100k service

Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
100k service

I just did my 100k service today on my '09. A14 came on at about 104000. I replaced the spark plugs (NGK 5787), serpentine belt (Gates K070677), and the oil/filter and rotated the tires. This is my first vehicle that requires a valve clearance inspection. I bought the Honda valve cover gasket kit, some Honda Bond liquid gasket, feeler gauges and the jam nut tool. Got everything except the oil (pennzoil platinum 5w-20) on Amazon for about $125. Does anyone know what the dealer charges for this (A14) service?

I only ended up adjusting 4 out of the 16 valves. 2 exhaust valves on cylinder 1 were a bit loose, and 2 intake valves, one on cylinder 2 and one on 4 were a little tight. This is confusing since I've read that intakes tend to loosen and exhausts tend to tighten over time. Most of mine were fine and those that weren't were the opposite of what I expected. It runs great though and I had nothing unexpected except the rodent nest I found under the front plastic engine cover (down under the fuel rail). Glad to have that vacuumed out. The serpentine belt was a bit of a tight fit to get the new one on, but I managed. It seems like the tensioner should have just a little more range to get the belt on.

I just bought this car in October. I've put about 9k on it so far without issue. It was fun to work on it a bit, and overall I feel pretty accomplished for the day. :-)

Last edited by pL2009; 04-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
plumpduck (08-10-2019)

Search this Thread