2009 vs 2010 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Well I bought my 2009 TSX back in May as well. But unlike Craig-D, I have had most of the issues that MMsTSX spoke of. I think he was just listing things mentioned on the 2nd Gen Problem/Fix forum.

In the 6 months or so I have owned my 2nd gen TSX, it's been to the dealership to fix the following:

1) Steering Alignment - The steering wheel was off alignment and adjusted
2) Exterior Molding fell off - Ordered a new part
3) "Not an Ashtray door" door won't open - Ordered new part
4) Trunk makes scraping sound when opening - Ordered new trunk trim
5) Driver's leather seat clip popped off - re-attached it
6) Valet Key recall - fixed it
7) Drivetrain rattling (pinging?) - No fix at this time

So yes 1st year models will have issues... or maybe I just got a lemon Lol!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a real hit or miss on whether or not 09 owners are experiencing these issues. From what I've read, most of the things are minor except for the engine pinging and body molding falling off (yikes!) ...

One general question I have is for those that are either in the market or have very recently purchased ...

Are you finding that you are getting better deals on the vehicle due to the market downturn? Whether it be in terms of money off the top, finance rates, free extras, etc ... what's been your experience?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Are you finding that you are getting better deals on the vehicle due to the market downturn? Whether it be in terms of money off the top, finance rates, free extras, etc ... what's been your experience?
I'm waiting for honda to offer a special financing rate, right now its nothing great. However, some people are getting good dealers under invoice on the car.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lower prices are coming

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27414605

Honda on Tuesday cut its annual profit forecast as a deepening financial crisis hammers global car demand and sends the yen soaring.

Japan's second-biggest automaker now expects its net profit for the business year to March 31 to come to 485 billion yen ($5.20 billion), down 19 percent from last year and lower than its previous forecast of 490 billion yen. Eleven brokerages had forecast an average 503 billion yen, although that consensus came before the yen's rapid ascent in the last few days.

Originally Posted by Craig-D
I do find it curious that its mostly 1st gen. owners weighing in and telling people to wait for the '10 because of all the alleged problems. I would recommend listening to the opnions of those of us who actually own the '09.
oh really?
alleged problems?
so I'm a liar?

listen buddy. you own ONE CAR. with two of the listed problems I kindly shared.
why would anyone take your one opinion and close-mindedness about one car?
I'm actually smart enough to do wide-reaching research over several websites
and information outlets and be able to compile that.
I'm also kind enough to share this information with the people it matters most
to. Like the OP looking for some solid un-biased advice.

there is nothing alleged about any one of the problems I listed.
there's plenty of proof and testimonies backing up each and every one of them.
you're way out of line in my book and way too over-absorbed about your one
biased opinion about your one car.

so are you trying to hide or discount the many problems others have had
and telling the OP to not make an informed decision?

would it make you feel good to convince the OP to buy an 09 TSX just to have
them run into electrical, engine, body and other problems they wish they
would have known about earlier?

please.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
CEO of IMHO

Care to share exactly what about the 09 is so much better than the 06?

Originally Posted by 09TSX
Chibianh...I am with you...the Valet key was an issue although I never use the valet key so for me, not an inconvenience at all. The other issue I have had was a squeak/creak in the back of the car and that was fixed and the car is tight and noise free again. I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoy my 09, much more so than my 06...The 2010 may well indeed have an engine choice (V6 or 4 cylinder) so that maybe worth while for those who want that option..
Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
One general question I have is for those that are either in the market or have very recently purchased ...

You can go onto Edmunds.com and get the TMV (true market value) price for the car in your particular area, since it varies according to where you live. For my area in NJ, I saw people are still paying pretty close to MSRP. Basically a couple hundred bucks off MSRP. Not much of a discount yet, hopefully it will get better soon.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
Chibianh...I am with you...the Valet key was an issue although I never use the valet key so for me, not an inconvenience at all. The other issue I have had was a squeak/creak in the back of the car and that was fixed and the car is tight and noise free again. I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoy my 09, much more so than my 06...The 2010 may well indeed have an engine choice (V6 or 4 cylinder) so that maybe worth while for those who want that option..
How did u fix the rear rattle/noise? I think I might have something back there making some noise, I haven't spent the time in narrowing it down though.

As far as all the other problems, I haven't had any, only slight brake noise, which seems to be going away from more use. And I noticed a pop in the speakers, seems to be the tweeters, but I think it's only when using the iPod and not all songs, so I think its the song quality more so than the speakers themselves. When listening to XM or Radio or CD its crystal clear.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MMs-TSX....I have to agree with Craig-D. Your so called research IS Biased, most people only go to forums to gripe about what is wrong. Why don't you compile all that info and list it on this site. Then take a survey of how many other people don't have most of these problems. Between myself, family, and friends their are 4, '09 TSX's 3 AT Tech. and one Base MT. With only the Valet Key Problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Care to share exactly what about the 09 is so much better than the 06?
I would love to, but keep in mind that what I like on the 2009 maybe something that others will hate. It is MY taste and for that, I do no want people to start flamming me...I make the same analogy as a person's wife. Even ugly women get married and that means that someone is attracted enough to them to say I do, eventhough some would say, what was he thinking!!

So here is what I like better about my 2009:

1. Lease rate (much lower than what I was paying on my 2006)
2. Increased interior space.
3. Lowered torque curve (for AT owners, this is noticeable)
4. Exterior appearance (despite the grill, the aerokit thrown on the car makes it look really sexy...IN MY OPINION)
5. Much prefer the steering feel, especially at low speed....but even at high speed now, I have just as much confidence as my 2006 felt. A test drive (or a few test drive) is not enough to get a real feel for the steering but I now love it!
6. I love the USB connection and the sat radio that my 2006 didn't have.
7. Much more comfortable seat in my ass's opinion.
8. The paddle shifters...at first I hated it, now, can't see how I would live without them...when driving the g/f car, I try to find the paddles!!
9. I prefer the size and feel of the steering wheel itself (also)

so as you can see, there are a few reasons why I feel that my 2009 is better than my 2006, but again, these are things that I like and may not apply to others....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DeadLock
How did u fix the rear rattle/noise? I think I might have something back there making some noise, I haven't spent the time in narrowing it down though.
Well, technically I was not the one who fixed it but I think I get what you are asking. They had to put a few more weld spots inside the trunk on a few metal plates that lines up right behind passenger seats. Its a bit hard to describe and I have been trying to find the time to take pictures and post them here but haven't gotten around to it yet. The guys at Acura/Honda were aware of the problem because the dealership did a tech call and they were the one who told them on how to fix the problem so its been well documented and the dealership should be able to have access on how to troubleshoot/fix the problem. See the thread I started in the trouble section because someone did mention another problem very similar and a different solution...BEST OF LUCK!

PS...Try to have someone drive the car for you and just sit the back of the car, ideally with the 40/60 split open on one sire so you can stick your head into the trunk section and find a parking lots of a place when you can try it....DO NOT GO ON THE HIGHWAY UNBUCKLED!!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

I bought the 09 TSX in May and experienced the following issues:
1. Fuel door would not open easily (not too big a deal)
2. Engine pinging (not a deal breaker but VERY annoying)
3. Steering wheel would not always return to center coming out of curves. Seemed to be stuck in a groove. Spent several weeks working with dealership but no luck (this was the deal breaker).

I really wanted this car to be a keeper for me because I had a 2001 CL that I LOVED but couldn't get past the steering so I ended up trading it in last month.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27414605

Honda on Tuesday cut its annual profit forecast as a deepening financial crisis hammers global car demand and sends the yen soaring.

Japan's second-biggest automaker now expects its net profit for the business year to March 31 to come to 485 billion yen ($5.20 billion), down 19 percent from last year and lower than its previous forecast of 490 billion yen. Eleven brokerages had forecast an average 503 billion yen, although that consensus came before the yen's rapid ascent in the last few days.

oh really?
alleged problems?
so I'm a liar?

listen buddy. you own ONE CAR. with two of the listed problems I kindly shared.
why would anyone take your one opinion and close-mindedness about one car?
I'm actually smart enough to do wide-reaching research over several websites
and information outlets and be able to compile that.
I'm also kind enough to share this information with the people it matters most
to. Like the OP looking for some solid un-biased advice.

there is nothing alleged about any one of the problems I listed.
there's plenty of proof and testimonies backing up each and every one of them.
you're way out of line in my book and way too over-absorbed about your one
biased opinion about your one car.

so are you trying to hide or discount the many problems others have had
and telling the OP to not make an informed decision?

would it make you feel good to convince the OP to buy an 09 TSX just to have
them run into electrical, engine, body and other problems they wish they
would have known about earlier?

please.
I'm not calling you or anyone else a liar. If you own an '09 and are having problems, then that's fine. I'm speaking to those who don't even own the vehicle and yet are reporting problems with it. My point was simply to listen only to the actual owners of '09s. They are the only ones in a position to accurately report and discuss any problems with the car.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not calling you or anyone else a liar. If you own an '09 and are having problems, then that's fine. I'm speaking to those who don't even own the vehicle and yet are reporting problems with it. My point was simply to listen only to the actual owners of '09s. They are the only ones in a position to accurately report and discuss any problems with the car.
All he did was list common problems that people have already discussed in the Problems & Fixes forum. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Well I bought my 2009 TSX back in May as well. But unlike Craig-D, I have had most of the issues that MMsTSX spoke of. I think he was just listing things mentioned on the 2nd Gen Problem/Fix forum.

In the 6 months or so I have owned my 2nd gen TSX, it's been to the dealership to fix the following:

1) Steering Alignment - The steering wheel was off alignment and adjusted
2) Exterior Molding fell off - Ordered a new part
3) "Not an Ashtray door" door won't open - Ordered new part
4) Trunk makes scraping sound when opening - Ordered new trunk trim
5) Driver's leather seat clip popped off - re-attached it
6) Valet Key recall - fixed it
7) Drivetrain rattling (pinging?) - No fix at this time

So yes 1st year models will have issues... or maybe I just got a lemon Lol!
I must have gotten a good one then. I have had none of this happen except the seat clip and the valet key. I have had no need to go to the dealer in 5 months of ownership. I'm at 4700 miles and I even still have 60% oil life left!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Luck of the draw I guess

I must have gotten a good one then. I have had none of this happen except the seat clip and the valet key. I have had no need to go to the dealer in 5 months of ownership. I'm at 4700 miles and I even still have 60% oil life left!
Yeah seems to be hit or miss with the '09 batch of TSX's. Some have reported no issues and others like me have or had issues.

Btw, My "09 TSX manufacture date is 03/2008. (Purchased it 05/2008)

Anyways, I still love my 2nd gen TSX. It's a great and fun car to drive and I'm sure later iterations will be even better.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Race Director

wait for 2010
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Now that you bring up the production date ... can the people that have had issues please state your production date? I'm assuming it's on the inside of the drivers door ... on a plaque ...

Maybe these problems are more prevalent on certain cars with specific manufacturing dates ...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Being the 2G TSX is totally redesigned i can understand some of the problems such as rattles, squeeks, panels not aligned, leather issues etc etc, but i dont understand the engine issue (pinging).

Isnt this the same drivetrain as the 1G TSX?? If so, this sounds like more of a supplier problem possibly with some timing or electrical component. Where there similar problems with the 1G??
Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by cp3117
Being the 2G TSX is totally redesigned i can understand some of the problems such as rattles, squeeks, panels not aligned, leather issues etc etc, but i dont understand the engine issue (pinging).

Isnt this the same drivetrain as the 1G TSX?? If so, this sounds like more of a supplier problem possibly with some timing or electrical component. Where there similar problems with the 1G??

no, it's not the same.
the engine is redone, retooled, reconfigured.

it has less HP and more TQ, and many parts on it changed.
not the same setup at all.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

My 09' tsx is 100% built from Japan and so far no problems. Nothing minor even.

*pray to the gods this continues*
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I have an 09 Tech 6MT and although I don't want to jinx myself, I've only complained about a speaker being blown, but that's my fault as far as I'm concerned. All the other stuff either isn't occuring or it's just not an issue that I waste time fretting about. I think this is a fine little car for the money and does *exactly* what it's supposed to afaic.

Funny, you'd think a group of owners on a forum would be here because they like their cars and want to enjoy the camaraderie and share information about them.

Anyway, I too fail to understand why any 1g owner would invest time on a 2g board to complain about a car they don't own.
$.02
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Are these issues going to be fixed for 2010? Or the last half of the 2009 model run?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I have an 09 Tech 6MT and although I don't want to jinx myself, I've only complained about a speaker being blown, but that's my fault as far as I'm concerned. All the other stuff either isn't occuring or it's just not an issue that I waste time fretting about. I think this is a fine little car for the money and does *exactly* what it's supposed to afaic.

Funny, you'd think a group of owners on a forum would be here because they like their cars and want to enjoy the camaraderie and share information about them.

Anyway, I too fail to understand why any 1g owner would invest time on a 2g board to complain about a car they don't own.
$.02
You just summed it up. Enjoy the car. Problems go in to the "problems & fixes" sub-forum.