Brake pop/click feel in the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Brake pop/click feel in the brake pedal

2012 - 47xxx miles. Replaced the front rotors/pads and brake fluid over 8 months ago. Akebono pads + centric rotors. Replaced the rear pads/rotors 3 months ago. All pins, shims, etc cleaned and lubed. All fine (actually much better in the rear) until now. For the past few days I have noticed a "pop" or "Click" feeling/noise in the brake pedal upon braking for the first 1/8" of the pedal. Braking performance is fantastic and there is no pulling/shaking/fading after that.

At first I was just hoping it was a pad moving around due to some rust/dirt but it has not gone away. Here some more info:

- Problem happens mostly under 20mph, but occasioanlly can be felt at any speed.
- Under 20mph it happens every time

- There is a pop feel as if it is sticking somewhere, but it does not go away after re applying the brakes.

- It still happens when the hand brake is applied (which should rule out problems with the rear correct)?

It sounds like the sound is either coming from immediately where the pedal meets the fire wall, or under the hood. My first guess was to replace the pins on the rear caliper because I noticed two of them had very small rust deposit, but they were cleaned and the boots were replaced. I'm nearly certain they are up to spec. Since the problem still happens with the hand brake on, shouldn't that eliminate the rear calipers? I had a similar problem where after that car sat, there would be a crack when I first pressed the brakes but that has not shown up since I did the rear brakes.

Is the a magical lube point similar to the master cylinder on the clutch that Honda has that I do not know about. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Check to see if the click is coming from the front caliper pins that are *slightly* moving during brake application. Check the front caliper pin boots that may not be thick enough to properly hold the pin and allow a tiny bit of movement that causes the click.

One method is to remove the pins / boots and apply lots of grease to them (I use silicon dielectric compound) and re-assemble and test. If the click is gone or reduced, this is the cause (the "fix is temporary and the noise will be back in a day or so). The fix is to wrap one layer of electrical tape to the end of the boot that is inserted into the bracket (i.e, make it slightly thicker so that it better "holds" the pin when inserted. (obviously, need to clean/degrease and trim the tape to fit). Let me know if this is the prob and i can try posting more detailed instructions / schematic to help out.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Check to see if the click is coming from the front caliper pins that are *slightly* moving during brake application. Check the front caliper pin boots that may not be thick enough to properly hold the pin and allow a tiny bit of movement that causes the click.

One method is to remove the pins / boots and apply lots of grease to them (I use silicon dielectric compound) and re-assemble and test. If the click is gone or reduced, this is the cause (the "fix is temporary and the noise will be back in a day or so). The fix is to wrap one layer of electrical tape to the end of the boot that is inserted into the bracket (i.e, make it slightly thicker so that it better "holds" the pin when inserted. (obviously, need to clean/degrease and trim the tape to fit). Let me know if this is the prob and i can try posting more detailed instructions / schematic to help out.
Thanks for the info. All this morning the sound was not there, but yesterday in the 80*F+ day, it was clicking every brake. There is a noticeable "THUD" that sounds like its coming from under the hood, and the pedal for the first 1/8" feels like its traveling through sand (before it really starts applying pressure to caliper). When it hits the caliper with pressure and gets passed the pedal slack, there is no noise. When the click/noise is not there, there is no audible thud noise under the hood/in the front, and the travel is smooth. In both situations, braking is accurate and there is no pulling to the side.

The interesting thing is that the problem still happens when the Ebrake is on, which I believe eliminates the rear brakes completely. What do you think of replacing the caliper pins/boots all together? While I'm there I think I'll pull these Akebono brakes and put in some Hawk pads too. Not impressed with the Akebono's bite at all.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Bonehead

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I posted about this same thing about 4 years ago in my 2011 that I had just purchased. It sounds exactly like your issue. Mine only does it when outside temps are at about 80 degrees or above. It was still under warranty then so I took it to the dealer. They, of course, didn't even notice/feel the clicking. So I drove it for them and pointed it out (you can also hear it faintly). Then they said that was normal and took me to some brand new cars (2013 I think) and let me try them. They were a lot worse (louder, more often) than mine! I've changed rotors and pads since then, the clicking is still the same. No issues with brake performance at all. I'd say get used to it...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
I had similar issue, went back and re-grease the sliding pins and used a torque wrench for the sliding bolts (37LBS for the FRONTS) noise disappeared. First round I used my own brute strength, I guess it was too much or not enough lol
Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Racer

Thanks everyone for the input! I'll report back after the attempted fix.

Originally Posted by ScottyWM
I posted about this same thing about 4 years ago in my 2011 that I had just purchased. It sounds exactly like your issue. Mine only does it when outside temps are at about 80 degrees or above. It was still under warranty then so I took it to the dealer. They, of course, didn't even notice/feel the clicking. So I drove it for them and pointed it out (you can also hear it faintly). Then they said that was normal and took me to some brand new cars (2013 I think) and let me try them. They were a lot worse (louder, more often) than mine! I've changed rotors and pads since then, the clicking is still the same. No issues with brake performance at all. I'd say get used to it...
Exactly, when it is 80*F+ outside. I'm not giving up on it, I'll re-address the caliper pins. For the past few days it has been in the 50's and not once did this problem happen. So strange. Crazy that they are doing this new!

Originally Posted by icu2tsx
I had similar issue, went back and re-grease the sliding pins and used a torque wrench for the sliding bolts (37LBS for the FRONTS) noise disappeared. First round I used my own brute strength, I guess it was too much or not enough lol
You may be on to something. The torque wrench I used is not the best, but I have a high quality one here at work. I plan on painting the calipers in the next weekend or two and during this time ill re-lube/replace the pins and use the high quality torque wrench. I'm going to order new oem caliper pins/boots too.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution?

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
Thanks everyone for the input! I'll report back after the attempted fix.

Exactly, when it is 80*F+ outside. I'm not giving up on it, I'll re-address the caliper pins. For the past few days it has been in the 50's and not once did this problem happen. So strange. Crazy that they are doing this new!

You may be on to something. The torque wrench I used is not the best, but I have a high quality one here at work. I plan on painting the calipers in the next weekend or two and during this time ill re-lube/replace the pins and use the high quality torque wrench. I'm going to order new oem caliper pins/boots too.
Hi, it’s been some time since this thread was active but I wondered if you ever got this issue sorted as I now have the same problem ? Thanks