Acura TSX Sport Wagon Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Welcome!

The dog barrier will fit. As long as it is meant for an Accord Tourer that is 2009 or newer.

Definitely drive one of these if you're remotely thinking about it, the reviewers honestly make me wonder if they didn't bother driving it and using it as a wagon.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Welcome!

The dog barrier will fit. As long as it is meant for an Accord Tourer that is 2009 or newer.

Definitely drive one of these if you're remotely thinking about it, the reviewers honestly make me wonder if they didn't bother driving it and using it as a wagon.
Thanks, I had a short test drive last spring but bought a Triumph Street Triple instead! Now I'm back to new car thinking.

I also see this dog guard for the Accord that may fit. Does the TSX Wagon have those receptacles in the roof pillars as seen in these photos?
Amazon Amazon

Tim
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Angry No adaptive cruise control

I am interested in buying a wagon (not an SUV) with adaptive cruise control. The Acura TSX wagon meets my needs otherwise but does not offer the adaptive cruise control on this model. I find that a curious lack in a luxury brand, especially when this is the only wagon they offer. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Another TSX Wagon owner here

Hello all.

I bought the 2012 Wagon last October. I was too slow and indecisive to get the last 2011 (the one with a spare tire).

I wanted to introduce myself sooner, but 2 months after buying the wagon, it suffered a hit and run.

Someone pulled in too wide next to the parked wagon and dented the door, removed some paint, and left sweeping bumper marks. That really took the wind out of my sails... and any enthusiasm to post.

The wagon is all repaired now, and my wife (primary driver) and I find the wagon lives up to all the reviews and comments in this awesome thread.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by crutschow
I am interested in buying a wagon (not an SUV) with adaptive cruise control. The Acura TSX wagon meets my needs otherwise but does not offer the adaptive cruise control on this model. I find that a curious lack in a luxury brand, especially when this is the only wagon they offer. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
The only Acura with adaptive cruise control is the RL, and that is an option. I don't mind using my eyes.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The only Acura with adaptive cruise control is the RL, and that is an option. I don't mind using my eyes.
And the only wagon in the US with adaptive cruise that I can think of is the Mercedes E350 wagon.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post MotorTrend

I'm in month 8 of my ownership experience and thus far it's been a satisfying experience. This month however, the purple wagon takes a detour into the carpool zone, compliments of Ed Sanchez, Motor Trend's news director.

Sanchez was interested in using it to commute from Orange County to Los Angeles county and needed a suitable ride to get him and his carpooling coworkers to and from MT HQ, so I loaned him my ride for a week for some adventure and this is what he came back with.

This clever hatchback seems like a wagon enthusiast's dream come true, especially in a market where so few manufactures are willing to bring over their Euro-market 'estates.' Many of my fellow staffers have gushed with praise for Acura's entry-level hauler, and as an unabashed fan of wagons and hatches, I was prepared to heap more praise on the pile. But after living with it and driving it for more than a week, I'm not quite as bowled over by Acura's front- drive wagon.

Though the car is not underpowered, a few more horses sure would enhance the chassis' robust capabilities but, regardless, it's nice to see that Acura continues to strive for refinement in their engines sounds. I found the 4-cylinder engine surprisingly vocal; the 4 cylinder makes lots of precise, mechanical noises that will delight most.

Small nitpicks that hopefully Acura will address soon: No push button start, and turn signals that don't auto blink 3 times when tapped. All luxury items that most of its competitive set offer as standard. For the reason one usually buys a wagon -- utility and people hauling -- the TSX proves to be a compelling carpooler. Some recent jaunts up and down Southern California's 405 freeway provided lots of feedback from backseat passengers. While all agreed the seats themselves were comfortable, and even after a courtesy scoot-up of the drive the seat, I had a few backseaters say that kneeroom was too snug. Even so, I wish not for the wagon to be bigger, the size is just right. Rather, maybe Acura can carve out another inch of knee room on their next upgrade to this Euro Accord platform. Much appreciated are the car's lack of blind spots. Changing lanes can be done in confidence with minimum interference from the A- and B-pillars, and it's easy to see everything in front, to the side, and behind.

But ultimately, for those attracted to its understated, Euro-flavored proportions and style, the TSX wagon does reward the driver with razor-sharp firm steering and handling responses, and a generally lively and sporting driving experience. Less-diplomatic passengers described the ride as harsh or choppy but those with an enthusiastic bent will probably feel it's just right. Add to all this the car's ability to swiftly change gears with its steering wheel mounted paddles and without a doubt Acura has a unique product on hand, one flush with an athletic soul, yet happy to run as a shuttle day in and out.

So there you have it, the Acura TSX wagon proves to be a suitable sled for the freeway madness that is SoCal, plus it shall not shy away from a chance to run free in the nearby mountains. Mr. Sanchez's suggestion to me? Put some of Mugen coilovers in it, and then go rip up Temescal Canyon. Might just do that....

Our Car
Months/miles in service 8/19,692 mile
Avg econ/CO2 25.3 mpg/0.77 lb/mi
Energy cons 133 kW-hr/100 mi
Unresolved problems None
Maintenance cost $224.16
Normal-wear cost $0

Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

But ultimately, for those attracted to its understated, Euro-flavored proportions and style, the TSX wagon does reward the driver with razor-sharp firm steering and handling responses, and a generally lively and sporting driving experience. Less-diplomatic passengers described the ride as harsh or choppy but those with an enthusiastic bent will probably feel it's just right.

This car is hardly choppy or harsh. It's barely firm. Who are these people? Buick drivers?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

This car is hardly choppy or harsh. It's barely firm. Who are these people? Buick drivers?
Coming from the 335 with the sport package, the ride is luxo-barge smooth. Coming from an older Lexus, the ride is harsh.

It is all about perspective.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Post InsideLine

There were plenty of questions on the table when our long-term 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon arrived. There was the typical, "Is it better than a small SUV?" Then there was the size issue. Is it too small of a wagon to be truly useful? And finally, we were curious if a 3,600-pound, 201-horsepower wagon could really be considered sporty.

We knew there would be baggage attached to any wagon that entered the fleet. Sure, we like the idea of a wagon and all, but we're well aware that most consumers don't, at least in the U.S. Time to see if times have changed at all.

Keep It Simple
The pricing structure for Acura products is simple. There are no options. Rather, the cars are grouped by trim level. In the case of the 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon, there are two.

Standard equipment on the TSX Base was a 201-hp, 2.4-liter iVTEC four-cylinder engine, paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission. Leather seating, numerous airbags, a moonroof and Bluetooth capability were among its notable features. Step up to the TSX Tech to add navigation, a back-up camera, AcuraLink real-time traffic and weather, ELS surround-sound system, dual-zone climate control and a power liftgate.

We selected a 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Tech to make sure it was a little more road-trip-worthy. It carried an MSRP of $35,470 including destination charges. If a wagon was ever going to have a chance, this was it.

Looks and Feels
Within the confines of its cabin our TSX was visually impressive. Ebony leather, matte chrome trims and textured plastics gave a sense of refinement and taste to the Acura. Generally, the interior was well assembled and of high quality. The finger pointers on our staff were giddy over the button-laden center stack and steering wheel. But they were in the minority. The number of buttons bordered on excessive. Yet with practice, everyone found them easy to use.

There was decent cabin space, too. One editor complimented the TSX with, "There is much more space in the cargo area than I expected. I didn't need an SUV after all. The 4 of us fit our luggage in the back, although there was little room to spare." Those under 6 feet tall found this sense of spaciousness extended to passenger legroom in all positions. Anyone taller will complain of legroom limitations in the second row.

Short trips in the TSX were effortless. It was over the long haul that its driver seat left some wanting more. Engineering Editor Jason Kavanagh wrote, "The seat sucks. Scratch that — the part that sucks is that damned sitting-in-a-pregnant-lady's-lap aspect that comes courtesy of the stupid, stupid, balloony lumbar lump that's right in the middle of your back. Why this lump continues to exist in Honda products remains a seating mystery." Another driver added, "My back hurt for about half of my 6-hour trip. The driver seatback cushion is a little squooshy — I wish it was firmer. Also, I wish the seat bottom cushion was extendable so I could have a little more thigh support."

Technology features set our 2011 Acura TSX apart from the Base model. The navigation system did not miss a beat. The car's ELS stereo was among the best we've tested, leading one editor to say, "The system exceeded my expectations — not just for a wagon, but judged against OEM audio in any type of vehicle. It accomplished what few systems can. It made me want to hit the road and crank my music."

The Bluetooth pairing process didn't receive the same level of praise. The combination of voice commands and button-pushing made the simple act of pairing a phone clumsy. Most folks will not have to link their phones every time they get into the car as we do, but it still shouldn't take as much time and effort as it does in the TSX.

Dynamic Impressions
Long-term test cars with any semblance of utility ascend the popularity pyramid quickly. Road-trip requests are commonplace. It was here on the road that we learned more about the dynamic character of this sport wagon.

Perhaps the biggest psychological hurdle working against the 2011 Acura TSX was its self-described status as a sport wagon. Senior Editor Erin Riches explained, "There's a lot more isolation built into the Acura, and while that keeps things comfortable, it's hard to get a read on what's happening through either the steering wheel or driver seat. Obviously, this isn't critical for safety or sanity, but the lack of feedback sure is boring. Add in a moderate helping of body roll and you're left with a family cruiser that could only be called a sport wagon by the loosest definition."

At freeway speeds the 4-cylinder rarely felt underpowered. There's not much low-end torque, but its torque curve remains flat even as the engine revs climb. At the top end it even sounded nice, unlike the thrashy note of some competitive 4-cylinders. We appreciated the TSX's manual shift mode and steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles, but the lack of rev-matching made for some awkward downshifts.

Cargo Capacity
The appeal of our sport wagon over a standard TSX was, obviously, the easily accessible cargo space. A look at the numbers shows that the 2011 Acura TSX offers 25.8 cubic feet of space behind its rear seats, which was comparable to most CUVs. Fold the seatbacks flat and its 60.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity settled around the middle of the crossover pack. We found the amount of cargo space ample for most of our needs.

"There's plenty of room for the 65-pound pooch. I can't say that about our Mini Countryman or Nissan Juke," read one blog entry. Another added, "The 2nd-row seats don't fold completely flat, but Acura makes up for it with 3 bins beneath the rear load floor."

Steel tie-downs for stowed gear were also welcomed. We loaded big-screen TVs, luggage and bicycles into the TSX with ease. If we had a critique it was regarding the lack of remote release handles for the 2nd-row seats. Some of our staff are high maintenance and the need to fold the seats via levers on the seatbacks was too "old-school" for them.

Minimal Maintenance
As the mileage accumulated, our TSX required normal maintenance. Over the span of our 12-month test we spent roughly $230 on preventative items, namely oil changes and tire rotations. It was worth it, too, as the Acura didn't leave us stranded, ever.

Only once did we visit the dealer for anything beyond the routine check-ups at 10,000 and 15,000 miles. A windshield chip grew to a crack and needed replacement. Since we borrowed the TSX from Acura, aftermarket glass was not an option. We paid a hefty $1,300 for Santa Monica Acura to install our new windshield, fresh from the factory.

Cost To Own
Maintenance costs were reasonable for the 2011 Acura TSX during our test. We spent less than $20 a month for the routine items. Fuel costs would be higher if we ran the TSX strictly on the recommended premium gasoline, but we didn't. We noticed negligible differences in fuel economy based on our driving patterns. That said, our best single tank of fuel was nearly 33 mpg, which covered more than 500 miles. The EPA rates highway fuel economy at 30 mpg. We averaged 24.6 mpg over 20,000 miles of testing, matching EPA estimations.

Each test ends with a pass through Edmunds' TMV® Calculator. No exceptions here. The TSX Sport Wagon depreciated 21% from its original MSRP based on a private-party sale. In our experience, this is slightly better than average.

Where Does It Fit?
After 20,000 miles with the 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon we found ourselves still searching to find its personality. On some levels the TSX was competitive, whereas on others it was merely average. It was a solid choice, but struggled to develop enough character to distinguish itself.

The 2.4-liter engine was merely adequate, as was the 5-speed transmission. Its handling was respectable, yet the steering lacked the feel and feedback of a car with sporting intentions. Early on we decided the Sport connotation did not belong on this wagon. We feel the same way now. Still, it made up for performance limitations with simple comfort items.

An excellent stereo and quiet, compliant ride made it a nice place to be on long trips, even if the driver seat did not conform to all tastes. Fuel economy showed moments of brilliance. Build quality was very good. And resale value measured up to the rest of the pack. A little more sport would be nice, but apart from that this TSX wagon is exactly what we expected it would be — an excellent SUV alternative for those who don't care to ride high and guzzle gas.

Total Body Repair Costs: None
Total Routine Maintenance Costs: $227.72 (over 12 months)
Additional Maintenance Costs: $1,323,62
Warranty Repairs: None
Non-Warranty Repairs: Replaced windshield with factory glass
Scheduled Dealer Visits: 2
Unscheduled Dealer Visits: 1
Days Out of Service: None
Breakdowns Stranding Driver: None

Best Fuel Economy: 32.5 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 18.9 mpg
Average Fuel Economy: 24.6 mpg

True Market Value at service end: $27,880 (private party sale)
Depreciation: $7,590 (or 21% of original MSRP)
Final Odometer Reading: 20,010 miles
The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.

Last edited by TSX69; 04-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I enjoyed Edmunds' long term-test more than MotorTrend's. Edmunds goes into greater detail, has better photos, and ran a great suspension walk-around.

MotorTrend seems to struggle for something to say. And the "let's make the Wagon look fast by blurring the background" photos were, while cool, way overdone.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Safety Car

Post Truth About Cars

So, you want a small, practical wagon with a little bit of Euro flair and luxury pretensions. Unless you’re willing to mix with the rabble in a VW, what are your options? Volvo V50? Dead. Audi A3? Not much time left before it’s discontinued in the USA. Mercedes C-Class. Try the BMW 3-Series Wagon if you want something German.

Everyone knows that Acura products share Honda DNA, but none are so thinly veiled as the TSX sedan and TSX Sport Wagon. While badge engineering has caused decades of problems for General Motors, Acura’s tactic actually makes sense. You see, the TSX is the European version of the Honda Accord (which thankfully shares essentially nothing with the overweight American Accord). While it would have been cheaper to have just imported the Euro Accord as a Honda wagon (they wouldn’t have even had to swap badges), the Accord in Europe competes with more lofty brands than in America.

Exterior

For Acura duty, the only change made to the “Accord Tourer” was grafting the Acura beak onto the existing front bumper molds. Since bumper itself didn’t change, the TSX wears the smallest beak of the family, and honestly, looking at pictures of the enormous logo the Touring wears, the TSX is more attractive. The overall form of the TSX is thoroughly modern, in an angular Cadillac-ish kind of way. The slanted hatchback and rear windows that decrease in size as they head rearward attempt to distract from the fact that the TSX is indeed a station wagon. Acura added a splash of chrome trim around the windows and roof rails so you’ll look trendy and sophisticated on your way to the board meeting with your surfboard on top. While the BMW 3-Series wagon is decidedly handsome, the TSX provides firm competition in the looks department.

Interior

While the dashboard is suitably squishy, some interior plastics are less than luxurious. Haptic quibbles aside, the color palate is what gave me pause. Our tester looked as if it was carved out of a single black piece of plastic. Admittedly it is a nice piece of plastic, and the attention to detail is worthy of any luxury marque. However, I found the monochromatic interior oppressive after a while. The only way to avoid this black-on-black-on-black theme is to buy a red or white TSX (they come with a “taupe” interior). Although the dashboard remains black, the lighter leather makes the TSX a far more appealing place to spend your time. Want a red car with a black interior? That’s not on Acura’s menu. The TSX redeems itself with a low starting price of $31,360, undercutting the 328i wagon by over 6-grand. For the price, I’m willing to overlook some less-than-swish door trim. Speaking of trim, base model TSXs get fake wood trim while the upscale “Technology Package” add fake metal trim. While neither faux option is “fauxin” anyone, the wood trim makes the interior a touch more upscale by helping break up the vast expanses of black.

Infotainment/Tech

Acura has long had a reputation for gadgets and buttons and the TSX is no different. Base models come standard with a bevy of features that are optional on other near-luxury brands. Standard features include: xenon headlamps, 17-inch alloy wheels, sunroof, heated seats, dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth phone integration and a 360-watt, 7-speaker audio system with USB/iPod integration, MP3 compatible CD player and XM radio. There is only one option available, the “Technology Package” which may seem pricy at $3,650, (bringing the total up to $35,010) but it adds a decent amount of kit. In addition to GPS navigation, a 460-watt, 10-speaker sound system with DVD-audio and iPod voice control is also included. The voice command system is a bit less intuitive than Ford’s SYNC, but just as functional allowing you to select playlists, tracks, artists, etc by voice command. Also included in the package is GPS-linked climate control that tracks the sun, power tailgate, backup camera, and XM data services like weather, traffic, etc. My only quibble with Acura’s infotainment system is that it still has not integrated very fully with the rest of the vehicle like BMW’s iDrive. This means that vehicle settings and trip information are solely in the gauge cluster which means more buttons and more menus to learn and navigate.

Drivetrain

Acura has no illusions of run-away TSX Sport Wagon sales. This Acura is destined for a lifetime of good reviews gushing about how exciting wagons are, followed by slow sales. As a result, the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine is the only engine on offer. If you need more than the 4-pot’s 201HP and 170lb-ft of torque, you’ll need to look at the TSX sedan or to another brand. While sedan buyers can row-their-own, Acura’s 5-speed automatic is the only cog swapper available in the wagon. Acura does include paddle shifters, but the transmission shifts too leisurely to make their use enjoyable and steadfastly refuses to shift to 1st unless you’re traveling at a snail’s pace. Fortunately, the transmission’s software is well suited to the car and leaving it in D or S is more rewarding and lower effort. As with the 2.4L equipped sedan, the wagon is neither slow nor particularly fast, scooting to 60 in 7.5 seconds.

Drive

Acura tuned the TSX’s suspension to be a good balance between road holding and highway cruising, but this is no soft wagon. Out on the road the TSX shines with a tight and willing chassis and excellent Michelin Pilot tires. The combo is eager to tackle any mountain road you might pit it against. Unfortunately the lack of power and lazy 5-speed automatic conspire against the chassis making the TSX something of a mixed bag when the going gets twisty, especially uphill. The TSX’s power steering is quick and fairly communicative, a rarity in this age of numb tillers.

During my week with the TSX I ended up taking an impromptu road trip to southern California. The TSX proved an excellent highway cruiser delivering 27-28 MPG on the open highway at 75MPH. The TSX’s combination of good looks, good reliability and simple pricing make the TSX Sport Wagon a smart choice for those that are practical and frugal. While the BMW wagon has yet to land on our shores for a comparison test, you can bet it will deliver more style, more luxury, and a much larger price tag. The only fly in this cargo hauler’s ointment is the s0-called wagon tax. As you might expect, the base wagon is $1,350 more than the base sedan. What you wouldn’t expect is that by simply checking the only option available on the wagon, this delta increases to $1,900. Yikes.

Acura provided the vehicle, insurance and one tank of gasoline for this review.

0-30: 2.8 Seconds

0-60: 7.5 Seconds

1/4 Mile: 16 Seconds @ 83.5MPH

Observed Fuel Economy: 26.8MPG over 1207 miles
Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Given the plethora of buttons on the steering wheel and dash, I find it odd that they didn't include a mute/pause button anywhere.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Post Cnet

3* out of 5*

The good: The 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon offers extremely useful interior space and easy drivability. The ELS audio system produces excellent sound, and the navigation system includes Zagat listings for restaurants.

The bad: The voice command system does not offer dial by name with a paired phone's contact list, and the navigation system maps only show 2D views. The transmission only has five gears.

The bottom line: A comfortable and practical car boasting decent fuel economy, the 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon offers a few high-tech features in the cabin, but the engine and transmission are trapped in the last decade.
MSRP: $31,360.00 Low Price: $31,360.00

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price From Edmunds.com
$31,360.00 See it
There was a time when every major automaker had not 1, but many wagons in their model lineups. It was the essential car for the family, offering the big bench seats of a sedan along with voluminous space at the rear for picnic food, camping equipment, beach toys, or even a few more passengers in jump seats.

Now, wagons are as rare as drive-in theaters, the task of family hauler taken over by minivans the size of cargo containers. Has the obesity problem gotten that bad?

Acura does not seem to think so, as the company has 1 of the few wagons on the market, in the form of the 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon. Similar to those wagons of old, the Sport Wagon is based on an existing sedan model, the 4-cylinder TSX. As such, there are few mechanical differences between the 2, and few in the electronics, as well.

Simply calling a car a wagon seems to be anathema for marketers today, so this Acura model is named Sport Wagon, similar to the only other car left in the class, the VW SportWagen. But the only way this Acura can lay claim to being sporty is by comparing it to a Ford Country Squire. Although the TSX Sport Wagon boasts paddle shifters, Acura's V-6 and Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system would have given it greater claim to a performance label.

As it is, Acura manages to get 201 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque from the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, partly because of the magic of VTEC, Honda's variable valve technology. The TSX Sport Wagon, even carrying 129 pounds over its sedan sibling, does not feel slow, making good use of that 201 horsepower.

Beating the EPA estimate
Over a 600-mile road trip, I found the TSX Sport Wagon eminently practical, very simple to drive to the point of boring, and filled with good, but not cutting-edge, technologies. 1 area where the TSX Sport Wagon excelled was in fuel economy. Acura's EPA tests rate it at 22 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, but after miles and miles of freeway driving, at speeds around 70 mph, the car came through with 31.2 mpg, well over the highway estimate.

The good amount of space in the car helped make the trip enjoyable, the rear wagon space accessible through the wide rear hatch ready to be filled up with any number of suitcases and other luggage. Of course the rear seats fold down to increase the cargo area, but, sadly, we are past the era of rear jump seats in wagons. Being an Acura, leather covered the seats, and the front row was power adjustable. The cabin materials feel good, exhibiting quality, but nothing in the TSX Sport Wagon screams luxury. It feels more like a high-trim Honda.

The ELS audio system seems tuned for light rock, but tweaking the equalizer leads to strong bass.
(Credit: Josh Miller/CNET)

Still, 1 thing in particular sets this car apart from its nonpremium co-brand, the ELS audio system, of which I made good use during the long hours pounding down the freeway. 8 speakers and a 360-watt amp do not sound like the ingredients for a top-end automotive sound system, but a lot comes down to the quality of the tuning. This system delivered clear, distinct sound no matter what kind of music I fed it. The ELS tuning favors lighter, acoustic music, but adjusting the bass and subwoofer levels gave it enough thump for my purposes.

I also had a lot of options for music in the car, from the onboard hard drive to which I had ripped a few CDs, to streaming music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. Although for the most part I relied on the USB port, using that to plug in and play music from the iPhone and a USB drive. Using the iPhone was excellent, as I could use the car's interface to browse music by album, artist, genre, and track, or just hit the voice command button and ask for music by album or artist. This system is more primitive with the USB drive, not including a voice command interface over it, and only showing the music library in the folder and file structure of the drive.

All-inclusive Tech package
That ELS audio system can only be had as part of the Tech package, which includes a navigation system with live traffic, Zagat listings in the points of interest database, and weather reports. The external data comes in courtesy of satellite radio. Honda is in the process of updating its cars with the new HondaLink app integration service, and I would expect Acura to get something similar, but nothing yet has been announced.

The Tech package adds an LCD at the top of the center stack, along with a dial and many, many buttons to control all the electronics. This interface in the car is not well integrated, and mostly feels like an addition to the dashboard of a non-navigation-equipped TSX. Where this clumsy interface really shows through is with the voice command buttons, stacked on the lower-left area of the steering wheel. The top set activates voice command for the Bluetooth phone system, and the bottom set let me access navigation and stereo voice commands.

The navigation system in the TSX Sport Wagon uses a hard drive to store its maps, but only shows 2D views.

Acura's navigation system uses bright and colorful maps, but they only show in a 2D format, either in the direction of the car or North up. The route guidance graphics were useful, showing lane guidance for freeway junctions. I also found it easy to enter destinations, either searching the points of interest database or using voice command to input an address. 1 thing I particularly like about Acura's voice command system is that all the available commands are shown on the car's LCD at each step.

The most surprising miss by Acura in the cabin tech is that I could not use voice command to place calls to people from my phone's contact list. The car showed the contact list from my paired phone on its LCD, but I would have had to manually voice tag numbers to get voice command for any contacts at all. This Bluetooth phone system is actually a legacy from the non-navigation-equipped model, which Acura does not bother to upgrade with the Tech package.

Ready to drive
As I mentioned above, the TSX Sport Wagon drives easy. I merely put it in drive for city and freeway driving, and away we went. The car uses electrically boosted power steering, which lets the wheel turn easily but lessens the power boost for higher speeds, resulting in more-stable freeway driving. The suspension also proved very comfortable for long hours on the freeway, and handled sections of pavement ripped up by big trucks well. I could certainly feel the suspension reacting to pits and potholes, but the body of the car was hardly affected.

That suspension also let me throw the car around a little, taking the occasional hard corner without showing undue body roll. But the TSX Sport Wagon's limits were also obvious, with understeer taking over at moderate cornering speeds. Not surprisingly, the five-speed automatic did not respond overly quickly to my manual gear shifts with the paddles. However, it was not as slow to shift as some torque converter automatics. Acura uses a lock-up system in this transmission to make the gear changes more efficient, more similar to a manual transmission.

Shift paddles peek over the top of the spokes, and many buttons sit just below.

Given the excellent freeway fuel economy I found with the TSX Sport Wagon, this car would not seem to need anymore than its five gears. The 201 horsepower helps in giving each gear a decently wide power band, but the automatic shifts were occasionally more abrupt than they would be in a car with a 6-speed. Going up a hill, the car would often have to shift down to 3rd, which would cause a large rpm change. And heading onto a freeway onramp at one point, the transmission was caught short by sudden punch to the gas, shifting with an unpleasant clunk.

Although I would like to see improvements, such as a 6-speed automatic in the TSX, this generation may be the last of the line. Acura has only committed to selling the car through 2013, and will likely revamp its lineup. And as goes the TSX sedan, so goes the Sport Wagon. Those who appreciate wagons can only hope that Acura introduces one next to a new sedan model with different letters than TSX.
Tech specs
Model 2012 Acura TSX
Trim Sport Wagon
Power train 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, 5-speed automatic transmission
EPA fuel economy 22 mpg city/30 mpg highway
Observed fuel economy 31.2 mpg (freeway-biased driving)
Navigation Optional hard-drive-based with traffic
Bluetooth phone support Standard
Digital audio sources Onboard hard drive, Bluetooth audio streaming, iPod integration, USB drive, satellite radio
Audio system ELS 360-watt 8-speaker audio system
Driver aids Rearview camera
Base price $31,360
Price as tested $35,905
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

This CNET review shows how low the command of the English language has gone.

The 1 thing I noticed right away was that the author used the number 1 to replace the word "one." This led me to believe that the author hasn't graduated from second (or is that 2) grade yet.

Finally, the car is lauded for gas mileage but is dinged for having old tech and only gears.

One can only conclude that the authors first car was whatever his parents bought him and that this was the 1st "other car" that he has ever driven.

Thanks for posting this. It is always nice to see what drivel is out there.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
The comments are even worse: "I have wanted one since they were announced BUT the only interior color is black. Black interior (especially leather) is too sizzling hot. Saab had the best interior with their Parchment color. Dead sun...no sizzle. I bought a Subaru instead."

CNET needs to stick to what they do best, reviewing disposable consumer electronics. Not sure why they even 'review' cars....

btw, not many reviewers mention that the ELS sound system supports DVD-A. DVD-A surround makes CDs sound like mp3 files. You can still find DVD-A on Amazon and eBay. They're pricey but they can take full advantage of the ELS. Well worth it, imho, despite the limited choice of available titles. But with Cirlinca software (PC only, not supported on Linux or Mac) you can author your own DVD-A discs from lossless FLAC files in 24 bit/192kHz. http://cirlinca.com/
Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Turning Japanese:

You'd think a site like CNET would mention such tech things
Old 04-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

InsideLine Reader's Rides - 2012 TSX Wagon

This originally appeared in the now defunct InsideLine website. I'm the author and am reposting it here with some minor updates and additional photos. Wagon lovers, enjoy!

First Impressions
My wife tells me the first thing women notice about men are their shoes. Shoe size not withstanding, she explains that the kind of shoes, and the condition they're in, say a lot about who a man is, and hint at what he hopes to be.

The shoes on our base trim 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon are 17 inch Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. In the Michelin lineup, these tires slot between the MXV4, which lean toward comfort, and the Pilot Sport A/S, which are geared for performance. Does this wagon live up to its luxury sport aspirations?

On the outside, the wagon's overall look is sleek and conservative. You'll find formal creases along the hood and the sides. Chrome door handles and chrome window trim give the wagon an elegant appearance, especially when paired with dark color. Sporty cues show up in the front with fangs on the chin spoiler, on top with aluminum roof rails, and at the tail with dual exhaust pipes and chrome finishers.

Interior
Stepping inside, the driver and passenger are greeted with blue foot-well lighting. The seating position is low, but the wide, perforated leather seats catch you comfortably on your way down. The leather wrapped steering wheel is soft and measures about 14.25 inches in diameter.

"Oh please, is that why you wanted the tape measure?" my wife asked.

I explained the steering ratio is 13.4 to 1. That means one complete revolution of the steering wheel will turn the front tires about 27 degrees (360 divided by 13.4), which I consider on the sporty side. Also, a large steering wheel could feel slow whereas a small steering wheel could feel twitchy; at 14.25 inches, it was just right for me.

None of that mattered to my wife. That the steering wheel was leather wrapped meant that it will feel not-too-cold in winter and not-too-hot in summer. Point taken.

The buttons, however, on the wheel and center stack intimidated my wife. "Too many buttons!"

My eleven year old son piped up from the back seat and disagreed. "It's not too many."

Acura could certainly use some help from Apple designers, but I find the buttons to be logically laid out.

Rear seating is comfortable, but unless you're a kid, getting in and out requires a little turning and twisting. Folding down both rear seats gives my son access to the trunk, which he happily scrambles into. We meet him at the back and open the lift gate. With the seats folded down, cargo space is impressive at 60.5 cubic feet, but intrusions from the rear wheel shock towers might prevent us from making full use of that space. The rear cargo area has interior lighting, but it is still too dark when unloading at night. The lift gate should have lighting as well, so when raised, it would provide overhead illumination. A nice touch is that the lift gate has two grab handles, one for righties and one for lefties (my son is a lefty).

Worth noting is that the 2011 wagon has a temporary spare underneath the cargo floor, but the 2012 wagon trades it for an air compressor, netting more cargo space and some weight reduction. The air compressor has two modes – one to pump sealant and one to pump air. If that's not reassuring enough (it wasn't for me), the 2012 wagon also comes with 4 years road side assistance from Acura. And if you still prefer a spare (I'll consider it in 4 years), one is available as an option.

Performance
The wagon weighs in at 3600 pounds, and under the hood, there are 201 horses to pull it. This results in a weight to power ratio of 17.9. For comparison:
1997 Honda Odyssey = 23.8
1987 Acura Integra = 21.3
2012 Acura TSX Wagon = 17.9
1994 Acura NSX = 11.2
Ok, it's not an NSX, but power is adequate. There is, however, something under the hood that just makes me beam: a beefy strut tower brace! This means the wagon can corner with minimal body lean.

And corner it does. The excellent tires, the wagon's 53/47 front rear weight distribution, and the strut tower brace, let me take corners fast and flat, and can -- kind of, sort of, almost -- keep up with that MINI Cooper S on a twisty road.

Using sport mode and shifting with the paddles, I can keep the engine revving around 4300 rpm where it generates peak torque. Like most enthusiasts, I would have preferred a manual. Unlike most enthusiasts, I can forgive Acura for not making one available. According to Edmund’s, sales of the wagon in 2011 totaled to 3,210 units:

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx-spo...t-in-2011.html

Assuming the average take rate for manuals In the U.S. is 10% -- optimistic, but it makes the math easier -- that would mean Acura would need to set up a production line to manufacture a mere 321 wagons per year!

My wife who can drive a manual, doesn't miss it at all. Ignoring the paddles, she lets the automatic do all the work and finds shifting smooth and the throttle responsive. Combined with good road feel, a relatively quiet cabin, and remarkable visibility all around, the driving experience is quite pleasant. With more amenities than we thought we wanted or needed -- in the base trim no less -- the Acura TSX Sports Wagon is without question upscale and practical. But is it sporty luxury?

We think so, but some may argue the engine needs more power, that the transmission needs a 6 speed manual, and that the cabin should be even more hushed. Fair points to be sure, as a true luxury sports car should be powerful, effortless, and graceful. But that debate misses something very important about the wagon. Before test driving it, my wife had her heart set on an SUV or CUV. That the wagon won her over makes it truly special indeed.

Addendum 4/13/2014
Our wagon currently has 28,000 miles on it. It has had some minor problems, but we still love it:

- bluetooth occasionally gets amnesia, even with the TSB update. We've lost pairing information for an iPhone 4s as well as a Motorola phone running Android Gingerbread.
- the exterior windshield trim became unglued. This was fixed by the dealer at no charge.
- battery died twice. The dealer replaced it at no charge.

Kudos to our Acura dealer for being so responsive. We can live with a little bluetooth flakiness. The things that matter -- engine, transmission -- have been trouble free, and the driving experience remains a high point of the wagon.
Attached Thumbnails Acura TSX Sport Wagon Reviews-school_duty.jpg   Acura TSX Sport Wagon Reviews-errand_runner.jpg   Acura TSX Sport Wagon Reviews-strut_tower_brace.jpg   Acura TSX Sport Wagon Reviews-air_compressor.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by WheelMcCoy:
m13 (04-13-2014), terdonal (04-14-2014), VR1 (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM
m13
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha, do we have the same car? 2012 here with 29,000 miles, and have the Bluetooth issue and also the driver's side windshield trim came unglued last summer which the dealer promptly took care of.
I don't like the stock tires in the rain, slush or snow and will be replacing them with dedicated snows this next winter. But, I love the vehicle still after 2.5 years. Excellent ride, sporty and practical, and comfortable seats and great cargo space for road trips.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m13
Ha, do we have the same car? 2012 here with 29,000 miles, and have the Bluetooth issue and also the driver's side windshield trim came unglued last summer which the dealer promptly took care of.
I don't like the stock tires in the rain, slush or snow and will be replacing them with dedicated snows this next winter. But, I love the vehicle still after 2.5 years. Excellent ride, sporty and practical, and comfortable seats and great cargo space for road trips.
Regarding snow tires, I am thinking the same thing! I'm in the northeast and yeah, this winter was brutal.

The stock Michelins aren't too shabby. They're supposed to have silica so they don't become hockey pucks in the cold. And Car and Driver reviewed them favorably back in 2009:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...hx-mxm4-page-3

But for winters like this past one, dedicated snows are the way to go.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
8th Gear

Nice write up. I feel the same in many of your observations. The wagon has surprisingly less body roll than I thought it would have when taking a turn. I am going to take this to track with some nice sticky tires. Anyone have taken their automatic TSX to track yet?

I hope in the future, if I keep the car, find a chance to put a 6 speed tranny, k20a head, modulo kit. = ultimate wagon + SHAWD = God Wagon.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHugo
Nice write up. I feel the same in many of your observations. The wagon has surprisingly less body roll than I thought it would have when taking a turn. I am going to take this to track with some nice sticky tires. Anyone have taken their automatic TSX to track yet?

I hope in the future, if I keep the car, find a chance to put a 6 speed tranny, k20a head, modulo kit. = ultimate wagon + SHAWD = God Wagon.
Be careful if you do in fact take the car to a track. You'll have no brakes by the third corner.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHugo

I am thinking of running mine on the track stock to how she is. So that when I do brakes, coilovers, wheels, I will have a point of reference.

No bluetooth issues on mine, as is reported on this thread.