Am I the only one...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one...

...that likes the new grille? Over-all to me the new car looks nice. Flame away.

Ps. I'm not buying one though. The added torque is appreciated but the added pork is not... and I would rather they tuned the engine to make more power than try to appeal to the eco-weenies by making it a Super-Duper-Ultra-Low-Emission-Friendly-To-Spotted-Owls-Made-Only-By-Communist-Vegans-Vehicle (SDULEFTSOMOBCVV) or whatever meaningless designation they touted in the press release. People who care about that crap buy Priuses anyway, not sports sedans.

I'll keep dumping quart after quart of oil in my '04 until next year - if there is a blown TSX-S I'll bite - otherwise it's a used TL Type-S or new WRX STi (if they make a luxo edition like they did the last gen - I NEED my ass warmers and a sunroof).
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the grille looks much better and refined than the RL. Can't wait to see it in person / test drive one
Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind that over the life of the new model gas prices will be climbing quite a bit. I suspect peak prices will climb at a rate of about a dollar a year for the next 10 years or so. Part of this is due to inflation but most of it will be decreased availability due to the increase demands of China, India and other nations that are just starting to turn the corner from the 3rd world.

My gas consumption concerns are about 10% eco-weenie and 90% not wanting be po.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Advanced

I like the grill as well. The car looks good overall and has made some good improvements.

I am not griping too much about the power like other people because there are so many new amenities to the new model that many of us will appreciate and will be more practical on a daily basis.

It is also funny to hear all these folks swearing to not buy the car and going to Audi/BMW or whatever because of the horsepower. When these same people bought the 1st gen TSX, they knew how much hp it made and had the opportunity to chose the other brands, but once they drove the TSX, they fell in love with it even though it made only 200 hp.

I figure there will be another new group of people that will become fans of the car after driving it and replace all these folks who are abandoning the TSX merely on performance. Not real world issues like quality, reliability, value, cost of maintenance . . .
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With respect to gas consumption, that was one reason why I got rid of my 05 TSX. It was slow AND had relatively poor gas mileage. I averaged between 20.5 and 21 mpg over the 3 yrs I had the car. Granted, I drive in stop and go, heavy Los Angeles traffic, but my old school Infiniti G20 was quicker than my TSX and also routinely gave me 25+ mpg in the same identical traffic.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
With respect to gas consumption, that was one reason why I got rid of my 05 TSX. It was slow AND had relatively poor gas mileage. I averaged between 20.5 and 21 mpg over the 3 yrs I had the car. Granted, I drive in stop and go, heavy Los Angeles traffic, but my old school Infiniti G20 was quicker than my TSX and also routinely gave me 25+ mpg in the same identical traffic.
i also was averaging about that when i lived in LA with my 05 TSX.

Then again you can't really beat a tsx with most other comparable cars. a 3 series will get even worse milage. I drove a g35 for a while in LA and was getting 6 mpg less than the tsx (it was like 15 vs 21 because of all the traffic).

TO all you non socal people, i moved to northern california in the east bay and i get about 24 - 25 mpg (more fwy though than i drove in LA).

a g20 is no where near the car a tsx is, it doesnt have nearly the safety features and has a 2L i-4 and is based off a sentra. Its also much much older, so it likedly has way less standard features.

the TSX actually gets fairly good gas milage for a car its size. the only car I can even think off with comparable features and engine that gets better mpg is the a4 2.0 T fwd becuase it uses a cvt and has direct injection.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Super-Duper-Ultra-Low-Emission-Friendly-To-Spotted-Owls-Made-Only-By-Communist-Vegans-Vehicle (SDULEFTSOMOBCVV) or whatever meaningless designation they touted in the press release. People who care about that crap buy Priuses anyway, not sports sedans.[

And I couldn't agree more about the bolded part.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

I'm not so sure the current TSX is underpowered, it might just be geared bad or lack torque. The TSX is fast enough for me in certain gears and RPMs, but it seems to take its sweet time between first and second gear and doesn't feel torquey until the upper ranges of second and third gear. I don't see that as a characteristic of the 1G TSX, I see it as a mistake, and that maybe the new TSX's improved torque and new gearing fixes this problem and make the car not feel like it should.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
I'm not so sure the current TSX is underpowered, it might just be geared bad or lack torque. The TSX is fast enough for me in certain gears and RPMs, but it seems to take its sweet time between first and second gear and doesn't feel torquey until the upper ranges of second and third gear. I don't see that as a characteristic of the 1G TSX, I see it as a mistake, and that maybe the new TSX's improved torque and new gearing fixes this problem and make the car not feel like it should.
Right on, there! Wait and see how it drives. 201HP and 172ft/lbs tq isn't bad and with proper gear ratios, it could be a winner.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wackura
I agree!! I have an '07 AT, and it pulls good when revving high, but damn that shift from 2nd to 3rd drops the revs like 5000 and kills me for 1~2 seconds.. if the gearing was better.. I haven't driven a MT, but hear the gear ratios are much better..

But driving that baby in 1~2 gears feels like the car is pulling enough.. so i wonder what this one will feel like..
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by snailspeed
I am not griping too much about the power like other people because there are so many new amenities to the new model that many of us will appreciate and will be more practical on a daily basis.
It wouldn't bother me if there was only the small power gain... but the small power gain and what I can only assume will be a substantial weight gain (based on increased dimensions) worries me.

It's worth a drive though.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datadr
Right on, there! Wait and see how it drives. 201HP and 172ft/lbs tq isn't bad and with proper gear ratios, it could be a winner.
As I stated above... don't forget it's likely going to be heavier too.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Keep in mind that over the life of the new model gas prices will be climbing quite a bit. I suspect peak prices will climb at a rate of about a dollar a year for the next 10 years or so. Part of this is due to inflation but most of it will be decreased availability due to the increase demands of China, India and other nations that are just starting to turn the corner from the 3rd world.

My gas consumption concerns are about 10% eco-weenie and 90% not wanting be po.
I think that's a rather drastic prediction. I'll admit I'm not an expert, but I think there are still vast sources of oil that have yet to be tapped for political and or economic reasons. But as demand and technology increases we may see some of these obstacles overcome. There are still substantial reserves in Alaska and the Gulf Cost and Canada is ramping up production of previously unavailable shale oil.

I'm not ready to panic yet... after all inflation adjusted we're about where we were in the late 1970's yet I can still clearly remember filling my 4Runner's tank for $.98 a gallon in Indiana around 1999.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Fight On!!!

Originally Posted by NDLunchbox
...that likes the new grille? Over-all to me the new car looks nice. Flame away.

Ps. I'm not buying one though. The added torque is appreciated but the added pork is not... and I would rather they tuned the engine to make more power than try to appeal to the eco-weenies by making it a Super-Duper-Ultra-Low-Emission-Friendly-To-Spotted-Owls-Made-Only-By-Communist-Vegans-Vehicle (SDULEFTSOMOBCVV) or whatever meaningless designation they touted in the press release. People who care about that crap buy Priuses anyway, not sports sedans.

I'll keep dumping quart after quart of oil in my '04 until next year - if there is a blown TSX-S I'll bite - otherwise it's a used TL Type-S or new WRX STi (if they make a luxo edition like they did the last gen - I NEED my ass warmers and a sunroof).
i agree, it doesnt bother me at all. i think the car looks great...so far as we've seen. i'm with you all the way. still holding out a tiny bit of hope for more power though - but its looking like my Mini awaits!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen the movie "Cars"?....same grill

[QUOTE=NDLunchbox]...that likes the new grille? Over-all to me the new car looks nice. Flame away.

2009 Pictured in USA today , grill should help the resale on my 2006...BUTT UGGGLY!