Chassis vibration while accelerating

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Chassis vibration while accelerating

I have a 2012 TSX Wagon with almost 55,000 miles on it. When I accelerate briskly -- no VTEC, maybe starting at 3000 rpm -- I notice vibration in the chassis, front tires, and just a little in the steering wheel. Yet, when cruising at 60, 70, 80 mph, all is fine.

Any ideas? I ruled out the tires -- the vibration happens with winter tires on as well as all season tires.

I also noticed an occasional odd ping noise from the front right. It sounds metallic, and happens when I'm driving over bumpy roads at 40 mph. The Acura service tech checked the suspension (looked fine) and did a test drive, but could not reproduce the noise. Bringing it in again soon because the vibration is easily reproducible. Until then, I was hoping someone can shed some light on this. Would bad motor mounts be a possibility?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Motor mounts is my guess
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (06-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Motor mounts is my guess
I'm afraid that may be the case. But the car just seems too young to have failing motor mounts.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Because you feel the vibration only on acceleration I can almost guarantee it's the axles. I had the same symptoms, with no sign of wear to the boots.

Replaced mine with factory remans, and everything is butter smooth now. I replaced mine at like 120K miles though. 55k is pretty early for axle failure, but the 1st gen TSX had issues with axles right around the same mileage, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, you can see your motor mounts by opening your hood, you'll be able to quickly see if they are cracked or not and rule that out.
2012wagon (06-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like Axles also. Mine went out at around 55k also. I got it through the dealership for around 1000 to get it replaced. I had the same issue where it would only vibrate during acceleration from 20-35. Later, the vibration occurred 50+ only on acceleration.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Axle, replaced mine @55k too.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 AM
ROTAREDOM

Also, don't let them convince you to buy a new half shaft, you won't need it. Just get factory remans, and make sure you have the latest revision of the parts.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. My wife took the wagon to the dealer and got a mechanic to do a test drive with her. Vibration and pinging noise were reproduced!

Two possibilities: the tire and a very small tear in the suspension arm bushing.

The techs noticed the bead on the front passenger tire wasn't in proper alignment. They rotated the tire to the rear, but a test drive revealed the vibration was still there (can be felt in steering wheel and pedal when accelerating). Also, I felt the vibration when I had winter wheels and tires on, so I doubted it was the tire.

The tear was very small and they recommended replacing the tire first. I am going with the bushings because I found this thread about a 2004 TL having a similar problem:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...d-look-707888/

The tear was bigger on that TL though. Replacing the left and right bushings will cost a total of $590 for parts and labor. Not sure about motor mounts, but I think that's less than replacing the axles.

Does this sound right to you guys? Any one experience vibrations from torn bushings? This seems to be a common problem with Acuras with double wishbones.

I'll post an update when the job is done (Monday).
Old 05-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Axles caused me same symptoms, and only on acceleration......

Replaced with aftermarket, got a defective one ( only me, LOL ) and after THAT one was replaced, smooth sailin' .

Bushings ? Dunno about that, but I hope it's fixes your problem....Good Luck !

Mike
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
Thanks everyone. My wife took the wagon to the dealer and got a mechanic to do a test drive with her. Vibration and pinging noise were reproduced!

Two possibilities: the tire and a very small tear in the suspension arm bushing.

The techs noticed the bead on the front passenger tire wasn't in proper alignment. They rotated the tire to the rear, but a test drive revealed the vibration was still there (can be felt in steering wheel and pedal when accelerating). Also, I felt the vibration when I had winter wheels and tires on, so I doubted it was the tire.

The tear was very small and they recommended replacing the tire first. I am going with the bushings because I found this thread about a 2004 TL having a similar problem:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...d-look-707888/

The tear was bigger on that TL though. Replacing the left and right bushings will cost a total of $590 for parts and labor. Not sure about motor mounts, but I think that's less than replacing the axles.

Does this sound right to you guys? Any one experience vibrations from torn bushings? This seems to be a common problem with Acuras with double wishbones.

I'll post an update when the job is done (Monday).
No, honestly I think you're wasting you're money. (again, only my opinion) but your first instinct and post about only feeling it while accelerating is a big indication that it's axles. Do you feel vibration when turning vigorously, or at cruising speeds?-- If the answer is no, then this shifts the problem away from being a suspension problem.

If you haven't already made up your mind you should really try and drive it one more time and figure out EXACTLY when you're experiencing the problem. It can really save you some money in the end by self diagnosing and having the techs replace the ACTUAL problem parts rather than having them guess as to what they think is wrong. (don't get me wrong, sometimes they are dead on with diagnosis), but you're the one that drives this car everyday, you know what it feels like better than they do.

WheelMcCoy (05-24-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
No, honestly I think you're wasting you're money. (again, only my opinion) but your first instinct and post about only feeling it while accelerating is a big indication that it's axles. Do you feel vibration when turning vigorously, or at cruising speeds?-- If the answer is no, then this shifts the problem away from being a suspension problem.

If you haven't already made up your mind you should really try and drive it one more time and figure out EXACTLY when you're experiencing the problem. It can really save you some money in the end by self diagnosing and having the techs replace the ACTUAL problem parts rather than having them guess as to what they think is wrong. (don't get me wrong, sometimes they are dead on with diagnosis), but you're the one that drives this car everyday, you know what it feels like better than they do.

Hmmm... making me think twice. I'm not sure how deeply they looked, but they dismissed motor mounts and axles. For motor mounts, I checked them myself by watching the engine move while my wife engaged the brakes and the gas. It shouldn't jump more than an inch -- more would indicate failing motor mounts.

Is there a way for me to check the axles?

Sigh. It could be multiple problems. Vibration is most noticeable on brisk acceleration. Pinging noise likely from torn bushing. It's mostly smooth while cruising, and any vibration could be due to the tire bead (which is what they suspect most).
Old 05-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
But if there truly is a tear in the bushing, wouldn't it make sense to get those replaced now, perhaps in conjunction with the axles?

An once of prevention as they say?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

It was the axles!

@ssjoeboe9 wins a cigar!

Although initially the techs dismissed axles / driveshafts, they found it to be the problem. Good thing I said no to replacing a suspect tire -- tires from dealers are costly. One pleasant surprise was the axles were still under warranty much to my relief.

@cu2wagon - yes, I had them replace both front bushings for $590.

Techs also recommended a front wheel alignment (said yes) and recommended replacing the front brake pads. The brakes were "yellow" on our previous visit and we declined then. This time, we said yes.

So now the wagon accelerates and drives smoothly again. But to have the drive shafts go bad (it had leaky seals too) at a young mileage of 55k surprises me. This is also a 2nd gen TSX, so I figured most of the design flaws were worked out. And no, we don't take our wagon off road. Any ideas what might cause premature axle wear?
ssjoeboe9 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM

awesome, problem solved. That always feels good.

You should celebrate by picking up an exhaust for it: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-wagon-945220/
Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 AM
ROTAREDOM

Glad to hear you got the problem fixed... Don't worry about the $600, cause if the axles werent under warranty then you would have had to pay about that much to replace them. Now you don't have to worry about the bushings either.

As far as the axles go, and premature wear.. I can tell you that the CU2 was one of the first vehicles to get that part number in the honda line-up (they are honda parts, not exclusive to Acura) and since have gone through 3 revisions. Now that you have the most up to date parts it should be smooth sailing for you!
WheelMcCoy (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
awesome, problem solved. That always feels good.

You should celebrate by picking up an exhaust for it: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-wagon-945220/
Heh heh... the wagon is mostly driven by wife; she *might* appreciate an improved exhaust note. Does it add a little extra HP too? I've read I should upgrade both intake and exhaust for best performance.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Glad to hear you got the problem fixed... Don't worry about the $600, cause if the axles werent under warranty then you would have had to pay about that much to replace them. Now you don't have to worry about the bushings either.

As far as the axles go, and premature wear.. I can tell you that the CU2 was one of the first vehicles to get that part number in the honda line-up (they are honda parts, not exclusive to Acura) and since have gone through 3 revisions. Now that you have the most up to date parts it should be smooth sailing for you!
About the revised parts, that's reassuring to know!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 AM

Heh heh... the wagon is mostly driven by wife; she *might* appreciate an improved exhaust note. Does it add a little extra HP too? I've read I should upgrade both intake and exhaust for best performance.
They're *claiming* it should add a little bit of power (based on other exhaust's they've made). I'd be lying if I say I expect it to be anything significant.

Also, I don't know for sure, but I though the OGs have said the OEM intake is pretty well optimized already.

Most of the gainz from an exhaust would be from the minute reduction in flow restriction. But mostly for soundz.

You should surprise the wife. You should order it now.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmm I wonder if my axels are affected too. I have a slight vibration when accelerating from ~65-75 mph. I just had new tires added about 1000 miles ago and thought that caused it, but I had them rebalanced and the tire guy said they were in balance. I also got an alignment and that checked out too. I'm at 65k miles so I better get it checked at the dealer while its still under warranty.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
Hmm I wonder if my axels are affected too. I have a slight vibration when accelerating from ~65-75 mph.
The vibration for me started out slight, and got worse over time. It always happened under brisk acceleration, regardless of the speed. That is, going from 0-20 mph or from 40 to 60 mph always caused vibrations.

And brisk is the operative word here. No need to hit v-tec, but put in sport mode and take it to 3000+ rpm.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Instructor

took my car in to th dealer today. After diagnosing, the service advisor said yup, it was the axels. He said he would replace the right side axel first since it is easily ordered, but that the left side axel was on back order. I hope they deem the left side axel needing replacement before my warranty runs out.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 AM
ROTAREDOM

As long as it's on file that you had the problem before warranty ended they should honor it.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
After lowering my 2010 v6 on Tein Sa coilovers I had a slight vibration at 40kmh so I decided to take it in for a inspection before my warranty runs out and mentioned the vibration since I'm still within the warranty,they didn't even take the lowering in consideration and they concluded that both cv shafts had some play in them so they scheduled me an appointment to replace them looks like I got lucky : )
Old 06-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
took my car in to th dealer today. After diagnosing, the service advisor said yup, it was the axels. He said he would replace the right side axel first since it is easily ordered, but that the left side axel was on back order. I hope they deem the left side axel needing replacement before my warranty runs out.
Good to know and glad you found it in time. Although I don't mean that it's good that it happened to you.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
@ssjoeboe9 wins a cigar!

Although initially the techs dismissed axles / driveshafts, they found it to be the problem. Good thing I said no to replacing a suspect tire -- tires from dealers are costly. One pleasant surprise was the axles were still under warranty much to my relief.

@cu2wagon - yes, I had them replace both front bushings for $590.

Techs also recommended a front wheel alignment (said yes) and recommended replacing the front brake pads. The brakes were "yellow" on our previous visit and we declined then. This time, we said yes.

So now the wagon accelerates and drives smoothly again. But to have the drive shafts go bad (it had leaky seals too) at a young mileage of 55k surprises me. This is also a 2nd gen TSX, so I figured most of the design flaws were worked out. And no, we don't take our wagon off road. Any ideas what might cause premature axle wear?
There has been quite a few axle replacements at early age on the 2G TSX. I used to be surprised as it happened on this forum to local guys with around 50K miles. None of my previous did that. Then it happened to my wagon. Thanks to CPO. Their bill is up to $6350 so far.

My local dealer matches TireRack prices. I just installed 4 new OEM Michelins. I showed them tire rack prices, and they matched it.

Glad you got your wagon issues sorted.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Instructor

just got the car back yesterday, they replaced both axles, although they ordered the right side first and replaced, still vibrated, so they ordered the left side (a bit longer wait for it to arrive) and replaced it. i havent had a chance to test drive it to see if the vibration is gone since it's my wifes daily driver, so i'll see this weekend. total time at the dealer for the (warranty covered) work was 2 weeks total. we had a TLX v6 tech as a loaner. much thanks to this thread for the advice!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
There has been quite a few axle replacements at early age on the 2G TSX. I used to be surprised as it happened on this forum to local guys with around 50K miles. None of my previous did that. Then it happened to my wagon. Thanks to CPO. Their bill is up to $6350 so far.

My local dealer matches TireRack prices. I just installed 4 new OEM Michelins. I showed them tire rack prices, and they matched it.

Glad you got your wagon issues sorted.
They match TireRack pricing because they get them from TireRack. They get better pricing than we do but they get them at the same place.
2012wagon (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
They match TireRack pricing because they get them from TireRack. They get better pricing than we do but they get them at the same place.
Well as long as the price is matched, its a deal for me. i can't get the "better pricing" from TR direct, so I am happy

Since the Michelins all originate somewhere, regardless of where I purchase them.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Well as long as the price is matched, its a deal for me. i can't get the "better pricing" from TR direct, so I am happy

Since the Michelins all originate somewhere, regardless of where I purchase them.
Absolutely.