2009 TSX - Designed for these guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
6MT or Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
[sigh] ...Sorry, I can't explain it any better, but think of it as selling an image.
Seriously Colin, I don't understand why so many people are having such a problem grasping this. By SAYING they're targeting a younger market and SHOWING a younger market in the advertising, an older group of people will THINK they're buying a car aimed at a younger market. Perceived value, anyone?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Advanced

So let me get this straight, you think Honda is smart by making older people think they will feel younger by buying this car while totally ignoring their real target (people in their 20-30s)? So if you're a young guy and you see a bunch of middle aged people driving an ugly car, does that make you wanna go and buy it (Think Oldsmobile and Buick)?

No, I think you're reading way too much into this. Honda really wants to sell these cars to younger people, they have cars for older people (RL).
Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The Element is another example. They showed all these Gen Y guys but the real customers were all ex-hippies that used to have a VW Microbus. These people see themselves as the guys in the ads.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Advanced

That's why the car isn't selling then cuz they missed their target audience.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
Seriously Colin, I don't understand why so many people are having such a problem grasping this. By SAYING they're targeting a younger market and SHOWING a younger market in the advertising, an older group of people will THINK they're buying a car aimed at a younger market. Perceived value, anyone?

If you guys still don't get, it means their target audience IS the 40+ range. They are implicitly trying to get people from the 40+ range to buy it by selling it as a "younger generation's" car because they know 40+ guys want to feel young again.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tlbkcal
If you guys still don't get, it means their target audience IS the 40+ range. They are implicitly trying to get people from the 40+ range to buy it by selling it as a "younger generation's" car because they know 40+ guys want to feel young again.

And which is a stupid stratagy as TSX is supposed for the young group like 40 yrs, or below who has a stable job and have the luxery to afford a sporty luxery sedan. TL, may be for ppl b/w 30-50......and RL definitely for 40+. If they sell the TSX to the 40+ generation and what is the point to have the existence of RL and TL?!?! IMO, the designer and marketing ppl of Honda are out of their mind!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I give up
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Hail Hail

Originally Posted by otokoyama
That's why the car isn't selling then cuz they missed their target audience.
Jumping the gun a bit there, no?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^

jumping the gun a bit, yes.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I give up
Hang in there Colin.

I see a lot of complaing about what the TSX is not. (I complain too). But, the general public, expecially those who don't own or haven't driven the first gen TSX will test drive this car and see it for what it is (or what Acura hopes it is). A step up in luxury, sportiness, technology, from the typical mid/full size Accord, Camry, Maxima (whether actual or just perceived).
Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Colin can't give up, he has to sell the things.

IMO, anyone who doesn't think the 09 we sell as well or even slightly better than the 04-08 is Its the same damn winning formula.

Now if you told me they'll sell a lot more then...your
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Colin can't give up, he has to sell the things.

IMO, anyone who doesn't think the 09 we sell as well or even slightly better than the 04-08 is Its the same damn winning formula.

Now if you told me they'll sell a lot more then...your
I don't know about the same formula. They left out some of the driving feel, which to me was always the best part.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Celtic FC
Jumping the gun a bit there, no?
Was refering to Honda Element which is a poor seller.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I don't know about the same formula. They left out some of the driving feel, which to me was always the best part.

While I agree, lets wait for the test drive.

But like jlukja mentioned, not everyone will notice or even care about things like driving feel.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
6MT or Death

True, but another part of the winning formula was the price. We all may have found 1 or 2 things lacking in our particular MY, but the price really roped a lot of people in. IF (that's a big if because we don't have confirmation) the "tech package" is going to run $35K, I see that as straying a bit from the formula.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Hail Hail

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
True, but another part of the winning formula was the price. We all may have found 1 or 2 things lacking in our particular MY, but the price really roped a lot of people in. IF (that's a big if because we don't have confirmation) the "tech package" is going to run $35K, I see that as straying a bit from the formula.
I think the tech package + diesel will be just under $35K; without diesel, I'm thinking just under $33K. If so, then I think it's priced right. Otherwise, no one will buy one.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Did any of you catch the 09 TSX review in this month's Car and Driver? Just got it last night. They basically said the 09 trades down on it's "fun to drive" factor in favor of more electronic gadetry. The 09 had lower hp (201 down from 205) and didn't have the crisp handling of the Gen I. But, it had more gizmos in the electronics.

Also that big knob in the middle (according to the article) is now common across all new Honda/Acura platforms.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM

I have to disagree here. Being in that "40+" generation, the electronic gizmos are actually of less importance. I'm on the border of caring if the car can play an iPod, and I find bluetooth a good thing but I don't live with my cell phone attached to the hip. Guess who does - the below 40 crowd. Adding features to a car that emphasize the recent technology trends is a direct play at the 25-35 age group. Besides, that's the same age group that will blow large amounts of money on performance mods (evidence by the VAST majority of the people on the TSX forum under 40 talking about mods. I think I can name 2 or 3 that are over 40). By the time you're 40-ish, unless you are into tuning a car you'd rather buy one that has the performance you need off the lot, not bolt the stuff on after the fact.

So think of it from that perspective - the 09 TSX: gadget ready for the electronic generation, and plenty of up-side to modify to get the race-car you want.

BTW, the guys in that picture are NOT 40.

As for feeling younger, that's what 2-seater sports cars are for. I don't feel "young" or "hip" because I own the same car as some 18-22 year old (who I will forever wonder how they paid for it, but I digress). You don't buy a "sporty" 4-door Accord-in-Acura-clothing to feel young. You buy an S2000. I think they're targeting a younger market because a successful 28 year old looking to buy an entry-level luxury car has a TSX dead in their sights.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Advanced

^Well said.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

I'm 50+ and have begun looking at new A4, IS250/350 and MB C300Sport. After 2 Acuras, I'm heading for greener pastures that is more exhiliating to drive with some luxury refinement.

I was so interested in new TSX after seeing the sports4 but it's just a fatter, slower camry-like rehash of first generation....cie le vie!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Dude, the guy in the front coddles his iPod like a newborn child. By the angle at which he's looking at it, "it's a boy!", note the umbilical cord on the bottom.

I'm a 20 something and I'm definitely interested in the TSX, have been since the first gen but wasn't quite ready with the money. Now i'm ready with the money, and I think it looks nice, I'm not the hardcorest of drivers (not going to be taking it street racing, or to the track), and mostly what I've read on these forums about the car are gripes about the performance. I'd probably make some mods, kit wise, seeing some of the stuff rondog was comin up with.

Is there a better place I should go with my money?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cmasterchoe

I'm a 20 something and I'm definitely interested in the TSX, have been since the first gen but wasn't quite ready with the money.

Back when the 1st gen TSX came out, it offered value with a unique clean sharp styling unlike anything in the market.

Unfortunately, that styling is gone, the price went up, and the 2nd gen TSX has pulled a muscle in it's attempt to flex it. Its lost its competitive advantage.

You will find better looking luxury sport sedans with better technology, more power, and a RWD or AWD drivetrain.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
Dude, the guy in the front coddles his iPod like a newborn child. By the angle at which he's looking at it, "it's a boy!", note the umbilical cord on the bottom.

I'm a 20 something and I'm definitely interested in the TSX, have been since the first gen but wasn't quite ready with the money. Now i'm ready with the money, and I think it looks nice, I'm not the hardcorest of drivers (not going to be taking it street racing, or to the track), and mostly what I've read on these forums about the car are gripes about the performance. I'd probably make some mods, kit wise, seeing some of the stuff rondog was comin up with.

If you're not after a race car, the TSX is a nice choice. Not sure if you are after new or not, but most folks agree the 2006+ TSX is the one to target (over an 04 or 05). It got some very useful options in 06.

Where else to look depends on your priorities. If you can offere some additional goals and objectives, you might get some good advice.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

I'm honestly surprised this kind of car apeals to a 20 something. It seems more like a 40 year old's kind of car. I got the TSX largely for my wife but am enthusiastic about the TSX and Acura because of my two previous Integras. As a 20 something looking to spend no more than 30G I'm more interested the GLI or the WRX at this point. Even though the TSX is noted for lots of luxury at a low price, for me the bluetooth, dual zone AC, memory seats, auto dimming mirror and all that can't compare to the joy of a nimble quick car. What 20 year old is having back problems already and needs a cozy Camry?

The current TSX is somewhat nimble, sorta sorta quick but the new TSX transitions into old driver territory. I don't think we are supposed to see ourselves as the gay guy cradling his little gadget, I think fourty year olds are supposed to see themselves and think of the new TSX as a fountain of youth.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM

It's funny, most of the people on this form seem to be under 30, but almost every single TSX driver I see on the road is easily 35-50. I honestly have yet to see a 20-something behind the wheel.

Maybe I'm not like all 40 year olds, but I do NOT want a car that is targeted toward a youger market - least of all to make ME feel young. I'm not young, I'm 40, and that's OK. Stuff on my body is starting to wear out. Driving comfort matters to me. Seat warmers help a sore back. Bluetooth keeps me from killing myself or others with that stupid cell phone. I'm OK with all that - I own it.

I'll say it again - 40 year olds wanting to "feel young" buy and S2000. A 40 year old buying a TSX is just someone who wants something sportier than an Accord with a small nod to the prestige of a "luxury" brand but still needs 4-doors to get the kids around town when needed.

I think if a 40-year old was a true enthusiast, they'd have the means to invest in a car that had fundamentally more performance in it.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Interestingly, I've been in two S2000s since 1999 and I'm set to move to a TSX...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Interestingly, I've been in two S2000s since 1999 and I'm set to move to a TSX...
Maybe you want some seat room? I tried one out, and I could not fit in the seat comfortably. And I'm just average sized - 5' 10" and about 180 lbs. I could not get comfortable.

So before I get too far on my soap box, my next car will be a 2-seater or at least a coupe. I just need the family car for another 6 years or so. After that, I want something fun and impractial. So long as it has comforable seats...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Maybe you want some seat room? I tried one out, and I could not fit in the seat comfortably.
Not really. I still like the size and nimbleness of the S2000, but I want to lower our payments (we have his 'n her S2000s). Also since our only racetrack has closed, we're not autocrossing or tracking the car anymore.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mokos23
60 yr olds will
Nope! 04 tsx to be a G8 GT soon...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Hello everyone - this is my first post in this forum. I must say, I completely agree with you. At the same time, I think that marketing with images of a 'younger generation' also appeals to me, a 26 year old looking to purchase a 2009 TSX this fall.

I have had two Honda's and know that I would like to buy a new car within the Honda/Acura family because of my past experiences with them. I want something more luxurious than a Civic (even though they keep getting nicer) but smaller than an Accord, which are now simply too big for me.

I've had my eyes on the TSX for a while now, and will likely decide between an '08 and '09 model later this fall. To see a car such as the Acura marketed towards a 'younger generation' also makes me feel less strange being 26 and thinking of the TSX as the perfect car for me.

I'm glad to be here, I'm planning on doing a lot of research over the next few months!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Just take to heart the recent reviews describing the handling characteristics, if not the entire car, as forgettable. I think buying the TSX in my 20's was a bit of a mistake because of its close resemblance to the family car I'll surely be forced to drive in my 30's and 40's. It's much closer to an Accord type of car than a small sports car. Before your back goes out and you slow down you might as well look at cars like the Civic Si or Subaru WRX, which are a bit faster, a bit cheaper, a bit more fun I would think, and save the fancy family car for the family.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nycgay23
Hello everyone - this is my first post in this forum. I must say, I completely agree with you. At the same time, I think that marketing with images of a 'younger generation' also appeals to me, a 26 year old looking to purchase a 2009 TSX this fall.

I have had two Honda's and know that I would like to buy a new car within the Honda/Acura family because of my past experiences with them. I want something more luxurious than a Civic (even though they keep getting nicer) but smaller than an Accord, which are now simply too big for me.

I've had my eyes on the TSX for a while now, and will likely decide between an '08 and '09 model later this fall. To see a car such as the Acura marketed towards a 'younger generation' also makes me feel less strange being 26 and thinking of the TSX as the perfect car for me.

I'm glad to be here, I'm planning on doing a lot of research over the next few months!

Welcome to the forum!

Just in case you're not aware. The 09 goes on sale April 24. So you may have difficulty finding a new 08 in the fall. In fact I'll bet you won't be able to.

Unless of course you were planning on buying used.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor

That's a very good point, and I hadn't really thought about it, to be honest! I probably will go for the '09, but it's a good thing to consider, I am waiting until the fall when my current car will be paid off.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Did any of you catch the 09 TSX review in this month's Car and Driver? Just got it last night. They basically said the 09 trades down on it's "fun to drive" factor in favor of more electronic gadetry. The 09 had lower hp (201 down from 205) and didn't have the crisp handling of the Gen I. But, it had more gizmos in the electronics.

Also that big knob in the middle (according to the article) is now common across all new Honda/Acura platforms.
got that issue as well, C&D pretty much said the car is more refined.

to quote C&D:
THE HIGHS: More muscle, more hustle, less noise, smoother ride, improved quality.
THE LOWS: Weaker breaking, evolutionary styling, youthful spirit damped by adulthood.

LOL

Acura is clearly wanting to have a "Luxury" image, this is why the RSX is gone, even though the RSX was Acura's best seller along with the TL.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to disagree here. Being in that "40+" generation, the electronic gizmos are actually of less importance. ... I find bluetooth a good thing but I don't live with my cell phone attached to the hip. Guess who does - the below 40 crowd. Adding features to a car that emphasize the recent technology trends is a direct play at the 25-35 age group.
Being in the same generation as you, I don't quite agree. I don't want passing fads (like ... "plug in your iPod!" screw you, i already have a phone, a PDA, and an XM portable that I play my MP3s on), but I do like contemporary amenities. Eg. I use the BT primarily to answer calls from friends, and I also have gotten in the habit of ordering take-out while I'm en route. Boy, that's handy. I can't tell you what good Asian and deli food I've had waiting on me when I roll in with my TSX.

Fun to drive is certainly of appeal, I didn't want a plushy-mobile, but I also didn't like the Spartan atmosphere (lack of amenities and conveniences) that the otherwise superior RSX had. I sat in a TSX, and literally felt, "Ah, now this has everything I think I need." Actually, I did have a "wants & needs" list like when you go house-shopping, and the 2006 TSX nailed that list to the sales manager's desktop.

Originally Posted by wackura
I don't think we are supposed to see ourselves as the gay guy cradling his little gadget, I think fourty year olds are supposed to see themselves and think of the new TSX as a fountain of youth.
HUH? When I need a fountain of youth, I'll get a young girlfriend. Oh, that's right ... I've got a young gf.

Originally Posted by nycgay23
Hello everyone - this is my first post in this forum. ...
I'm going to play flame-bait here but ... is that really a userid you picked out? R U 4 real? Aaaanyway, my tip would be to price out some 2006, 2007 or even a early lease return 2008 if you can find 'em. In some ways, I think the last 3 years of TSX are nicer than this newer model may turn out to be. The '09 is ULEV, sure, may have more torque (perhaps even vtec kicking in at a lower RPM, woo-wee), the iPod interface (important IF you've got one), but the NAVI's touch screen may be an improvement over the newer "big pork nose" (CR's senior auto editor) control knobby. Try one out while you can. Trust me.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

So you're over 40 and you debadge your car? That's hardcore. You're definately no over 40 in your head. I'm not surpised you'd attract a younger woman, it's all too common.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
So you're over 40 and you debadge your car? That's hardcore. You're definately no over 40 in your head. I'm not surpised you'd attract a younger woman, it's all too common.
Back to your old ways, I see. Back to the Ignore list.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

That wasn't an insult. Geez.