15000 mile service request

Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
15000 mile service request

Hey guys,

I just got a notice that the 15k service milestone is due for my 2011 TSX. However is everything they want to do required? For that matter what is the list I asked the dealer rep but he wasn't even sure. It is suppose to cost about $400 though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Do all maintenance yourself for a fraction of the price.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Acura got another thing comming if they think im shelling out $400 for a 15k service on a leased car. If they care about the car that will be returned in 36 months they will do it on their own... Only thing getting done on this side is oil changes !!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by MoaarLow
Acura got another thing comming if they think im shelling out $400 for a 15k service on a leased car. If they care about the car that will be returned in 36 months they will do it on their own... Only thing getting done on this side is oil changes !!!
This is a prime example why you should ever buy an off-lease car.

OP - what service is the car calling for? What does your owner's manual say that this service entails?

Never go by the dealer's "recommended" services. Dealers will add all sorts of un-needed services just to pad their bottom line.

Make a list of the services required by the owner's manual and ask the dealer (or an indy) to do just those services. Don't let them talk you into other stuff - it is all crap.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
@TSXKid2010 - I will try once I get the list.

@MoaarLow - This isn't a lease, though i'd caution you simply because damage to a lease car will cost you but then again this doesn't seem like required maintenance.

@ceb - The car is not asking for any service, it was a recommendation by the dealer last time and now an email update last night. I suspect its an attempt to get more money as you said.

Thanks all!

Matt
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mkeefe
@TSXKid2010 - I will try once I get the list.

@MoaarLow - This isn't a lease, though i'd caution you simply because damage to a lease car will cost you but then again this doesn't seem like required maintenance.

@ceb - The car is not asking for any service, it was a recommendation by the dealer last time and now an email update last night. I suspect its an attempt to get more money as you said.

Thanks all!

Matt
Honda/Acura doesn't have fixed maintenance schedules (but the dealers will try to sell you a fixed schedule so that they can make more money)

Wait till the car tells you to get service (at around 15% oil life.) The car will tell you what service is required (A1, A1 2, etc.) Your manual will tell you what services are required.

If a dealer tells you otherwise then find a new dealer because they are more crooked than most.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
This is a prime example why you should ever buy an off-lease car.
The dealer should maintain the vehicle if theyre concerned wth it. Out of curiosity. Whats NEEDED at 15000 miles? Besides oil changes?

Personally with ridiculous gas prices my car still sees 93 octane every tank, gets cleaned constantly, and doesnt get beaten on. I wouldnt expect a lease return to have had any service done.

Originally Posted by mkeefe
I mean, what an really be REQUIRED at 15k? There are people with 100k+ on CU2's. Whats $400? Their time to "Look For Any possible wear and tear?"
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
at 15K im gonna assume you need an A or B1 service. the manual also recommends changing your cabin and air filter at 15K miles. dealers charge 150-250 for this service i believe. you can do it yourself for 50-60 bucks(cost of both filters) and about 20 minutes of your time. if it is a B1, that also includes a pretty full inspection and oil change + tire rotation. my dealer charges $90 for it, i've seen dealers charge nearly 200 which i think is absurd. that could be where the $400 comes from. i'd never pay it lol. find out exactly when they want to do. but maintenance depends on your driving style and area. filter can be shitty in 10-15K miles if there is a high pollen and pollutant count for your area, or can last 20-25K miles im sure. don't bring the car in until your oil is at 15% and you get a code telling you what the car wants. fuck the dealer hahaha

Last edited by PyroDave; 03-28-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
+1 on not buying off-lease

I know buying used always makes more sense, but when it comes to off-lease cars chances are the owners just didnt give a fuck about proper maintenance and care because of the "it wont be my problem" attitude. Which it seems like pretty much everyone is carrying around these days.

to the op:

If the maintenance minder is telling you get service done you should get it done then, try searching up old threads we definitely have a list of what is required of each service, like dave said, you should have a code with your service

A and B services should happen every other, and the number after the letter is important too.

Some things like the cabin filters are so simple and you should def. do it by yourself and save a ton of dough, other things like oil change it depends on what you feel like doing.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The dealer should maintain the vehicle if theyre concerned wth it. Out of curiosity. Whats NEEDED at 15000 miles? Besides oil changes?

You'll spend thousands on mods but you won't spend a few hundred for routine maintenance?

Personally with ridiculous gas prices my car still sees 93 octane every tank, gets cleaned constantly, and doesnt get beaten on. I wouldnt expect a lease return to have had any service done.

You are REQUIRED by your lease (a binding legal contract) to do ALL maintenance that is required by your owner's manual. The manufacturer/dealer may ask for proof of maintenance upon lease return and charge you for anything they feel necessary to bring your car up to standard.

I mean, what an really be REQUIRED at 15k? There are people with 100k+ on CU2's. Whats $400? Their time to "Look For Any possible wear and tear?"
If you had bothered to read your owner's manual then you would know what the maintenance schedule is and what is required when the car calls for maintenance.

The indifference and ignorance about maintaining your car when you think nothing of dropping big bucks on cosmetic mods makes me livid.
The following users liked this post:
Robert4 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
follow MID, and your owner's manual.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You have me on my soapbox now

I find it incredible that some of you out there are completely ignorant about maintaining your cars yet you think that you are experts on mods - and quite frankly many of those mods are pretty tacky (although tacky is in the eye of the beholder) and shouldn't belong on a ten year old Corolla.

In my short time here I've seen just too many badly fitting body bits that look like they are held on with chewing gum - don't you have pride in your cars?

Maintenance is like going to the dentist - it is expensive, can be painful and (if deferred) will be more expensive and more painful.

That said, dealers are expensive and may not be required for many of the services. You have several options if you are an informed consumer.

Step 1 - read the damn owner's manual. If you are on this forum then we can assume that you can read

Step 2 - Look up what is required for each service (A/B, 1/2 etc.) and decide which of those services you can do yourself.

Step 3 - Do stuff yourself. Even if you have no time and no technical skills (like me) then there are several things you can do yourself. What things? How about?

• check shift interlock - you do that every single time you shift out of park. Try shifting out of park without stepping on the brake. Doesn't go out of park? Great - one service less for the dealer to do.
  • Turn your lights on and walk around the car. Are all the lights on? Great - another service out of the way.
  • Start the car without putting on your seatbelt. Got a warning light and chime? Great - third test done.
  • yada, yada, yada
Have you ever changed a light bulb in your house? Then you can save about $50 by changing your own cabin air filter. Takes no tools, doesn't require opening the hood and can be done in 5 minutes. The hardest part is cleaning out the junk in your glovebox.

Feeling a bit more mechanical? Then save another $50 and change your airfilter. This includes popping the hood, getting your hands a little dirty and takes 10 minutes.

The bottom line is that you can do yourself and save a bunch of money. Much of it without getting dirty or risking breaking a fingernail (for the ladies out there)

If you don't have the skills, desires or tools to DIY everything, then let the dealer (or an indy) do the oil change, brake fluid flush, tire rotations and so forth (depending on what the service requires)

However, you won't be able to do any of that and will be taken to the cleaners by the dealer, if you don't educate yourself about maintenance requirements for your car - the requirements are the same if you own or lease it.
The following 8 users liked this post by ceb:
Acura_Dude (03-28-2012), ed_423 (03-28-2012), iamitman (03-29-2012), KillerG (03-28-2012), levistar (04-01-2012), mkeefe (04-01-2012), mrstak (03-29-2012), TLtrigirl (03-28-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Op is too busy to care

Hey... I have a modded 10 year old corolla...

Low blow dude...

Solid advice all around though,

While I loves me some sweet mods, you cant completely ignore function due to form, and not caring for your car, lease or not, is pretty god damn stupid

Also, always visit your dentists, and pay them lots of money
The following 3 users liked this post by KillerG:
Acura_Dude (03-28-2012), ceb (03-28-2012), ed_423 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KillerG

Low blow dude...

While I loves me some sweet mods, you cant completely ignore function due to form, and not caring for your car, lease or not, is pretty god damn stupid

Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Low blow dude...

My dentist goes on a ski trip everytime I go in......
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

killer is studying to be a dentist. that is why kids fear the dentist...
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
killer is studying to be a dentist. that is why kids fear the dentist...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
My dentist goes on a ski trip everytime I go in......
does he ski on roof spoilers? heard that's a pretty popular skiing spot lately
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

i wonder what ceb does. i assume kids are afraid of that too killer and ceb should open up a house of horror for kids, starring them
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Op is too busy to care

I am kind of curious too ceb,

pyro you can join us at the house of horrors and drug all the kids before they are sent in
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
or he can "pyrodip" them in the end ;D
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ed_423
or he can "pyrodip" them in the end ;D
ed only you could make it dirty. every kid has a prize at the end, eds mom
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
If you had bothered to read your owner's manual then you would know what the maintenance schedule is and what is required when the car calls for maintenance.

The indifference and ignorance about maintaining your car when you think nothing of dropping big bucks on cosmetic mods makes me livid.
Originally Posted by ceb

I find it incredible that some of you out there are completely ignorant about maintaining your cars yet you think that you are experts on mods - and quite frankly many of those mods are pretty tacky (although tacky is in the eye of the beholder) and shouldn't belong on a ten year old Corolla.

In my short time here I've seen just too many badly fitting body bits that look like they are held on with chewing gum - don't you have pride in your cars?

Maintenance is like going to the dentist - it is expensive, can be painful and (if deferred) will be more expensive and more painful.

That said, dealers are expensive and may not be required for many of the services. You have several options if you are an informed consumer.

Step 1 - read the damn owner's manual. If you are on this forum then we can assume that you can read

Step 2 - Look up what is required for each service (A/B, 1/2 etc.) and decide which of those services you can do yourself.

Step 3 - Do stuff yourself. Even if you have no time and no technical skills (like me) then there are several things you can do yourself. What things? How about?

• check shift interlock - you do that every single time you shift out of park. Try shifting out of park without stepping on the brake. Doesn't go out of park? Great - one service less for the dealer to do.
  • Turn your lights on and walk around the car. Are all the lights on? Great - another service out of the way.
  • Start the car without putting on your seatbelt. Got a warning light and chime? Great - third test done.
  • yada, yada, yada
Have you ever changed a light bulb in your house? Then you can save about $50 by changing your own cabin air filter. Takes no tools, doesn't require opening the hood and can be done in 5 minutes. The hardest part is cleaning out the junk in your glovebox.

Feeling a bit more mechanical? Then save another $50 and change your airfilter. This includes popping the hood, getting your hands a little dirty and takes 10 minutes.

The bottom line is that you can do yourself and save a bunch of money. Much of it without getting dirty or risking breaking a fingernail (for the ladies out there)

If you don't have the skills, desires or tools to DIY everything, then let the dealer (or an indy) do the oil change, brake fluid flush, tire rotations and so forth (depending on what the service requires)

However, you won't be able to do any of that and will be taken to the cleaners by the dealer, if you don't educate yourself about maintenance requirements for your car - the requirements are the same if you own or lease it.
Save the Essays for anything directed towards me, If you think it's ignorant that Someone (I) won't spend $400 for someone to rotate my tires, Change an air or cabin filter, Oil changes Etc you're the ignorant one. A person with no sense can do the above. And in regards to the spending thousands on mods you have the wrong person, Never will I ever spend thousands modding a leased vehicle.

OP do it yourself. No reason why at 15,000 miles you need to spend $400

Most leased vehicles are returned with 20-40k. You guys are telling me you wouldn't buy a lease return because a cabin filter wasn't changed? or tires weren't rotated? REALLY?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb

Originally Posted by ceb

• yada, yada, yada

Save the Essays for anything directed towards me, If you think it's ignorant that Someone (I) won't spend $400 for someone to rotate my tires, Change an air or cabin filter, Oil changes Etc you're the ignorant one. A person with no sense can do the above. And in regards to the spending thousands on mods you have the wrong person, Never will I ever spend thousands modding a leased vehicle.

Most leased vehicles are returned with 20-40k. You guys are telling me you wouldn't buy a lease return because a cabin filter wasn't changed? or tires weren't rotated? REALLY? && save the whole if they didn't change a filter they didn't change oil or any BS along those lines
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Pro

Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect charging system and belts
Inspect/Adjust/Change Service front and rear brakes
Inspect/Adjust/Change Alignment (optional)
Inspect/Adjust/Change System Road Test
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect hoses
Inspect/Adjust/Change Rotate and balance tires
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect front and rear brakes
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect exhaust system
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace engine oil and filter
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace drain plug washer
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect and Top Up all fluid levels
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect tire pressure, lights, horn, and wipers

99% of this can be done yourself. 25-30k I can agree that a dealer service is nessesary
But forthr most part it's Inspexting and replacing oil. Here's a Link OP
http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...-30476-51982-0

Last edited by MoaarLow; 03-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Most leased vehicles are returned with 20-40k. You guys are telling me you wouldn't buy a lease return because a cabin filter wasn't changed? or tires weren't rotated? REALLY? && save the whole if they didn't change a filter they didn't change oil or any BS along those lines
I take it back. There are some people on this board who cant read - or can't comprehend what they've read.

You are the only person reading this thread who thinks that I'm advocating spending $400 for the second service.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect charging system and belts
Inspect/Adjust/Change Service front and rear brakes
Inspect/Adjust/Change Alignment (optional)
Inspect/Adjust/Change System Road Test
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect hoses
Inspect/Adjust/Change Rotate and balance tires
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect front and rear brakes
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect exhaust system
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace engine oil and filter
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace drain plug washer
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect and Top Up all fluid levels
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect tire pressure, lights, horn, and wipers

99% of this can be done yourself.
Had you been able to comprehend what I wrote then you would have noticed that I said the same thing.

You have lost all credibility in my eyes because you contend that it is OK not to service a leased car.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Had you been able to comprehend what I wrote then you would have noticed that I said the same thing.

You have lost all credibility in my eyes because you contend that it is OK not to service a leased car.
What you think of me doesn't affect me. As far as comprehending, you quoted something I said and took off running with it. I never said maintaining a vehicle wasn't important. I maintain all of my vehicles and am ANAL about them.

Pyro will vouch, We did my fogs, i wanted Every Single clip back on underneath Why? Just because they belong there and I wanted them back on

What I said was a dealer wasn't getting $400 from me. all they're getting from me are oil changes. There's no reason why thu should charge Hundreds to "inspect" things. You used y quote to support why yo wouldn't buy a leased vehicle. Just because it isn't maintained by a dealer doesn't mean it wasn't cared for.

And even at a dealer your cars maintanance isn't in safe hands at all time.
A buddy of Mine took his Evo9 in for servicing. Rookie mechanic didn't tighten the drain plug completely, Leaked, ran dry and Boom went his motor
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
i think some of the stuff you guys were both quoting/saying was lost in translation. i'm pretty sure moarlow didn't mean that he wasn't EVER going to maintain his car, just that he wasn't going to pay 400 for it when he can do it himself. only big ticket item would be the oil changes.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Your quote - not mine.

What you think of me doesn't affect me. As far as comprehending, you quoted something I said and took off running with it. I never said maintaining a vehicle wasn't important. I maintain all of my vehicles and am ANAL about them.

Pyro will vouch, We did my fogs, i wanted Every Single clip back on underneath Why? Just because they belong there and I wanted them back on

What I said was a dealer wasn't getting $400 from me. all they're getting from me are oil changes. There's no reason why thu should charge Hundreds to "inspect" things. You used y quote to support why yo wouldn't buy a leased vehicle. Just because it isn't maintained by a dealer doesn't mean it wasn't cared for.

And even at a dealer your cars maintanance isn't in safe hands at all time.
A buddy of Mine took his Evo9 in for servicing. Rookie mechanic didn't tighten the drain plug completely, Leaked, ran dry and Boom went his motor
This comes back to that reading/comprehension thing I was talking about.

I never said or implied that you should have all servicing done at a dealer. I frequently mentioned and independent garage if you don't DIY.

The bottom line is that all of the items in the maintenance schedule should be completed. You can either do them all yourself, go to the dealer to have them all done, pay an indy to do them - or - you can do some yourself and pay somebody else to do the rest - but they should all be completed.

One of the things that will come up during your lease is a brake fluid flush. Skipping that might not affect you during your lease but may well give the next owner trouble in the form of corrosion and a possible failed master cylinder. I'm sure you don't intend to do that either.

You can try to backpedal all you like but you've clearly stated your position. All you can say say at this point is "I didn't consider that, maybe I should do all those checks now. I'm smart enough, I can do most all that myself."
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrstak
i think some of the stuff you guys were both quoting/saying was lost in translation. i'm pretty sure moarlow didn't mean that he wasn't EVER going to maintain his car, just that he wasn't going to pay 400 for it when he can do it himself. only big ticket item would be the oil changes.
If it were only that simple.

I'd gladly give him the benefit of the doubt if he quit trying to justify his statements.

I just want to make sure that others don't look at this thread and say "fuck it, it is only a lease, I'm not doing anything.."
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Pro

Thank You Stak!
It was as Simple as that
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro

I am going to justify my statement. Im not gonna let you take what I said and switch it up. YES if they care so much about "inspecting" they could do it on their Own. Fine me something that an average enthusiast can't do on that list?

They can inspect whatever they want when my car is there for an oil change or for any updates. But they aren't milking me for HUNDREDS of Dollars for inspecting things. SIMPLE
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb

I never said or implied that you should have all servicing done at a dealer. I frequently mentioned and independent garage if you "
and I NEVER SAID or IMPLIED no maintanance should ever be done to a leased vehicle . Simple. But typical Ceb.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I am going to justify my statement. Im not gonna let you take what I said and switch it up. YES if they care so much about "inspecting" they could do it on their Own. Fine me something that an average enthusiast can't do on that list?

They can inspect whatever they want when my car is there for an oil change or for any updates. But they aren't milking me for HUNDREDS of Dollars for inspecting things. SIMPLE
Sigh.... You're so right...

I guess they quit teaching reading comprehension in school. I know you said, everybody else knows what you said - only you don't comprehend what you said.

You can't come back now and say that you do all those checks yourself because that would contradict what you said in your first post.

Anyway, back to the topic - OP, wait until your car asks for service (at 15% oil life) and then check your oewner's manual to see what needs to be done. Decide what you can do and what you want to pay the dealer (or an indy) to do - but do all of the items listed. I'd bet you can do it all for under $100.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Sigh.... You're so right...

I guess they quit teaching reading comprehension in school. I know you said, everybody else knows what you said - only you don't comprehend what you said.

You can't come back now and say that you do all those checks yourself because that would contradict what you said in your first post.

Anyway, back to the topic - OP, wait until your car asks for service (at 15% oil life) and then check your oewner's manual to see what needs to be done. Decide what you can do and what you want to pay the dealer (or an indy) to do - but do all of the items listed. I'd bet you can do it all for under $100.
Ok Ceb I'm sorry I left out @ the dealership, Would you like me to restate it?
The only service the dealer will see from me are oil changes.
Blc thats what I've been been saying in the last 10 post.

Why don't you Tell me the percentage of car owners who do EVERYTHING on the maintence list for a 15k 20k 30k. Only a handful of us have Under 15k on our CU2s. so how many people have done everything on the list for all the intervals?

As far as education save it dude I'm not the one, Not 17 in HS. I'm college educated. would you like a transcript post? I'm almost positive my GPA would speak for itself.

Seems like you have a females trait. I'll let you have the last word if it makes you feel better.

Stak understood what I was saying so I'm sure others will as well.

Tell them why YOU MAD ceb

Last edited by MoaarLow; 03-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Op is too busy to care

Ok Ceb I'm sorry I left out @ the dealership, Would you like me to restate it?
The only service the dealer will see from me are oil changes.
Blc thats what I've been been saying in the last 10 post.

Why don't you Tell me the percentage of car owners who do EVERYTHING on the maintence list for a 15k 20k 30k. Only a handful of us have Under 15k on our CU2s. so how many people have done everything on the list for all the intervals?

As far as education save it dude I'm not the one, Not 17 in HS.
I'm college educated. would you like a transcript post? I'm almost positive my GPA would speak for itself.

Seems like you have a females trait. I'll let you have the last word if it makes you feel better.

Stak understood what I was saying so I'm sure others will as well.

Tell them why YOU MAD ceb

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Pro

I know Ceb would be the one to ask for a little something

Effortless 3.59 after 27 credits, Fckn W Idk where anything else is

Just for Ceb's Lack of Comprehension. Theres a Ceb on every forum. His information is useful, I have nothing against him. Just seems like he thinks people owe him something. Here you go BRAAAHHHH
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Op is too busy to care

Art major bro?

What did you withdraw from? Too hard bro?

3.59? You call that a GPA?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15000 mile service request