Check Oil Level/Oil Pressure Warning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Check Oil Level/Oil Pressure Warning...

So over the last 101,000 miles, in the beginning every once in a while I would hear a chime, something would flash incredibly fast on the dash, and I couldn't make out what it said. As time goes by, this quick flash became more frequent, and eventually stayed on long enough to read what it said. Now it happens anytime the oil level is less than 3/4 between add and full. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, dealership is telling me that fast turns would cause this, but why wouldn't it have always caused this, When the car was newer, by the time I was at an oil change the oil level was definitely more towards the add mark as this engine has always used more oil than I think it should (that's a whole different issue.) anyhow just wondering if anyone else has the same or similar issue. Thanks or any feedback. Trying to get this fixed but no idea where to even tell them to start, they keep saying that I can't compare past vehicles which none have ever had this issue since they don't have the same oil pan and pick up tube.

Sorry for the blurry video.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Happened to me like twice in the entire 3.5 years I've owned my car, also during an aggressive turn. It's just the oil not being level due to the lateral Gs from the hard turn, causing some sort of low oil sensor to trip. If your car is burning oil, then you'll also have less volume of oil in the engine and it will even more likely set off the sensor.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Maybe run 1/4qrt of more oil

Also, check and make sure your oil pan is not dented.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 PM
Racer

The oil pan is fine, nothing is dented. the problem is that i've never had this issue like this before, so My contention is either, the oil pressure sensor is not working entirely correctly, or the oil pump itself is not pulling as much as it used to. Either way the end of my warranty is fast approaching.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by briq456
So over the last 101,000 miles, in the beginning every once in a while I would hear a chime, something would flash incredibly fast on the dash, and I couldn't make out what it said. As time goes by, this quick flash became more frequent, and eventually stayed on long enough to read what it said. Now it happens anytime the oil level is less than 3/4 between add and full. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, dealership is telling me that fast turns would cause this, but why wouldn't it have always caused this, When the car was newer, by the time I was at an oil change the oil level was definitely more towards the add mark as this engine has always used more oil than I think it should (that's a whole different issue.) anyhow just wondering if anyone else has the same or similar issue. Thanks or any feedback. Trying to get this fixed but no idea where to even tell them to start, they keep saying that I can't compare past vehicles which none have ever had this issue since they don't have the same oil pan and pick up tube.

Sorry for the blurry video.
You've had this problem for more than a hundred thousand miles and are just raising the issue now?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Racer

It's been mentioned to the dealer since my third visit. But since back then it was just a flash that I couldn't even make out what it was saying. They say they can't duplicate it. And that there is NOTHING wrong. Then when it was to the point I could read it, I was admid the whole oil consumption test. Which the dealer was saying it's just telling me the oil is low. Come to find out it means the oil pressure is low. Those are two totally different things. Low oil. He oil is low. No big deal. No pressure is serious damage to the engine. So no I didn't wait 100,000 miles.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive Oil Consumption

I experienced this same thing. Generally on aggressive turns, my TSX would generate the low oil pressure light briefly. I noticed that this only occurred a few thousand miles after an oil change, and that the oil levels on the dipstick were low. I would add oil and the problem would go away for a while, then come back once the oil levels dropped. After mentioning this issue to my Acura Dealer on several occasions, I began a series of oil consumption tests with the dealer. After roughly 5 tests, they determined I was burning 1 quart of oil over one thousand miles. The fix for this was rather expensive, but was covered by an extended warranty. I would advise checking your oil levels on a weekly basis, and make sure you have acura oil on hand to top off the car if needed. I wold also advise your acura dealer that you would like an oil consumption test, and search online for "Acura TSX Excessive Oil Consumption." There are ALOT of issues with this, especially in the early 2nd gen TSX's. This is a terrible problem to have. Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:39 AM
Racer

The thing is. They only care about the first quart. In other words the consumption test ends when you burn one quart. After an oil change I usually takes until about 50% life where it really starts burning through oil. I get that oil gets thinner the older it gets. But I still think towards the end of the oil life should matter too. Acura disagrees.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Search for oil consumption and see oil consumption TSB at bottom of first post: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...mation-789358/

I had the repair done on mine.

I went back and forth with the dealership doing the test, passing the test (not using 1qt / 1000 miles) but was very close. Basically 1 qt every 1100 miles. I checked it each morning and when it had been enough miles I drove in with the oil low, asked to speak with the service manager and explained the situation (it's covered by the warranty on the TSB, very close to 1000 miles, gets progressively worse etc etc ... I also wore a suit which I think helps if you want them to take you seriously). They asked for service history/proof so I ordered a carfax and took it to them. The regional rep approved the repair.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
**I really dont want to derail the thread...but...

Does the oil consumption TSB extend to (late)11-14 models now too?

I wonder what the underlying cause of this issue is. Improper break in or something?

Ours goes thru *maybe* 1/8 of a quart in 9.5 - 10K miles. No change on the dipstick ever. And the car now has like 75 or 80K on it.

Some people burn a ton. Some don't. So I guess it could be a case of manufacturing tolerance stackups in certain cases. Or maybe assembly line issues too.

Last edited by BROlando; 04-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Racer

My whole problem is that tsb to update the vtc software timing came out when my car had 32,000 miles on it. I live in jersey I leave my house and in a block merge into a 50 mph road. I did this every morning. For 32,000 miles. The exact circumstances they say cause deposits. The only thing in the tsb I did not do is use low quality fuel.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
**I really dont want to derail the thread...but...

Does the oil consumption TSB extend to (late)11-14 models now too?

I wonder what the underlying cause of this issue is. Improper break in or something?

Ours goes thru *maybe* 1/8 of a quart in 9.5 - 10K miles. No change on the dipstick ever. And the car now has like 75 or 80K on it.

Some people burn a ton. Some don't. So I guess it could be a case of manufacturing tolerance stackups in certain cases. Or maybe assembly line issues too.
I think break in is part of it. I bought mine with 72xxx miles, did a break in procedure after the rebuild. No oil burning with about 30,000 miles after the rebuild.

Jsut my
Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Racer

Wrong on the Break-in, I never floored it, didn't do one set speed on the highway and I did it for 1K even though the manual said 600 miles. I left the original oil in until the maintenance minder was down to 5%. The problem is that there was a TSB:
POSSIBLE CAUSES

Under certain specific circumstances the engine may create deposits on the oil control rings, which may lead to increased oil consumption when all of the following conditions occur simultaneously on a regular and prolonged basis:
  • The engine is cold (not warmed up to operating temperature)
  • Hard acceleration while the engine is cold
  • The fuel used has an unusually high concentration of particles - Acura recommends using Top Tier Gas that contains detergents to prevent deposits. For more information about Top Tier gas, go to Home | Top Tier Gas.

All these conditions happening at the same time is rare, but if they do, deposits may form over years of driving. If the oil control rings begin to stick because of the deposits, the client may subsequently complain about excessive oil consumption.
Now the problem is that I didn't get this TSB to update the software until I already had 32,000 miles on it, I live in New Jersey where I live, I start my car and drive two streets and then pull out on the highway that the speed limit is 50 so everyone is usually doing 60. this was every morning to work and then home from work. and I go to work two times a day. Imporoper break in had nothing to do with it.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I start my car and drive two streets and then pull out on the highway that the speed limit is 50 so everyone is usually doing 60. this was every morning to work and then home from work. and I go to work two times a day. Imporoper break in had nothing to do with it.
Is the engine at normal operating temperature by the time you enter the freeway and hit 60 MPH? With NJ winters, do you wait a bit longer with the engine idling before hitting freeway speeds?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Racer

No and neither was my 1993 Accord which never burned more than half a quart beteeen 7,500 mile oil changes. And that car had 364,000 miles on it. I only have 103,000 on this car and it's been going through a quart in the first 1,800 miles and then it gets progressively worse. To around a quart every 800 miles by the time the oil life is at 40%. It's because there are deposits from driving with the timing off for 30,000 miles before I knew there was an issue. Although I just looked at that tsb and realized I have another year of warranty on the rings so hopefully it gets bad enough that they will do the repair before the time runs out.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

I never wait for cars to warm up.

BUT...I did once burn myself on some pizza because I ate pizza before it was cool.

My claims to fame aside, neither myself nor my lady wait for cars to warm up. We also live fairly close to a 50mph road (on which I drive 70mph)....and I work literally off of a highway.

Her car sees a lot of short trips now a days. I think we are at pace for something like 2K miles a year on her wagon.

Maybe the quality of gas is the missing element. I am pretty sure we both usually use Shell.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Quick flashing warning.

Sounds like I'm having the same issue with my 2010 with 125k. About 4 months ago I got a check oil warning. It was right before inspection so I got my oil changed. They also changed gasket. Yesterday I got the quick flashing of a warning which I couldn't make out but then got the check oil light again. This morning I checked the levels and it was around the first dot. I added about half a quart. I will take it in Wednesday and see if I'm leaking oil or I'm just burning oil as the car gets older. The car has given me zero issues and rides great. I'm looking to buy next spring and really want to get another 8-10 months out of the car.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Sounds like I'm having the same issue with my 2010 with 125k. About 4 months ago I got a check oil warning. It was right before inspection so I got my oil changed. They also changed gasket. Yesterday I got the quick flashing of a warning which I couldn't make out but then got the check oil light again. This morning I checked the levels and it was around the first dot. I added about half a quart. I will take it in Wednesday and see if I'm leaking oil or I'm just burning oil as the car gets older. The car has given me zero issues and rides great. I'm looking to buy next spring and really want to get another 8-10 months out of the car.
I doubt its leaking unless someone left something loose. If its leaking, it would probably be a good idea to fix it.

If its not leaking...then just remember to check the oil often. Add as needed.

Actually....one should periodically check the oil (parked on a level surface) in any case.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2012 6MT with summer tires. When I throw the car into a corner at low RPM, I occasionally get this warning. It usually means I'm 1/2 quart low. Car uses 1/2 quart for initial 2000 miles after oil change and goes up from there. Worst case has been 3/4 quart for 1500 miles when at 30% oil life left. It's just a sensor and at low RPM with low oil pressure, a sharp turn will set off the alert when down 1/2 quart. No biggie. Just reminds me to check the oil level. My 2 cents....
Old 07-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2012 6MT with summer tires. When I throw the car into a corner at low RPM, I occasionally get this warning. It usually means I'm 1/2 quart low. Car uses 1/2 quart for initial 2000 miles after oil change and goes up from there. Worst case has been 3/4 quart for 1500 miles when at 30% oil life left. It's just a sensor and at low RPM with low oil pressure, a sharp turn will set off the alert when down 1/2 quart. No biggie. Just reminds me to check the oil level. My 2 cents....
Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Racer

I was told by the head mechanic at my dealership that our vehicles do not have an oil level sensor, so when that light is on, it's telling you the oil pressure is low. Which means in sharp turns with 1/2 a quart of oil used, you are starving your vehicle of oil for the time that light is on. Probably not good.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

I was told by the head mechanic at my dealership that our vehicles do not have an oil level sensor, so when that light is on, it's telling you the oil pressure is low. Which means in sharp turns with 1/2 a quart of oil used, you are starving your vehicle of oil for the time that light is on. Probably not good.
It has an oil level light and an oil pressure light. Two separate lights.