09 A4 vs 09 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I thought the A4 was more a competitor to the TL/3-series/G? The A4 with FWD and sub 200hp may be in the TSX's price range but would pale in comparison in features and reliability. I have to give it to the A4/A6 they are some lookers. I'd test drive before making a choice.

A decently loaded A4 with AWD is definitely a class up than the TSX.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
I can understand people who have been 'loyal' to their favorite car makers, but at the same time...why? At this point in time, if I was older...had a decent job, and was about ready to replace my TSX...the A4 would be screaming my name. Audi has taken some giant leaps forward from what I know of their previous reputation. I'm not only talking about their styling, performance, and ergonomics...but from what I've heard, their reliability has also taken a 180 degree turn for the good. Sure, they may not be perfect....and yea, Honda is definitely the king of reliability, but to be honest, I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of reliability for a more rounded car...and one that's progressing forward....not one that's staying the same, or much less going backwards.

2009 A4 > 2009 TSX IMHO[/QUOTE]

I agree..... if a couple thousands can get a nicer, more powerful, and a better looking car, the money is worth it to spend, plus the 09 is really ugly. I love my 05 TSX but the 09 one is just.........
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB00
I thought the A4 was more a competitor to the TL/3-series/G? The A4 with FWD and sub 200hp may be in the TSX's price range but would pale in comparison in features and reliability. I have to give it to the A4/A6 they are some lookers. I'd test drive before making a choice.

A decently loaded A4 with AWD is definitely a class up than the TSX.
if you don't like to look of the car, no matter how you feel the drive and you still won't get it.

Everyone know a Corvette is fast, but w/ the cost of it, I rather to spend the same amount on a Porscher Cayman!!! Which has a better looking in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Instructor

Audi is certainly making some nice looking and upscale vehicles these days. The new A4 has some very cool features including LED headlights, a nice interior, powerful engine options, etc.

That said, the A4 is more expensive than the TSX. And while Audi may be making some strides with reliability, it's very tough for me to trust them. I am looking to buy a long term, reliable car soon, and Audi (VW group) has such an abysmal reliability reputation... I just don't trust their cars enough to buy one.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

It sounds like everything I wished the 2009 TSX was...

Assuming reliability is at least average, this will be my next whip...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by spurfan15
Audi is certainly making some nice looking and upscale vehicles these days. The new A4 has some very cool features including LED headlights, a nice interior, powerful engine options, etc.

That said, the A4 is more expensive than the TSX. And while Audi may be making some strides with reliability, it's very tough for me to trust them. I am looking to buy a long term, reliable car soon, and Audi (VW group) has such an abysmal reliability reputation... I just don't trust their cars enough to buy one.

I think it's safe to say that they are at least average in the reliablility area. My sister has a 2000 VW Beetle and its suited her well and has never had in powertrain problems or anything like that. The original warranty was really lame which made you wonder, but she's never had any problems, I would think that they are probably even better now. I know one car doesn't justify the whole company, but....just saying.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spurfan15

Then don't buy one. I know the dangers of using single data points to evaluate things, but I'll do it anyway. A friend of mine has an 11 year old Audi A4 2.8 V6, the car has had a front suspension issue, that is it. It has never failed to start, never dies, never left him stranded, still looks great and drives great. 2 of my other friends both have Acuras, an 06 TL and an 06 TSX. The TL has a list of warranty items which need to be fixed every time it goes in for service. The TSX just had to have a new battery (at 1.5 years old!!!). I have to be honest, I am NOT blown away by Acura relibility. Maybe I expect too much due to Acura reputation. The A4 is now on the CR recommended list, and the reliability is now rated high. Don't confuse VW reliability, which is still horrible, with Audi relaibility, which is at an all time high, just because VW is Audi's parent company. Audi, as a brand, is continuing to seperate itself from VW. There is less and less platform and engine sharing as the years go on, and Audi began a renewed to quality about 3-4 years ago, and I believe it is showing.

Don't flame me, but the way it looks to me, contrary to their current advertising slogan, "Advance" it really looks to me like they are not advancing anything. Audi, on the other hand, with "Never Follow" seems to be living up to it. A few examples, the A4 was introduced to the USA in 1995, with a 5-speed automatic. The "ALL NEW 2009" TSX was introduced for the 2009 model year, with a 5 speed automatic. 13 years later, the Audi has a 6 speed automatic, and sometime in the 2010 model year, there will be a 7 speed DSG automatic available. Leuxs has 8-speeds in a few cars, MB has 7 speeds available, the industry standard in automatics is now 6-speeds, but the "NEW" TSX will get by with a dated 5 speed. Ironic, because the Acura could really use that extra gear to help the engine use the narrow power band better. What about direct injection? Audi started phasing it in several years ago, now it is standard almost across the line. Direct injection allows higher compression, better power/torque lower in the rev band, and better MPG. Acura? No, still relying on port injection even though GM, Toyota (Lexus) and the major competition is phasing it in to their product lines quickly over the next few years. The 2009 2.0T develops 265 lb/ft of torque, that is significantly MORE than the J32 in the TL. What about economy? Why is it that the 2 ton Buick Lucerne V6 is rated at 28MPG highway, the same as the TSX? Not impressive torque OR fuel economy. 201 HP from 2.4L 4 banger, I admit, is not bad, though the 09 A4 2.0T makes 211 from 2 liters. In fairness to Acura, it seems that they are on the cutting edge on interior features, nav with traffic and weather, direct i-pod hookup, etc.

If I sound disappointed, that s because I am very dissapointed. I have been lurking here, reading the posts and hoping to trade my car for a new TSX with K23T and SH-AWD (the TL is too damn big for me). I friend recently bought an RDX and I was very impressed with the responsivness of the drive train, but I do not want an SUV in any size, shape, or form. Make no mistake, I like alot of things about the new TSX, I really like the interior and the gauges, and the ELS sound system sounds great. I would paint the silly grille body color and that would make the exterior look just fine to me. But with only the 2.4 non turbo, 5-speed automatic, no direct injection, forget it, the 2009 A4 is without question, the way to go. Too bad. With the competition agressively raising the bar, I sure hope Acura can find enough buyers for the new TSX with its dated drivetrain technology. Acura is marketing the TSX as a "Sport Sedan", don't buyers of Sport Sedans look for these things? The mechanicals of a car to a Sport Sedan buyer are more important than the creature comforts.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJB_CHI
Then don't buy one. I know the dangers of using single data points to evaluate things, but I'll do it anyway. A friend of mine has an 11 year old Audi A4 2.8 V6, the car has had a front suspension issue, that is it. It has never failed to start, never dies, never left him stranded, still looks great and drives great. 2 of my other friends both have Acuras, an 06 TL and an 06 TSX. The TL has a list of warranty items which need to be fixed every time it goes in for service. The TSX just had to have a new battery (at 1.5 years old!!!). I have to be honest, I am NOT blown away by Acura relibility. Maybe I expect too much due to Acura reputation. The A4 is now on the CR recommended list, and the reliability is now rated high. Don't confuse VW reliability, which is still horrible, with Audi relaibility, which is at an all time high, just because VW is Audi's parent company. Audi, as a brand, is continuing to seperate itself from VW. There is less and less platform and engine sharing as the years go on, and Audi began a renewed to quality about 3-4 years ago, and I believe it is showing.

Don't flame me, but the way it looks to me, contrary to their current advertising slogan, "Advance" it really looks to me like they are not advancing anything. Audi, on the other hand, with "Never Follow" seems to be living up to it. A few examples, the A4 was introduced to the USA in 1995, with a 5-speed automatic. The "ALL NEW 2009" TSX was introduced for the 2009 model year, with a 5 speed automatic. 13 years later, the Audi has a 6 speed automatic, and sometime in the 2010 model year, there will be a 7 speed DSG automatic available. Leuxs has 8-speeds in a few cars, MB has 7 speeds available, the industry standard in automatics is now 6-speeds, but the "NEW" TSX will get by with a dated 5 speed. Ironic, because the Acura could really use that extra gear to help the engine use the narrow power band better. What about direct injection? Audi started phasing it in several years ago, now it is standard almost across the line. Direct injection allows higher compression, better power/torque lower in the rev band, and better MPG. Acura? No, still relying on port injection even though GM, Toyota (Lexus) and the major competition is phasing it in to their product lines quickly over the next few years. The 2009 2.0T develops 265 lb/ft of torque, that is significantly MORE than the J32 in the TL. What about economy? Why is it that the 2 ton Buick Lucerne V6 is rated at 28MPG highway, the same as the TSX? Not impressive torque OR fuel economy. 201 HP from 2.4L 4 banger, I admit, is not bad, though the 09 A4 2.0T makes 211 from 2 liters. In fairness to Acura, it seems that they are on the cutting edge on interior features, nav with traffic and weather, direct i-pod hookup, etc.

If I sound disappointed, that s because I am very dissapointed. I have been lurking here, reading the posts and hoping to trade my car for a new TSX with K23T and SH-AWD (the TL is too damn big for me). I friend recently bought an RDX and I was very impressed with the responsivness of the drive train, but I do not want an SUV in any size, shape, or form. Make no mistake, I like alot of things about the new TSX, I really like the interior and the gauges, and the ELS sound system sounds great. I would paint the silly grille body color and that would make the exterior look just fine to me. But with only the 2.4 non turbo, 5-speed automatic, no direct injection, forget it, the 2009 A4 is without question, the way to go. Too bad. With the competition agressively raising the bar, I sure hope Acura can find enough buyers for the new TSX with its dated drivetrain technology. Acura is marketing the TSX as a "Sport Sedan", don't buyers of Sport Sedans look for these things? The mechanicals of a car to a Sport Sedan buyer are more important than the creature comforts.
I completely agree with most of this post. It really depends on buyer IMO, but what you say about the differences between Acura and Audi (and many other luxury car makers) is spot on. If you look at aspects like transmission, powertrain, drivability, etc... Acura isn't advancing much at all at this point.

And the fuel efficiency is annoying too. The TSX is pretty good, but when you compare the power output and efficiency to some other makes, it really isn't that impressive.

I might end up test driving both the 2009 TSX and A4 and it really would not surprise me if I find the A4 to be the much sportier, better driving car. I also suspect you are right about Audi vastly improving their reliability -- that seems to be the indication these days.

I might consider the A4, but I think I'm still into the TSX, because interior quality and reliability are two of my top parameters (Acura still does a great interior, though Audis are really nice too). I'm waiting for the diesel engine, though. That engine will greatly improve torque -- something the TSX needs -- and will come with mid 40's MPG fuel efficiency. I'm excited about the diesel because it's finally something new to help revitalize Acura. We've seen a lot of incremental advancing, but this is finally a huge new feature. I really hope they don't botch the DTEC on the TSX, because that is the big hope for the TSX in my mind.

I probably won't forget the A4 though, I'll keep an eye on the reliability ratings, and if they continue to be good, I'll consider it.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

Why is it that the 2 ton Buick Lucerne V6 is rated at 28MPG highway, the same as the TSX?
Oops... the Lucerne is rated at 25MPG Hwy with the 3.8L V6, the Lacrosse is rated at 28MPG Hwy with the 3.8L V6. I mixed them up. I also messed up the TSX Auto Hwy MPG, the Auto gets 30MPG, the 6-Sp. manual is rated at 28MPG. So to be fair and compare automatic to automatic, the TSX gets 2MPG Hwy more than the big Buick Lacrosse. Actually, then, 30MPG Hwy for this car, considering its weight and that it is a 5 speed auto, is decent mileage. This is also supported by the fact that the 2008 TSX Auto is rated 28MPG Hwy, which means the 09 is a 2MPG improvement over the 08 TSX.

Spurfan,

As a former VW TDI owner, I agree with the torque comment, and I really like how the torque adds to the drivability around town for quick bursts of acceleration, a pretty addicitive thing. I am, however concerned that there will continue to be a significant premuim on the price of diesel due to refining capacity and supply issues of diesel in the USA.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Honda and Acura are really falling behind on technological advancments. I really like the part about the Direct Injection you were mentioning because that is such a big technology in today's automotive industry, Audi has it spot on applying their FSI in almost every single engine they produce.

My TSX is definitely the last honda/acura I own, but I will be keeping her for a long time. Love my 07.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Have to agree with most of everything being said here. I was waiting for the 09 TSX before I buy a car later in the year and feel soooo disappointed. Not only is it uglier and less sporty, it's even more expensive. I think my next car is gonna be a BMW or Audi.

One thing to add about the Audi, true they are not the most reliable, but for some odd reason it's actually slightly cheaper for me to insure than a TSX. The price ain't bad either, my sister-in-law got her 2.0T loaded for about 32k. And it's a real fun car to drive.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very well said.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro

Right on the money. I was sort of too scared to say it on these boards cause I'd get flamed immediately! Honda fans love their cars and I love their cars also.

I was actually seconds from buying an 08 TSX, but thought better of the idea. A friend of mine brought me onto the idea of an 08 Altima. I thought I'd never buy Nissan but after reading the forums on the 07-08 years of the new Altima, I was sold. I've had mine for about a month now and have had NO problems. I spent 4K less for a car with all of the same features as the TSX besides bluetooth, a nicer stereo system(maybe), and VSC.

TSX 2.4L
205 hp @ 7000 rpm
164 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm

Altima 2.5L
175 hp @ 5600 rpm
180 ft-lbs. @ 3900 rpm

I have pretty much everything you guys have, TPMS, Dual climate control, 8 airbags (5 stars all around in mine). I have a pretty cool push button ignition and buttons on the door handle so I never need to see my key, rear air conditioning for passengers, CVT transmission with 6 sportshift gears, and better gas mileage. And according to consumer reports, I have better acceleration. I get 32+ on the highway and about 23 in the city. Granted, it's a bigger car, but it weighs about 161 lbs less than the TSX. I think that my comparison isn't way off because everyone here compares the TSX to the Accord(which is larger than the Altima). Well, I'm comparing the TSX to the 08 Altima and if you want, 09 TSX.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked out an Altima at this year's auto show and was very impressed. Put a diesel engine in that car and it goes on my short list.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman
I checked out an Altima at this year's auto show and was very impressed. Put a diesel engine in that car and it goes on my short list.
Nissan has confirmed a diesel Maxima for 2010... No word on the Altima, though.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jackspat2
Right on the money. I was sort of too scared to say it on these boards cause I'd get flamed immediately! Honda fans love their cars and I love their cars also.

I was actually seconds from buying an 08 TSX, but thought better of the idea. A friend of mine brought me onto the idea of an 08 Altima. I thought I'd never buy Nissan but after reading the forums on the 07-08 years of the new Altima, I was sold. I've had mine for about a month now and have had NO problems. I spent 4K less for a car with all of the same features as the TSX besides bluetooth, a nicer stereo system(maybe), and VSC.

TSX 2.4L
205 hp @ 7000 rpm
164 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm

Altima 2.5L
175 hp @ 5600 rpm
180 ft-lbs. @ 3900 rpm

I have pretty much everything you guys have, TPMS, Dual climate control, 8 airbags (5 stars all around in mine). I have a pretty cool push button ignition and buttons on the door handle so I never need to see my key, rear air conditioning for passengers, CVT transmission with 6 sportshift gears, and better gas mileage. And according to consumer reports, I have better acceleration. I get 32+ on the highway and about 23 in the city. Granted, it's a bigger car, but it weighs about 161 lbs less than the TSX. I think that my comparison isn't way off because everyone here compares the TSX to the Accord(which is larger than the Altima). Well, I'm comparing the TSX to the 08 Altima and if you want, 09 TSX.
You were clearly not looking for what the TSX has to offer then. The Altima is nowhere near as sporty and not not provide anywhere close to the driving pleasure that the TSX does. If the drive is not that important to you, then the TSX usually is not the best choice.

Glad you found the right car for you as the TSX is not for everyone.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You were clearly not looking for what the TSX has to offer then. The Altima is nowhere near as sporty and not not provide anywhere close to the driving pleasure that the TSX does. If the drive is not that important to you, then the TSX usually is not the best choice.

Glad you found the right car for you as the TSX is not for everyone.
I'd have to disagree for sure. The Altima is sportier than the Accord and everyone on these boards compares the TSX with the Accord. Go test drive an 08 Altima 2.5SL. Not bashing the TSX. I love Acuras and I hope the brand doesn't go to shit. I was one of the first people to get TL pictures and post them on this forum back when it was ClubTSX.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I'd have to disagree for sure. The Altima is sportier than the Accord and everyone on these boards compares the TSX with the Accord. Go test drive an 08 Altima 2.5SL. Not bashing the TSX. I love Acuras and I hope the brand doesn't go to shit. I was one of the first people to get TL pictures and post them on this forum back when it was ClubTSX.
People make all kinds of goofy comparisons. Doesn't mean they're right.

The Altima is not as sporty as the TSX. The feel of the steering and the communication of the grip from the front tires is just not there in the same clear, communicative way it is on the TSX. The turn-in is not nearly as sharp nor does the Altima feel light and nimble.

The TSX is seldom compared to the Accord in driving dynamics. It is compared to the Accord in terms of equipment and comfort since the TSX is based off of the Accord Euro that is available to the rest of the world. Driving dynamics wise, the TSX has always been a cut above the regular USDM Accord.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I have pretty much everything you guys have (Altima).........CVT transmission with 6 sportshift gears......

Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

TSX 2.4L
205 hp @ 7000 rpm
164 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm

Altima 2.5L
175 hp @ 5600 rpm
180 ft-lbs. @ 3900 rpm

i think altima does not include HID lights, double wishbone suspension, 17inch rims, 8 inch navigation system with all contols in one place, and Acura has longer warranty and better resale. Weight is good for stable ride. u want to differntiate from Civic/Corrolla. Ever thought S Class is so heavy.
And altima cannot have better acceleration at higher speeds >60mph as TSX has lowest cd of 0.27 vs 0.30 for Altima. there is reason for short back of TSX.
There alot of intangible variables that make TSX desirable.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro

Sure. It might be a goofy comparison; my answer is go test drive. No need to hijack this thread anymore
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4&page=1&pp=40

If Audi's reliability comes up, my next car might be a 2010 A4 otherwise maybe a 2010 TSX if they put in a 6 speed trans, CVT, direct injection, touch button ignition, turbo, diesel, or something to satisfy my tech addiction. I like my CVT. It's nice to drive something different imo.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
why you want to compare Nissan with Acura. According to JD survey UK EuroAccord is No2 in its segment & No6 in all segments. The Closest Nissan came is No 15in its segment (Infinit G20) with overall ranking of No 99.
I think even Corrolla XRS will be better buy than Altima. Loads of space, 0.28cd, Sport suspension, 17inch rims,5speed auto with Stability etc.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-...557&EL=3196977
JD Power Survey 2007 - Family cars
2 Honda Accord
Rating 84.8%
Overall ranking 6th
http://www.whatcar.com/used-car-look...RT=2611&type=5
Honda has earned itself a regular top-five slot in the What Car? Reliability Index, while owners responding to the JD Power Survey praised their cars to the skies.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
why you want to compare Nissan with Acura. According to JD survey UK EuroAccord is No2 in its segment & No6 in all segments. The Closest Nissan came is No 15in its segment (Infinit G20) with overall ranking of No 99.
I think even Corrolla XRS will be better buy than Altima. Loads of space, 0.28cd, Sport suspension, 17inch rims,5speed auto with Stability etc.
my bad. Corolla XRS?? Toyota's entry into the sport sub-compact class..hmm. :surrender
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So you guys refuse to compare the TSX to the A4 or 3 series based on price so when a car with a similar price is mentioned (Altima) its not a competitor either?

Lets just agree that the TSX is in class of its own and can't be compared to anything
Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Racer

I understand people love the brand and the car like TSX in particular.... I love my 05 TSX as well but when the fact kicks in about how sucky on the 09 TSX, I would just admit it!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
So you guys refuse to compare the TSX to the A4 or 3 series based on price so when a car with a similar price is mentioned (Altima) its not a competitor either?

Lets just agree that the TSX is in class of its own and can't be compared to anything
Haha, seriously. A simliar priced Altima has everything the TSX has, except it has a 3.5L V6 instead of an inline 4.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes