How do we remove the chrome trim located above the license plate? (2011+)

Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do we remove the chrome trim located above the license plate? (2011+)

Would like to tint my taillights a shade darker but would need to remove the chrome trim first in order to access the taillight corners. Can't seem to find instructions on how to remove it. Any tips?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's held in with plastic push clips. If you have a plastic pry tool you can pop them out pretty easily. There is 5-6 of them total. You can remove the inner carpet cover on the underside of the trunk lid and reach your hand up there and find exactly where they are. Applying the prying force right on where the clips are will make it easier.

You may have better luck than me, but I broke a few so you'll probably need to order some replacements
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mrsparkle666
It's held in with plastic push clips. If you have a plastic pry tool you can pop them out pretty easily. There is 5-6 of them total. You can remove the inner carpet cover on the underside of the trunk lid and reach your hand up there and find exactly where they are. Applying the prying force right on where the clips are will make it easier.

You may have better luck than me, but I broke a few so you'll probably need to order some replacements
Thanks! This is the answer I was looking for I'll access behind the trunk lid first to see where the clips are located. Would the chrome trim or the rubber around it be easily chipped and deformed when trying to pry it out with the plastic tool? Did you pry from the top or the underside of the chrome trim?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:27 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by impact13lue
Thanks! This is the answer I was looking for I'll access behind the trunk lid first to see where the clips are located. Would the chrome trim or the rubber around it be easily chipped and deformed when trying to pry it out with the plastic tool? Did you pry from the top or the underside of the chrome trim?
I've popped that piece out a few different times. Plasti-dipped it once, then removed that and wrapped it in 3m. Had to remove it again in order to get the lamin-x on the tails. It's pretty easy and the piece is robust, so it's held up very well. Like I said, the weak point is the clips. You will likely break one. If you do, just make sure you use clips on the far edges and in the middle and it will be fine until you can order some more.

Pry the piece down, putting your plastic trim remover piece in the groove between the piece and the top of the trunk. Best bet is to use the trim remover tool that has prongs so that you can get them around the plastic clip inside. Getting pressure on both sides of the clip will help in popping it out easier and not breaking the clip.

Just make sure you use plastic tools, and not metal. You can get a set of plastic trim removal tools on amazon for $10-20. They even have them at harbor freight for less. If you plan on doing any tinkering around any car these are invaluable. I've used mine so many times... Infinitely better than the old flat head screwdriver covered in masking tape trick
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM
6th Gear

Those are great tips and I'll need to order those tools! Cheers