AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   2014 TSX 9 months in mini-review (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/2014-tsx-9-months-mini-review-980152/)

Matt Lumpkins 06-11-2019 12:48 AM

2014 TSX 9 months in mini-review

Hey guys. I just had a nice joyride earlier. I wanted to show some appreciation for my TSX.

Ever since I got it, this thing has been a joy to drive. I guess the first thing that caught me about the tsx was the price range. I was looking at Civic Si's first, and almost pulled the trigger on a few. But the TSX for the same price had leather seats, the same HP and same engine (vtec yo) ...I test drove my first TSX and instantly fell in love with the handling. I was instructed to test drive cars like a crazy person in order to know the limits of the car in 10 minutes. The TSX kept up. The model was a special edition and silver, but the body seemed a little aged and it had 80k miles although a great carfax.
I decided to look at one more. It was only 4k more, and a color I lusted, white.

Because I knew that I could put black rims on it and have it look the way I visioned. They wanted about 16.5k and tax and title. I got it for 14.2k out the door. It had been in a wreck, but to this day I still can not tell where the damage has been.

The only thing I have had to do is get the oil changed with full synthetic, use premium gas, and get new wheels, tires, and front brake pads. Everything else is golden. This thing is solid. I drive it so hard and although it is only 201hp horsepower, I feel like I am getting every single horse. The handling and suspension seems to get more power down and keep the ride smooth even when flying over questionable terrain going 60 in a 30.

I can weave through traffic with ease, and sport mode keeps up for the most part. Although the paddle shifters have left me in the red line a few times saying "dude, I pressed the god damn paddle", I still seem to have pretty good control downshifting. And I like how it wont let me do idiotic downshifts. Sometimes that is disappointing but I am still stoked about everything. Most of the time I just cruise in D and I still get the power I need. Even when I am being unassuming and lame, I still feel satisfied to drive this car. Even going 80 feels like I am going about 50. It is a smooth ride. Yeah there is some road noise which I have heard it get bad tallies for, but that does not matter to me because I have another upgrade I would like to talk to you about.

The stock audio unit is questionable. No screen, no backup cam, no gps (unless you get tech package but mine was base) and I have seen it get bad marks for that as well. So I decided to replace the audio head with a Sony AX1000 with Apple Carplay and Android auto. That changed everything. Having Carplay has been a luxury and I feel content like I have everything I need. Well Almost. I had a friend install two 10s with an amp for $140 installed. He works at Toyota. He said it is better than Honda.

I also have added 17 inch wheels from CarId.com.. They are Matte so they seem to get dirty easy, but for the price they have really been nice, and they still look and feel good despite a couple k miles and a few curb checks. I got htem for 500. I have Toyo HPs on all for wheels as well. For the price, they really get good traction and handling, even in questionable rain conditions like in my city, Dallas ( aka new seattle ) so yeah.

I think my favorite thing about this car is the handling. Also the downshift from 2nd to 1st going about 20mph. Oh and for the amount of power, handling, style, and overall sporty yet realistic package, I still get decent gas mileage. I average about 20mpg when driving unassuming yet spirited. Driving aggressive, ass-holey, and damned, I get about 16mpg. I use shell nitro+ only, but lately I have been using cheaper premium to see how it does, and so far so good. Actually on a cheap, seemily shitty quality station, I got better gas mileage than Shell.. So I am going to keep messing with that.

If anyone has any questions about this car, and are on a budget and considering a TSX, feel free to message me any time. I would vouch that I could not have found a better car for 14k!!!!! For a broke, too old too be college student, this car makes me feel like a rock star. People in BMW's and other REAL sport cars check me out all the time and even try to race me ( haha ) and man, I just feel proud to get up in the morning and walk in to this thing. The design is sleek, sexy, but modest. I love the tail end, by the way.

Thanks everyone. More to come. I am thinking about doing a video review. Have you ever watched "The Straight Pipes" on youtube? Badass car reviewers!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ce6cf91f66.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3f5ce70f18.png

wrayman 06-12-2019 08:52 AM

What a great review, so nice to read all the positives these cars have. My '09 has been super solid and ultimately more comfortable and FUN than my previous TL-S ( Whatta great car !! )
The "ass-holey" comment is right on, made me laugh, LOL.

Matt Lumpkins 06-12-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by wrayman (Post 16438691)
What a great review, so nice to read all the positives these cars have. My '09 has been super solid and ultimately more comfortable and FUN than my previous TL-S ( Whatta great car !! )
The "ass-holey" comment is right on, made me laugh, LOL.

Nice! Yeah this car will last me 5 years easy. And thanks for reading my review. Just felt like showing some appreciation. I want to eventually make a review video but I am too lazy for that.

Richie Roads 06-15-2019 02:17 PM

After you put in the new stereo, were you able to still use the charger and USB connector in the center-console compartment?

Tsx780 06-16-2019 12:48 AM

Black out your front grill and emblems

Matt Lumpkins 06-17-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Richie Roads (Post 16440410)
After you put in the new stereo, were you able to still use the charger and USB connector in the center-console compartment?

That is a great question. The answer to that is yes.

I was wondering the same thing. Also they made my stereo compatible with the steering wheel Controls.

The only problem I had was that the stock Bluetooth module was disconnecting my stereo. It was very frustrating. But I finally removed the module thanks to Acurazine