Would it be obvious if I was driving while low on Manual Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would it be obvious if I was driving while low on Manual Transmission Fluid?

Bought some of the AC Delco (GM) Syncromesh fluid to alleviate the 3rd gear pop out issue. I was already at my dealer getting some work done (VTC actuator, oil consumption test) and asked if they could put in the AC Declo fluid. I figured they wouldn't since it wasn't a Honda part, but they were nice about it and just charged me a small fee for labor.

Anyways, a few days after the service I noticed I still had an entire unopened quart of fluid in my trunk. I had brought 3 quarts to the dealer and was under the impression that the capacity was 2.7 quarts, so I expected the third bottle to be mostly empty.

Is it possible that they quickly performed the service and there was enough old fluid that did not drain, so the entire 2.7 quarts was not added (but my level is full)?

Or is it more likely that they did not add enough and now I'm short on fluid? How would I be able to tell this? I haven't noticed anything obvious while driving and the 3rd gear pop-out issue is gone.

I live in a small apartment in the city so I don't have access to tools or garage space. It's difficult to get a service appointment at the dealer due to my work schedule, and I'd like to avoid bringing it somewhere else just to check if the fluid level is proper. So I'm turning to you guys first
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you will have to prop the car on 4 stands to make the car level.

then will need to check the over fill hole.
unbolt it, and if fluid starts coming out of it, they over filled.

if no fluid comes out; it might be under filled.

I changed my fluid a few months back and the shop over filled the tranny. I drained over 4 quarts when it only calls for 2.7 quarts.

I had no issues with it being over filled.
I changed it because I wanted the GM/AC delco stuff.

Ive done the tranny fill twice. and each time I bought 3 bottles of a/c delco
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
you will have to prop the car on 4 stands to make the car level.

then will need to check the over fill hole.
unbolt it, and if fluid starts coming out of it, they over filled.

if no fluid comes out; it might be under filled.

I changed my fluid a few months back and the shop over filled the tranny. I drained over 4 quarts when it only calls for 2.7 quarts.

I had no issues with it being over filled.
I changed it because I wanted the GM/AC delco stuff.

Ive done the tranny fill twice. and each time I bought 3 bottles of a/c delco
Thanks for the info, but due to my living situation (no tools or garage space) I am unable to check this myself. I'm wondering if there are any obvious signs I can check for while driving or shifting to tell if the fluid level is 0.7 quarts low.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I believe it would be NOTCHY as fuck. if a lack of fluid, i think you would know right away.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx_consultant
I had brought 3 quarts to the dealer and was under the impression that the capacity was 2.7 quarts, so I expected the third bottle to be mostly empty.:
Where did you get this "impression"? My OWNER'S MANUAL lists the MT capacity as 2 quarts...

Last edited by komplexZ; 07-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by komplexZ
Where did you get this "impression"? My OWNER'S MANUAL lists the MT capacity as 2 quarts...
welp I'm an idiot. I've had that number ingrained in my head since I first bought the GM stuff...now I can't figure out where I got it from. Must have been reading the spec for changing automatic transmission fluid (2.6 qt.) or something.

I guess there's nothing to worry about then. Seemed like the gearbox was a tiny amount more notchy then I remember, must have all been in my head.