Black dust on visors, headliner, dash...??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black dust on visors, headliner, dash...??

I realize this is more of a general care question, but you guys are knowledgeable so what the hey... I've recently been noticing occasional build up (growth) of black dust on my headliners and visor. I garage park at home, and in the sun with windows cracked at work. Southern California. Use a reflective dash shade most days, but have noticed the dust even on days when I don't. I recently drove to the Bay Area, left the car parked over night with windows up, and noticed it again in the morning. Sorry just spit-balling observations here. I don't notice anything coming from the vents when blowing.
Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2014 TSX Wagon NonTech kept very clean and maintained
Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
A) that's mold
B) you got it service and the tech who did your job has dirty hands and got it dirty.

I get my company car serviced every 5K miles and have them change my cabin filter and every time without fail, they smudge their dirty hands on the glove box or on the pillar...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by trhymes
I realize this is more of a general care question, but you guys are knowledgeable so what the hey... I've recently been noticing occasional build up (growth) of black dust on my headliners and visor. I garage park at home, and in the sun with windows cracked at work. Southern California. Use a reflective dash shade most days, but have noticed the dust even on days when I don't. I recently drove to the Bay Area, left the car parked over night with windows up, and noticed it again in the morning. Sorry just spit-balling observations here. I don't notice anything coming from the vents when blowing.
Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Are you sure your sun shade isn't rubbing against or marking your interior? From your pictures it looks like all the places the sun shade might hit the interior or be held in place. Take a good long look at your sun shade. Otherwise I would agree it could be mold but that's hard to fathom in the California heat.