Brake pedal noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Bonehead

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Brake pedal noise

2011 TSX sport wagon 22k miles - Anyone experience this? I sometime get a thumping noise and feeling when applying the brakes. You can hear it (softly) and feel it. Hasn't had any affect on the braking thankfully. It has never done it when the car was cold. Just started this summer, and only after the car has been driven at least 10 minutes. But even once it does it the first time, it won't do it every time you hit the brakes. Hitting them soft or hard doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?

you have to turn the sound up a lot to hear it in this video. (sorry it's sideways, but doesn't matter.)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like the same problem that I had with my 2012 Wagon. See https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/2011-tsx-clunk-thumping-sound-when-stopping-833978/
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
shift lock?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Bonehead

Think it's a different problem than the ball joints. It only does it once each time you step on the brakes. Does it whether you are moving or stopped (video was shot when stopped).

Shift lock sounds like it might be a winner! And, it may tie into another issue I've experienced. I've had the car about 4 months, and in that time I've heard a strange buzzing noise coming from the steering cowl area - almost sounds like a short circuit - when I startup the car. Took it to dealer but it wouldn't recreate. It's only happened about 5 times in that 4 months and I can't determine when it might happen. It's a little scary! Dealer removed cowl and looked, but didn't see any thing that looked suspicious.

Another question... should you be able to shift into reverse while moving without your foot on the brake? I found out that I can, accidentally LOL. (I shifted back out before it could engage luckily)
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyWM
Think it's a different problem than the ball joints. It only does it once each time you step on the brakes. Does it whether you are moving or stopped (video was shot when stopped).

Shift lock sounds like it might be a winner! And, it may tie into another issue I've experienced. I've had the car about 4 months, and in that time I've heard a strange buzzing noise coming from the steering cowl area - almost sounds like a short circuit - when I startup the car. Took it to dealer but it wouldn't recreate. It's only happened about 5 times in that 4 months and I can't determine when it might happen. It's a little scary! Dealer removed cowl and looked, but didn't see any thing that looked suspicious.

Another question... should you be able to shift into reverse while moving without your foot on the brake? I found out that I can, accidentally LOL. (I shifted back out before it could engage luckily)
yes you can, it's just not good for your tranny. we have reverse lockout i believe(if the vehicle detects you are moving too much it won't engage reverse, no matter what) to protect the tranny from early shfting to reverse from neutral/drive. but i havent tested that out, nor would i like to lol
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced

I'll admit I could barely hear anything,mso take this with a grain if salt. If the noise can be made when the car is not moving, get an assistant to press the brakes while you go around the car listening through a hose to try and find the source. I would start with the vacum brake booster. Do you have normal stopping power? Does the pedal return normally? If you turn the engine off after it starts doing the problem, and pump the pedal several times, is the noise the same? ( pedal should get harder the more you pump the pedal.

A booster can make a littel bit of noise from the compensating port, and the thump you describe might be a bind in the linkage of the pedal. See if the noise changes with different rpm, ( still not moving). Engine vacuum decreases as Rpm goes up, so if the noise for feel change that would futhrer point to the booster.

Have you taken it in to the dealer for this?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Bonehead

Yasser- good ideas. It has normal stopping no matter what, and pedal always returns to normal. With engine off it will still do the thumping and pedal gets harder. Noise and thump is the same at different rpms.

Haven't taken to the dealer for this yet. Have an oil change coming up soon, will have them look at it then. I'll update with what they say.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Bonehead

Had car at the dealer last week. They test drove it listening for this and thought it was just the park lock solenoid. Then I went with them for the test drive and was able to show them what it was doing and they definitely agreed - it wasn't the shift lock solenoid. But they didn't have any idea what it might be. Will be returning it to the dealer (warranty) this week so they can deep dive into it. Still, has to be at least 85° outside and car has to be full warm for the thump to appear.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Bonehead

Well, got my car back from the dealer. After two days and multiple people listening for the noise they told me they could not hear it. So I went in and drove it again for them and had it doing the noise within about 3 minutes. At which point they said "oh, that noise. That's perfectly normal". I disagreed. So they took me over to an identical car they had on the lot, only it's a year newer. Started it up, and it's brakes made the same noise/thump, only louder and more often! So I said "it must be a common defect then!" They didn't seem to like that, said it meant it was 'normal'. Oh well, it's just one more little annoyance with this car that they tell me is normal.

Here's another, slightly better, video of the problem where I try to catch the sound. It's faint, but you also feel a slight thump in your foot as it's making the sound. So I guess all the Gen II TSX's do this???

Last edited by ScottyWM; 09-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Mine dosen't do this.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Brake switch? Pad shift?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Your description sounds exactly like pad build up on the rotors (I didn't play the video). It's free to fix it, just re-bed the pads and it should go away.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2014 MDX is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get it fixed?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Bonehead

Originally Posted by maddawg995
My 2014 MDX is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get it fixed?
No, as I wrote, the dealer said it was "normal" and wouldn't do anything about it. At least I have the complaint on record. It doesn't affect braking performance at all - just bothers me a little.