2010 Acura tsx maf sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Acura tsx maf sensor question

So I have a question regarding my maf sensor tube in my tsx, I recently did a jankey install of a Sri, I cut the intake piping off right before the air box, and I slapped a filter on it haha, but anyways, I want to build a custom short ram intake for my car, but I need to know what the proper size of the tube is that the maf sensor is connected to, I don't want it to be calibrated incorrectly so I want to get the right size pipe for the sensor, but no matter how hard I look online I can't find any reference to what size the inner diameter of the pipe is, anyone help? I don't have a caliper or I would check it mtself, any help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Isn't the maf screwed in on top of the intake tube you just cut? Are you looking for the diameter of the throttle body so you can make your own CAI?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse scheneman
So I have a question regarding my maf sensor tube in my tsx, I recently did a jankey install of a Sri, I cut the intake piping off right before the air box, and I slapped a filter on it haha, but anyways, I want to build a custom short ram intake for my car, but I need to know what the proper size of the tube is that the maf sensor is connected to, I don't want it to be calibrated incorrectly so I want to get the right size pipe for the sensor, but no matter how hard I look online I can't find any reference to what size the inner diameter of the pipe is, anyone help? I don't have a caliper or I would check it mtself, any help is greatly appreciated
Care to translate that into English? Please post your VIN as well so that everybody knows to stay far away after you decide to sell the car for poor performance.

If I read your post correctly, you've already butchered your intake and may, or may not, have an air filter attached. Modern manufacturers build the most efficient intakes. Had you spent any time reading here you would know that even professionally designed intakes rob power - care to bet how well a home made intake works?

Normally, I'd say "welcome" but such a poorly worded, badly thought out and "written at the first grade level" post just means you should try again.

Let's just forget about your first post. Do a bit of research and try again.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Care to translate that into English? Please post your VIN as well so that everybody knows to stay far away after you decide to sell the car for poor performance.

If I read your post correctly, you've already butchered your intake and may, or may not, have an air filter attached. Modern manufacturers build the most efficient intakes. Had you spent any time reading here you would know that even professionally designed intakes rob power - care to bet how well a home made intake works?

Normally, I'd say "welcome" but such a poorly worded, badly thought out and "written at the first grade level" post just means you should try again.

Let's just forget about your first post. Do a bit of research and try again.

I thought I couldn't make sense of the post because I am so hungover. Glad I can confirm that's not the case.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
It took me a while to decipher it myself. After the third or fourth reading, I think I got the gist:

Hello fellow luxury car enthusiasts! I have a question about the Mass Air Flow piping in my TSX (ed: assumed to be a 2G TSX based on the forum it was posted in).

I recently attempted a DIY modification of my intake in an attempt to mimic a Short Ram Intake. I cut the piping immediately in front of the OEM air filter housing (ed: I assume this to mean: right behind the box, i.e. the piping to the MAF remained intact but the OEM filter/box has been removed) and installed an aftermarket filter, which amused me. That is actually besides the point of my question, but it does indicate my level of competence.

I would like to attempt at DIY Short Ram Intake for my car but I require some knowledge from those of you who frequent these forums because I know you have superior intellect and impressive genitals: "what is the size of the intake piping that the Mass Air Flow sensor connects to?" I do not want to cause a calibration error due to my changes so I would like to accurately match the size of the new piping to that of the old piping. In my (ed: presumably extensive and exhaustive) searching of the internets, I cannot locate a reference of what the Inner Diameter of the intake is.

Can anyone be of assistance? I don't have a caliper, nor do I own a ruler, a piece of string, a dollar bill (ed: just over 6" long), or an 8.5"x11" piece of paper that I could use to approximate the dimension myself. But I assure you that if I did have some method of determining the dimension of the OEM piping, I would. I totally wouldn't just post on the internet hoping that someone would go measure it for me. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am smiling.
I'd offer this bit of assistance: if you can find something to wrap around the OEM piping, say a scrap torn from a paper sack, a shoelace, the label from a 2-litre bottle of Mountain Deu, an empty family size bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos, etc. you can figure out the circumference of the piping. Then, using a quarter, measure how many quarters it takes to go along the length you measured. The circumference is that many inches. Then just divide by pi to get the diameter.

Last edited by cu2wagon; 12-04-2016 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ceb (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear

Thank yoy. I appreciate the help from the last guy, the first two people could've been a little nicer. I'm sorry it is my first time posting on here, and it is my first Acura, and it was late at night so I wasn't completely conscious when I made this threat, so sorry for sounding drunk or illiterate but you did not need to come off with the attitude and everything. I'm a beginner and I did not know the proper terms to use, and for your information, yes I DO have an air filter attached, and YES I am getting better performance from my car since I did this. And also I did not decide to attempt to build my own short ram air intake for performance reasons, I wanted to do it for the sound also, because I wanted a little louder more beefy sounding car, and I accomplished that. So thank you for the help, but try to be nicer next time.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Don't take it so seriously. It's just the internet. Everyone is just having some fun with you.

But to point, coherency goes a long way. As does punctuation and grammar; believe it or not.

If all you're really looking for is sound, you could probably benefit most from the $0 mod of removing the resonator from the underside of the airbox. No need to buy anything new or build anything.

Although, if you've hacked up the airbox, you're in for a penny in for a pound now.

Good luck and happy modding!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks haha, and also I like to race my car, it doesn't matter if I win or not, I just like the adrenaline rush. I'm a delivery driver also so I'm always in my car, I am hoping to put maybe a new MagnaFlow exhaust on when I can afford it, but right now money is tight, that's partially why I want to build my own short ram intake, it costs a lot less haha. I just bought this car about a month ago, it's a 2010 Acura tsx, without the tech package. It has 128,400 miles, so the Miles were a little high for the 12,000 dollar price tag, plus the 3,000 dollar interest on the loan, but it's the nicest car I've ever owned so I'm happy
Old 12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse scheneman
Thanks haha, and also I like to race my car, it doesn't matter if I win or not, I just like the adrenaline rush. I'm a delivery driver also so I'm always in my car, I am hoping to put maybe a new MagnaFlow exhaust on when I can afford it, but right now money is tight, that's partially why I want to build my own short ram intake, it costs a lot less haha. I just bought this car about a month ago, it's a 2010 Acura tsx, without the tech package. It has 128,400 miles, so the Miles were a little high for the 12,000 dollar price tag, plus the 3,000 dollar interest on the loan, but it's the nicest car I've ever owned so I'm happy
Don't forget that many jurisdictions have noise rules and Domino's may be getting complaints about you.

While you've gotten more noise, you did not get more performance but if that's what your butt dyno tells you then it must be true.