Engine replacement Emission System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine replacement Emission System Questions

Good evening, I have a 2009 TSX 2.4 K24. I have to replace the engine.I do have a few engines choices to choose from locally.But I have a Cali emission system.The catalytic converter is different and the obd flash would be also. Could I swap in a Federal emission system motor? The engine I have eyes on has 84k on it! I got a pic of the engine bay emission tag from car as a reference.

Has anyone come across this situation? I do see those engine numbers on the bottom right of the decal,Im sure those are seriel numbers for the engine type. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Those numbers designate engine family and evap system. I'm not totally familiar with California's emissions, but its just saying that the OEM components that have been tested to be CARB legal. Any replacement or aftermarket components either have to be OEM or approved by CARB in order to operate in California. I don't believe it means it has special CA parts or CA specific engine calibration. All TSX's will probably have the same sticker...further explanation below.

CU2 TSX's were built in Japan, or at least mine was. On the assembly line, would they know which car will be shipping to the US or Canada to install the specific CAT or engine calibration? Drilling down further, when the cars came off the boat at port, did they know that exact vehicle was going to get loaded on a train to California, or Texas, or North Carolina? What if I bought the TSX in Oregon, but live in or commute to California, would the dealer have to swap in CA legal stuff? The logistics of having CA specific parts and calibration would be a nightmare. Its much easier to have the vehicle CA legal since it should be legal everywhere else.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Those numbers designate engine family and evap system. I'm not totally familiar with California's emissions, but its just saying that the OEM components that have been tested to be CARB legal. Any replacement or aftermarket components either have to be OEM or approved by CARB in order to operate in California. I don't believe it means it has special CA parts or CA specific engine calibration. All TSX's will probably have the same sticker...further explanation below.

CU2 TSX's were built in Japan, or at least mine was. On the assembly line, would they know which car will be shipping to the US or Canada to install the specific CAT or engine calibration? Drilling down further, when the cars came off the boat at port, did they know that exact vehicle was going to get loaded on a train to California, or Texas, or North Carolina? What if I bought the TSX in Oregon, but live in or commute to California, would the dealer have to swap in CA legal stuff? The logistics of having CA specific parts and calibration would be a nightmare. Its much easier to have the vehicle CA legal since it should be legal everywhere else.
Yes.

There are differences in California cars and swapping in a non-California engine may be a headache, although you should be able to take the bits off yours.

What's wrong with your engine?