Will installing comptech springs cause extra suspension wear???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 01:39 PM
RWD convert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Will installing comptech springs cause extra suspension wear???

Would installing the comptech springs cause any extra wear on the suspension parts??? Would I have to get camber and alignment adjusted by dealer??? Cuz I know when my cousin installed coil overs on his Civic Si his bearings wore out quickly. Also, would installing comptech springs void your suspension warranty???

Old 11-05-2000, 06:15 PM
RWD convert

???
Old 11-05-2000, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

it should cause wear on your struts/shocks. supposedly, it takes about a year for them to give out. but no one has had to replace them yet. thats actually the only thing that kept me from getting the springs.

and warranty is also a scary thing. if your rotors warp, the dealer might not honor it

Old 11-05-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro

Cool

Yeah they do cause extra wear on the absorbers. This is because the firmer springs are too powerful for the abosrber. I switched the springs on my 92 Diamante and after a while i wore out my absorbers and boy was the ride bouncy, but they were old so who knows how they'll affect the new absorbers in the TL. About warranty, the dealer has to prove that the springs did cause the damage to void the warranty, but i haven't heard of rotors going bad because of springs....

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion 6.4 TV's (3), Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 11-05-2000, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

i mentioned that because 2gen tls rotors naturally went bad for many memebers
Old 11-05-2000, 10:44 PM
RWD convert

What can i do when i install comptech springs to make sure there is no extra wear on suspension parts such as absorbers etc.???
Old 11-06-2000, 04:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by [VTEC]TL:
What can i do when i install comptech springs to make sure there is no extra wear on suspension parts such as absorbers etc.???
You can buy shocks at the same time as the springs and have them installed at the same time. For shocks you can get the KONI's or the Tockico's

E-Mail me if you need help info@acura-tl.com

Old 11-06-2000, 01:30 PM
Pro

That's a good call...Plus by instlling the springs and absorbers at the same time, you'll save yourself some time in the future when your stock absorbers become shot...Would you also suggest new polyurathane bushings???

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion 6.4 TV's (3), Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 11-09-2000, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

i had eibachs on my 99 tl for about 15000 miles and i had to replace my struts and i replaced all 4 tires 3 times (i dont know if the person who did my allignment was a moron or what).
Old 11-09-2000, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Angry

OK, I know I'm not a physicist (I can't even spell it), but this doesn't make sense at all.

Comptech springs, or any other performance springs for that matter, are firmer than stock. The firmer the springs, the less the car goes up and down. The less the car goes up and down, the less the shocks/struts go up and down. The less the shocks/struts go up and down, the less wear they should experience, no?!?

Imagine if you put a steel rod in place of springs - the car would ride hard as hell but the shocks/struts would never travel. Thus, they should never wear out. I don't get this at all!!!

Comments/opinions? Einstein?

(BTW, what do you do and what's your education Einstein? Are you an engineer of sorts or just some 'wise guy'? Just curious... Me? Degree in Philosophy from UT Austin, so I sell wireless mobile broadband now. Go figure, the pay wasn't too good for mountaintop gurus last time I checked.)

------------------
'01 WDP TL
Momo shift, wing, tint, Whistler 6-band.
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
BBS, Kenwood 'Flip-face,' Fosgate Fanatic 4.9, Fosgate 8", Boston Acoustics.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:40 AM
Racer

you spelled physicist right.
if my understanding is correct, you still need the shocks. the shocks take in the imperfections on the road. since the springs are more firm (and shorter) your car is gonna experience more road imperfections and something has to take in the punishment.
stock shocks can't take the punishment that new springs would bring. they are not sport tuned; they are tuned to give the luxury ride that acura wants.
the spring holds the car firmer and closer to the ground, which gives it a lower center of gravity. springs support the weight of the car. comptech springs are softer than normal aftermarket springs, but are shorter. and that gives the car better handling. that's why most people on this board say that you don't necessarily need aftermarket shocks, but it would help in the long run.
shocks compliment the springs and it would be a good idea to get a set along with the springs.
shocks also control the amount of bounce you want in your car. konis have adjustable shocks that allow you to tune it to luxury (bouncy feel) or sport-tuned (tight feel).
steel rods or something that hard would not help without a good set of shocks.

hope this helps...i think this is right.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:49 AM
Instructor

go with tokico's shocks and ground control coilovers

ar
Old 11-09-2000, 10:14 PM
Pro

Originally posted by snook789:
You can buy shocks at the same time as the springs and have them installed at the same time. For shocks you can get the KONI's or the Tockico's

E-Mail me if you need help info@acura-tl.com

I noticed that the Mugen Spring has a rubber brushing , does it act as a shock absorber as well ?

Old 11-12-2000, 06:41 PM
Pro

Cool

That rubber bushing on the springs doesn't do a whole lot as an absorber. I have always understood the absorber as something which stops the springs from bouncing up and down once something has caused them so start moving. To me they are a stabilizing piece...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
No nav yet but soon!!!