Factory vs Yakima/Thule/Etc crossbars for SportWagon

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Factory vs Yakima/Thule/Etc crossbars for SportWagon

Hi forum -

I've been rocking a trailer-hitch mounted bike/ski rack for years now (continued use on my 2012 tech wagon with a Curt hitch) and have been just fine doing so. Recent outdoorsy activity has necessitated the planned purchase of a roof box of sorts, which means I need to find crossbars.

I'd long considered the Acura-branded crossbars (part number 08L02-TL7-200) since they're designed to work with the car's rack system and since they're comparatively cheaper than other options.

I don't want to just buy them because they're cheap - has anyone else used the Acura crossbars? Any preference for those or any other brand such as Thule, Yakima, Rola, Whisperbar, RhinoRack, etc? Staying under $400 would be ideal, but isn't mandatory.

As for boxes, I've considered the Yakima SkyBox 21 or Thule Sonic XXL. Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I have the Thule 21 cubic feet box

I use oem cross bars
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
I have the Thule 21 cubic feet box

I use oem cross bars
Nice! 21 CF box fits well? Do you have it in contact with the antenna at the back? How far forward does it come over the sunroof/windshield?

Onto the cross bars - how much noise does it produce? I had been considering the Thule AeroBlades due to their purported low noise. Do you keep them on the car all the time or only when you're hauling things?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I only install to haul

Otherwise there is noise
I don't have a front fairing

No issues with rear antennae or opening hatch as I mount our box forward
I can also open sunroof with box no issues
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
I only install to haul

Otherwise there is noise
I don't have a front fairing

No issues with rear antennae or opening hatch as I mount our box forward
I can also open sunroof with box no issues
How difficult/time consuming is installation/removal?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Yakima Whispbars on my car. Sits flush up against the factory rails. I use it for bike rails and yakima cargo box.

Roof Rack Rail Bars | Whispbar
Old 04-12-2016, 03:13 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We have Yakima on the Waggie and use the 44" fairing.

https://www.yakima.com/44-fairing

I set it just back of the moon roof and noise it pretty minimal. Also gas mileage doesn't drop that much either.

Basically goes on it spring and comes off just before winter so as to not interfere with snow removal.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Techno... I never like the look of those too tall/too wide crossbars. (sometimes needed because many Thule/Yakima attachments only fit their bars) I discovered after buying the TSX ..my wife's V70 Volvo had the same runners! I had gotten her Volvo crossbars off Ebay because I carry boards atop all our cars.

It turns out not only Volvo ..but I see the same contractor's runners on VW's Passat wagon and recently on a Nisan Rogue. (did not see crossbars on either)

I had to do a bit of trimming with a chopsaw to narrow the rear crossbar to fit, but I am very happy with the results. ..and have a great little surf wagon.

Jim
Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by apthai86
I have the Yakima Whispbars on my car. Sits flush up against the factory rails. I use it for bike rails and yakima cargo box.

Roof Rack Rail Bars | Whispbar
Another vote for the Whispbars. They're very aero, sit flush, and close to the roof. I put a towel on the roof whenever I install or uninstall the bars.

I use it for carrying bikes and have a set of rails for a fork mount.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimmyXi
Techno... I never like the look of those too tall/too wide crossbars. (sometimes needed because many Thule/Yakima attachments only fit their bars) I discovered after buying the TSX ..my wife's V70 Volvo had the same runners! I had gotten her Volvo crossbars off Ebay because I carry boards atop all our cars.

It turns out not only Volvo ..but I see the same contractor's runners on VW's Passat wagon and recently on a Nisan Rogue. (did not see crossbars on either)

I had to do a bit of trimming with a chopsaw to narrow the rear crossbar to fit, but I am very happy with the results. ..and have a great little surf wagon.

Jim
Looks like a solid alternative! What year is your wife's V70? Do you know the part number?

I found a set of AeroBlades (the kind that sits atop the runners) with the mounting brackets for $250 on Craigslist, debating if I should just get those and pat myself on the back for finding a good deal.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

t-1 ...they appear to be Volvo P/N 30779107 ..her's is a 2008. Also google 'volvo load retainer' ...I'm pretty sure I saw a set for $144 ..but mostly ~$200. Again, the downside: you have to mod these to fit. I have the tools and am not afraid to f-them-up in an attempt to get the look I like.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
cu2wagon (05-22-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts

Jim
So do you have both the Volvo and a TSX Wagon?

Just looking at the pictures, it almost look like they both have the same designed roof rails. If they're both in your driveway, can you confirm or deny?

(It at least appears that they're similar enough that the crossbars are compatible as you mention)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Claro CU.. How'zs?

We got her '08 wagon a few years ago, about 2010. For some strange reason a Volvo dealer in PA had four of these wagons with titles marked 'Rental' with ~18k mileage ...but they were not able to offer conventional financing locally? So I got a $40k wagon for like $22. Took their word on condition, had a transporter bring it. (had to fly to Columbus OH for the TSX) ...somehow the Volvo even ended up 'certified' ..but never really need an extended warranty. Volvo is a good car ..much more like your father's Buick tho'.

Like buying a Red car - once you start looking, you will see these rails everywhere. Some Chevy and Caddy SUVs use them also.

Jim
cu2wagon (05-22-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 AM

Claro, si. Bueno!

Very interesting. I like the low profile of the rails; I might need to track down a set.

So did you just need to chop the actual extruded cross bar to fit the TSX? Looks pretty straight forward.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:55 AM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
I have the Thule Aeroblade cross bars on my sedan with the Thule bike rack and kayak carrier. It does the job well and it doesn't look too bad. It's also pretty easy to install and remove when needed. The only issue I have is the elevated wind noise when driving at highway speeds, but that issue is only noticeable when the sunroof cover is open.

on the car.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Lucky us Denali... we have the rails and room with the seat down. The good news about Thule and Yakima is that there are plenty of 'sport specific' grips. Your Yak looks good up there. ..flip it over, it looks similar to the window profile.

cu2, Chop saw. I didn't save the pic, but I sorta remember that I took off 1.5" off the extrusion. (may a little tight but better than too loose) Goes back together pretty easy. I'd still scan Ebay for other OEMs that use the same contractor; GM, Datsun (Volvo) ..even more, likely.

Jim
cu2wagon (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 AM

cu2, Chop saw. I didn't save the pic, but I sorta remember that I took off 1.5" off the extrusion. (may a little tight but better than too loose) Goes back together pretty easy. I'd still scan Ebay for other OEMs that use the same contractor; GM, Datsun (Volvo) ..even more, likely.

Jim
Thanks Jim, that's exactly what I figured. Shouldn't be too tough, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on eBay and Craigslist .
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM rack is just a Yakima or have a closeup of the attachment to the rails? I'm going back and forth between the overpriced options of OEM, Whispbar, and Yakima Ridgeline w/ Aerobars setup. Racks have always cost too much, but these 3 are all nice and close in price (Labor Day sale at REI vs Bernardis). The Whispbar seems sleeker and more OEM than OEM, the Yakima a little clunky.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
well, I got the Whispbar, which is really nice and easy to install, but have to get adaptors to attach my existing Yakima bike rack, and they don't seem to evin exist yet for my ski rack, which is also by Yakima. That black stripe is a T shaped channel under rubber that apparently is the same as on a Thule, and they may have an adaptor I can use. I probably shouldda just gotten a chunky roundbar....

Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSXWagoneer
well, I got the Whispbar, which is really nice and easy to install, but have to get adaptors to attach my existing Yakima bike rack, and they don't seem to evin exist yet for my ski rack, which is also by Yakima. That black stripe is a T shaped channel under rubber that apparently is the same as on a Thule, and they may have an adaptor I can use. I probably shouldda just gotten a chunky roundbar....
These are the exact same ones I have! I have nothing to compare to, but because these are aero, they're supposed to have less wind noise than the chunky roundbar, and when not carrying anything, would have a smaller mpg penalty.

I use this with two Yakima bike rails (fork mount). I'm thinking about ski racks... perhaps the short version that holds 4 pairs of skis instead of 6. But for now, we don't ski that much, so skis and boots just go in the trunk with one seat folded down.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:24 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I know this thread is a bit dated but I still think it's better to keep all this in one place. I'm looking for some crossbars for my 2014 Sportwagon to mostly haul lumber, a few 2x4 or a sheet of plywood. I suppose most of the brands mentioned here will do the job well enough. Prices I'm seeing are $300 and up. Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbt
I know this thread is a bit dated but I still think it's better to keep all this in one place. I'm looking for some crossbars for my 2014 Sportwagon to mostly haul lumber, a few 2x4 or a sheet of plywood. I suppose most of the brands mentioned here will do the job well enough. Prices I'm seeing are $300 and up. Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places.
I've never understood why it's a "faux pas" to revive old threads. Logical groupings with history for context make perfect sense to me.

That said, $300 sounds about right. Maybe you can find some used ones from someone here, or on eBay.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM

I've been low-key looking for crossbars and haven't stumbled upon any yet.

I'm really liking the Whispbars and will likely go that route. Since this tread bubbled up last night I went and looked again. For the SportWagon, we need the Whispbars S54 and I found them for ~$250 at Amazon. Last night they had one listed in their Warehouse Deals for $217 but said it was missing mounting hardware. But, there really isn't any mounting hardware involved so it might be a worthwhile gamble.

Last edited by cu2wagon; 05-06-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

fbt: I was looking for some inexpensive bars to accompany a paddleboard on a plane to the Dominican. I didn't want to use soft racks on a rental CUV with a larger/heavier board vs the typical surfboard. 'Never made the trip, but I got some really decent bars off Amazon. 'Cargoloc' for ~ $40. I don't like the 'hanging-over-the-side' look for my personal car, but if you're only using it occasionally –especially for 4x8 ply, etc.— why spend a lot of money? Cheers.

Jim

http://www.amazon.com/CargoLoc-Roof-Aluminum-Cross-Bars/dp/B00GA2HKAU http://www.amazon.com/CargoLoc-Roof-Aluminum-Cross-Bars/dp/B00GA2HKAU

(I'm with McCoy ..I got a ping that the thread was opened again. Why not?)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Just rembered —I had a pic. Jim

fbt (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM
fbt
Racer

The reviews on those $40 crossbars are a bit scary, but what the heck.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:26 PM
fbt
Racer

Put the Carloc bars on this weekend, they will work just fine for the occaisional light haul from the hardware store.
Factory vs Yakima/Thule/Etc crossbars for SportWagon-crossbars.jpg
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Bonehead

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just a thought... if you don't like them hanging over the side, is there anything to prevent you from hack-sawing off the excess and putting the end cap back on? Looks like they are just aluminum channel.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:53 PM

I found something that looks interesting last night. Well, actually the eBay "do you like?" algorithm finally came through... Usually it's stupid and recommends "oh, you searched for TSX stuff, would you be interested in a carburetor for a small block Chevy?" but this time, it accidentally had something useful.

It appears, to me, that the Whispbar generic MIC specials are out there... For like 20% of the price!

Check it out:
Pair 93-99cm Aluminum Top Rail Roof Rack Car Cross Bars Crossbar Kayak Carrier | eBay

I need to take a quick measurement, but I think one of the sizes they have listed will work. And I need to figure out what the right keywords are to find these because I'd be there are others once we figure out how to find them.

No-Name eBay:

Whispbar:

Old 05-23-2017, 10:33 AM
fbt
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottyWM
Just a thought... if you don't like them hanging over the side, is there anything to prevent you from hack-sawing off the excess and putting the end cap back on? Looks like they are just aluminum channel.
I pulled on the end cap and it feels like it could come off. For my uses I don't care what it looks like.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placed an order for the Acura OEM 08L02-TL7-200 rack for my 2013 tsx wagon for a price I couldn't refuse. Before I get it next week before I use it I don't have a chance to return the rack. Looking for words of wisdom about the OEM rack or close up pictures. Does it produce a lot of wind noise?
I'll be using the rack to haul a wind surfing board or a paddle board or kayak short distances.

Recently purchased this like new condition white unicorn wagon.. has 26,000 miles on it. Even has a technology package. Lovin it!