Burning Oil - Oil Consumption Test - Dealer Suggestion

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicosito
I had this issue when I purchased my 2009 TSX manual. I didn't expect a newer car to consume oil, but my Acura did. It consumed a quart every 3k miles. I called the dealer and they told me I had to do a software update to fix the problem. I did the tsb engine reflash that Acura came out to fix the problem and it hasn't consumed oil since.

Only problem I have, is that with the software update, it made my car noticeably slower on the lower rpm range between 1k to 3.5k. I first noticed this the first fifteen minutes of driving my car back home when the dealer returned it to me from installing the update. I was perplexed by the fact that I had to give it more gas to accelerate the way it did prior to the update. It still has the same kick at higher rpms, but I hate having to accelerate at higher rpms to get the same amount of torque that it had prior to the reflash. Called the dealer back to let them know that I wasn't happy with the change in power, but the service manager said that it shouldn't be noticeable. I asked if they can reflash it to the prior software and they said no.

Long story short, this is the one thing I wish I did not do to my tsx. I don't mind adding a quart of oil to keep the power I had before. I was used to adding oil all the time in my prior bmw's. One of the major reasons I bought my Acura, was for the amount of power it had. Now it feels sluggish and I'm quit irritated by this.

Have any other fellow tsx members done this update to their 6mt, and notice a difference in power?
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a new car. And whoever buys your 09 won't know the difference, but trust me, they wouldn't be thrilled by one quart of oil every 3K miles appetite.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
This is the first I have heard about the TSX consuming oil. Mine is fine. My A4, on the other hand, needed a quart every 2k miles. That's a really common thing among the 2.0Ts, though.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 09 with 98k miles is using about half a quart every 4k miles.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by kurtatx
This is the first I have heard about the TSX consuming oil. Mine is fine. My A4, on the other hand, needed a quart every 2k miles. That's a really common thing among the 2.0Ts, though.
I don't believe that anyone really knows the extent of the problem (if there is one). We've had a few oil burners reported here, though mainly Canadian cars. Plus, who really knows how common (or uncommon) the phenomenon (excess oil usage) is in all cars? I mean no one ever advertises it. There have to be a few, of every brand and model, right? All I know is that if it was a big problem, the lamestream media would be all over it, and . . . having (and had) two TSX's with very high mileage, and virtually no oil useage, I'm suspect about it really being much of an issue. And just because there's a TSB on it (very different from a recall), that doesn't mean that it's a widespread thing.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by magicfan3
Just spoke with a service advisor here in Gainesville, he said piston rings wouldn't have been covered under warranty, anyway. He said that falls under the "wear and tear" category. Also suggested just getting a new short block as replacing the rings would be labor intensive, or just trading in the car, which I have thought about, the new tlx with SH-AWD caught my eye, though I haven't heard that it will have a manual transmission yet. However, my car was purchased in Sanford, FL and I believe I purchased the extended warranty down there. So I will be making a call down there as I tried to have them take a look at this issue at the start of this year.
Hope this is helpful

Name:  2014-03-08230347.jpg
Views: 3894
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  2014-03-08230406.jpg
Views: 3969
Size:  114.2 KB
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Slade037
Hope this is helpful

Good deal; a like new motor for free. I'd still be buying a new car though . . .
The following users liked this post:
09RLAcuraBurnsOilBadly (03-18-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I don't believe that anyone really knows the extent of the problem (if there is one). We've had a few oil burners reported here, though mainly Canadian cars. Plus, who really knows how common (or uncommon) the phenomenon (excess oil usage) is in all cars? I mean no one ever advertises it. There have to be a few, of every brand and model, right? All I know is that if it was a big problem, the lamestream media would be all over it, and . . . having (and had) two TSX's with very high mileage, and virtually no oil useage, I'm suspect about it really being much of an issue. And just because there's a TSB on it (very different from a recall), that doesn't mean that it's a widespread thing.
The four rings turbos consume oil. Audi's official stance is one quart per 1000 miles is acceptable... That's not acceptable.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this thread really came alive. Just wanted to give an update.. The dealer called me back and will be taking the car in for repairs next week, it will be covered under warranty. I will keep you updated with the fixes they perform and the results after.

Thanks again !
Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 RL Burns a quort of oil every 1000 miles

2009 Acura RD has been burning oil since less than 50 K miles.
Oil light coming on around turns even though oil service was 70% or better.
At first they just topped oil level off (maybe service tech didn't fill completely), then began checking oil light (oil light problem happens all the time), then began offering to change oil in between service intervals (not sure why but we will change it and see). This over months.
At 70 K miles I was fed up and began to complain to service manager.
Complaints to service manager resulted in "do oil consumption test" even though they were only ones to service oil and could see levels and mileage and verified issue.
After 3 or 4 tests over many months they contacted Acura who they claim said this is NORMAL??
Was told any further diagnostics are at my expense.
I quote from E mail from Dealer below:

"Here is the information that you requested, according to tech line, they say that a quart to a quart and half every 1000 miles is acceptable, and to continue with more diagnostics would be at owners expense. Our case number with Acura Tech Line XXXXXXX, tech at Acura-Melvin K."

Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 AM
3rd Gear

NOTE COMMENT FROM SERVICE TECH (from Priority Acura Chesapeake VA)

"A QUART TO A QUART AND ONE HALF OF OIL CONSUMPTION EVERY 1000 MILES IS ACCEPTABLE!!!"

WTF ACURA?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09RLAcuraBurnsOilBadly

"A QUART TO A QUART AND ONE HALF OF OIL CONSUMPTION EVERY 1000 MILES IS ACCEPTABLE!!!"

WTF ACURA?
i got the same thing, I said great thats the same as my 1974 Volvo got. All car companies play these games.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a '12 6MT, coming up on 18K miles. I seem to use about a quart every 3-4K miles. I drive the car pretty gently typically. I don't even bother taking it in because I know that until I'm over a quart per 1k miles, they'll tell me I'm within the acceptable range.

I've noticed though that when I pull into my garage after driving, my car kind of smells like oil. I don't see anything under the hood, and there's no puddle under my car or anything. Anyone know what that might mean?

I'm in US, not Canada, I mention it because Simba mentioned a Canadian trend.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 09RLAcuraBurnsOilBadly

WTF ACURA?
I responded with, "If my car is out of oil before it is time for an oil change that is recommended by YOUR car, that is not acceptable."

After a couple of oil consumption tests, they did something about it. My car hit the low oil mark after driving around 4k-5k worth of miles.

So around my 3rd oil consumption test. If you do them, make sure they don't change the oil between tests.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

Originally Posted by BlackTSX6MT
I'm also having the same issue. I have 09 TSX 6MT with 99,000 miles and I've been noticing that I get "Low Oil" indicator light instantly coming up when I make sharp turns, sudden braking, or going up hill. It starts at about 60-70% oil life. The indicator light comes up more frequently as I put more mileage after the oil change which probably means the oil is getting lower and lower.

I've also noticed a rattling noise during cold start up recently. I thought I got this taken care of when the dealer replaced the VTC actuator (TSB 10-024). It's only been about a year since I got this replaced. Can the low oil be associated with this rattling noise at cold start up?
I could have written this word for word except mine started at 75k miles. They have given me the boot about fixing under warranty, and suggested I trade car in. Can you tell me what ever happened with your situation? I'm having the exact issue and trying to figure out what to do. It's good to hear I'm not the only one. This has had me upset because I am a stickler about maintenance and can't believe this is a problem. I now have 100k miles and need to solve my problem. How did you handle this eventually. Did you ever find warranty information? I would really appreciate your response!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Rms123
I could have written this word for word except mine started at 75k miles. They have given me the boot about fixing under warranty, and suggested I trade car in. Can you tell me what ever happened with your situation? I'm having the exact issue and trying to figure out what to do. It's good to hear I'm not the only one. This has had me upset because I am a stickler about maintenance and can't believe this is a problem. I now have 100k miles and need to solve my problem. How did you handle this eventually. Did you ever find warranty information? I would really appreciate your response!
Hey hope you are well. I had this issue happen to my car at 75,000km, the warranty was until 80,000km. I had to check in with the dealership a few times, did the oil consumption test and they were given approval to do the work. Took 3 weeks. Acura also extended my warranty to 160,000km/7years. The work was done during the original warranty though. You'll ahve to harass them since you're over the warranty period. They should be aware this is a problem on the 6MTs.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rms123
Will be glad to help. As my previous post indicates, I started noticing the burning oil issue after my warranty expired. Just like you, my only option was:
1. Get a new car
2. Spend $2000 - $3000 for the dealer to do oil consumption test and replace the piston rings in accordance with TSB 13-006: 2009–10 TSX (Sticking Rings Resulting in Unusually High Engine Oil Consumption).
3. Keep adding oil (my least favorite option since I don't even do my own oil change).

The dealer strongly refused to fix this under good will so I decided to write a detailed complaint letter to Acura Clients Service. I specifically pointed out the all issues I had with my car and asked them if they can assist with fixing the oil consumption issue. I also told them me and my family are all Acura owners and were expecting a reliable car but were dissapointed with all the issues on the 2009 TSX. Few months letter, a rep from Acura Clients called me and apologized and said they were willing to help. They asked me to perform the oil consumption test by the dealer as a confirmation. I immediately scheduled an appointment with the dealer and left the car for about 2 days. The dealer confirmed that the car had oil consumption issue and they forwarded the report to Acura Clients Service. Acura Clients Service called me back few days later and apologized and offered to pay for all of the service (including parts)!!! Obviously, I got the TSB 13-006 done without paying a dime! I left my car at the dealer for about 3 weeks but luckily, the dealer gave me a loaner's car (TSX Wagon) during that period.

Now, my car is at 140,000 miles and no sign of any oil consumption. Maybe it'll come back in the future but my car is running like new. I think it also helps if you use oil with higher viscosity.

As for the rattling noise, I got the VTC actuator replaced twice. It occasionally makes the noise again at cold startup during winter or on humid day but not as extreme as it used to. I learned to just live with it.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by BlackTSX6MT; 08-20-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm at 73K now and noticing the oil light coming on quite often in corners with not much time between oil change and the light coming on, I've started to document now. My approach to getting this fixed under warranty is that I was told of a software programming issue that can cause deposits on the oil control rings, I believe I had approximately 30,000 miles or so on the car when this notice came out and I had the software updated per the recall.. So In my head, that should extend the 70K drivetrain warranty by 30K... since I had already done the damage that the recall was supposed to fix. (2010 6-speed here) Then there is a TSB specifically for oil consumption which seems to me Acura knows of the situation. Let's hope my dealer will do it's best to push this through because the problem is definitely starting to become worse. I do have the extended acura care warranty but there is a specific not covered section that states, any repair to increase compression or reduce oil/fuel consumption is NOT covered. Should be interesting.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear

Update on a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal BS

Update on my 2009 RL and the "one quart per 1000 miles of oil consumption is NORMAL"
After getting fed up with the dealers excuses that lasted since I brought the problem up at 40,000 miles, I got a compression test done.
The dealer found low compression in cylinder 6 - did a bore inspection, and then said they couldn't find anything but if I was willing to pay they would pull the head.
I told them YES - they pulled the head and found ring failure, metal and scoring inside the cylinder.
I had their engine guaranteed for life warrantee. They went to Acura, accused me of using regular gas instead of premium, accused me of not having all my service work done at their dealer (disproved after they checked all their records) and accused me of letting the oil level get low. Then told me they would install a new short block and all I had to do was pay $2500...Acura and the dealer warrantee would cover the rest.
Since the problem was getting worse, I agreed to have the work done, and so far no issues.
I am going to write Acura to tell them of my displeasure in having to pay anything for this repair that first started while the car was under warranty. We will see how far I get...
If you have this problem document it and fight it out.
A quart of oil every 1000 miles is NOT normal.
Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (09-16-2014)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is using a quart every 500 miles and the dealer is giving the run around, I've owned Acuras for 20 years, I meticulously maintain them, premium gas, sythentic oil, premium filter and they still blamed me. It turns out there's a TSB on this whole thing (TSB-006) but I can't find out if anyone has successfully got the dealer to cover the repairs.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Sandy
Mine is using a quart every 500 miles and the dealer is giving the run around, I've owned Acuras for 20 years, I meticulously maintain them, premium gas, sythentic oil, premium filter and they still blamed me. It turns out there's a TSB on this whole thing (TSB-006) but I can't find out if anyone has successfully got the dealer to cover the repairs.
I have and others have. If you are burning 1qt/500 miles then you have exceeded the threshold of 1qt/1000 miles. If you go to the dealer, they should start an oil consumption test. You will likely pay them for an oil change, they will mark and tape off the drain bolt, you will return in 1,000 miles and they will measure (using the dipstick) the amount of oil that has been consumed.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2011 TSX hit 72k miles the other day and I've gone through the oil consumption test. When I first started noticing something with the oil, it was when I took a sharp turn and the "check oil level" warning showed up in the MID display, but only for half a second. After that, every time I took a sharp turn the warning would show up. So I took it in to the dealership, and they checked the oil level, and the guy said "ok, you have NO oil left." Which freaked me out a lot. So they filled up the oil and told me to come back after a thousand miles. I had to do this 3 times, so after all that, they said that my consumption was normal. None of it made any sense to me, because my either my oil disappeared the first time, or someone forgot to add oil to my car after an oil change.