Dealer pulling a fast one on oil consumption issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer pulling a fast one on oil consumption issue?

So I got the notice of warranty extension in the mail last week, for the oil consumption issue. I've been having to add oil frequently between oil changes. So, I took it to the dealer yesterday, and the they changed the oil (it was due anyway), and they will monitor it every 1000 miles, up to 5 times. So I checked the oil level this morning to see where it's at, and it's overfilled! How can you have a reference point if it's above the highest mark on the dipstick (which it's not supposed to be anyway)? I'm going to call about it later and see what their excuse is. This doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robm
So I got the notice of warranty extension in the mail last week, for the oil consumption issue. I've been having to add oil frequently between oil changes. So, I took it to the dealer yesterday, and the they changed the oil (it was due anyway), and they will monitor it every 1000 miles, up to 5 times. So I checked the oil level this morning to see where it's at, and it's overfilled! How can you have a reference point if it's above the highest mark on the dipstick (which it's not supposed to be anyway)? I'm going to call about it later and see what their excuse is. This doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?
Overfilling is quite common and isn't necessarily an indication of intent - just general incompetence.

Overfilling can cause catalytic converter issues but not at this stage.

Clearly, the remedy is to have the dealer adjust the oil level to be correct, then monitor it as required.

I would also document this incident in an email to the GM of the dealership copying Acura. Leave out any comments about intent. You don't know that was the intent, you can't prove it and in all likelihood it was just normal incompetence.

Are you having oil loss issues?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
Overfilling is quite common and isn't necessarily an indication of intent - just general incompetence.

Overfilling can cause catalytic converter issues but not at this stage.

Clearly, the remedy is to have the dealer adjust the oil level to be correct, then monitor it as required.

I would also document this incident in an email to the GM of the dealership copying Acura. Leave out any comments about intent. You don't know that was the intent, you can't prove it and in all likelihood it was just normal incompetence.

Are you having oil loss issues?
You're probably right, just incompetence. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since it was the end of the day and my car was the last one out of the shop. I'm not sure if I'm having unacceptable oil loss issues. I do have to add oil a few times between oil changes but, I'm not sure if it's an unacceptable amount. I figured since I could have warranty work done if needed, I'd just go ahead and see what is found. I have an '09 with 84k miles.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
<p>I wonder if the dealers are marking the plug in any way to&nbsp;see if you are purposely draining oil out?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrblitzer
I wonder if the dealers are marking the plug in any way to see if you are purposely draining oil out?
Unlikely and you could always suck it out via the dipstick - but - aside from the ethical issues, getting a repair when it isn't necessary makes little sense given all of the things that could go wrong during and after the repair that might not appear for a while and wouldn't be covered under warranty. How many stories have we seen here where the writer says "I took my car in for service and now...."

It is unlikely that a leak (for example) that shows up a few thousand miles after the repair would be covered (unless the whole car is still under warranty of course).

If it "burns" oil then you'll want to get it fixed, but why try to fix something that isn't broken. My 40k mile wagon burns no oil (knock on wood) and I hope to keep it that way with routine maintenance and smooth driving.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
<p>I agree with ceb, maybe except for those who are experiencing oil consumption, but not enough for Acura to honour the TSB/rebuild. Those who get screwed because the oil burned but &quot;not enough&quot; will probably resort to such unethical behaviour.</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I called the dealership this morning and let them know the car was overfilled with oil. The guy there asked me how I checked the oil. I told him I checked it after the car sat for about an hour after driving it. He told me to start it up, shut it off and recheck the level after about 30 seconds. I did that and its still overfull (between top dot and the twist in the dipstick). It was up to the twist before. Where is he getting this method from? In the manual it says to check the oil level after the engine has been shut off for several minutes. I'm taking it back and having them put in the correct amount.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
<p>
Originally Posted by xtcnrice
</p><p>I agree with ceb, maybe except for those who are experiencing oil consumption, but not enough for Acura to honour the TSB/rebuild. Those who get screwed because the oil burned but &quot;not enough&quot; will probably resort to such unethical behaviour.</p><p>
</p><p>This was where I was getting to .. after the guy on the other thread got mad cause he got denied for not eating enough oil and is now over miled.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>
Originally Posted by robm
Well, I called the dealership this morning and let them know the car was overfilled with oil. The guy there asked me how I checked the oil. I told him I checked it after the car sat for about an hour after driving it. He told me to start it up, shut it off and recheck the level after about 30 seconds. I did that and its still overfull (between top dot and the twist in the dipstick). It was up to the twist before. Where is he getting this method from? In the manual it says to check the oil level after the engine has been shut off for several minutes. I'm taking it back and having them put in the correct amount.
</p><p>The tech is probably getting to the fact that the oil will settle after it's been ran, thus asking you to turn it on, let it run, then let it settle after shutting down.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
xtcnrice (09-17-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Cruisin'

I took it back yesterday, and they admitted that it was over filled. They drained it, refilled to top dot, and showed me the dipstick. At least everything is correct now.
xtcnrice (09-18-2015)