Brake Fluid Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Fluid Help!!

SO I decided with a buddy's suggestion to do my own brakes and rotors.
It was a nightmare. As soon as i got the first caliper off, ( and then replaced brakes and rotor) i applied it back on but first thing: alot of fluid from the brakes leaked, then the piston on the caliper popped off (so had to get a new caliper :/ ) then when i tried doing the right front end, there are screws in the rotor that cant come out, and now the heads are stripped and shredded.

So, I was going to do the back ends and see if they have the screws but it was getting late, so i just cleaned up (after 4.5 hours) and gave up.
I realized though that the brake fluid came out when i got the other rotor off so I needed to add more, so I bought it with the new caliper earlier i decided to add it. it got full and I stopped. I know I have to drive tomorrow so i did a small test drive to make sure everything is ok, but the brakes seem too sensitive, like I have to push it all the way in to brake, and only if I pump the brakes (either on park or drive) do they start to have resistance and brakes normal.

This is scary, how can I drive on the faster rides with brakes barely pushing?
What is the cause of this?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sounds like you need to bleed your brake lines.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Sounds like you need to bleed your brake lines.
+1.

Don't drive your car until you get this fixed.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

What do you mean bleed my brakes? If you mean empty out the fluid, its has been done already, i just put more brand new fluid in it, I dont want to drain all of that.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xander76
What do you mean bleed my brakes? If you mean empty out the fluid, its has been done already, i just put more brand new fluid in it, I dont want to drain all of that.
google "how to bleed brakes"

You have air in your brake lines and they will not work until you fix it.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:24 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
If you're doing it by yourself you can buy some "quick bleeders" that allow you to do it by yourself without the need of a partner.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Since the caliper was damaged, you now need to bleed your brakes. If your caliper was not damaged this process would had been avoided.
You have to remove the air bubbles from your brake lines. I bleed the old fashoin way.
The "old fashioned method", requires an assistant to pump on the brake pedal while the mechanic opens and closes the bleed valve on the calipers. This 2-person method generates a sufficient jolt to the brake fluid to knock loose pesky bubbles and allows them to be flushed
If you are unable to perform this task you have 3 options...
1)Ask you mechanic to come to where you car is so he can help with the 2 person method
2)Drive to your mechanic shop going 5mph.
3)If its too risky. You need a toll to a shop.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-21-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:24 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I had the same problem with the screws. I broke an impact driver and stripped 2 of em trying to get them off. I just took the car to my local shop and paid a tech $20 to loosen all the screws, then went back home and did the rest of the job.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Xander76
Maybe you shouldn't start your mechanic's career with safety related items.

Never, never, never start a project if you don't understand how to do it.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
and before you even attempt to do the rears they do not simply compress in like the front ones do, you have to screw in the piston. C clamp and you'll be putting new calipers on the rear too.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Racer

And to the above don't start a project unless you know how to do it, there's a first time for everything. First time I put brakes on I never knew about the pump them after replacing them before driving off, almost crashed at the end of my street because I inadvertently ran the stop sign. Kudos to you for trying it on your own, but just always have a manual handy, and even though you will obvious get slammed on AcuraZine, in-between getting slammed people will generally help you out.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by briq456
And to the above don't start a project unless you know how to do it, there's a first time for everything. First time I put brakes on I never knew about the pump them after replacing them before driving off, almost crashed at the end of my street because I inadvertently ran the stop sign. Kudos to you for trying it on your own, but just always have a manual handy, and even though you will obvious get slammed on AcuraZine, in-between getting slammed people will generally help you out.
Better getting slammed on the forum than on the street.

Trying to do a brake job on your own as a starter project is just plain stupid. Find somebody to walk you through it and help. The mere fact that the OP has never heard of bleeding brakes prooves that he shouldn't have started this job alone.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Better getting slammed on the forum than on the street.

Trying to do a brake job on your own as a starter project is just plain stupid. Find somebody to walk you through it and help. The mere fact that the OP has never heard of bleeding brakes prooves that he shouldn't have started this job alone.
I changed brakes back then first time with nothing more than the manual, I actually didn't know anything about bleeding brakes, as the job I was reading on how to do didn't mention that. Anyhow call me stupid but my stupidity saved me 200.00 over going to a shop or a stealer ship. And I was 16 living at home, and no dad to ask. Sometimes a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

Geez, thanks for the 'kind' words. You cant call someone stupid for trying, only a fool can do that, atleast i tried.

I have done my back brakes once before on this same car, so I kinda understand it. The screws were a pain in the ass (required a drill to take them out.).

I have seen alot of videos online to do this project so yes I HAVE done my research.
And there wasnt anyone to help me, I am on my own. Sometimes you just have to do it.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
to the OP, I ended up getting air in my line when I was going to bleed and replace my brake fluid.

If you can get a friend to assist you just so that they can keep the pedal depressed you can operate the bleed nut and drain fluid with each pump.

You have to keep topping off the brake fluid reservoir so that you maintain fluid in the line. Brake fluid isn't very expensive so a bottle of it should cover getting the air out of your lines.

As far as stuck bolts, you can try spraying them with PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit before trying to break the torque loose, or like someone mentioned, have a shop break the torque loose and leave it hand tight.

Good luck with the rest of the job.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
sounds like you had fun!

Some times having the right tools, help too.

Impact driver - it makes removing rotor screws super easy! works like a ratchet, set it to remove screw, hit with a hammer and bam! screw is out.

TEKTON 2905 3/8-Inch Drive Manual Hand Impact Driver Set, 7-Piece - Screwdriver Bit Sets - Amazon.com TEKTON 2905 3/8-Inch Drive Manual Hand Impact Driver Set, 7-Piece - Screwdriver Bit Sets - Amazon.com

Disc Brake Piston Tool- to turn the piston back in, attach it to your favorite ratchet and turn away or use a big flat head screw driver. Tool has different sizes, so it works with other car brands too.

Amazon.com: Performance Tool  W80621 3/8-Inch Drive Disc Brake Piston Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Performance Tool W80621 3/8-Inch Drive Disc Brake Piston Tool: Automotive

One-Man Brake Bleeder Kit- makes bleeding your brakes super easy and avoids the headaches of dealing with air pockets.

Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 25036 Bleed-O-Matic One-Man Brake Bleeder Kit: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 25036 Bleed-O-Matic One-Man Brake Bleeder Kit: Home Improvement

Disc Brake Pad Spreader- helps push the front disc in.

Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 25265 Disc Brake Pad Spreader: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 25265 Disc Brake Pad Spreader: Home Improvement

All this tool can be had for under $30, depends on how you feel about tool brands, take a 20% coupon and go to local harbor freight tools, pay once for the tools and use them once or use them many times.

I once was a noob too, I've learned now that having the right tools make life easier. This might not help you know since you already did it the hard way, but hope some person reading this takes this tools into account.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friendly advice, pay someone to do it.