Check power steering light came on? What?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check power steering light came on? What?

hey guys, this is my first time on the forum. I have a 2009 tsx, 6spd tech. I bought the car at 185,000km (~115,000mi) and it is currently at 255,000km (159,000mi). The car has been great to me since I owned it and still is. It has been pretty cold in southern Ontario lately and I noticed in the past couple of weeks that the electronic steering at times feels "sticky" when driving. I thought maybe with the cold temperatures and the winter tires, the steering feel has been changed from what I am used to. Fast forward to this morning, I started the car and when I came back to drive it, it says for me to check my power steering system. Like what? I thought these second gens have electronic power steering? My first thought was wait...did the power steering fluid freeze? but then im like wtf that's not possible since it is electronic. So, I drove the car to school and it worked fine but the steering certainly was a lot more stiff than normal. Once parked up I turned off the car and restarted and the light was gone from the dashboard and the notification was gone from the little screen on the speedo. I will check it later again today when I drive home as I have about an hour to drive. Any ideas of what this might be? could it just be the cold temperature (-20 celcius ~ -4F)? Has anyone else in the northern climates experienced something like this? Thanks.

If this has been posted about, please direct me to the right place!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
-4F is not that cold.... BUT maybe there's some ice buildup somewhere or the EPS system is starting to have issues that the cold is making more apparent.

Have it inspected at a competent mechanic or Acura dealer. No way for us to tell the issue.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I get this here and there in really cold weather and when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time. I let the car warn up, shut it off, and then restart and the light disappears and it is fine. I do not recommend driving when the system is having issues, as like you noticed it can be tougher to steer.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I get this here and there in really cold weather and when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time. I let the car warn up, shut it off, and then restart and the light disappears and it is fine. I do not recommend driving when the system is having issues, as like you noticed it can be tougher to steer.
Originally Posted by BROlando
-4F is not that cold.... BUT maybe there's some ice buildup somewhere or the EPS system is starting to have issues that the cold is making more apparent.

Have it inspected at a competent mechanic or Acura dealer. No way for us to tell the issue.

Just wanted to update that the car is all good for now. It was scary let me tell ya, and yeah once I left school later in the day the light has not returned and steering has been fine for now. With the wind chill on that day, the weather was more along the range of -40 degrees Celsius (~ -40F). So thank you both for responding and especially since I clearly am not the only one to have experienced it. Glad it simply requires warming up and restarting the system as opposed to buying an entire EPS module...