DIY: JDM Honda Type S Skirt Package Install (non-drilling method)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
DIY: JDM Honda Type S Skirt Package Install (non-drilling method)

The JDM Type S skirt package consists of a front underspoiler, side skirts and a full bumper replacement. It didn't come with mounting hardware or any installation instructions, hence this DIY. Acura wanted a cool $120 and a 2 month wait for the mounting hardware so I ended up going through Fastenal and the local auto parts shop and ended up shelling out only $20.

Parts List

Front underspoiler
  • 4x 5mm clip nuts
  • 4x 5mm self-tapping screws (or 2x if you want to re-use 2 screws from your front mudguards)
  • 10x 6mm clip nuts
  • 10x bumper bolts

Side skirts
  • 6x bumper clips
  • 3M tape (non-drilling method)

Rear bumper
No additional mounting hardware needed

Tools Needed
  • Screwdriver
  • Ratchet
  • Jack, jack stands, wheel chocks
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Drill (to make holes for the bumper clips for the side skirts)
  • Touch-up paint

Obligatory disclaimer: Please do not attempt this if you are not mechanically-inclined or do not understand the instructions. I assume no responsibility for any personal injury or damage you might cause by attempting this on your own. If you're not sure of how to do something, then have your dealer install it!

FRONT UNDERSPOILER INSTALLATION
Here's what the hardware and front underspoiler look like unpackaged:

First locate the two small indents on the edge of your front bumper in the front wheel well.

Insert two 5mm clip nuts being careful to have the raised part of the nut facing forward. It helps to have the front wheel turned or removed to give yourself more room.

Move to the front of the vehicle and look underneath the bumper to find 8 of these slots.

And one of these holes on either side of the bumper

Insert ten 6mm clip nuts into these slots with the raised portion of the nut facing upwards.

Prep the surface of the front bumper with some rubbing alcohol on a clean shop rag.

On the underspoiler itself, peel back a portion of the 3M tape backing and use some masking tape to temporarily secure the backing of the tape to the front of the spoiler (makes it easier to peel later).

Get a friend to hold the spoiler against the bumper and insert two 5mm self-tapping screws on each side of the car into the clips nuts you put into the wheel well earlier.

Insert ten 6mm bumper bolts into the clip nuts under the spoiler.

Position the spoiler and then remove the rest of the backing of the 3M tape. Using firm pressure (Honda recommends a roller) press down on the spoiler till the tape holds securely.

Some pics of the fitment

REAR BUMPER INSTALLATION
The rear bumper is just a replacement so it's a simple take-off, put-on affair.

Find and remove these two screws in the rear wheel well

And this one up high at almost the 2 o-clock position in the wheel well

Look directly under the bumper near the license plate and find and remove two of these bumper clips

Open the trunk and use a slotted screwdriver to remove the cap for two of these bolts

Ok here's where everyone gets nervous. Gently and carefully pull back and out on the bumper starting at the wheel well to help the bumper disengage from the mounting tabs. It might help to insert something to disengage the tabs but mine came out pretty easily. Work slowly and don't rush this part or you'll end up with broken mounting tabs. Here's what the bumper looks like removed

Take the two reflectors out of the old bumper and place it into the new one.

Install of the new bumper is reverse of the above steps and you'll end up with this

SIDE SKIRT INSTALLATION (NON-DRILLING METHOD)

Here's what the side skirts look like from Honda. I removed the white tabs because I'm not drilling into the sides of my rocker panel to mount these.

Tabs removed

Using a phillips head screwdriver, remove the 3 self-tapping screws holding the front mudguard in place. It helps to turn the front wheel or remove it altogether.

Have a friend position the skirt in place against the rocker panel and look underneath the skirt. Locate the three holes for the bumper clips and use a marker to mark the position of these holes. Set skirt aside.

Set the parking brake, locate the jack point and jack up the front of the vehicle. Place vehicle securely on jack stands and set down wheel chocks or block the rear wheels. Get a drill and 3/8 drill bit and make a hole at the front and middle holes you've marked. It helps to make a pilot hole before you start drilling with the 3/8. Apply touch-up paint to the hole to prevent rust forming. Lower the vehicle and repeat with the rear hole.

Place 3M tape along the length of the side skirt and remove a small portion of the backing as you did with the front underspoiler. Have a friend hold the skirt and insert two of the three self-tapping screws you removed from the mudguard into the holes in the front of the skirt in the front wheel well. Insert 3 bumper clips into the holes you drilled under the vehicle.

Prep the surface with rubbing alcohol. Position the skirt and carefully remove the backing of the 3M tape.
TIP! Don't position the skirt too high or you won't be able to open the rear doors!! There is a crease along the body and door that lines up with the skirt.

Use firm pressure or a roller as above with the front underspoiler and secure the side skirt. Repeat for the other side.

Honda recommends not washing the car for 24 hrs. There's no rain forecasted for the next few days so I'm good! I'll wash and wax her up good later this week and do a formal photoshoot!
The following users liked this post:
dave_88 (10-28-2014)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
ahhhh!!! cant wait to see the real photos. Great write up man and I am very jealous of your sexy new ride.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ +1 , i am jelly of your body kit as well sir.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Excellent writeup

I was quite surprised that the kit did not come with installation instructions or hardware. Can't wait to see the final product.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
congrats! how much did you end up paying for the whole kit?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ttk5
ahhhh!!! cant wait to see the real photos. Great write up man and I am very jealous of your sexy new ride.
Originally Posted by ed_423
^ +1 , i am jelly of your body kit as well sir.
No need to be jealous when your rides look as good as they do but thanks anyways

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Excellent writeup

I was quite surprised that the kit did not come with installation instructions or hardware. Can't wait to see the final product.
Yeah, definitely tech. Instructions I can deal with but I was under the impression we were getting hardware like the North American accessories. I think you got hardware for the front skirt from lings right?

Originally Posted by Rawesome
congrats! how much did you end up paying for the whole kit?
Thanks Rawesome. Your ride was one of the ones that inspired this purchase. $2k and change.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
WTF no hardware either!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn...I'm pissed. And I'm still pissed off that drilling is 'required' for the side skirts, but I understand why now.

I wonder if someone on here in Russia or Japan can get a hold of the Honda instructions for us.

Did you locate some instructions already? Where did you get the 'Honda recommends a roller' from?

Last edited by Prototype; 06-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Pro

You'll be hard-pressed to find instructions since the side skirts and rear bumper are not accessories--they're actual body parts for the Type S. I believe the front underspoiler is an actual accessory. Yeah, mounting hardware would have been nice but hey $20 is not too bad. That's the whole point of this DIY. If you still want instructions, the best bet would be to find a Japanese or European equivalent of a Haynes shop manual and look up one for the Type S....yeah a long shot.

I just looked up Honda's instructions for installing bodykits from previous gens and other models and got an idea of where to start from there.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Why is this diy so sexy
Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
where can I get the rear bumper? how much?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks great my friend. I've been keeping the runways hot from VA to WA to NY and out to Cali tomorrow. :P Maybe I'll get my side skirts installed eventually. I bought all the hardware to drill, but haven't had the time to sort exactly where the holes need to go.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by s40 driver
Looks great my friend. I've been keeping the runways hot from VA to WA to NY and out to Cali tomorrow. :P Maybe I'll get my side skirts installed eventually. I bought all the hardware to drill, but haven't had the time to sort exactly where the holes need to go.
Nice! Last I read you were still debating whether or not to drill the rocker panel, right? Drilling is definitely not for me in case I ever want to go back to stock...the 3m tape is holding up well so far. If I had to drill I'd probably get the shop to do it.

Just a heads up if you do decide to drill--definitely start with a pilot hole and go up gradually. Make sure your drill bit is sharp too--my job on the underside took 30 min longer cause I was working with a dull bit. Switched to a sharper one and it went right through easy.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Racer

Still coast hopping and the skirts have been sitting on my shelf for the last month+. I am leaning towards 3m install in case I ever want to remove them as well. I already bought the hardware for the install though so I'm not sure. I guess thats why I've been putting it off so long. Once I start drilling it'll be too late to turn back
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Racer

I ordered the double sided 3M industrial strength tape last week and celebrated the 4th with the installation of the skirts. Unfortunately it dumped rain right after the install so she is garaged for a few days. I did manage one pic from my phone. Thanks 5thTo2nd for setting up the group by and making my V6 that much more unique.

Pardon my messy garage

(The white line is just reflection of my flourescent lights)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Pro

Looks awesome bud. How did you find the install process? Any snags along the way?

Your V6 is looking better and better.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
looking sharp!