anyone go from a 3rd gen TL to the new TSX ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
anyone go from a 3rd gen TL to the new TSX ?

If so...what are you impressions about the interior quality of the 09 tsx vs the 3rd gen TL. I dont really like the new TL but like the looks of the new tsx. I am worried that the interior will feel 2nd rate in comparison to my 04 tl...what do you guys think ?
Also is there anything that can make this car as fast as my TL(0-60) or do I just have to wait for a bigger engine to come along ?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was given a 09 TSX loaner while my 08 TL was in the shop. The look of the TSX is fresh but the interior is 2nd rate to the TL. The TSX is great on local streets. With freeway driving, I prefer the TL. It's good to know that the V6 is on the way next year.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I owned many cars, and am a huge Honda fan. My first honda was a 1995 Acura Integra LS 5spd, and I loved that car wish I kept it. After the Integra I bought a 2004 TL 6spd A Spec and loved the car. But I did notice that some of the interior was not as crisp or detailed as the Honda/Acura models which were made in Japan. The TL was made in Ohio. I loved the TL and I think Honda did a great job with the 2004-2007 TL models.

I just purchased a 2009 TSX Tech in September, and the quality had no diminished according to my standards. Yea Honda took some shortcuts but in my opinion nothing that most Automakers are not doing to lower costs and be more competitive in the current market. Some mentioned the Tan colored rear deck cover on all models including the ones with the Black interior, such as mine, and the extra spot for the trunk release in the passenger side door panel which is probably used in Japan or other RHD countries.

Someone even mentioned that the dash looks like its made from the Nerf football material. Had anyone ever seen the BMW dash? I actually like the textures feel/look compared to the plastic look of other cars. The materials and workmanship is not bad at all, one of the major reasons I bought the TSX was for the interior, it simply rocks, I love how everything is placed, it looks very modern and up to date, and you can't compare the amount of tech you get for the price to any other car on the market in the same category. Aside from the interior, I wanted a 4cyl car, which would have a firmer ride and some feel of the road compared to other sedans, another important factor was that I would not be bitten by the mod bug ( I share the car currently with the wife)

So if you are interested in something smaller, reliable, fun to drive and filled with options in comparison with the TL I think the TSX is a good fit, just go out and test drive one.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
New TSX is very refined car for 4 cylinder. quietness is among the best in the class. Only 6cylinder A4 is better.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/acur...143/specs.html
Db @ Idle: 47.2
Db @ Full Throttle: 75
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 65.5
BMW 328I 6M
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3series/2008/testdrive.html
Db @ Idle: 42.7
Db @ Full Throttle: 76.0
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68.0
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, the interior is far inferior.
the new TSX's interior is just an Accord interior.
with different placed vents in the center.
the materials are a lower quality.
the craftsmanship is a lower quality.

if interior quality is a big selling point, new Acura's are not your cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
yes, the interior is far inferior.
the new TSX's interior is just an Accord interior.
with different placed vents in the center.
the materials are a lower quality.
the craftsmanship is a lower quality.

if interior quality is a big selling point, new Acura's are not your cars.
The TL and TSX are in different classes. A TL is a mid-level luxury car and a TSX is entry-level luxury. So the level of refinement will be different.

With that said... IMO it's all subjective as far which you would prefer and opinions of the interior. The same argument can be said about any car out there. For example, Inifinti / Nissan using the same freaking interior in all their new cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverJ
If so...what are you impressions about the interior quality of the 09 tsx vs the 3rd gen TL. I dont really like the new TL but like the looks of the new tsx. I am worried that the interior will feel 2nd rate in comparison to my 04 tl...what do you guys think ?
Also is there anything that can make this car as fast as my TL(0-60) or do I just have to wait for a bigger engine to come along ?
You have to test drive both. I didn't come from a 3G TL but I both test drove and had one as a loaner in the last week so I've been between both cars very recently. You should have no problem test driving both because they are currently sharing lot space at Acura dealers and will be for the next couple of years.

You have to test drive them because the freshness of the 2G TSX layout and the new soft plastics have an advantage over the 3G TL's aged appearance and nice yet over familiar materials. Even if the TSX's interior is technically not as nice there's a good chance you'll like it more. I did. The new TSX has a very cool gauge cluster. The multi-tiered layout definately makes me feel like I have a new car. Even though the TL has nice touches like fake wood trim and fake carbon fiber I can't get over the oldness of the feel, both in the sense that it's been around for a few years and it seems like something my grandpa would have liked.

Also with regard to speed you should test drive both for this also because I definately think the shortcoming of the 4 cylinder is made up for in handling, mileage and the even torque curve. It's cool how the TL lurches you forward but I don't think it's worth the trade off in handling and mileage.

Last edited by wackura; 11-21-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
sounds to me like the TSX interior isnt as nice as the 3g tl....I figured it may be just as good due to the fact that a tsx with nav cost about as much as the 3g tl did at this point...sounds like you got better bang for the buck wiht the 3g tl. But I will go check out myself. If its anything like the new Accord it is DEFINITELY a step down.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually very pleased with the interior quality of my '09 TSX. It's a lot better than my '06 G35 sedan was, and that car was a couple grand more expensive.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I'm actually very pleased with the interior quality of my '09 TSX. It's a lot better than my '06 G35 sedan was, and that car was a couple grand more expensive.
any pix for aerokit. how much it cost. does it lower the car.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I think the largest and most noticeable difference will be the plastic trim vs. your real aluminum. Beyond that, I'd say that the improvements for G2 TSX make it largely as refined as the outgoing TL. Leather and soft-touch plastics will be similar. The TSX steering wheel is thicker and smaller in diameter and (IMO) much nicer than the old 4 spoke in the '04 TL.

My customers who have made the switch comment that the TSX is quieter, but the 4 cylinder sound is still there. They do however, comment on the extraordinary fuel economy they are getting.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what aspect of interior quality in the 3G TL would be better than the 2G TSX. Almost every surface of the 2G TSX is velvety soft, which I consider a good thing, where as both the 3G TL and 1G TSX have many hard and glossy plastic surfaces, particularily the center column and steering wheel interfaces, that aren't rental car grade yet not nearly as pleasant to touch. I want to actualy feel the quality when I interact with it, it's not enough for it to simply look good.

I like the sound of the new TSX more than the 1G even though it's the same engine. Before it sounded louder and like the engine was straining to reach peak power because it really was, but due to the even torque band and extra sound dampening it has more more of a confident growl as it passes 4000 rpm.

The only thing I miss about the 1G TSX is the more natural and precise steering.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
any pix for aerokit. how much it cost. does it lower the car.
I got it at dealer cost and installed it myself, negotiated the price of the kit when purchasing the car. Lowers the car a little bit but not a ton. Consists of front, rear, and sides.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack.

Last edited by DerwoodEE; 11-29-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Banned

The power plenum looks great in non-chrome. I'd like to replace my grill with something else but not the JDM grill because it would say Honda on the front and Acura everywhere else.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

09 TSX looks more muscular design than 08 TL which is bland design by now with small lights. fog lights and grill on TL looks and afterthought.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 11-30-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I got it at dealer cost and installed it myself, negotiated the price of the kit when purchasing the car. Lowers the car a little bit but not a ton. Consists of front, rear, and sides.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack.
Thanks for the picture. Looks much better in Black. I am not sure for PWP it works the same way. I think Chrome grill fine for white

Old 11-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

It might not look as bad but white on white would look much better, I promise.