B1 service! Need little advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
B1 service! Need little advice

It's time for the B1 service.
My dealer has the offers:
+ Winter Maintenance Special for $69.95. Link: http://www.imakenews.com/acurapeabod...0hk,bl6P9DnC,w
+ Complete Detail Special for $179.99. Link: http://www.imakenews.com/acurapeabod...w10hk,bl6P9DnC

Is it worth to do the $179.95 package for B1?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I dont see where the detail special says they will do service other than a detail??? if you want to do both then maybe they can bundle?

Last edited by NIGHTEHAWK; 01-24-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
If you want a good detail, don't go to your acura dealership. They will leave swirls in the paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrstak:
mkeefe (01-25-2012), s40 driver (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
^ agree
try to find someone local or a shop that specialize in detailing
Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
dont get it washed or detailed at your dealership. PS: they will likely say that you need to change your cabin and air filter as well, it'll be about 150. don't do it, you can spend 15 min and do it yourself for a third of that price
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NIGHTEHAWK
I dont see where the detail special says they will do service other than a detail??? if you want to do both then maybe they can bundle?
I am in the same thought, that's one of the reason I'm asking it's worth doing it or not. I have no clue what their "detail special" is. I just don't want to spend $179 and clueless what they would do.
If they indeed spell out their "detail" work, it surely easier for me to make a choice.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Racer

Thanks all for the input.

If for just an A1 (engine oil/filter changed, tire rotation) or replacing air cleaner filter/dust pollen filter and/ore top-off fluid, I don't mind doing my own or bring to the local shop but since it's B1:
+ inspect tire rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
+ inspect suspension components
+ inspect driveshaft boots
+ inspect brake hoses and line (including ABS/VSA)
+ inspect exhaust system
+ inspect fuel lines and connections

Those items above are over my head, honestly, I can't do that on my own.
If those are NOT important, I would choose the $69.95 package since it's almost like A1+ service.
What do you guys think?

Note: this is my very first B1 appearance, vehicle currently has 16K miles on it.

Last edited by pinatubo; 01-25-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Regardless of what their detail specials include, don't do it. If you want to give your car a good detailing, go to a reputable detail shop or person. From everything I've read, dealership "detail" people are horrible.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
dont' ever use the dealer detail dept...like others have said. these guys don't care about your car the way you do.

as far as service...its up to you on paying for the B1 service. $180 is the going rate. for peace of mind knowing that your car has had it's "routine" physical that sure it can be worth it. essentially a B service is a glorified oil change with a lot of inspections. the 1 is a tire rotation. i like the B service just for these guys to look over things and make sure everything is sound so am i willing to pay for that? yes.

for A service i just tell them oil change ($40) otherwise you pay $120 for your A service (its the same thing-an oil change). and DIY your cabin and engine air filters.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pinatubo
It's time for the B1 service.
My dealer has the offers:
+ Winter Maintenance Special for $69.95. Link: http://www.imakenews.com/acurapeabod...0hk,bl6P9DnC,w
+ Complete Detail Special for $179.99. Link: http://www.imakenews.com/acurapeabod...w10hk,bl6P9DnC

Is it worth to do the $179.95 package for B1?
Thanks
Not sure how far you feel like driving or where you are but check out Toy Wash in Marlborough. They have a bunch of packages but the Diamond has a clay bar and loaner car. It comes out looking immaculate. I did it right before Winter hit and will do it again in the Spring.

Edit: Here is my car after its detail and a 25 minute ride back home.

Matt

Last edited by mkeefe; 01-25-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

mkeefe- nice wheels...i have those on my TL. however i got mine courtesy of NTB and merchant's tire damaging my other set of wheels (FREE UPGRADE).
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
^ Yeah, those are some pretty nice wheels!!!

To pinatubo, I would get the B1 with all the inspections just for peace of mind, especially if your dealer has a good reputation.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
when I go to the acura dealers for just a oil/filer change and even the annual state inspection they give me a multi-point vehicle inspection checklist which they filled out.
One of the many questions on the acura corp survey is did they give you a checklist. I seem to get a survey every time I go to a acura dealer. Does anyone else get them.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Racer

Big thanks to all brothers and sisters, since you guys switching topic with "nice wheel" , pls allow me to be off track a bit.
This is my friend case, her 2010 PWP TSX needs B12 services.
She just dropped it off the Curry's Auto Service in Chantilly VA, where she used to go for oil changes. This shop seems to have a good reputation. They quoted her $270 for B12, suggested her doing transmission fluid replacement which costs $234 and some misc. recommendation, bring the total up to $632.
How could a "reputation" shop try to rip her off? Replacement transmission fluid? R u kidding me? her TSX only has 25K miles. Anyway, even with just B12 service, it costs $270.
She then called Ponhanka Acura dealer where she purchased the vehicle, quote of $375 for B12. LOL
She might have to go with the Curry but not a happy customer.

Back to my case, I might have to spend for the $180 package.
Thanks all
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Big thanks to all brothers and sisters, since you guys switching topic with "nice wheel" , pls allow me to be off track a bit.
This is my friend case, her 2010 PWP TSX needs B12 services.
She just dropped it off the Curry's Auto Service in Chantilly VA, where she used to go for oil changes. This shop seems to have a good reputation. They quoted her $270 for B12, suggested her doing transmission fluid replacement which costs $234 and some misc. recommendation, bring the total up to $632.
How could a "reputation" shop try to rip her off? Replacement transmission fluid? R u kidding me? her TSX only has 25K miles. Anyway, even with just B12 service, it costs $270.
She then called Ponhanka Acura dealer where she purchased the vehicle, quote of $375 for B12. LOL
She might have to go with the Curry but not a happy customer.

Back to my case, I might have to spend for the $180 package.
Thanks all
OUCH:
did she ask pohanka acura if they price matched-some dealers will do that-I have MT and had the fluid changed at 110K miles.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Racer

Update: At Curry, $270 is for B12 service with "regular" oil. If choosing "synthetic oil", it would cost additional $80, bring it to $350 + taxes. wowww
Thing is she doesn't need the "1" since she just rotated at Costco a month ago. For the "2" as air/cabin filters, which easily done by her relative, I guess. Her case ends up like me, engine oil/filter must be done but it comes to the "inspections"
If just for A service, oil/filter changed only, costs about $40, but with those "inspections", it costs a lot. I don't know they do really do the "inspection" or not
If they don't even take a look, how do I know?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
OUCH:
did she ask pohanka acura if they price matched-some dealers will do that-I have MT and had the fluid changed at 110K miles.
She has not, might try that.

Just for a piece of mind, she have no other choice but to let them rip her off $350+
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Update: At Curry, $270 is for B12 service with "regular" oil. If choosing "synthetic oil", it would cost additional $80, bring it to $350 + taxes. wowww
Thing is she doesn't need the "1" since she just rotated at Costco a month ago. For the "2" as air/cabin filters, which easily done by her relative, I guess. Her case ends up like me, engine oil/filter must be done but it comes to the "inspections"
If just for A service, oil/filter changed only, costs about $40, but with those "inspections", it costs a lot. I don't know they do really do the "inspection" or not
If they don't even take a look, how do I know?
paying more does not guarantee inspections. Had the oil/filter changed last week which I asked for (not by a-1 service) They included with the invoice a multi-point vehicle inspection checklist. They used a synblend oil and it cost me $54.57 (inc. tax) they did a bg good oil change but I do not know the benefits of that.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Racer

paying more does not guarantee inspections. Had the oil/filter changed last week which I asked for (not by a-1 service) They included with the invoice a multi-point vehicle inspection checklist. They used a synblend oil and it cost me $54.57 (inc. tax) they did a bg good oil change but I do not know the benefits of that.
I don't mind paying more for the good and detail works but like you said, paying more doesn't guarantee anything, that's what i hesitate.
Agree, every time I do oil change, they run a list of multi-point inspection then suggesting me replace this or that.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
...Back to my case, I might have to spend for the $180 package.
Thanks all
I don't think you understand. The $70 service is oil change and inspections, the $180 package is to wash and polish (undoubtedly very badly) your car.

One has nothing to do with the other.

As far as pricing - try pricing out at various Honda dealers - they are usually cheaper and use the same tools and supplies.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

my last B service i paid $180 on my TL (this was at Pohanka). no other codes. the tire rotation is typically included with the B service. the 2 for the filters just DIY. go to the parts counter spend your $40 for both filters and change them at home. dealer labor is stupid expensive.

the tranny fluid is dictated by code 3 in the MID. curry auto is upselling this service.

all i know is that is pays to be a loyal dealer customer. if you make nice nice with them they are more willing to cut you a few breaks here and there. work with one of the veterans on a regular basis....then it will pay off in the long term. also know what your car needs. curry auto was trying to take advantage of your female friend. pohanka does not do that kind of stuff (they make suggestions, but you don't have to take them), at least not with me since i know what my car needs.

usually if you just call the dealer they give you the "book price". they don't know who you are or your car's history. i always like to ask in person or talk to the same advisor, then they give me a real answer without the BS, again that's just me. most customers they may treat and charge like your friend.

as far as the detail dept....stay far far away. i've heard a few stories...or do it yourself.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 01-26-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 AM
it's a car-drive it

^^^^^
what was included in the $180.00 service.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
I don't think you understand. The $70 service is oil change and inspections, the $180 package is to wash and polish (undoubtedly very badly) your car.

One has nothing to do with the other.

As far as pricing - try pricing out at various Honda dealers - they are usually cheaper and use the same tools and supplies.
hehehehe, yes, sir, I won't bring my TSX in for the "detail special" works when I am not knowing what would be done.
I think it should have been more than just wash and polish but I believe you.
$69.95 package here I come.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
my last B service i paid $180 on my TL (this was at Pohanka). no other codes. the tire rotation is typically included with the B service. the 2 for the filters just DIY. go to the parts counter spend your $40 for both filters and change them at home. dealer labor is stupid expensive.

the tranny fluid is dictated by code 3 in the MID. curry auto is upselling this service.

all i know is that is pays to be a loyal dealer customer. if you make nice nice with them they are more willing to cut you a few breaks here and there. work with one of the veterans on a regular basis....then it will pay off in the long term. also know what your car needs. curry auto was trying to take advantage of your female friend. pohanka does not do that kind of stuff (they make suggestions, but you don't have to take them), at least not with me since i know what my car needs.

usually if you just call the dealer they give you the "book price". they don't know who you are or your car's history. i always like to ask in person or talk to the same advisor, then they give me a real answer without the BS, again that's just me. most customers they may treat and charge like your friend.

as far as the detail dept....stay far far away. i've heard a few stories...or do it yourself.
Agree, they try to rip off my friend.
Good info, m8
Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

i pay less than 100 bucks for B1... im looking at these prices and im really confused by you guys. i have a 2010 Base I4 TSX. this is a constant "special" at my dealership. and they price match if you bring in a different acura's coupon. take a look at the first thing on here. tell curry they are crazy lol

http://www.ramseyacura.com/specials/service.htm

transmission (minder #3) is only 80 as well, scroll further down that page.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^^^
what was included in the $180.00 service.
if this is a question, then...
oil and filter change all of their wordly inspections, top off fluids etc associated with the B service. actually i think i only paid $150 b/c i didn't get the tire rotation since i was due for new tires at that time so my SA adjusted the labor rate. i think of the B service as an annual physical for the car. A service...just the oil change otherwise its $120!!! eek!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
if this is a question, then...
oil and filter change all of their wordly inspections, top off fluids etc associated with the B service. actually i think i only paid $150 b/c i didn't get the tire rotation since i was due for new tires at that time so my SA adjusted the labor rate. i think of the B service as an annual physical for the car. A service...just the oil change otherwise its $120!!! eek!
when you get just a oil/filter change (A-1) doesn't your dealer do the multi-point inspection and give you a checklist. When I went for the annual state inspection costing me $13.60 at the acura dealer in NC they did a inspection and noted that I needed windshield wiper fluid and they topped it off.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yes they do their multi point inspection with their fancy check list they recently implemented. its funny b/c one time they have my brake pads on the border of yellow/green, then next time its green. my tire wear is in the green, then its yellow/green on the border. uh...huh...yeah. i guess it depends on the tech working on my car (i try and use the same SA so the car gets worked on by the same "team".

then of course they check off the recommended dealer upsells (the tech does at least) but my SA glosses over it b/c he knows he's not going to get me to bite on it.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

i've learned not to really trust the multipoint checklist. maybe my service dept just kinda sucks =/ they always put a check that the foglights work fine, i havent had them connected for about 2 months. i actually dont have any bulbs in, and the plugs are just chillin inside the bumper. im waiting on a second replacement HID ballast from DDM
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by PyroDave
i've learned not to really trust the multipoint checklist. maybe my service dept just kinda sucks =/ they always put a check that the foglights work fine, i havent had them connected for about 2 months. i actually dont have any bulbs in, and the plugs are just chillin inside the bumper. im waiting on a second replacement HID ballast from DDM
you must have a different multpoint checklist than me. Looked over the ones I have-no mention of checking foglights- they check headlights (high and low beam) brake lights, taillights, hazard warning lights, turn signal lights
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Racer

Don't know how they work in your area but up here, I know some dealers (and even local shops), when bringing your car over for, say B1 service, if you don't mention anything, they MIGHT (or might not who the heck know) do their works, multipoint inspections, .... bla bla bla then charging you for a good amount of money. However if you do mention that you have coupon, such $69.95, they know for sure no matter what, they only get $69.95, so they don't really do their works, some not even replacing oil or filter, left alone other multipoint inspections.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I've said in the past that I liked my dealership, but it's hit or miss. Management changes, there's high turnover with the techs, etc. For example, last time the tech wrote on the service order that he inflated my tires to specs, but the second I got in the car I knew that he hadn't because the TPMS was exactly the same as before. Even after driving on the freeway and warming up the tires, it never got up to my specified PSI.

I work in a company with mostly smart and hardworking people, but even my company has people who slack or who don't pay attention to what they're doing. How can I expect anything better at a car dealership?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
is B1 service the first service for the car?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, generally A1 is.