Acura TSX or wait for whats in store for newer sedans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Acura TSX or wait for whats in store for newer sedans?

Hello,

I am in the market for a new car. Actually I have been in the market for 2 years now but I have always been hesitant because I haven't found anything I felt confident about enough to take on a car payment for the next 5 years.

I originally wanted a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe, loved the design but started to hate it over time (sloping roof line, porche looking body which i hate). I then considered the 2013 Accord Sedan Sport. Lacked features and back end looks boring. I then came across the Acura TSX 2009 and up models. Everything appealed to me: design, features, and price (used with low mileage in the 20's). Now that the design is really aging the prices are coming down. My friend has one and I test drove one myself and loved it.

My dilemma: Its been close to 6 years old in design terms. The interior is dated but I do love it. The performance is enough for me since the car is small and feels peppy for my needs. Oddly enough the 2016 Chevy Malibu redesign has caught my eye and is due out later this year. I know I can get a great deal on a used tsx, but the tech, design, mpg, etc coming out is appealing in newer sedans.

How do you feel about your tsx and how it stacks up with newer models? I will probably finance a tsx and keep it for at least 7 years. I just don't want to regret it down the road, end up trading it in during the financing months and lose out.

In the end, I love the tsx and always stop in my tracks to check on out in a parking lot. So, what do you all think I should do? I would love to purchase a new car soon to enjoy it in the summer months (plus, I own a 2001 suv that I have had enough of. It has been my only car I have ever had lol).

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
The looks of the tsx are nice, the interior is nice.. good looking and comfortable.. the only problem with the TSX is the "tech" is utter crap.

If you get a base model you get a big ugly LCD which looks like a 90s clock for your HVAC and radio display

If you get a "tech" you get an outdated pixelated LCD and a less than great navi system.

and then no push button start, memory mirrors, auto window up down, etc.

Personally if i were buying right now i'd get an Accord over the TSX. The new one is very, very nice.
The following 2 users liked this post by iCrap:
urbanstereo (05-20-2015), xtcnrice (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
For me personally, the styling is a big factor in deciding on a "new" vehicle. I love the look and feel of the 2G TSX. I'll be honest, and it's pretty lame, but I look back quite often when I walk away from my car. I've also done that when the car was bone stock, so it's not just the mods

Interior wise, I feel comfy, and it does provide a sort of luxurious feel. When I took the car to the dealership to get a TSB done, I took the opportunity to check out the TLX. Boy, that car went absolutely backwards in terms of interior styling. Huge step back from the 4G TL, and I definitely missed my 2G TSX. But like iCrap mentioned, once you get familiar with the car, you'll find some of the "tech" in the car to be quite dated. Our climate control feels a bit dated. The way the information is presented to us is hugely outdated as many cars come with touch screen displays and all now, whether it has navi or not. And if you do opt for the tech package, the quality of the display is obviously behind the times. Oh and, although it's not a huge deal for most people, I do wish there was a push to start of some sort. If not push to start, at least allow me to unlock the doors/trunk without having to press the on the keyfob. This gets extremely old when I'm carrying 3-4 bags of groceries or whatnot, and I'm struggling to get my keys to open the trunk.

Anyway, you are correct on everything you've mentioned. The TSX doesn't get great MPGs. If you're doing mostly highway miles, this isn't a big deal as the K series engine seems to be pretty happy when cruising. In the city however, it's pretty crap, especially for a 4 banger. I'm averaging about 10.2 L/100km right now doing probably 75% city driving (23 MPG). It's not terrible, but like you said it's definitely not great for today's standards.

But to be fair, all of the things mentioned above are due to the fact that this car did come out in 2008 as an 09 model. That was, and I cringe thinking about it, 7 years ago which you have noticed. So, with that being said, prices have dropped quite a bit. I say, give the car a thorough test drive. Get some more seating time in your friend's 2G TSX to play with the various features. You mentioned you wanted a car that will last for many years to come (in the case of a new car... but I'm sure you'd expect that from the TSX too). It'd be a good idea to figure out any gripes you may have with the car before actually purchasing one.

In terms of maintenance/problems, a few 09 owners have mentioned that the TSBs were applicable to them, and so they've gotten warranty work done while they were still covered. Otherwise, the car is rock solid. Do proper routine maintenance, and the car will run for many, many years to come.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Eggs999bacon (05-23-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
You will never find a car that has everything you want and makes you 100% happy. You'll spend forever looking and miss out on owning anything. A lot can happen in 7 years, personal life wise and car advancement wise.

Decide on what you must need and what are luxuries you can do without. I hope this isn't the one and only car you'll own the rest of your life. Get something that meets your needs, and if those needs change later, that's life. Upgrade when its time.

Get it. Enjoy it. Modify it. Re-enjoy it. Sell it. Rinse and repeat.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the new malibus look great, exterior wise.....but hop in the car and you'll know you're in a chevy.

you're going to have to narrow down what is more important to you.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
OP,

For me,

When it comes to fun to drive factor, TSX can match with the 4cyl. TLX.

When it comes to looks, I think TSX still looks good, not outdated yet. You probably need to change the rims to new 18" though.

When it comes to tech, TSX is outdated compare to TLX.

My final suggestion is if you are going with TSX, try to get the Tech package.

TSX pros
1. (Very) Fun to drive.
2. Timing belt - Chain
3. Made in Japan - Very good fit and finish.

TSX cons
1. Steering have no center, always need to correct even on h-way.
2. Weak A/C system - Not good here in Texas summer.
3. Seat have bad cushioning-I think Honda & Acura in general.
4. Soft exterior metal body panels.

Goodluck!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Oh yeah that remindes me of the other massive con on the TSX, the steering.

Like the above poster says it has a strange off center feel, there is a slight deadzone on center and it feels kind of "numb." That said, the car handles pretty nicely.

oh yea also the soft body panels, i can literally push in the fenders with my pinkie.

Originally Posted by RCJD
OP,

For me,

When it comes to fun to drive factor, TSX can match with the 4cyl. TLX.

When it comes to looks, I think TSX still looks good, not outdated yet. You probably need to change the rims to new 18" though.

When it comes to tech, TSX is outdated compare to TLX.

My final suggestion is if you are going with TSX, try to get the Tech package.

TSX pros
1. (Very) Fun to drive.
2. Timing belt - Chain
3. Made in Japan - Very good fit and finish.

TSX cons
1. Steering have no center, always need to correct even on h-way.
2. Weak A/C system - Not good here in Texas summer.
3. Seat have bad cushioning-I think Honda & Acura in general.

4. Soft exterior metal body panels.

Goodluck!
I don't agree with the bolded though... i think the seat is really nice, and yesterday it was 95 degrees out and the AC kept me nice and cool. are your windows tinted? helps a lot with the heat..
Old 05-20-2015, 03:11 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

I find the A/C to be just fine too, although I have a 2013. RCJD you might wanna get your A/C checked. I also thought the seats were crap, but this was due to them being incorrectly adjusted. Find some time to adjust them properly and they should be fine.

I also experience that dead-zone center you guys are talking about. It gets annoying on longer, straight drives. Otherwise the steering is quite good and direct.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove a 92 accord coupe for 9 years before buying my 2012 tsx in January. Like someone else said pick what's most important to you and look at the cars that fall into that bucket. For me a stick was a must have. That narrowed it down quite a bit. With the field narrowed the styling of the tsx won hands down. I love the car and am so glad I bought it.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap

no push button start

What am I missing out on here?? I have seen & heard this many times over the last couple of years. People using it as a deal breaker. This is a very old technology from the past coming back to the future. I remember we had old Land rovers, Hillman Hunter & Morris Oxford from back in the days with push button start. Honda reintroduce this on the S2000 debut & everybody thinks it the best since slice bread.
wrayman (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by evo9
What am I missing out on here?? I have seen & heard this many times over the last couple of years. People using it as a deal breaker. This is a very old technology from the past coming back to the future. I remember we had old Land rovers, Hillman Hunter & Morris Oxford from back in the days with push button start. Honda reintroduce this on the S2000 debut & everybody thinks it the best since slice bread.
It just annoys me that on a 2010 car it dosen't have it. Family member has a 2007 infiniti and that has it AND proximity entry (best feature ever).
No, its not a deal breaker but it totally should be a standard feature or at the very least an optional feature.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
On paper any generic family sedan is a better choice (Optima, Accord (4cyl), Malibu, Camry etc..). They will be newer, larger, have cheaper maintenance and will have more updated technology. But if you care about driving, none of those are even choices. I drove all the Accord trims (they had a CPO TSX at the Honda dealer before I purchased mine that I drove), and had a Mazda 6 before I got the TSX. On paper the TSX was worse (it even had less tech then my older Mazda 6), but it terms of putting smiles on my face, there was no competition.

Last edited by VR1; 05-20-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VR1
On paper any generic family sedan is a better choice (Optima, Accord (4cyl), Malibu, Camry etc..). They will be newer, larger, have cheaper maintenance and will have more updated technology. But if you care about driving, none of those are even choices. I drove all the Accord trims (they had a CPO TSX at the Honda dealer before I purchased mine that I drove), and had a Mazda 6 before I got the TSX. On paper the TSX was worse (it even had less tech then my older Mazda 6), but it terms of putting smiles on my face, there was no competition.
Thanks for all the replies and thank you for this reply especially. I want a car that is fun to drive. I don't need a 6cyl sports car, so this will do fine. The tech is dated, but its enough for me and I have a cellphone air vent mount that I can use for my GPS.

I still feel the average price for a used tsx (2011-2013) with an average of mid 25k on it needs to come down... I know it's entry level lux but practicality comes into mind with again: newer, more tech, less maintenance on a newer sedan.

I have a lot to think about!
The following 2 users liked this post by Eggs999bacon:
VR1 (05-21-2015), xtcnrice (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

I think you'll be able to find one cheaper than 25k... mine was 21k 2 years ago. Although it did have more miles.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Good luck OP. Hopefully you end up joining us
Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Somehow I can't warm up to the TLX. I hear the complaints about the steering feel (quite similar to most any electric steering out there) but that isn't anything compared to virtually any US luxo-barge.

Outdated tech? The nav gets me to where I'm going just like any other on-board nav. It doesn't have the cutesy graphics (and the database can't be as up-to-date as a Garmin or smartphone but it is integrated well and easy to use. My passenger can use it while the car is moving.

Seats? Like others have said, settings are key. I found them pretty comfy until I lost 45lbs. Then I thought they were uncomfortable - until I readjusted them.

Every couple of years I used to get a new car bug. When the Mercedes driver behind me decided he wanted to play bumper cars a few years back, I replaced that TSX with another. Quite simply, I've found it to be the perfect balance of utility (it IS a wagon after all), frugality (decent MPGs, low maintenance costs), reliability (nothing important ever breaks - unlike my twice as expensive BMW) and it is fun to drive - maybe not in a Porsche/Corvette kind of way but it certainly beats most of the direct competition.

Now, with the newest addition to our family (a German Shepherd), I find the car even more useful - what is the competition now? A 3 series wagon, an E wagon, an Outback?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I had a couple Chevy Impalas prior to my TSX. I had an 01 LS and an 06 LTZ. They were snoozemobiles, and this is coming from a guy with a green 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4 door! My Cutlass was way more fun to drive, and, sadly enough, has pretty much the same technology.

I was set on a 3G TL. Drove an 07 and 08. Was all ready to do the paperwork on the 08 and call it a day. I was walking back toward the building with the sales guy and as I passed this black TSX, I peeked inside to see the glorious 6 speed shifter protruding from the console.

Is this seriously a manual?? Can you get the keys for this one too please?

After my little test drive, I signed the papers on the TSX instead of the TL.

It has what I want, doesn't have what I don't need, and it is just so damn fun to drive. It has been stuplidly reliable, way more so than the GM lovelies I had previously lived with. I still love the design of the car, after the four years I have had it.

I just rolled 125,000 miles on it this week. The true test, is I ask myself if I would buy another, given the choice. I would. (But maybe a different color than the black. It takes a lot of work but damn, it looks good!)
The following 3 users liked this post by damaged442:
ceb (05-21-2015), kurtatx (05-22-2015), xtcnrice (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Got my 2010 TSX (base) in September of 2013 for 23k and it had 28k miles on it when i got it....

Originally Posted by iCrap
I think you'll be able to find one cheaper than 25k... mine was 21k 2 years ago. Although it did have more miles.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by damaged442
I had a couple Chevy Impalas prior to my TSX. I had an 01 LS and an 06 LTZ. They were snoozemobiles, and this is coming from a guy with a green 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4 door! My Cutlass was way more fun to drive, and, sadly enough, has pretty much the same technology.

I was set on a 3G TL. Drove an 07 and 08. Was all ready to do the paperwork on the 08 and call it a day. I was walking back toward the building with the sales guy and as I passed this black TSX, I peeked inside to see the glorious 6 speed shifter protruding from the console.

Is this seriously a manual?? Can you get the keys for this one too please?

After my little test drive, I signed the papers on the TSX instead of the TL.

It has what I want, doesn't have what I don't need, and it is just so damn fun to drive. It has been stuplidly reliable, way more so than the GM lovelies I had previously lived with. I still love the design of the car, after the four years I have had it.

I just rolled 125,000 miles on it this week. The true test, is I ask myself if I would buy another, given the choice. I would. (But maybe a different color than the black. It takes a lot of work but damn, it looks good!)
Talk about constant corrections on the highway... Those luxo-barges (your '77 included) had no idea what steering feel was.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggs999bacon
Hello,

How do you feel about your tsx and how it stacks up with newer models? I will probably finance a tsx and keep it for at least 7 years. I just don't want to regret it down the road, end up trading it in during the financing months and lose out.

In the end, I love the tsx and always stop in my tracks to check on out in a parking lot. So, what do you all think I should do? I would love to purchase a new car soon to enjoy it in the summer months (plus, I own a 2001 suv that I have had enough of. It has been my only car I have ever had lol).

Thanks for the advice!
My TSX has been very reliable and I still think it looks good after 6+years. But then again personally there are many older Acura models that still look very good. Acura's age very well in my opinion.

It sounds like you really like the TSX. Just keep in mind that it is an older model and doesn't have the latest tech like "SmartKey" access/start, LED lighting, Blind-spot warning, etc.

If you can live without those things then by all means go for it.

Btw, I would get a non-tech and then upgrade the sound system to a Nav unit with reverse camera. There is a thread about that somewhere on the site.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 05-22-2015 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CybrRdr:
Eggs999bacon (05-23-2015), xtcnrice (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 04:47 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evo9
My problem is what do you do with the key fob with push button start. It's bulky and uncomfortable in my pocket. So do I take it out, put it in a cubby, then forget about it and lock my self out of the car? Besides starting the car with the key is hardly a hassle.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
My TSX has been very reliable and I still think it looks good after 6+years. But then again personally there are many older Acura models that still look very good. Acura's age very well in my opinion.

100% agreed....
Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by wrayman

100% agreed....
And God knows they last. Love mine, too.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OP,
You remind me a lot of myself when i was in the market for a new car. Granted this was over a # of years. My old clunker was on its last legs and i was considering getting a 07 Accord coupe, then the then re-designed for 08 Accord coupe. Didn't work out so I ended up leasing a car for two years. When I gave the car back, i looked at other cars but ultimately end up leasing again for another 2 years then drove a spare family car for a # of years. Fast forward to 2014, and i was considering the 2013 or 2014 Accord Sport. Nice looks, nice rims. Wasn't too fond of the 4 speaker sound system and the dash layout. I guess me and the Accord weren't meant to be. FF to late 2014, and I was looking at the TLX. It really came down to that or getting a used TSX. While the TLX has newer tech, push start, rear view camera(was only considering base), the TSX still looked good despite being on the road since 09. Plus I saved a big chunk of money going for the used TSX rather than buying new with the TLX. Had some bumps along the way with the TSX but i think it's all good now.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
After almost six years and 87,000 miles, I'd say I have a love/hate relationship with my TSX. When I bought it new in 2009, I wanted something more fun-to-drive than a typical family sedan, and I needed a break from European "reliability." On those fronts, the TSX has delivered extremely well. The chassis dymanics are excellent for a FWD sedan, the 6MT is phenomenal, and it has enough room and comfort to excel at family road trip duty. As a daily driver and family car, it's great, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a better driver's car than current mainstream sedans like the Accord Sport and Mazda 6. It's had a couple of minor issues, but reliability has been excellent.

Even so, as a sport sedan it falls a little short, mostly because of the numb steering and relative lack of midrange punch. For overtaking on the highway, it isn't even remotely close to cars with turbos or V6's (unless of course you get a V6 TSX). Yes, it's fun to drive, but nowhere near true sport sedans or sport compacts (Focus ST, GTI, etc.). Like Consumer Reports used to say, the TSX lies between mainstream cars and sport sedans.

Despite this, I'm very happy I bought the TSX, and based on your needs I think it would be an excellent choice. Just know that if you wan't a real driver's car, you'd be better off with a sport compact, and newer ones like the Focus ST and GTI offer refinement comparable to the TSX. I've tested a few Focus ST's, and I swear it rides just as well as my TSX, and might even be quieter on the highway.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
I would have gotten a GTI tbh, but it's still nowhere as reliable or cheap to maintain as the TSX. OP, if you want a car that's somewhat fun to drive, reliable, good on gas, and won't break the bank, the TSX is a good option. Those are the main words I've seen mentioned when most TSX owners bought the car.