2013 TSX 6MT vs 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 TSX 6MT vs 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Hello everyone,

Trying to buy a car before the end of the year.

I've been driving BMWs for the last 7 years.

2005 - 2004 M3
2007 - 2000 323ci
2010 - 2008 335i Coupe

All of them have been manual transmissions. I've sold my 335i and am looking for a sedan now. Still needs to be 6MT.

I've narrowed my choices down to the 2013 versions of the TSX or the Accord Sedan.

I've driven both, and the TSX seems more like the BMW. It *seems* to have a tighter suspension, and seems quick to jump compared to the Accord. But the Accord drives very nice too. It handles way better than I thought an Accord Sedan would. And it's about $5.5k cheaper.

I can't decide what to buy. Any advice? Any questions to help me make this decision?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

I also plan on keeping this car for about 10 years.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
coming from a 335i I would get the V6 TSX....otherwise you'll be underwhelmed by the the engine and the badge IMO....altho I really think the 2013 Accord is a better car (new model, better tech).
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
I have one word of advice for you - Accord.

It has much more to offer for the money over the TSX.

And this is coming from a TSX owner, lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Warranty on Honda 3ys/36k acura 4yrs/50k + a 4 yr unlimited mileage warranty on battery which Honda does not have.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I'd be wary of the first model year from any manufacturer, even Honda, which means I'd more likely go TSX. The TSX has also received many positive refinements over the years, especially for steering and noise suppression. Also, though I haven't driven the new Accord, I'd bet your impression is accurate that the TSX is more of a sport sedan. Its suspension is much tighter than a typical family sedan's, and I agree it has a very German feel. With a couple of mods, the new Accord could probably get there, but not everyone wants to play that game.

I would also consider steering feel, which is a big deal to me. The TSX is pretty good for EPS, but I'm not crazy about it, especially the lack of on-center feel. If the new Accord represents an improvement in steering feel/feedback, I could be swayed to go in that direction, despite the other issues.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

I'm not as worried about power. It's more important for me to have the 6MT. I've driven both and neither has enough power to compare to the 335i. But the auto would bore me to death. Wife has an 2009 A4 and I can't wait to reach the destination when driving her car because I get so bored.

My friend"s 2006 Civic EX 5MT is more engaging
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

The struts in the 2013 Accord worry me. They always go bad on my BMWs.

But the Accord is soooooo cheap compared to the TSX.

One thing I loved about the TSX was the heated and much more supportive seats. Not sure that alone justifies an extra $5k-$6k
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Do you like to mod your vehicles?

If so go for the Honda. Current version tsx has zero aftermarket support. I don't see that changing much. Last model year.....basically a filler.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I come from a lot of BMW's too! My little monster was a supercharged m3. I bought the tsx about 6 months ago and I have been very impressed with the overall features the TSX offers. I test drove the auto tsx and the manual before buying. I went with the manual because it felt like it really put all the power available at your hands! I am surprised how much power this car has. I know its not no 400+hp like the m3, but damn its enough to put you in your seat. My cousin works at a Mercedes dealership and has driven a variety of different cars including driving a few auto TSX's, he was shocked that the manual tsx really did not feel like a 4cyl. Only complaints I have with the TSX is that Acura could have put a better sound system in this car (My friends base dodge ram has a way better sound system) push button start and nicer stock wheels. This is my first Japanese car and so far it has exceeded my expectations.
By the way, the TSX shifts like butter too!

Last edited by Chicosito; 12-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by robpp

If so go for the Honda. Current version tsx has zero aftermarket support. I don't see that changing much. Last model year.....basically a filler.
I'm not big on modding. If anything, with the Accord, I'd want to somehow eventually get HIDs. Which come standard in the TSX. I may also swap out the rims. But nothing crazier than that.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Although if I could get the Accord to drive more like a TSX with some mods, I would be open to it. As it stands now, the suspension seems softer than the TSX. I don't know how they would both handle some curves as I couldn't really try it on fun curvy roads.

I also feel that this will be the last fun car I get because manufacturers are already making less and less manual transmissions. By the time in ready for another car after this, there will probably be no more manuals left. I heard a rumor the 2014 M3 will not offer manual transmission. Makes me sad
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
I would go with the 2013 Accord 6MT. The extra 6K for the TSX doesn't justify enough extras for me. You could get a full loaded 2013 EX-L V6 Accord Coupe 6MT for the price of the TSX you are looking at!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
I would go with the 2013 Accord 6MT. The extra 6K for the TSX doesn't justify enough extras for me. You could get a full loaded 2013 EX-L V6 Accord Coupe 6MT for the price of the TSX you are looking at!
Definitely need a sedan tho
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
The sound system is different on radio than on a CD; much better on CD with tons of more BASS and I have the ELS tech.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Here are my considerations:

Looks: I think the TSX is a better looking car vs the Accord. Since this is the first release of the Accord your car is going to look dated fast as the mid-model refreshes come out.

Technology: The only feature worth having in the Accord is the keyless entry and start. Blind spot and collision avoidance are not very useful to me.

Cost of ownership: The Accord runs on 87 and the TSX requires premium gas. If you plan to keep the car 10years, then that's a big consideration since gas prices aren't likely to be cheaper in the long run. Acura maintenance isn't cheap, but you always get a free loaner (great way to try out new vehicles!). Honda maintenance is pretty affordable, but you not get much more than the bare minimum in customer service.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rajub
you have to look at depreciation also not just acquistion price.
how is $26k 2004 TSX selling now compared to 2004 $24k Accord EX V6 Coupe

I bet TSX holds better value as it has better qualit interior and paint.

TSX with 170K miles have same asking price as Accord V6 coupe EX with 102k miles.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/3510783933.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3508790276.html
Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
It seems mt Accords are rare in my area according to my quick search. NO ONE stocks them!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I believe TSXs are made in Japan. I would say that's a bonus.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp

I have KONI shocks on mine and it made a huge difference in ride quality and handling. What aftermarket support are you looking for? There are plenty of suspension options. Squeezing more power out of a TSX is pretty pointless due to it's high compression ratio. It has plenty of power, anyway. New Accord has struts in the front.

OP -- I am a fan of double wishtone suspension and don't like strut setups. You've mentioned 3-series cars which all have struts, so you are probably used to it. But, a double wishbone setup will be worlds better in ride quality and handling, that's one main reason why I drive what I drive now.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 12-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
Here are my considerations:

Looks: I think the TSX is a better looking car vs the Accord. Since this is the first release of the Accord your car is going to look dated fast as the mid-model refreshes come out.

Technology: The only feature worth having in the Accord is the keyless entry and start. Blind spot and collision avoidance are not very useful to me.

Cost of ownership: The Accord runs on 87 and the TSX requires premium gas. If you plan to keep the car 10years, then that's a big consideration since gas prices aren't likely to be cheaper in the long run. Acura maintenance isn't cheap, but you always get a free loaner (great way to try out new vehicles!). Honda maintenance is pretty affordable, but you not get much more than the bare minimum in customer service.
The 4cyl TSX recommends premium, V6 requires it. Also you can get your Acura serviced at Honda dealers. Geting a loaner through the Acura dealership is definitely a bonus. Warranty work though; Acura dealer.

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
you have to look at depreciation also not just acquistion price.
how is $26k 2004 TSX selling now compared to 2004 $24k Accord EX V6 Coupe

I bet TSX holds better value as it has better qualit interior and paint.

TSX with 170K miles have same asking price as Accord V6 coupe EX with 102k miles.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/3510783933.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3508790276.html

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Pro

Could you live with a hatch? If so, try the Focus ST. I doubt it will be as reliable as a Honda, and the interior is cramped relative to the Accord and TSX, but damn, it's a blast to drive. You won't miss your BMW's as much when you mash the throttle, change lanes at 85 mph, or hit the twisties. If I had to replace my TSX, I'd get an ST, despite my first year reliability concerns and serious dislike of MyFord Touch.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
One vote for the TSX.

But, if you are indifferent to either, save the $5500 and get the Accord.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for giving me your advice and/or comments. It really did help.

In the end, my wife and I decided to go with the TSX SE 6MT. Here are a few of the reasons why:

- The TSX dealer threw in 4 years of free maintenance. I checked with the Accord dealer, and the same maintenance on the Accord would have cost me approximately $1,370.

- Resale value. I checked the average trade in value of a 2004 TSX with manual transmission and a 2004 Accord Sedan. TSX was supposed to get you $7,000. Whereas the Accord gets you $5,500.

- Struts. The last two BMWs I've had, the bearing on the struts have started to go bad along with cracks in the struts, and for the Honda, they quoted me $1,200 for the replacement.

- The sound system in the Accord Sport was pretty bad. So I would have to put in approximately $1,000-$1,200 to get it up to the level of the Acura system. Which is the first thing I'd do if I got the Accord.

- The Accord doesn't have HIDs or heated seats. HIDs could be solved in the long run, and for now I live in California, where heated seats aren't a necessity, but the wife and I are planning on moving back to the east coast or midwest in approximately 3-4 years, and heated seats would definitely come in handy.

- The warranty was longer on the Acura. 4y/50k miles vs 3y/36k miles.

- Free roadside assistance with the Acura for the length of that warranty. Nothing with the Accord.

- I definitely think the Accord looks better than the last generation, but the back reminds me of a Hyundai, and in a few months, everyone will have one on the road.

What I will definitely miss about the Accord is the fact that it takes regular gas and gives much better mileage than the TSX, but I guess I had to compromise somewhere. I'm assuming this will be the last car I'll be able to buy in a manual, so might as well make it a nice one.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Could you live with a hatch? If so, try the Focus ST. I doubt it will be as reliable as a Honda, and the interior is cramped relative to the Accord and TSX, but damn, it's a blast to drive. You won't miss your BMW's as much when you mash the throttle, change lanes at 85 mph, or hit the twisties. If I had to replace my TSX, I'd get an ST, despite my first year reliability concerns and serious dislike of MyFord Touch.
Not a huge fan of hatch styling. I thought about the Ford, but didn't love the looks of it, and don't really know too much about Ford's reliability.

What attracted me to Honda/Acura is the reliability. My first car was an Acura Legend, I purchased it for $4,500 from a little old lady. It had 85,000 miles (yea, I know she gave me a great deal, she had already bought a new car and just wanted to get rid of this), and that car is still at home in the Midwest at my parents' house. The body is falling off because of rust and salt from the snow on the ground, and the check engine light just came on recently, but it still runs. 185,000 miles on that bad boy and it's good enough to use in a pinch.

I'd love to keep the TSX for a long time, so I was looking for something that would keep running, and even tho there's never any guarantee, I was playing the percentages by going with an Accord/TSX.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
I have one word of advice for you - Accord.

It has much more to offer for the money over the TSX.

And this is coming from a TSX owner, lol.
the only sedan Accord I would consider at this time is the Touring model which costs over $33K....but that includes every available option....mem seats, LED headlights, nav, adaptive cruise, lane mgt, etc, etc.....

very nice car.

however, I'd hold off for the PHEV version....100+mpg is awesome.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
id go TSX over accord. simply for the resale value. i just wish the TSX came with a coupe option.
i LOVE the way the accord coupe looks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a reason you didn't consider the TL SH-AWD w/ 6MT? Just curious.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Pro

I'd love to keep the TSX for a long time, so I was looking for something that would keep running, and even tho there's never any guarantee, I was playing the percentages by going with an Accord/TSX.
I'm with you. The TSX has been extremely reliable, and IMO it's tough to beat as a family friendly daily driver that's still fun to drive. The longer I've owned it (since Oct. '09), the more I've become inclined to keep it for the long haul. I do crave RWD, but rather than dump the TSX for a BMW, I'd prefer to add an FR-S on the side, and keep both for many years. The wife is decidedly against this concept, but I've only just begun to lay the groundwork.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ENAHS
Is there a reason you didn't consider the TL SH-AWD w/ 6MT? Just curious.
Only one reason, price. Was trying to stay under $30k.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Racer

Congratulations on the car. Watch the oil level carefully, some are having issues with unusual oil consumption. Not sure what your thoughts are on the break-in process, but I did not keep revs under 4K and broke mine in fairly aggressively. At 11K, I am not having unusual consumption issues.

Stan
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by stan_t
Congratulations on the car. Watch the oil level carefully, some are having issues with unusual oil consumption. Not sure what your thoughts are on the break-in process, but I did not keep revs under 4K and broke mine in fairly aggressively. At 11K, I am not having unusual consumption issues.

Stan
Thanks Stan! Just going through the stage of buyer's remorse that I always get right after I make a big purchase on myself

Probably should have gotten the Accord since it would have been cheaper and given better gas mileage.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
We own a 2013 Accord Sport and I like it. The handling is much better than my TSX. I wish it had heated mirrors though.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by s40 driver
We own a 2013 Accord Sport and I like it. The handling is much better than my TSX. I wish it had heated mirrors though.
Gahhhh! Would have loved it if you chimed in yesterday!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Racer

We own a 2013 Accord Sport and I like it. The handling is much better than my TSX.
Your TSX is a v6 though, no? Much more weight up front.

Stan
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by stan_t
Your TSX is a v6 though, no? Much more weight up front.

Stan
I do. I think its because of the electric steering maybe? People always complained about the V6 steering in reviews and I never knew what they were talking about. We've put about 1,100 miles on our '13 accord and its pretty great. I prefer the comforts and power of my TSX (which is fully equipped). I think I like the actual driving of the accord better.

I don't think the Accord's audio compares to my ELS, but its terrible. I came from a '12 Wrangler which was also loaded, but the stereo was still unimpressive. I think the Pandora integration is pretty neat, but it has a way to go.

I like the CVT and 4 cal. I've never had a car that gets over 500 miles in a tank of gas, but this Accord did it driving from Virginia Beach to Maryland, around town and back to Va Beach. Its an effortless drive.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Quality control is pretty much the same. Being made in Japan, didn't help with some of the gremlins plaguing my TSX.

Like how some people think BMW's made in Germany are better/more reliable than the ones built in South Africa
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM
it's a car-drive it

I do. I think its because of the electric steering maybe? People always complained about the V6 steering in reviews and I never knew what they were talking about. We've put about 1,100 miles on our '13 accord and its pretty great. I prefer the comforts and power of my TSX (which is fully equipped). I think I like the actual driving of the accord better.

I don't think the Accord's audio compares to my ELS, but its terrible. I came from a '12 Wrangler which was also loaded, but the stereo was still unimpressive. I think the Pandora integration is pretty neat, but it has a way to go.

I like the CVT and 4 cal. I've never had a car that gets over 500 miles in a tank of gas, but this Accord did it driving from Virginia Beach to Maryland, around town and back to Va Beach. Its an effortless drive.
My mom owned a 08 Honda accord. She passed away in Oct. I will be selling her car as I prefer my tsx. Yes we have had over 500 miles on a tank of gas on the tsx. The cvt transmission on my moms Honda had to be replaced under warranty. The car, which was bought new 3/08 has 24kmiles.
The following users liked this post:
s40 driver (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
My mom owned a 08 Honda accord. She passed away in Oct. I will be selling her car as I prefer my tsx. Yes we have had over 500 miles on a tank of gas on the tsx. The cvt transmission on my moms Honda had to be replaced under warranty. The car, which was bought new 3/08 has 24kmiles.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.

I don't remember the most I gotten out of my V6 model but I don't think its done over 500mpg. I think the CVT is new for Honda Accords this year, so I'm not sure if it would be plagued by the same issues as an 08 accord, but its good to know!

I like the TSX, but I think the Accord is a great value and a great second car.

Happy New Year, all!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.

I don't remember the most I gotten out of my V6 model but I don't think its done over 500mpg. I think the CVT is new for Honda Accords this year, so I'm not sure if it would be plagued by the same issues as an 08 accord, but its good to know!

I like the TSX, but I think the Accord is a great value and a great second car.

Happy New Year, all!
My moms accord has it. Not overly impressed but then I prefer manual transmission

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 TSX 6MT vs 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT