Wiper fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiper fluid question

So, on Memorial Day I drove my 03TL under a bridge in downtown Atlanta. All of the sudden there was a giant splat and the whole driver's side windshield was covered in some funky goo stuff. I'm thinking here is a 400 pound pigeon living under the bridge and we've been pooped on. We were going at least 60 m.p.h.

I got out and looked (later) and there was a trail of it from the front bumper all the way to the trunk deck. So my whole car was bombed.

Anyway, when I turned on my wipers, I only got fluid on the driver's side and a very weak stream (maybe 5-6 inches) on the passenger's side. It took me far longer than it should have to (safely) clear the driver's side of the front windshield. I had to drive it with slop all over the passenger's side until I got to my destination where I could hose it off.

What do you think is going on? The motor is working and there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. I tried clearing the nozzles with a safety pin and it makes no difference. Passenger's side is dribbling fluid, driver's side seems fine.

What do y'all think?
Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
beatsme!
harharharharhar

I was going to say maybe the nozzle is clogged but you poked holes in that theory. harharhar

The following users liked this post:
beatsme (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

I'm gonna try again (to clear the passenger's side nozzle) before I leave work today. I used a safety pin before, going to try a paper clip this time. Thinking the hose or the Y joint is cracked? Is the nozzle plastic or metal?
Old 05-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Plastic. I had the exact same issue and it was a cracked nozzle.
beatsme (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by beatsme
I'm gonna try again (to clear the passenger's side nozzle) before I leave work today. I used a safety pin before, going to try a paper clip this time. Thinking the hose or the Y joint is cracked? Is the nozzle plastic or metal?
Hey beatsme, The W/S washer nozzles on my 03 TLS are plastic. The shape of the nozzle outlet orifice, is not round, it's rectangular, which provides for a wider spray pattern. After the part of the nozzle, you attempted to clean, there is (Close to a 90 Deg. bend), which may prevent, effectively trying to unclog it, with a paper clip, or safety pin, if the clog, is beyond the Bend. The best way to unclog it, is to use a thin but, flexible piece of wire. You could also try removing the hose, located under the hood, on the strut tower, and blow into the hose, toward the nozzle. Removing the nozzle for cleaning, is doable, but first, I think you must remove the hood insulation pad, to get to it, so that would be your last alternative. The hoses in question, are pretty durable, so I think it's unlikely, a cracked hose is the problem. P,S., Keep those monster pidgins in Atlanta!
beatsme (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

I'm sneaking out to look at it now.

Putting on my tinfoil hat in case the pigeons are nearby. And wearing a trench coat in case the HOA snitches are watching. I'm sure to get another letter from them in the mail.

By the time I got home from work today, neither side would work. I'm wondering if the tubing didn't get yanked around when the fender was replaced (after my wreck a few weeks ago) and has slowly come completely disconnected over the last few days of me messing with it. The reservoir was full when the fender and bumper were repaired. You can see that in the pictures I posted after the wreck. And the pump motor works---you can hear it.

Wish me luck.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

I drove it over to the church parking lot next door. I disconnected the hose (right before it disappears into that stuff on the hood). I can blow air through it to the nozzles so it isn't completely blocked.

And when I crank the car and run the wipers, no fluid is coming up through the tubing from the reservoir (even though I can hear the pump working). Fluid isn't running out from under the car either.

I'll get some more fluid tomorrow (just to be sure that isn't the issue) and check it out again in the parking lot at work. The shop topped off all the fluids when I had the timing belt replaced at the beginning of this month. Surely I haven't blown through that much fluid in a month.

Is it possible for the pump motor to "run" without pumping? Or maybe I cracked or punctured the reservoir the day I drove it to the body shop?

If it is out of fluid, I will never show my face here again.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

ProfessorFunk and Frankjnjr for the win, I think.

I took a gallon milk jug full of tap water outside and defiantly filled the reservoir (with the car parked in front of the building where everyone could see me). Cranked the car and, viola, the driver's side sprays just fine. The passenger's side still dribbles. So it sounds like the passenger side nozzle is indeed cracked as ProfessorFunk predicted. And I guess it actually does takes a gallon (or so) of fluid to wash off that much pigeon poo. I'll pick up a jug of wiper fluid next time I'm at Target.

When I take it in for the next oil change and brakes, I'll see if the shop can replace the passenger's side nozzle. For me, that is a safety issue and worth the cost of a repair.

I guess I should consider myself lucky. I pass Hartsfield Jackson on my daily commute so I can't rule out giant falling poo in my future. If something truly disgusting lands on my windshield again I'll just have to pull over and deal with it.

Thanks again for all your input. You guys are the best. And I'll post a copy of the HOA letter when it comes in the mail.
ProfessorFunk (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Our pigeons aren't a joke here in ATL, that's for sure.
I had to replace my hosing for the sprayers entirely, as the original stuff was hardened and cracked to all hell. While I was working on that, I removed the nozzles and soaked them in some lime cleaner for a few hours, giving them a good shake every now and then. Afterwards, using some spare tubing and a syringe, I blew the lime cleaner through them. Since then, they've been spraying like they're brand new!

Just something to keep in mind if anyone stumbles across this thread, looking for a DIY solution : )
Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Arkady,

What year is your TL? My hose/tubing was still pliable but it was in the 80's yesterday when we were messing around with it.

If your TL it is an 02 or 03, how'd you get around all that insulation stuff (under the hood) that is in the way? None of the videos I found online have a liner like that under the hood.

If I felt like I could get to the nozzle, I might try to remove it myself. Replacement nozzles are $25 so, even if I totally hosed it up, I wouldn't be out too much cash. Not sure about that liner though.

I'm used to Atlanta pigeons, too, but this poo was like glue it was so thick. It was under the bridge on 75NB (North Avenue, I think) next to the Varsity. Probably a well fed bird (or someone lobbed a frosted orange over the railing).
Beats me!
Liz
Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Hey beatsme, my TL is a '99 model so it's a tiny bit different from yours - not regarding the hood liner and spray nozzles though.
I had the hood insulator as well - you can get past that pretty easily. Just pull the little plastic tabs out (carefully!) and the insulator will fall right off. There's about a dozen of them - they look like black plastic disks. If you break the tabs on them during removal, they're dirt cheap from the dealer or from Amazon. I just grabbed a bunch of extras from the pull-aparts that are scattered around OTP.
My liner was also super old so it was basically falling apart as I took it off, but I grabbed a better-condition one from an '02 TL at the yard while I was getting new plastic tabs.
The nozzles are held in place with a few plastic tabs, but it's pretty straightforward on how to remove them once you have the insulator pad off.

Ah, if it was by the Varsity I'm sure that pigeon had a very grease-filled diet, so I'm not surprised!
Maybe someone just emptied a bucket of grease over the bridge? Wouldn't be surprised at that either with the shenanigans that occur here :P
beatsme (06-01-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Everyone,

I had new nozzles installed today (and an oil change and brake job).
Shop guys said the nozzle install was a real pain due to the insulation on the hood.
After I pick up some new tires, I'm all set for winter.
Any recommendations on tires? 02TL Base Model.

Thanks for all your help.