2010 Acura TL - Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Acura TL - Loaner

So this morning bringing my TSX in for its first A1 service, I received a 2010 TL as a loaner, non-tech package, no navi. Just wanted to share my thoughts
I can tell you this, after driving this and being in it, i appreciate and love my TSX more. I can't say im a big fan of this car.
So here is what i like:
- Nice white lights for map light/dome light in the front
- Blue tinted side view mirrors
- Electronic lumbar support, its a small thing but it would be nice to have on the TSX
- Accent details, might just be this car, as it had like a almost carbon fiber like detail trim
- Exhaust look, pretty nice looking exhaust
- Like the extra horsepower, but sadly no MT, just paddle shifters

Cons:
- Overall look of the car, the rear end i find hideous
- I find the leather seats in my TSX were more comfortable
- On my way on home from the dealership, i was taking it through the rpm's and the sound of the engine doesn't sound nearly as good as ours, we have a really nice roar, where as this car is more subtle, not very nice sounding i found
- Cluster/Instrument Panel, i prefer the TSX look
- Our steering wheel seems nicer, probably just preferences
- I like our overall dash better
- car is massive lol, i donno if its actually bigger, but it seems quite a bit bigger than the tsx
- seems like our arm rest department is bigger, and ours slide out for more arm rest support lol

These are just the things that i've noticed on my drive home, i have it for the rest of the day till tmr morning, so if i come to notice other things i'll add to it. Also the car has black interior, and i have beige interior in my car, im kinda glad i didn't get black interior, seems kinda boring to me now lol, makes the interior really dark, where as my interior is very bright and lively, and with the two tone black/beige combo, its a really nice effect i find.

Here are some pics of it anyways

I like how long their signal light is tho

Blah looks like a transformer back end lol, not a fan
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was originally supposed to get a TL and that is the car I fell in love with then when I realized it's huge and I found out that there is really not anymore room in the drivers seat in the TL than the TSX and I liked the way the controls were better and thought it was more of a car for teens the TSX I decided to go with it.

The TL is massive and I appreciate my TSX much better.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
VTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, the TL weighs only like 100lbs more than the TSX.
TL is nice, my twin brother has one and I drive it a lot.

Compared to my TSX, the immediate things I noticed on the TL that I wish I had on the TSX are:

* blue tinted side lights. At night on the freeway they make a huge difference
* Real brushed aluminum dash trim
* side mirrors linked to memory
* 6 disc in dash changer even on the base model
* Passenger 8 way power seat vs 4 way on the TSX
* more heated-seat coils on the passenger seat
* airplane seat style overhead lights
* stronger heater. With both cars set to AUTO 75 F in the winter, TL is much warmer and consequently the fan doesn't need to blow as hard as it does in the TSX.
* Power lumbar

I actually kinda like the way TL looks now. It looks very aggresive from the back and has that wide stance.

oh yeah, and in the non-navi model, in the dash informatinn display, on the TL it even displays the "antenna bars" when the phone is hooked up. On the TSX, it just tells you bluetooth is on but doesn't display signal level.

Last edited by VTX; 04-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VTX
Guys, the TL weighs only like 100lbs more than the TSX.
TL is nice, my twin brother has one and I drive it a lot.
last i checked, a 2nd gen manual transmission TSX is about 3,400 lbs, and a FWD TL is ~3,730 lbs, or about 330 extra lbs. the SH-AWD TL weighs in around 3,975 lbs, which is almost a full 600 lbs more.

330 pounds is not a huge difference, but it's certainly more significant than 100 pounds and you'd probably feel the difference when tossing the car around. with an extra 600 pounds, you'd definitely notice it.

that said, the 3.5/3.7L engines are beastly compared to the 4-cyl TSX.

also, when using Bluetooth in the TSX, the signal strength does show up in the information cluster...

**EDIT** haha, i think you were comparing the V6 TSX to the V6 TL. duh. sorry about that!

Last edited by frescagod; 04-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Acura has to make some differentiation between the TSX and TL to justify the pricing. In Europe and Australia where there is no TL model, their CU2 Accord comes with the 8 way power seats, plus available LKAS, CMBS, headlight washers and front sensors etc).

If I were to get the TL, then the SH-AWD 6MT would be my choice. Bigger 3.7L engine and smooth gearbox and the surefootedness of the SH-AWD.

BTW, on my 09Tech model, the MID display both signal strength and battery level status, I am sure the base model should do the same.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
also, when using Bluetooth in the TSX, the signal strength does show up in the information cluster...
I believe this feature is determined by the phone's implementation of the Bluetooth spec. If the same phone behaved differently on TL and TSX I would be interested to hear about it.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor

I also can't seem to find the Range on the HUD... i like to know much i can go on a tank lol.. oh yea i really like those airplane style lights, and their are white too, pretty slick. I could care less about the passenger lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's almost like two different cars from two different companies. After having a TL loaner I can't for the life of me understand the price difference. I mean quite honestly I was shocked to find the TSX just felt like a more solid, more expensive car to me. It also looks like it was designed by a different company than the TL, besides the power plenum. That goes for the RL too which is what my dad drives. There is such little difference between the TSX, TL, and RL in terms of features and feel of the car IMO. In fact I feel like my TSX's stereo is better than my dad's RL, and I felt like my TSX's steering and solid feel of the car was much better than the TL loaner they gave me. I just don't get the Acura lineup honestly.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Instructor

yea, maybe just cuz im lazy, and grown accustomed to the loose easy feel steering of the tsx, but i like to ride real laid back, using little to no effort to steer lol
Also i've noticed with the 2010 csx loaner i had also, wuts with the shifters on these AT cars.. with the big button u gotta press in on the bottom... when moving the shifter out park... even my 2000 prelude didn't have that... just opens alot more when it comes to shifter knob customization thats all
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
VTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yeah i forgot to mention, i was talking about the weight difference between the TL and the TSX V6, which is almost nil.

And about the cell phone signal strength meter, I was talking about the center stack display, not the gauge MID. On the TL, signal strength is always displayed on the center stack display, but on the TSX the center stack display does not have the signal strength meter. It just has the bluetooth symbol. The only time signal strength shows up on the TSX is when you have an incoming call, then the signal bars show up on the gauge MID. But i'd rather have visibility of the signal at all times in the center stack as in the TL.

And I was really surprised by this too, but the TL actually pulls more lateral Gs and it has a faster slalom too. I suspect it's because the TL has a wider track.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by VTX
And I was really surprised by this too, but the TL actually pulls more lateral Gs and it has a faster slalom too. I suspect it's because the TL has a wider track.
There is a slight difference in track :TSX - 62.2 F & R, TL - F 63.2 R 63.8. But even the base TL has larger tyres 245/50/17 vs TSX 225/50/17 and that is more likely reason for the better lateral G numbers. Would be interested in what kind of lateral G's we can pull when we lowered our TSX and put 19" wheels and tyres on?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
My mom has a new TL shawd and its freaking amazing to drive. The shawd system is just too sick and the car comes with a hydraulic e-brake!