Considering a TSX (wagon) purchase - never owned a Acura - feedback please

Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a TSX (wagon) purchase - never owned a Acura - feedback please

So I'll admit it. I'm a wagon guy. First an Audi A6 Avant, then a BMW 325ix touring, now a (soon to hopefully be 'bought back') VW TDI Sportwagen. Wagon's suit me and my lifestyle. So now I'm considering a 2011-2013 TSX Wagon. I hear they are underpowered and could be better with a 6 speed auto or manual. And frankly I"m not in love with the way the a lot of the space is taken up with the shocks / wheels wells or whatever seems to be eating up space when the seats are down. With all that said, I'm leaning towards it as the first choice in replacing my TDI. The reliability of Honda / Acura being the primary factor. My previous cars began to get very expensive / annoying repairs as they age. Having never owned an Acura or a Honda, I would really appreciate any insight and or feedback form TSX owners and particularly Wagon owners. Also, any suggestions on boosting horsepower (intakes, chips etc) without compromising reliability? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Wagon guy!

Well, as you know, your wagon options are limited.

The TSX Wagon doesn't really excel at anything in particular but it does everything well.

That's to say, for what it is, it's pretty good. But if you're looking for a barnstormer to drag race stoplight to stoplight, you'll probably be disappointed.

But if you want a reliable, kinda-sorta fun to drive, pretty well sorted, wagon... It fits the bill.

When I bought mine, I literally compromised on every "must have" feature I wrote down, except for "wagon". I despise FWD, slushboxes, wasn't a huge fan of Honda, and I wanted a V6... But wagon. So I bought it.

And now I like it.

So you should buy one.

And then go get on the presale list for the EndlessRPM exhaust. In fact, go do that now. It'll be ready for when you get the wagon.
The following users liked this post:
skierz (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

Thanks cu2. Much appreciated response. The space thing though is a bit annoying with the wheel wells...has that been an issue for you? Beyond that, my drag racing days are long behind me...as long as it can light up on the highway I'm happy, as I do a lot of (heavy footed) highway driving...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Wagon guy!

Well, as you know, your wagon options are limited.

The TSX Wagon doesn't really excel at anything in particular but it does everything well.

That's to say, for what it is, it's pretty good. But if you're looking for a barnstormer to drag race stoplight to stoplight, you'll probably be disappointed.

But if you want a reliable, kinda-sorta fun to drive, pretty well sorted, wagon... It fits the bill.

When I bought mine, I literally compromised on every "must have" feature I wrote down, except for "wagon". I despise FWD, slushboxes, wasn't a huge fan of Honda, and I wanted a V6... But wagon. So I bought it.

And now I like it.

So you should buy one.

And then go get on the presale list for the EndlessRPM exhaust. In fact, go do that now. It'll be ready for when you get the wagon.
What are the highlights of the endless rpm exhaust?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I hate my wagon - that's why I bought a second one when a Mercedes driver totaled my first one.

I've not found the wheel well issues to be - well - issues. It hasn't stopped me from putting in everything I needed to put in. Yesterday, the motor pool didn't open on time so instead of taking the company minivan, I took mine - 3 techs plus me, 8 computers, 50 keyboards in boxes, 3 backpacks and my Tom Bihn SuperEgo. Everything but the techs fit behind the seats.

I went from a Tahoe to an A6 to an S6 to a GTI to an R32 to a 335ix to the TSX wagon to the TSX wagon since 2000. After 30k miles in TSX wagon #1 and now almost 50k in TSX wagon #2, I've not had any unscheduled dealer visits - as opposed to the 335 that went through 4 fuel pumps in the 2xk miles that I owned it.

This is a reliable, fun car. It won't win at the dragstrip but it'll hold its own on the twisties.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by skierz
Thanks cu2. Much appreciated response. The space thing though is a bit annoying with the wheel wells...has that been an issue for you? Beyond that, my drag racing days are long behind me...as long as it can light up on the highway I'm happy, as I do a lot of (heavy footed) highway driving...
Yeah, I was expecting, and certainly would like a bit more volume in the "wayback" but for all my needs so far, it's worked out fine. Plenty of space for day-to-day hauling (mostly as my commuter/kid-hauler) and weekend jaunts. I've picked up/transported 2 adults and luggage from the airport. But I also have a SUV for the heavy-duty and major road-tripping jobs.

Originally Posted by skierz
What are the highlights of the endless rpm exhaust?
Personal preference. There have been a few exhaust options for the TSX, mostly coming over from Japan. Although they don't specifically fit the USDM wagon since it has an extra 4-6 inches (ish) of overhang in the rear with the 5mph bumpers.

EndlessRPM is the first company that I'm aware of that is looking to jump into making a wagon specific application. Plus it sounds good, made in the USA of quality materials, backed by a lifetime warranty, and Bruce (AckTL05) is a supporter of the community here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-wagon-945220/

I'm just badgering people because I want one and we need 5 folks in to make it happen.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

What about fuel? Will I have to use the highest octane fuel?

What about fuel? Will I have to use the highest octane fuel?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM

That's personal preference. Some say "yes", some say "no".

Acura recommends it but doesn't state it's required.

I've done both and don't see any difference in mpg or apparent power. I *think* I've felt a slight bit of hesitation with lower-grade but I can't verify it.

I use premium now. It's only a couple bucks more per fill-up and worth the piece of mind, for me.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't find the shock intrusion issue to be as bad as some people say. We are DINKs, so we mostly use the wagon for trips. All of our items are small, but we have several of them. The shock towers don't make a huge difference for this packing scenario but hauling plywood or a TV, etc., that would be different. Just depends on why you need a wagon.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I came here from a 2007 Audi A3. So the TSX has more room, especially in length. It's slower, but my A3 had a 2.0l chipped engine and 6-speed manual. At 30,000 miles I have had 0 problems on my 2014. It has a better stereo even in base trim and more comfortable seats. Dealer service is about half the price compared to Audi. I almost bought a VW Sportwagon, but it was similar to my Audi and I wanted something different. I'm an old guy so I really don't want to speed around town anymore, besides I have an old Elan for that. I would of loved to get a Volvo V70 just for the seats, and BMW dealers were dicks to me.
skierz (05-20-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
I don't find the shock intrusion issue to be as bad as some people say. We are DINKs, so we mostly use the wagon for trips. All of our items are small, but we have several of them. The shock towers don't make a huge difference for this packing scenario but hauling plywood or a TV, etc., that would be different. Just depends on why you need a wagon.

Have owned wagons since the 80s. Mostly bigger than the TSX and some smaller (two Honda Wagovans).

Wife +2 kids. Tons of 1000+ mile journey. The shock intrusion has never been an issue.
skierz (05-20-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ski... I'm a 'wagon person'. Started with a Ford Fairlane woody in about '70. I also like hatches, but wagons better. My only real gripe about the TSX is, being 6-0 x 185lbs the seats are too low, too small and too leaned back.. and I max out the available length. I prefer a little elevation and less 'scoop'. The seats in out Peugeot 505 TDW were the best ever.. back when again. We've had Mercedes and some later domestics. My wife has a Volvo V70. (bit too cushy for me..)

This is a nice car and it's nice not to see yourself 500X over like in a CRV. I also don't look like I should have a nursing home sticker as I would with a Subie. (they have Chitty racks anyway.. that, and CVTs would keep me away forever)

The TSX is a little 'buzzy' but the mileage is great with Mid or Super ..30+ all day. And cheap when bought coming off lease.

Actually, there is one thing I seriously don't like - they shot the thinnest clearcoat in the industry. Chitty paint job - requires a lot to keep it nice.

Jim
skierz (05-20-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all your input everyone. Really appreciate it and very helpful. Sounds like all in all it's a good choice....I'm still a bit hesitant due to the wheel well spatial issues I haul lots of stuff all the time - kitesurfing gear, drums, random large objects)...and I have to say those wells are a concern. Beyond that though, I can't seem to find anything else in the price range and maintenance record like the TSX SW. Now if only VW would buy back my TDI already so I can move on!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my wagon, highly recommend it, mine has been working fine for 60k miles, not a single major problem. Only issue I have had has been with the door actuators always going bad, but that is a general Honda issue they never seem to fix.