Electric Steering: 2010 TSX v. 2012 Focus SEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Electric Steering: 2010 TSX v. 2012 Focus SEL

I think my TSX (base, 6MT) is an outstanding daily driver with fantastic chassis dynamics, but IMO the numb electrically-assisted steering dilutes its sports sedan credentials. It's linear and accurate, but IMO transmits little information from the contact patches, and it's especially numb and soft on-center. (Different tires would undoubtedly help, but I'm not sure how much.) Automotive journalists have levelled similar criticism at other cars with EPAS, including the new BMW 5 Series and Ford Mustang GT, which has made me wonder why EPAS reduces steering feel, and how soon the technology would evolve to address this problem. (I've driven the Mustang GT, which has better feel than the TSX, no doubt helped by the RWD configuration.)

So, when I ended up with a 2012 Focus SEL as a rental for the weekend, I was curious about its steering feel. I wasn't optimistic, due to the awful steering in my dad's Fusion, which makes the Acura system feel like something out of a Porsche. I was, however, pleasantly surpised: The Focus's system has an accurate, linear response almost exactly like the TSX's, but stronger on-center feel, which provides a more "locked-in" sensation on the highway. It has more effort just off-center, and a stronger return to center, especially at lower speeds. It doesn't transmit much more information from the contact patches, and is still somewhat numb in that sense. But this touch of additional feedback and the different assist profile create a more engaging overall feel, no question. When I got back into my TSX last night, I noticed the difference immediately. (I also noticed how much I love our engine and the marvelous 6MT!)

Ford has obviously made progress in this area, and I assume Honda/Acura will do the same with their FWD cars. (The systems in the RWD NSX and S2000 were apparently very good.) I therefore expect great things from the upcoming smaller Acura, and hopefully future generations of the TSX, which hits my value/utility/comfort/fun sweet spot better than just about anything else. (Of course, there's also the upcoming Focus ST...)