09 TSX oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 TSX oil consumption

Hello fellow AcuraZine users. My name is Christopher and I own a 2009 Acura TSX. I have owned it for roughly a year now and I love the car, but unfortunately I have ran into a few issues with it. One being the oil consumption problem it has had since I've owned it, which I am pretty sure I know why its doing this, piston rings/ pistons needing replacement. I found out I could take it to Acura and have and oil consumption test done. The first time I preformed the test Acura had overfilled my oil by at least half a quart, not sure if it was an accident or if they were trying to pull a fast one. Anyways had to take it back and restart the test again but this time I made sure the oil level was filled exactly to full so I could get an accurate test. After the 1000 miles went by I took it back and had burnt a little over a quart of oil which I thought was pretty significant and good enough for them to replace the pistons and piston rings, but unfortunately they denied me and said it wasn't burning enough oil for them to fix the issue. So my question is what should i do? I want to keep the car but don't have the money or knowledge to fix it myself, its clearly burning oil because I'm frequently adding more oil to the car but Acura wont fix it. What is their tolerance for how much oil should be consumed before they will fix it? Maybe do the test again but drive the shit out of it? I don't know I feel stuck because I can tell the performance of my car is slowly declining, when I accelerate it sounds like little rocks flying around in the motor which I know isn't right. One final issue I've had, ever since the first time I took it to Acura and they overfilled me with oil, my Check Emission System light has been on and stayed on, also since this last winter my VSA light turned on and it also hasn't turned off. I tried another TSX forum and nobody could help me so now I am here hoping you guys may have some answer for me! Thanks!

-Chris
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you have a 2009 Acura TSX which is out of warranty. I believe the warranty is for 4 years with 50k mile basic and 6 year with 70k miles powertrain warranty.

Acura is UNDER NO OBLIGATION to help you. if I were you, I would just keep adding oil to your car, as thats the only way to keep it from completely breaking.

as for the marble sounds, are you sure you're taking care of the car!?!??!?!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 AM
8th Gear

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about it being out of warranty, I was at the Acura dealership less than like 3 months ago and was told that it would be fixed no charge as long as I am burning enough oil. Called them last week to set up an appointment to try again and they said okay. And I don't want to have to keep adding oil to the car because I know its causing my car issues to be burning as much oil as it is. And yes I do take very good care of my car, why do you think I am on here trying to find solutions to the oil issue and engine lights coming on? I am no mechanic but have a good general knowledge of cars, I've been researching these issues for months and haven't had any luck. Acura might just suck who knows.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by topherj
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about it being out of warranty, I was at the Acura dealership less than like 3 months ago and was told that it would be fixed no charge as long as I am burning enough oil. Called them last week to set up an appointment to try again and they said okay. And I don't want to have to keep adding oil to the car because I know its causing my car issues to be burning as much oil as it is. And yes I do take very good care of my car, why do you think I am on here trying to find solutions to the oil issue and engine lights coming on? I am no mechanic but have a good general knowledge of cars, I've been researching these issues for months and haven't had any luck. Acura might just suck who knows.
so you need to tell us all important details...like if you have purchased an extended warranty.
how do I know if you have purchased an extended warranty or not?

2nd if you do have an extended warranty, leave your car at the dealership until they FIX it
Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 AM
8th Gear

Most of the engine light issues didn't pop up till I had Acura check it out the first time, I don"t know what they did but the Emission System light has been on since they had it.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM

read this.
http://owners.acura.com/Documentum/W...s/BWL38777.pdf

it tells you STEP by STEP on what to do
Old 06-14-2017, 11:07 AM
8th Gear

I do believe I have the extended warranty on the car, I failed to mention that and I apologize. I might just try that, they said if enough oil is consumed they would replace the pistons and piston rings, they also said if the inside of the cylinder walls were damaged bad enough they would replace the block. Apparently the K24Z3 is notorious for burning oil which is why I think its their responsibility to fix it
Old 06-14-2017, 11:07 AM
8th Gear

Awesome thank you justnspace
Old 06-14-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by topherj
I do believe I have the extended warranty on the car, I failed to mention that and I apologize. I might just try that, they said if enough oil is consumed they would replace the pistons and piston rings, they also said if the inside of the cylinder walls were damaged bad enough they would replace the block. Apparently the K24Z3 is notorious for burning oil which is why I think its their responsibility to fix it
so then bother acura with your concerns
The following users liked this post:
topherj (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you check the engine bay or underneath your TSX after it's been parked over night to see if your TSX is leaking oil vice burning oil? Do you see blue smoke coming out your exhaust tail pipes?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:14 PM
8th Gear

I have kept an eye on it and it never leaks a drop of oil, the weird thing too is that I haven't noticed any major blue smoke coming out the exhaust either, I am pretty positive its burning the oil though, if its not then its just magically disappearing.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
So you're at 1qt/1K miles. And they still won't fail the car??

I would suggest taking their test again. Maybe doing *something* differently will make it so that the car fails their test. Feel me?

The sound your engine is making should also be checked. Some questions on that though....are you using 87 or 93 octane? Has the car ever run low on oil?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Acura extended the warranty for this but I have also been reading/hearing that Acura/Honda says a quart every 1K miles could be "normal" so the process is occasionally going around and around. I am now having the same issue with my '09 but it doesn't seem like it will be worth the hassle and it's probably time for a new ride.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
So you're at 1qt/1K miles. And they still won't fail the car??

I would suggest taking their test again. Maybe doing *something* differently will make it so that the car fails their test. Feel me?

The sound your engine is making should also be checked. Some questions on that though....are you using 87 or 93 octane? Has the car ever run low on oil?
So you are (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) advocating warranty fraud? You do know that is a felony, right?

Either the car burns over a quart of oil or it doesn't.

Now there are a couple of legitimate things you should do to get an accurate test - drive the car as you normally would, including a couple of quick starts from stoplights or on a cold'ish engine if that's the way you normally drive.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Didn't want to create a new thread. Changed my oil today at 30% oil life left. I believe I was around ~4,000 to 4,500 miles for this oil change. Measured about 3/4 to 1 quart low. Certainly not as bad as 1 quart every 1K, but is this average or should I be concerned?

2012 I4 with 48K miles. Used mobile 1 0w-20 oil/filter. Always used 93 octane.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM

for me, I wouldnt be concerned. just be sure to top off the oil
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
for me, I wouldnt be concerned. just be sure to top off the oil
Is this typical? I've read the dance people do at the dealership to get this problem resolved and it always turns into a can of worms with the dealer generally saying "Since your oil changes weren't done here we are not covering it".
Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
Is this typical? I've read the dance people do at the dealership to get this problem resolved and it always turns into a can of worms with the dealer generally saying "Since your oil changes weren't done here we are not covering it".
thus why I would have no problem topping off the car. I wash my cars every week and even inspect things like brakes, tires, oil, etc. so, TO ME...I would have no problem topping off the car when it needed it.
for some, that dance may be too much and it would be more worthwhile to fight the dealer, etc...
but I find that dance tiring and my car is out of warranty, so it's up to me to take care of the car
Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
thus why I would have no problem topping off the car. I wash my cars every week and even inspect things like brakes, tires, oil, etc. so, TO ME...I would have no problem topping off the car when it needed it.
for some, that dance may be too much and it would be more worthwhile to fight the dealer, etc...
but I find that dance tiring and my car is out of warranty, so it's up to me to take care of the car
Good point. I am more interested in if this type of oil loss is to be expected, or if this is a sign that there are related components (piston rings?) wearing out prematurely that will require attention in the future. I don't mind topping it off now and then. All my high power V8's burned oil like it was going out of style
Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
So you are (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) advocating warranty fraud? You do know that is a felony, right?

Either the car burns over a quart of oil or it doesn't.

Now there are a couple of legitimate things you should do to get an accurate test - drive the car as you normally would, including a couple of quick starts from stoplights or on a cold'ish engine if that's the way you normally drive.
No. I'm not promoting any fraud.

But if the car were driven a little harder, it may use more oil. The car should pass under slightly "abnormal" driving conditions also. You don't want to nurse it into passing. You want to see if it will pass even if you drive a bit harder.

Didn't want to create a new thread. Changed my oil today at 30% oil life left. I believe I was around ~4,000 to 4,500 miles for this oil change. Measured about 3/4 to 1 quart low. Certainly not as bad as 1 quart every 1K, but is this average or should I be concerned?

2012 I4 with 48K miles. Used mobile 1 0w-20 oil/filter. Always used 93 octane.
Try a different oil or filter if you're burning 3/4qt every 4K miles. That's negligible...but a different oil brand that is less likely to burn off may "cure" it.

93 octane doesn't mean its top tier. Top teir gasolines have certain standards which Acura recommends adhering to. 93 is just an octane rating. Not a quality rating.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Good point. I am more interested in if this type of oil loss is to be expected, or if this is a sign that there are related components (piston rings?) wearing out prematurely that will require attention in the future. I don't mind topping it off now and then. All my high power V8's burned oil like it was going out of style
Very hit and miss. some are experiencing oil consumption and some arent.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
I had a little less than a quart burnt per 1000 miles. If you burn really closely to the 1qt/1000mile limit then speak with a service manager, explain how close it is and ask to speak with a regional representative. If it is burning like mine was then the closer you got to an oil change the more it would burn between top offs. The first 1000 miles it would burn under a quart, the next 1000 miles it would burn more, then again progressively more and more. I brought it into the service manager one day after the second 1000 miles, asked him to come take a look, pulled the dipstick out and showed him there was no oil on it. I told him the TSB extends the warranty for this specific issue and I would like a regional rep to look into this. So, he did that. The regional rep wanted proof of oil changes so I brought them a carfax. They did the rebuild for free and now when I change my oil there is no noticeable level change from when I filled it.

The rebuild does work, but you need to have proof of oil changes and you need to get a manager + rep involved.

If you're a quart low when your oil is due to be changed, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my '09 that I bought last October. I just contacted my dealer and found out that my car has an April '09 in service date so it's 8 yrs 2 months old and Acura extended the warranty to 8 yrs. blargh... The service manager said Acura is typically good about these things and that they'll probably cover 70-80% of it assuming it passes (or fails depending on your point of view) the oil consumption test. I'm going in next week for an oil change and then we'll go from there. Fingers crossed.