cold weather version?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather version?

I bought my TSX back at the beginning of July and haven't had any issues with it, although I'm not sure I'd make the same purchase decision again.

Now that the weather is starting to get colder here in Boston I've noticed a couple things. In the (cold, 20 deg F) mornings the car is slow to turnover, like the battery is on its way out. Also, my washer fluid is frozen.

I was wondering if they had warm and cold weather versions of the car and somehow I got a warm one or if these are just known issues. I thought that different batteries were used in differing parts of the country and whats up with them putting fluid in with no antifreeze? I haven't had a need to fill it so its exactly what Acura put in it.

Anybody in the same situation?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johhn14
I bought my TSX back at the beginning of July and haven't had any issues with it, although I'm not sure I'd make the same purchase decision again.

Now that the weather is starting to get colder here in Boston I've noticed a couple things. In the (cold, 20 deg F) mornings the car is slow to turnover, like the battery is on its way out. Also, my washer fluid is frozen.

I was wondering if they had warm and cold weather versions of the car and somehow I got a warm one or if these are just known issues. I thought that different batteries were used in differing parts of the country and whats up with them putting fluid in with no antifreeze? I haven't had a need to fill it so its exactly what Acura put in it.

Anybody in the same situation?
Those two concerns are enough to make you not want to buy an Acura again? The same battery would be used in all the NA cars. Perhaps you have a bad battery. Shit happens. That is what warrenty is for. As for the windshield washer fluid,I would say the dealer was too cheap to fill the tank up with the proper fluid at the PDI,or the tech was too lazy to get the proper fluid and filled it with water. OR it is empty.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

These are not the only reasons why I would not have bought the TSX. These are of course very minor.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just FYI, the battery in the 1G TSX is pretty weak, so if they used the same one in the 2G, it won't be that great. My 04 sometimes has trouble turning over, especially when it gets cold out, but it's always started (knock on wood). My stock battery will be 5 years old come February, so I'm probably due for replacement. I'm thinking about doing it before winter really sets in.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your windshield washing fluid is freezing, it's most likely because the dealer's fluid mixture has too much H2O in it. If they operate anything like the dealer I used to work at, they get their fluid in a high concentrate drum and add water to it. They're probably just adding too much water to it. If you have it serviced there, I'd complain about it.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Too bad you're disappointed your TSX, but oh well. The consensus here seems to be that the TSX OE battery is not what it should be. Again, oh well. The battery in my 05 was replaced under warranty last year (I didn't have problem, the dealer tested it at the 50K service and decided it was bad; free battery? no argument from me). No problems with the 07 (yes, we have 2. We couldn't find anything that we liked more or worked better for us so we bought another one). The windshield wash thing is not really car specific, just an example of the dealer not paying attention I'd say. Great car, maybe not so great dealer.