and hondata aside, wouldn't downpipe and pcd give it 10 or no?

https://www.rv6-p.com/i4pcdtp-combo.html
Just so we're all on the same page here, you're suggesting a "test pipe" will increase horsepower by at least 5%. For my part, I highly doubt it.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:24 PM
The inconvenient truth

Just so we're all on the same page here, you're suggesting a "test pipe" will increase horsepower by at least 5%. For my part, I highly doubt it.
I'm not sure how much it ads. I'm curious how much you think it ads.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Latent car nut

I'm not sure how much it ads. I'm curious how much you think it ads.
It varies by engine, but my SWAG (based upon looking at many engines) is not much more than five hp, and even that might be high. There is also the consideration of the mid-range torque; such changes often give a few extra ponies up at the top end while at the same time cutting mid-range torque by a similar amount. Manufacturers typically optimize their engines for optimal mid range power in lieu of eeking out every ounce of power up near redline.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with horsheoez, this engine is pretty much pushing all the ponies it can without serious modification. There is room for improvements with the tuner that change shift points, rev hang for manual owners, throttle lag, etc but not really extra HP.

Keep the TSX clean and take the $5k you were going to spend and buy a bike and safety gear. You'll satisfy the speed itch you have.