09 TSX Ride & Drive

Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
about::blank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 TSX Ride & Drive

Just wanted to say a few brief things about the 09 TSX. I gotta admit, when I first saw the brochures and photos for the new grill and the body, I was a bit skeptical about the design. After the Ride & Drive today, I can honestly say that pictures DO NOT do this car justice, it is very very nice. I apologize in advance if this seems choppy, but I am rushing.

Exterior:
The most controversial part of this new redesign is obviously the grill. When the 07 MDX came out, I wasn't pleased with the grill, but it did grow on me and now I kind of like it. The 09 TSX's grill is no exception. The whole car has a very edgy/sporty design, and the grill compliments the body very well. It isn't excessive and does not protrude as much as it appears to in the pictures. In the previous gen TSX, when you shut the door, it sounds a bit 'hollow'. In the new model, it sounds very solid, like an MDX almost.

Interior:
Wow! Talk about a fantastic upgrade. The lines are clean, the seats are extremely supportive, yet very soft and comfortable. The interior lighting is nice and the buttons have a quality feel to them. The Nav screen is placed nice and high, but it does have a second piece of plastic a couple of inches in front of the screen that may reflect light and cause some glare. The steering wheel is thick and the buttons are easy to reach and push. The shifter has been changed, the gate is gone. There is more rear passenger room as well, which is something the previous model TSX lacked. I like the fact that both the Base & Tech models will have the USB audio interfaces, that is a pretty cool feature. We plugged an iPhone into the center console and everything worked flawlessly. The rear camera looked good, and I am glad they added the automatic tilt side mirror(it's about time). The trunk is HUGE btw, it is amazing that they can get so much room out of the vehicle.

Drive:
We had a chance to drive an A4, 328i & an IS 250. I just have to say it right off the bat, the A4 2.0T is extremely sloppy. I could not believe how much body roll the Audi has, and it feels very heavy. Once the turbo spools it has nice pick-up, but the handling is horrible.

The interior of the TSX is extremely quiet, my coworker didn't even realize the car was on once the door was closed. On the outside, it sounds very similar to the previous gen model when it starts. Even though it is a similar engine, and the HP output is slightly lower, it accelerates very smoothly. The power-band seems very linear and does not drop off like the IS seemed to. Entry into, and exit from the TSX is easy, the doors open nice and wide and the headroom is good(I am 6'1"). I bumped my head when getting into the back seat of the IS. The new TSX has a nice growl as it revs, and it sounds quite a bit deeper. The new suspension works well, the ride is very smooth. The new electronic steering control is very nice as well, it is unbelievably responsive and smooth. In the slalom, it goes exactly where you want it to. We also simulated a rapid lane change, and the new steering system put me exactly where I wanted to go. The have done a lot to increase rigidity in the frame, and to beef up the suspension, and body roll is minimal.

I will add more later, I have to eat.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Acura Sales and Leasing

Our ride and drive in Boston is May 1. I can't wait...

Did they have a new RL there?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DRochefort
Our ride and drive in Boston is May 1. I can't wait...

Did they have a new RL there?

It was my very first one, and it was a lot of fun. Yes, they did.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Interior:
I forgot to mention, when your iPod is connected to the USB adapter, it charges your iPod as well. They stressed that not all iPods will work, mainly just the newer models(classic, touch, iphone, etc.) One neat capability of the USB adapter is that you can plug in a regular flash drive and it will read mp3, wma or aac format music. The Bluetooth audio system is pretty neat. If your cell phone has an ADP(audio distribution profile) then you can connect it to the Handsfreelink system and listen to music through the car via Bluetooth.

XM Note:
If you hear a song that you like, and do not know the Artist or Album, you can push and hold the XM button down to capture 10-seconds of the song and the Artist/Album info. The system can store 30 of these clips.

XM Weather:
Pretty neat, apparently it uses the same system that aircrafts use. You can see weather conditions across the US.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nice to hear!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! The car is sounding better and better.....making me want to give up my '04! I must resist.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like an all around improvement. Not quantum leap, but improvement nevertheless.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an iPhone this year, and loaded half my CD collection on it (the newer half). I am really looking forward to playing my music collection in my car. I am assuming the USB connection also charges the iPod/iPhone?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Dammit. My '04 is really making me wish I had more tech goodies on my car. Next time around, I'm getting the navi, and it sure as hell will be nice to have bluetooth and iPod connectivity, and all the other stuff the 06+ came with. I am trying SO hard not to be tempted to trade in my car.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow..yeah...I agree with the others. When I first saw this car in C&D I was sooooo upset. I screamed, threw the magazine down on the ground and started ranting about how they screwed up my car.

But after reading your post, it seems like all the goodies would be hard to pass up. I even have the '06 which is a little more updated than some here who posted with an '04, but I love my gadgets and I wouldn't mind a few more

Maybe I'll have to reconsider that fugly grille...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Dammit. My '04 is really making me wish I had more tech goodies on my car. Next time around, I'm getting the navi, and it sure as hell will be nice to have bluetooth and iPod connectivity, and all the other stuff the 06+ came with. I am trying SO hard not to be tempted to trade in my car.
Just remember all the problems with the first year model. If that is not enough to keep you at bay, God help you!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
Just remember all the problems with the first year model. If that is not enough to keep you at bay, God help you!
I had 4 different Acuras in their first model year, including my 04 TSX. No trouble at all. Don't believe everything you here.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know. I learned my lesson, but it's still hard to resist.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Pro

Aside from rattles, I doubt there is any reason to worry about a 1st year TSX. The engine, transmissions, and some of the electronic components are largely the same and have proven reliable.

On a side note, isn't the current TSX Acura's most reliable vehicle?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by prballard
I had 4 different Acuras in their first model year, including my 04 TSX. No trouble at all. Don't believe everything you here.
My '04 TSX is my first Honda/Acura product and I'll just say I won't buy another first year model again. A lot of people on here have had a few problems, some of which are very expensive to fix out of warranty (the A/C compressor and center console lights, for example). I've had a number of the problems mentioned on here myself, so while yours may be fine, many have had trouble.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Aside from rattles, I doubt there is any reason to worry about a 1st year TSX. The engine, transmissions, and some of the electronic components are largely the same and have proven reliable.

On a side note, isn't the current TSX Acura's most reliable vehicle?
Engines and transmissions have been fine for the most part, but again, search for A/C problems and the center console lights (aka HVAC lights) threads and you'll see what has happened. Both the compressor problems and center console lights are over $1500 each to fix, and some have had either or both go more than once.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Pro

I won't argue that "some" people haven't had problems, because no car is perfect. Still, statistically speaking, Acura is better than nearly all brands on the market, so the chance of you having problems with a first year model TSX should be pretty small. An acceptable risk IMO.

Statistical evidence > anecdotal evidence
Old 04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I won't argue that "some" people haven't had problems, because no car is perfect. Still, statistically speaking, Acura is better than nearly all brands on the market, so the chance of you having problems with a first year model TSX should be pretty small. An acceptable risk IMO.

Statistical evidence > anecdotal evidence
Let's agree to disagree. Search for the threads I mentioned and you'll see the statistical evidence.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wouldn't touch another first year model regardless of make.

And CR rates 04's lower on the reliability scale. And there are far more TSB's for 04's than there are any other year. Thats all the evidence I need.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Acura Sales and Leasing

Even if you don't like the styling as much, you will not be able to resist to technology for sure. I played with the nav weather this morning and it was effing sweet. Acura's and hondas have the tendency to grow on you tremendously. I like the exteriro style of my 04 TL better than my new 08, but i could never go back to the 04 in terms of all the extra technology in my 08 Navi. The new nav, the back up camera, traffic, and ipod input are just things that can over power you after awhile, and the new TSX will do it I promise.

The only thing the car needs is nice 18 inch wheels.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Originally Posted by DRochefort
Even if you don't like the styling as much, you will not be able to resist to technology for sure. I played with the nav weather this morning and it was effing sweet. Acura's and hondas have the tendency to grow on you tremendously. I like the exteriro style of my 04 TL better than my new 08, but i could never go back to the 04 in terms of all the extra technology in my 08 Navi. The new nav, the back up camera, traffic, and ipod input are just things that can over power you after awhile, and the new TSX will do it I promise.

The only thing the car needs is nice 18 inch wheels.
How about 50 extra horsepower and ft-lbs. of torque...
Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Originally Posted by prballard
You have been extremely lucky. No wonder you have such an optimistic view of everything Acura. It's not what I hear, it is what I know. I have an '04 and have had my fair share of problems. I am used to owning Honda products that run for years without anything beyond regular maintenance. Not the case with this vehicle and I attribute it to being a 1st year model. All it takes is a little reading and research on this site to know what I am saying (and others) is true. I had a $1400 repair to the A/C compressor, a shifting/rocking driver's seat replaced under warrantee, an f'ed up throttle body that was cleaned for a discounted amount (less than $200) and my center console lights go on and off (I am afraid to have them replaced based on what I have read here.). I also have a rev issue going on between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. All that said it can in no way be attributed to my driving style. My daily commute is 100 miles roundtrip of 90% highway. I once got 85,000 miles out of a set of tires if that gives you an indication of my driving style. So my suggestion to you and jwaters is get your head out of the sand and begin living with the rest of us in reality. Acura/Honda can do wrong!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the 06 (2 years after the original release) is the sweet spot for the first gen TSX then this is good news for my next car, the 2011 TSX.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Finally the emotions are calming. The new 09 TSX will be a compelling car for those wanting to enter the entry level luxury car market. It's gonna be cross shopped with the IS250, VW Jetta, A3 & A4 2.0 and so forth. Comparatively speaking it should hold it's own in terms of driving dynamics. Interior it will probably be in the upper third of the competition. Finally, for reliability it will either lead or be near the top.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman
I bought an iPhone this year, and loaded half my CD collection on it (the newer half). I am really looking forward to playing my music collection in my car. I am assuming the USB connection also charges the iPod/iPhone?
Yes, it does charge them

I was really glad to see that it will read music files from a USB Flash Drive.
You also do not need to have the Tech model just to play your MP3s because even the Base model will have the USB connection.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Pro

You have been extremely lucky. No wonder you have such an optimistic view of everything Acura. It's not what I hear, it is what I know. I have an '04 and have had my fair share of problems. I am used to owning Honda products that run for years without anything beyond regular maintenance. Not the case with this vehicle and I attribute it to being a 1st year model. All it takes is a little reading and research on this site to know what I am saying (and others) is true. I had a $1400 repair to the A/C compressor, a shifting/rocking driver's seat replaced under warrantee, an f'ed up throttle body that was cleaned for a discounted amount (less than $200) and my center console lights go on and off (I am afraid to have them replaced based on what I have read here.). I also have a rev issue going on between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. All that said it can in no way be attributed to my driving style. My daily commute is 100 miles roundtrip of 90% highway. I once got 85,000 miles out of a set of tires if that gives you an indication of my driving style. So my suggestion to you and jwaters is get your head out of the sand and begin living with the rest of us in reality. Acura/Honda can do wrong!
First, let me start by saying that I'm sorry you've had such issues with your TSX. It seems like a bit too many problems to simply chalk up to bad luck, and I'm sure it certainly feels that way to you.

With that said, aside from Toyota/Lexus (who, if you take the time to go to any Toyota forum is having some problems of their own), who would you say makes more reliable, trouble-free vehicles than Honda/Acura? I certainly can't think of any automaker out there. As long as cars are built and engineered by humans there will be issues.

For every person who is unhappy with their Honda/Acura product, I can point you to 10 more that love theirs. Out of all of the Honda/Acura vehicles I've owned ('97 Civic [1st model year], '98 CR-V [1st model year], '99 TL [1st model year], '02 Civic [2nd model year], '06 Pilot) none of which had any problems other than a couple rattles and premature failure of the battery. If I had your experiences I probably wouldn't jump at the chance to buy another Honda made product either (at least a 1st model year). I owned two VW's that both gave me problems and I can't see me going back to them anytime soon. My '02 Passat was in the shop for warranty work 18 times in 3.5 years of ownership! Still, if I read in CR & JD Power that their reliability ratings had greatly improved I would probably buy one of their vehicles again. Why? Because I believe statistics more than I do the ramblings of dissatisfied owners on an internet message board. Maybe my head is just "burried in the sand", but I think the reason why forums like these even exist, aside from sharing one's excitement over getting a new car, is to complain about and/or seek help and feedback about any problems you might be experiencing with your vehicle. Going to an internet car forum expecting to find people talking about how perfect their car is running, is kind of like going to the doctors office looking for healthy people.

Lastly, your little snide comment was neither appreciated, nor warranted.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by JAB00
Finally the emotions are calming. The new 09 TSX will be a compelling car for those wanting to enter the entry level luxury car market. It's gonna be cross shopped with the IS250, VW Jetta, A3 & A4 2.0 and so forth. Comparatively speaking it should hold it's own in terms of driving dynamics. Interior it will probably be in the upper third of the competition. Finally, for reliability it will either lead or be near the top.
Being in the business, I can honestly say that the strongest competitor is the IS in this class of vehicle. The IS has a V6, a nice design and ventilated seats, but I personally think the TSX has many more advantages. First off, the TSX is more of a value because you do get sooo many more standard features for the money. It may be a 4cyl, but it is extremely smooth and it does have enough power to get you where you need to go. It is much more FUN to drive than the IS too, and definitely has a more sporty feel to it. Again, the new electronic steering system used in the TSX is really responsive. I am 6'2" and when I sat in the front seat of the IS comfortably, nobody could sit behind me, there just isn't any room. When I tried to sit in the back seat of the IS, I bumped my big head..ouch. The rear space has been increased in the TSX, so everyone will be happy about that.

BTW the A4 2.0 is a joke. Once the turbo kicks in, sure it is fast, but it gives a driver a very sloppy drive(tons of body-roll).

The interior was very nice. The placement of all the buttons is excellent, and the feel of the buttons is also fantastic. As with the previous models, the systems are definitely easy to use.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Advanced

No iPod Touch?!?

Hi everyone. I'm new here; been browsing for a couple days and just joined in today. I've been in the market for a new car for about a year.. saving up a down payment, and am looking now at the new TSX. I looked at the TL forever, and I still like it, but it's definitely at the upper band of my price range. There's definitely been some back and forth on the styling of it, but I'm going to reserve my opinions until I can see it in person sometime next week.

But did I really read that correctly? iPod Touch isn't going to work in the new TSX??? How could they do that to so many people? Seems like a lot of the current gen iPods aren't going to be compatible. That's one of my "gotta have" features in my new car, so this could honestly push me away....
Old 04-19-2008, 01:24 AM
D

Originally Posted by PointQ
Hi everyone. I'm new here; been browsing for a couple days and just joined in today. I've been in the market for a new car for about a year.. saving up a down payment, and am looking now at the new TSX. I looked at the TL forever, and I still like it, but it's definitely at the upper band of my price range. There's definitely been some back and forth on the styling of it, but I'm going to reserve my opinions until I can see it in person sometime next week.

But did I really read that correctly? iPod Touch isn't going to work in the new TSX??? How could they do that to so many people? Seems like a lot of the current gen iPods aren't going to be compatible. That's one of my "gotta have" features in my new car, so this could honestly push me away....
It was mentioned earlier that it will only work with "newer" iPods including the Touch and iPhone.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TallyCL-S
I like the fact that both the Base & Tech models will have the USB audio interfaces, that is a pretty cool feature. We plugged an iPhone into the center console and everything worked flawlessly.
So it looks like if an iPhone worked, maybe the iPod Touch will
Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Pro

Yes, the iPod touch works with the USB interface. It was mentioned in a few places that it works with all new (e.g. current) iPods, as Draconis77 stated above.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Ahh, yeah I read his post wrong. Thought he said it *wont* work with "newer" iPods. My bad.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TallyCL-S
Drive:
We had a chance to drive an A4, 328i & an IS 250. I just have to say it right off the bat, the A4 2.0T is extremely sloppy. I could not believe how much body roll the Audi has, and it feels very heavy. Once the turbo spools it has nice pick-up, but the handling is horrible.
I've been to ride and drives for the CL, RSX, 04 TSX, 04 TL and 05 RL. At the last three they provided us with an Audi to try out and every one was as you describe. Terrible handling, sloppy steering, body roll up the wazoo. We drove automatics but even in these, the gas and brake were so far apart, I couldn't imagine trying to 'heel and toe' if it's the same in a manual. Chalk me up as one who thinks Audi's best days were when they were called Auto Union.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Race Director

good write-up, but still not going to get me into a new 09 TSX.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
If the 06 (2 years after the original release) is the sweet spot for the first gen TSX then this is good news for my next car, the 2011 TSX.
Viva el Long View.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the great info. It basically confirms what I suspected: aside from a few iffy exterior design elements and really needing a secondary engine option to provide more power or a diesel to those who want it, the new TSX is one very fine and well made vehicle. It excels with tremendous tech features, a high level of luxury, fine handling, and a very reasonable price tag. Once Acura adds a diesel, I'll probably make the TSX my first new car.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
> 100K Mile Club Member

First, let me start by saying that I'm sorry you've had such issues with your TSX. It seems like a bit too many problems to simply chalk up to bad luck, and I'm sure it certainly feels that way to you.

With that said, aside from Toyota/Lexus (who, if you take the time to go to any Toyota forum is having some problems of their own), who would you say makes more reliable, trouble-free vehicles than Honda/Acura? I certainly can't think of any automaker out there. As long as cars are built and engineered by humans there will be issues.

For every person who is unhappy with their Honda/Acura product, I can point you to 10 more that love theirs. Out of all of the Honda/Acura vehicles I've owned ('97 Civic [1st model year], '98 CR-V [1st model year], '99 TL [1st model year], '02 Civic [2nd model year], '06 Pilot) none of which had any problems other than a couple rattles and premature failure of the battery. If I had your experiences I probably wouldn't jump at the chance to buy another Honda made product either (at least a 1st model year). I owned two VW's that both gave me problems and I can't see me going back to them anytime soon. My '02 Passat was in the shop for warranty work 18 times in 3.5 years of ownership! Still, if I read in CR & JD Power that their reliability ratings had greatly improved I would probably buy one of their vehicles again. Why? Because I believe statistics more than I do the ramblings of dissatisfied owners on an internet message board. Maybe my head is just "burried in the sand", but I think the reason why forums like these even exist, aside from sharing one's excitement over getting a new car, is to complain about and/or seek help and feedback about any problems you might be experiencing with your vehicle. Going to an internet car forum expecting to find people talking about how perfect their car is running, is kind of like going to the doctors office looking for healthy people.

Lastly, your little snide comment was neither appreciated, nor warranted.
Don't disagree with what you are saying here. I am not arguing that Honda/Acura is not the most reliable car maker going. I am arguing that the first year model of any car will be statistically more problematic than subsequent model years. I learned this the hard way. I am also arguing that you and PRBallard are not willing to admit that the '04 TSX is a somewhat problematic vehicle. It is well documented yet you are not willing to admit it. I call that close-mindedness and Honda/Acura bias. Online forums are also filled with opinions, which is what I gave. If that offended you, then you might need to grow thicker skin or reevaluate what you get when you visit online forums.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Don't disagree with what you are saying here. I am not arguing that Honda/Acura is not the most reliable car maker going. I am arguing that the first year model of any car will be statistically more problematic than subsequent model years. I learned this the hard way. I am also arguing that you and PRBallard are not willing to admit that the '04 TSX is a somewhat problematic vehicle. It is well documented yet you are not willing to admit it. I call that close-mindedness and Honda/Acura bias. Online forums are also filled with opinions, which is what I gave. If that offended you, then you might need to grow thicker skin or reevaluate what you get when you visit online forums.

The argument is not whether TSX's are trouble free. Its weather 04's are. And again, judging by the all the problems reported on this forum and others and the fact that CR lists 04's as more problmatic there's no arguing that 04's have had their share of problems.

But like jlukja said, 06's on-ward seems to be trouble free.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Racer

I'm an engineer for a major electronics company, specifically I work in R&D on new product designs. Take it from me--NEVER buy a first-gen product of any kind. First-gen products are usually the ones that are pushed to market by marketing/upper management the hardest, and there's usually no way to fully understand all the bugs and flaws in time. We make high-quality, expensive products with an excellent reputation for quality and we run into the same issues. Definitely after a year all the major issues will be ironed out.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think some of this depends on how important 'trouble free' is the individual. I don't believe any of the problem areas of the early TSX ever left a driver stranded by the roadside.

For many, this is mostly what matters when they think of a reliable car. You also need to factor in the intangibles like: how much you enjoy being 'first on the block' or what the car gives in return when its working.

There were no shortage of little problem areas with our 2000 and 2001 S2000s that we never had with our 2004 and 2005 S2000s. Does this mean that I should have waited till 2004 to buy one? No way! I enjoyed every minute of the S2000 ownership and wouldn't change a thing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 TSX Ride & Drive