Buying 2009 TSX Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying 2009 TSX Advice

Hello all,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I am currently in the talks with a private seller on a 6MT 2009 Acura TSX base with close to 130,000 miles on the odometer. He is the 2nd owner of the vehicle. The first owner was on a 3 year lease which was later bought out on a CPO. It was later traded in at a Mazda dealership at which the current 2nd owner bought it. According to CarFax, all maintenance, required or not required, up to 100k miles was fulfilled at an authorized Acura dealer. Since buying the car two years ago at 107k miles, the current owner has done all the oil changes himself with Mobil 1 synthetic. A the moment, the only thing the car needs is a fresh set of tires which I plan on going with the Continental DWS06 if all checks out. The final agreed on price is $7350. On a side note, I am located in Central NJ. I am aware of the oil consumption issues with the 2009-2010 models, are there anything else I should look into? What is the potential lifespan of the K24 motor? I am coming off of an EG civic with a B-series motor that treated me extremely well. What do you guys think about this deal? Obviously I am not expecting anyone to tell me if its worth it or not because at the end of the day, that is really up to me but if any of you were in my position, do you think you would hop on the deal?

Thanks for all the help and replies in advance!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
life span of the k24!?!?!
it's a Honda!!!!! change the oil and go!!!!! it will last forever with basic oil changes....
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
life span of the k24!?!?!
it's a Honda!!!!! change the oil and go!!!!! it will last forever with basic oil changes....
LOL fair enough, pretty much the same deal as my old civic I suppose. Just slightly wary due to this being my first real car purchase and it being well into 100k mile territory.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

other things will go out WAAAAAY before the engine does...
you also sound like you did your due diligence with this vehicle, looking at the carfax and keeping up with 2nd owner.

seriously, the clutch might go bad before the engine does...
the clutch is a wear and tear item and depending on how previous people drove it will determine how long it has left...
I bought a 6MT TL at 31k miles and at 35k miles had to change the clutch...
also, a friend performed the money-shift...going from 4th to 2nd and blowing up my engine... I bought one from a junk yard and threw it into the car...alll it needed was an oil change and the engine acts the same as the original one

so, no worries about the engine...they are Honda's!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At that mileage you should make sure the previous owner went through the oil consumption TSB. My TSX had to get the TSB done at 72k miles, and since the one you're looking at is 2009, you should seriously consider getting it checked out. It can start happening at any time. The K24Z3 engine is reliable. In fact my TSX has been starting to have issues at 82K miles now but I feel like the engine is still in near perfect condition despite running out of oil twice caused by the oil consumption issue.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's covered by dealer if there is an issue (oil consumption). I wouldn't worry bout it. I'd hop on that deal... Most parts interchangeable with accord so cost is pretty cheap. Tsx upgraded to an electronic steering pump so, we don't get that annoying whining. There's really no downside. I do wish I found my car in manual tho, but still no regrets.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:28 PM
5th Gear

Happy to report back that I bought the car about two weeks ago! Other than some little cosmetic defects, the car drives great! There is VTC grind upon cold start though and an interior rattle that bugs me....
justnspace (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
In for photos!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM

awesome!! welcome to the family
Old 02-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice! Congrats on your new TSX! The interior rattle is a pain to deal with. I've considered using foam or something to make it more quiet.
​​​​
Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Watch out for the thin paint, terribly wearing brakes, and oil usage.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Issues

Inner cv joint / driveshaft , main crank pulley oil seal, j pipe failure(flex pipe )
Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, welcome. I just got my 09 too(in november). According to previous owner he had oil consumption test done and no oil usage was found. I;ve put just over 4k miles on it and took it for oil consumption test, they started the process. Was a bit worried because the extender warranty covers until vehicle is 8 years old or 125k miles, whichever comes first, but if you be cool with service adviser I'm sure they will be cool with you. I'd start with that before it's too late. As far as other issues, left roof molding went loose, replaced it. Seat creaking noise is getting used to, but I mostly drive alone. Also had to replace drive axle(hey just like old CL9). As far as anything else, everything seems to be fine, that's the reason we buy these cars. You got good deal on yours. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM
5th Gear

Hey guys, it has been almost two months of ownership so I thought I would finally update everyone. So far so good! There is an interior rattle over certain bumps that I still fail at locating. Also, on start up, there is VTC grind which is annoying at best. Over my spring break, I clay barred and waxed the car as well as removing my front bumper to install a new OEM grille (last one was bubbling and there was a hideous paint chip) as well as plastidipping it, driver side foglight replacement due to cracked glass and LaminX foglight covers. During that process, I discovered that the clear coat on my front bumper is starting to deteriorate. I've also been monitoring oil consumption and it seems to be moderate according to the dipstick.

Next on the list of things to fix is to replace the shift boot as there is a slight tear by the collar, probably a Raceseng Slammer shift knob in the process. In addition, the large center storage area as well as my "coin holder" tray doors are not latching shut so I will need to find a solution for that. Lastly, when school lets out for the semester, I'll probably replace the transmission fluid with GM Friction Modified Synchomesh as well as replacing all four tires (thinking Continental DWS) and brake pads.

Attached are a couple updated pictures of the car with the grille, foglight replacement and LaminX. The NorthEast saw some snow the past week so I figured it would give me a good opportunity to drive back to school for a little photoshoot!

julius071 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Congrats!